UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Zahabi: Silva should drop to 170 for GSP

11/20/12 7:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP was around 190 and BJ penn was 168 when they fought. 

11/20/12 8:07 AM
KingOfFighters

Gsp should just admit he has no interest in the fight. Jesus christ gsp and his trainer act like they'd have to go through some life altering moves to fight anderson.

People move up and down all the time in all combat sports

Just admit you dont have the stones georgie Phone Post
11/20/12 8:13 AM
kkmmnn
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think GSP should be calling out Aldo, around a catch weight of 168.5... seems like a good fight, Aldo can move up just a tiny bit, GSP would have to make the difficult cut. i also think JDS should call out Silva at a catch weight of 168.5........ it only makes sense at this point.....

oh, and Cruz needs to move up to fight JBJ... to fight at 168.5

seriously though, this is getting stupid
11/20/12 8:16 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

So what? Why dont we just scrap all the weight divisions then since its now about who weighs what when walking around rather than the weight they make at the weigh ins

Penn chose to move up to 170 and challenge GSP for his belt. GSP didnt call him out demanding that he move up or fight him at a catchweight. Anderson has already admitted he is calling GSP out because he thinks its an easier fight. Yet all his fanboys are running around trying to make it seem like GSP is a threat to him

11/20/12 8:54 AM
guardbr8kr

KingOfFighters -  Gsp should just admit he has no interest in the fight. Jesus christ gsp and his trainer act like they'd have to go through some life altering moves to fight anderson.

"Just admit you dont have the stones georgie"

Ya, a guy that consistently has taken on the #1 contenders and destroyed them for years doesn't have the stones?

IDIOT.
11/20/12 9:54 AM
A bailie

kid chaos - Think gsp is being pressured into a fight he doesn't want. He knows he can't beat Anderson.

Same can be said for why Anderson won't fight bones, don't buy the "friends" bullshit. Anderson knows there is a good chance he will lose. Phone Post
Anderson would fight Bones. He might lose, but He might start clowning Jones and TKO him in the 2nd. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:22 AM
suess
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - 

If GSP called out Penn, you'd have a point here.  

11/20/12 11:09 AM
Standup29

I tried to post on this but the stupid app keeps getting stuck! So irritating!!! Last try.

1. What they weigh in the cage has less to do with wanting the fight at 170 compared to 177. The weight cut is the equalizer. Imagine Thiago only having to make 177 and think about not just how big he would be but think about how much better his cardio would be.

2. Carlos was noticeably bigger than GSP (height and reach) and it is no secret Anderson is larger than Condit with arguably an extremely better skillset.

3. This is what I think many are missing. Anderson has the opportunity to do something nobody has ever done and probably never will do again. He could easily be the 170, 185 and 205 champion. No easily I use lightly as he would be fighting 2 amazing fighters in their own weight class. He also has the skills and frame to challenge the HW champion as long as it isn't JDS. Talk about a legacy! As a fan of MMA and Anderson, this is what I want. Not just fight the Champions, fight them for their belts and WIN! Phone Post
11/20/12 11:17 AM
Slevin Kalevra

crazy dude is a stand up coach but his fighter is a wrassler, aka boring as fuck
11/20/12 11:21 AM
Steve4192
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this fight happens, the only fair weight to hold it at is 177 with a one pound allowance since there is no belt on the line.  Both of these guys are champions, but neither of them is putting a belt on the line.  Meeting in the middle is the only fair way to go about it.  Making Anderson come down to 170 would mean that GSP has to put his belt on the line while Anderson can leave his belt safely at home.

11/20/12 11:26 AM
muay_jitsu

This thread makes all GSP and Anderson fans seem like a bunch of whiney *******

If they can agree to a weight and want the fight it will happen. If not, oh well there are plenty of contenders for GSP and other options for Anderson.
11/20/12 11:31 AM
suess
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slevin Kalevra - crazy dude is a stand up coach but his fighter is a wrassler, aka boring as fuck

i laughed

11/20/12 11:47 AM
Sudo21
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If GSP called out Anderson, i would say that fight needs to happen at 185.

But Anderson and his team are calling out WW fighter to move up in weight (5, 10 or 15 lbs) while at the same time they don't want to fight against champion at 205. It's ridiculous that UFC is forcing GSP to take that fight while at the same time Anderson won't fight 205 champ.

Anderson challenged GSP so he should make weight GSP is comfortable at (170 lbs) or just STFU and fight Bones if he want's big superfights.
11/20/12 11:50 AM
orcus

Jons Forsberg - "But seriously, they obviously just don't want the fight. Why don't they just say so? "

for the same reason Anderson asked a catchweight for Jones when he's fought some of the biggest 205ers already. Trying to save face.

When did he do that? I've heard him say in many interviews "no, I'm not fighting Jones." I have never, ever heard GSP say that about Anderson.

11/20/12 11:56 AM
orcus

"yes height reach weight all have numbers but we've seen these numbers vary all the time. ive seen silva listed at 5'10 i believe back in pride. ive seen height and reaches change all over the place."

Anderson having a different number listed a hundred years ago in an organization not exactly known for being sticklers doesn't mean these numbers are meaningless. Measuring these things is not rocket science. Assuming they were 100% accurate, how would you incorporate them into the division of fighters?

for the most part it is a good working system. but things like day before weigh ins give guys 24+hour to rehydrate which defeats the purpose of getting a real weigh in."

It doesn't defeat the purpose at all. The purpose is not to make sure 170lb guys fight 170lb guys. It's to make sure 182lb guys aren't fighting 210lb guys. It's just to roughly separate the fighters by weight. The same weightcutting methods are available to everyone, as is the option to change divisions, and in general there's only so much variation you're going to see in a weightclass. That's what the system is for and what it does.

"sometimes the size difference is just obvious. like gsp vs silva.... "

When I look at them at their fighting weights I see a height difference and that's about it. Their reach is almost the same and in terms of build they look the same, except GSP's legs are bigger and shorter; and GSP is more ripped. What do you see other than the height difference? In what other way is there a visibly obvious "size" difference? If it's so obvious you should be able to tell me what you're seeing other than the height difference.
11/20/12 12:11 PM
Standup29

orcus -

"yes height reach weight all have numbers but we've seen these numbers vary all the time. ive seen silva listed at 5'10 i believe back in pride. ive seen height and reaches change all over the place."

Anderson having a different number listed a hundred years ago in an organization not exactly known for being sticklers doesn't mean these numbers are meaningless. Measuring these things is not rocket science. Assuming they were 100% accurate, how would you incorporate them into the division of fighters?

for the most part it is a good working system. but things like day before weigh ins give guys 24+hour to rehydrate which defeats the purpose of getting a real weigh in."

It doesn't defeat the purpose at all. The purpose is not to make sure 170lb guys fight 170lb guys. It's to make sure 182lb guys aren't fighting 210lb guys. It's just to roughly separate the fighters by weight. The same weightcutting methods are available to everyone, as is the option to change divisions, and in general there's only so much variation you're going to see in a weightclass. That's what the system is for and what it does.

"sometimes the size difference is just obvious. like gsp vs silva.... "

When I look at them at their fighting weights I see a height difference and that's about it. Their reach is almost the same and in terms of build they look the same, except GSP's legs are bigger and shorter; and GSP is more ripped. What do you see other than the height difference? In what other way is there a visibly obvious "size" difference? If it's so obvious you should be able to tell me what you're seeing other than the height difference.
Are you being serious about the height and reach? Carlos had a very visible height and reach advantage. You don't think Anderson would have the same if not greater with significantly better skillset? Come on Orcus, your just being silly. ;) Phone Post
11/20/12 12:16 PM
Fedors Jim Jams

^
the point of weight classes are so bigger guys aren't just tossing around smaller guys like severn did to macia? and goodrich crucifixing whathisname. weightclass is the best option but its not the only argument.

how do they look the same? because they are humans and have legs? to me, their obviously 2 different size and clearly in different size classes. are roy nelson, struve, and jds the same size? i don't know what to tell you. i've played in sports all my life and been in enough fights. i understand the difference. i know from experience. gsp used to be skinnier but has put on muscle to hang at 170... he's good enough not to have to skinny down and go to lightweight... but not good enought to finish contenders at 170. anderson is a pretty big middle weight who finishes contenders at 185. gsp has never fought anyone past 170... not even some top 20 at catchweight 175.... while anderson has good wins at 205.

jones vs silva makes more sense but id like to see silva fight 1 2 more good lhw... but the way jones is clearing out 205 him fighting anderson makes more sense. gsp hasn't finished anyone at 170 in years.
11/20/12 12:18 PM
ufc98newb
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 
Jons Forsberg - "But seriously, they obviously just don't want the fight. Why don't they just say so? "

for the same reason Anderson asked a catchweight for Jones when he's fought some of the biggest 205ers already. Trying to save face.

When did he do that? I've heard him say in many interviews "no, I'm not fighting Jones." I have never, ever heard GSP say that about Anderson.

don't you remember the whole "combat can happen" thing

11/20/12 12:24 PM
Standup29

Fedors Jim Jams - ^
the point of weight classes are so bigger guys aren't just tossing around smaller guys like severn did to macia? and goodrich crucifixing whathisname. weightclass is the best option but its not the only argument.

how do they look the same? because they are humans and have legs? to me, their obviously 2 different size and clearly in different size classes. are roy nelson, struve, and jds the same size? i don't know what to tell you. i've played in sports all my life and been in enough fights. i understand the difference. i know from experience. gsp used to be skinnier but has put on muscle to hang at 170... he's good enough not to have to skinny down and go to lightweight... but not good enought to finish contenders at 170. anderson is a pretty big middle weight who finishes contenders at 185. gsp has never fought anyone past 170... not even some top 20 at catchweight 175.... while anderson has good wins at 205.

jones vs silva makes more sense but id like to see silva fight 1 2 more good lhw... but the way jones is clearing out 205 him fighting anderson makes more sense. gsp hasn't finished anyone at 170 in years.
Makes a lot of sense. I'm a big fan of both guys but I honestly think most of the people putting down GSP for not taking this fight really just want to see him get ktfo. GSP hasn't finished a WW in years, why do they think he would finish Silva? GSP wins by dec and would get bashed for doing so. So why else would anyone really want to see this over Silve vs Jones? IMHO only to see GSP get ko'd and nothing else. Not many would appreciate the tactical fight GSP would have to fight in order to beat Anderson.

While I would no doubt love to see this fight it is more to create a legacy for Anderson and it is only if the fight is at 170 for the title. I have no doubt Anderson would win and then the only thing left is
For him to fight Jones for the lhw title and then either retire or challenge for the HW title and then retire. What would be left for him to do? At that point it's GOAFT! Phone Post
11/20/12 12:31 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only way I want to see either GSP/Silva or Silva/Jones is if it's for a title. I don't care if GSP moves up or if Silva challeges at 170 or 205. I just don't like the superfight concept among champs. It blurs the picture to me. I want champs in weight classes. If you want someone's belt challenge in the weight class. It certainly clarifies the P4P status.

Catch weight NOT among champs is fine with me and I wish it would happen more often.

11/20/12 12:34 PM
orcus

Fedors Jim Jams - ^

Why can't you tell me what the obvious signs of size difference, other than height, you are seeing between GSP and Silva at their fighting weights?

I can answer your question re: Struve, Nelson, JDS. Roy is short and fat with little apparent muscle. JDS is quite a bit taller with longer arms and much more muscle, he is much more powerfully built. Struve is much taller with much longer arms than either, but stretched out and less powerfully built than JDS. 

It's really not that hard. Other than height, a product of his longer (skinnier) legs, what do you mean by the obvious size difference between Anderson and GSP? Do you think it's not a fair fight because his longer, skinnier legs would let Anderson manhandle poor little GSP?

"GSP wins by dec and would get bashed for doing so"

lol at getting bashed, he would quite clearly be the greatest fighter of all time and you wouldn't even be able to make an argument for anyone else.

11/20/12 12:35 PM
UGCTT_AdamD
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JediJitsu -
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist -  GSP doesn't want the fight. Why force him? Have Silva fight a middleweight and shut the fuck up about this nonsense unless he is dropping down to 170. Phone Post

Agreed. 

I wish they would stop trying to force this fight down GSP's throat. The Andy cam during his fight, Rogan asking him about Silva in the post fight interview (after a hard fought war), and then Dana giving him two weeks to "decide" on what he wants to do (we all know GSP would be smeared hard by Dana if he turned it down), and Fox already trying to promote ("Are you ready for a superfight"), even the Anderson segment at the end of Primetime, its all extremely disrespectulf to GSP, and its a damn shame he has to deal with it the way its going down. He's one of the best ever, he's humble, respectful, honorable and probably the best role model in the business. He should be respected and honored by the UFC, not treated like a fucking pawn. 

QFTMFT! Phone Post
11/20/12 12:58 PM
KingOfFighters

guardbr8kr -
KingOfFighters -  Gsp should just admit he has no interest in the fight. Jesus christ gsp and his trainer act like they'd have to go through some life altering moves to fight anderson.

"Just admit you dont have the stones georgie"

Ya, a guy that consistently has taken on the #1 contenders and destroyed them for years doesn't have the stones?

IDIOT.
Georgie turns into a politician whenever asked about anderson....he doesn't have the stones to reach that pacqiao ali sugar ray status.

So in ur mind he can duck anderson and its not cowardice? Only in mma are pussies not given shit for it. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:03 PM
Fedors Jim Jams

orcus - 
Fedors Jim Jams - ^

Why can't you tell me what the obvious signs of size difference, other than height, you are seeing between GSP and Silva at their fighting weights?

I can answer your question re: Struve, Nelson, JDS. Roy is short and fat with little apparent muscle. JDS is quite a bit taller with longer arms and much more muscle, he is much more powerfully built. Struve is much taller with much longer arms than either, but stretched out and less powerfully built than JDS. 

It's really not that hard. Other than height, a product of his longer (skinnier) legs, what do you mean by the obvious size difference between Anderson and GSP? Do you think it's not a fair fight because his longer, skinnier legs would let Anderson manhandle poor little GSP?

"GSP wins by dec and would get bashed for doing so"

lol at getting bashed, he would quite clearly be the greatest fighter of all time and you wouldn't even be able to make an argument for anyone else.

i can't teach you to have common sense. your a fanboy who is blind to rational thinking that wants another reason to justify your hero worship of silva. go take pictures of gsp and anderson and go show people and take a vote. anderson looks to be taller, have longer legs and arms, and weighs more... and this is just through the media via video, pictures, etc. im sure the difference is much clearer in person. go find some guys with similar heights/weight and see for yourself. just my opinion. im not nitpicking numbers trying to rationalize anything. i just want to see good fights. im not even pushing for these "super fights". id like to see silva fight rashad or shogun or comparable... and jones dabble in hw against kongo or schaub or comparable.
11/20/12 1:12 PM
orcus

He's taller BECAUSE he has longer legs. He does not have noticeably longer arms according to the tape measure, although since it's wingspan I guess GSP could just have broader shoulders -- but that seems impossible because you guys keep talking about how much bigger Anderson's "frame" is. And he weighs (somewhat) more because he is fighting in higher weightclasses. He would not have a significant weight advantage at a catchweight; all evidence points to this.

"im sure the difference is much clearer in person."

Yes, GSP at fighting weight and Anderson at non-fighting weight is probably a very clear difference; however that's not how they'd be fighting.

" id like to see silva fight rashad or shogun or comparable... and jones dabble in hw against kongo or schaub or comparable."

The weight difference between every one of the fights you just listed is bigger than that between GSP and Anderson, even comparing GSP's weight at welter to Anderson's at middle. But I guess there's nothing as immediately obvious to the eye as height, so they must really be the same size.

If not for Anderson's longer, skinnier legs, he and GSP are built almost the exact same size, and this is with Anderson at MW rather than a catchweight:

Photobucket

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.