UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> who is for same day weigh ins??

11/20/12 8:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NorthernIrishZombie
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MdGeist - Same day weigh ins.

Or weigh ins followed by re-weigh ins on the same day of the fight to be within a 5-10lbs. of the official weight, like they've been doing in high-profile boxing matches for the past few years

This. I like the idea of the day before weigh-ins and then having the guys weigh in a few hours before the event and having to be within a certain limit of the weight class. Surely it would put guys off making drastic cuts.

11/20/12 8:11 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
NorthernIrishZombie - 

Or weigh ins followed by re-weigh ins on the same day of the fight to be within a 5-10lbs. of the official weight, like they've been doing in high-profile boxing matches for the past few years

This. I like the idea of the day before weigh-ins and then having the guys weigh in a few hours before the event and having to be within a certain limit of the weight class. Surely it would put guys off making drastic cuts.

big cut, rehydrate, small cut, rehydrate. Even more taxing on the body.
11/20/12 8:15 AM
kkmmnn
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah..... no. definitely the day before. i'm not game for seeing a bunch of strung out, dehydrated fighter's come in and fight shitty fights due to difficult cuts, and it's NOT just as easy as "moving up and fighting at natural weight yada yada yada"
11/20/12 8:17 AM
Ensanity
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

supremexb -

Boxing used to do day of problem was guys were cutting to there weight but to weak to perform.

This. Phone Post
11/20/12 8:33 AM
mrgoodarmbar
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that they should immediately start recording weight at fight time. If you want to address any issue you've got to have the data first. So continue with the current system, but just record and show what they weigh at fight time.
11/20/12 8:41 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will see guys who have shitty cardio and all the fights would be boring. Dehydration and probably multiple deaths. There is nothing wrong with cutting. The solution is more weight classes but that would dilute everything and everyone would bitch about that. Do you think everyones best weights are exactly 155, 170, 185 and 205? That is ridiculous, some guys best weights might be 178 what do they do? Cut or be a tiny mw? You would have guys who are naturally at their peak at 170 having a huge advantage over someone who would have to cut and come in dehydrated, and they would be at a severe disadvantage if they went up in weight and fought someone bigger. That isn't really fair
11/20/12 9:09 AM
Wovito

Easytarget - 
BoilerBrawnByBeatdown - fuck it, weigh in right before they step into the octagon!

I dont think that is a bad idea, except it may be too risky with people missing weight esp. for big title fights.

THIS.

Fix the problem of fighters missing weight on the way to the ring via purse deduction. If they com in way off (say +5 lbs), they can't fight and are huge scumbags.
11/20/12 9:30 AM
Seats Taken
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If fighters fought at their "walk around" weight, the WW division would be the LHW division.

It's hard to judge grappling sports with striking sports for this, I've competed in both and cut a lot of weight for both. You can wrestle or grapple after cutting weight you just gas out. After a weight cut, I could not take a shot to the head immediately after.

Also weighing in the day before gives the fighters time to focus. They made weight, give them a day to just focus on the fight, get hydrated and get in the right mindset. People would still cut weight, even if it wasn't as much but that's too much to worry about the day of the fight. Phone Post
11/20/12 9:48 AM
A bailie

I'm in for day before weigh ins. I think the same day weigh ins, guys would still try to cut the most weight they can.  Too dangerous IMO. 

11/20/12 9:54 AM
OmgItsTheWams
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same day weigh ins suck and make you drained as shit because no matter what it messes with the schedule of fight day for the fighters Phone Post
11/20/12 12:17 PM
orcus

mdrndaysamurai - 
orcus - 
mdrndaysamurai - what are the advantages to the day before weigh ins? thoughts?

The advantage is that guys have more time to rehydrate and eat and thus are in the ring in better health with more energy and able to put on better fights. 

There's no reason to think same day weigh-ins would stop weightcutting in MMA any more than it does in wrestling. And what happens when a guy tries to cut and misses weight an hour before the show? His opponent is even more pressured to take the fight anyway than he is now. The show must go on.

if people did NOT cut weight at all they would have more energy. even with a day to recover you can cut enough that your energy systems cannot recoup before the fight. i guess i'm saying ideally, if no one cut weight in any way, we would see more productive athletes.

There is no reason whatsoever to think people would not weightcut. Wrestlers cut weight even with weigh-ins just one hour before the meet.

They might cut less with same day weighins, but with less time to recuperate, the results would be the same or arguably worse and more dangerous.

The only way to actually ensure no weightcutting would be to weigh them on the way to the ring, and if they're over the weightclass limit, cancel the fight, don't pay them, and ideally cut them from the roster. This would obviously never, ever happen.

11/20/12 12:57 PM
DiscipleDojo
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder

I like the idea of having a max number of lbs you can regain before the fight (preferably between 5-10lbs). I'd like to see a cap on how much you could regain via hydration along with a 50% purse forfeiture (25% to opponent, 25% to opponent's trainers/coaches or to a charity determined by the opponent) for anyone missing weight or putting regaining too much.

This seems like it would do more to curb ridiculous weight cutting than same-day weighins only. It would make fighters more open to fighting in their normal weight class rather than trying to milk the system to their advantage.

11/20/12 1:01 PM
TheBigBadBootyDaddy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - could actually end up with more gassing due to this, no guarantees.

which weight class sports have same day weigh ins and which dont? i dont think MMA is the first to do day before weigh ins.
International wrestling has day before weigh ins.

High school and college wrestling are same day weigh ins. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:23 PM
Akston
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People who don't compete or fight love the idea of same day. Those who actually train know better. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:32 PM
crowbar
718 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/20/12 2:01 PM

To make this a fair & level playing field for everybody,I propose that fighters step onto the scale right before they fight.If you fight at 170,that`s what you fight at in the cage.Separate all of your bullshit days before the fight if you have to.

11/20/12 1:48 PM
armbarheelhook
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiscipleDojo -

I like the idea of having a max number of lbs you can regain before the fight (preferably between 5-10lbs). I'd like to see a cap on how much you could regain via hydration along with a 50% purse forfeiture (25% to opponent, 25% to opponent's trainers/coaches or to a charity determined by the opponent) for anyone missing weight or putting regaining too much.

This seems like it would do more to curb ridiculous weight cutting than same-day weighins only. It would make fighters more open to fighting in their normal weight class rather than trying to milk the system to their advantage.

sounds good... normal weighins... then before they step into cage must weigh within 5lbs of their division for nontitle fights, must weigh exact for title fights. if you are over, fight still happens but forfeiture of some monies. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:59 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiscipleDojo - 

Maybe the best post on this thread.

I'm not sure exactly how to fix it but in many cases drastic weight-cutters are defeating the purpose of weight classes (to an extent)

11/20/12 2:34 PM
MdGeist

NorthFromHere - 
NorthernIrishZombie - 

big cut, rehydrate, small cut, rehydrate. Even more taxing on the body.

Pacquiao, Mayweather, Marquez, and pretty much all of the high profile boxers agree on stipulations to re weigh-in on fight day and to be within an agreed upon maximum weight.

They did the same thing when Rumble fought Vitor and missed weight at the official weigh ins but Vitor agreed to fight as long as he was something like 190-195 on fight day.

I think more high profile MMA fights will be arranged this way in the future.

11/24/12 10:47 PM
mdrndaysamurai
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 
mdrndaysamurai - 
orcus - 
mdrndaysamurai - what are the advantages to the day before weigh ins? thoughts?

The advantage is that guys have more time to rehydrate and eat and thus are in the ring in better health with more energy and able to put on better fights. 

There's no reason to think same day weigh-ins would stop weightcutting in MMA any more than it does in wrestling. And what happens when a guy tries to cut and misses weight an hour before the show? His opponent is even more pressured to take the fight anyway than he is now. The show must go on.

if people did NOT cut weight at all they would have more energy. even with a day to recover you can cut enough that your energy systems cannot recoup before the fight. i guess i'm saying ideally, if no one cut weight in any way, we would see more productive athletes.

There is no reason whatsoever to think people would not weightcut. Wrestlers cut weight even with weigh-ins just one hour before the meet.

They might cut less with same day weighins, but with less time to recuperate, the results would be the same or arguably worse and more dangerous.

The only way to actually ensure no weightcutting would be to weigh them on the way to the ring, and if they're over the weightclass limit, cancel the fight, don't pay them, and ideally cut them from the roster. This would obviously never, ever happen.

i wrestled and i never cut weight the same day. but i know i am an exception
11/24/12 10:48 PM
mdrndaysamurai
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Akston -  People who don't compete or fight love the idea of same day. Those who actually train know better. Phone Post

lol - i started the thread and i have competed in just about every combat sport you can name. don't generalize.
11/24/12 10:50 PM
VitorSuckedBonesToes

Me Phone Post
11/25/12 3:09 PM
HenryO

At the least the UFc could get guys to hop on the scales day of the fight unofficially
11/25/12 3:16 PM
abick23
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weighins day off are dangerous! People will still cut weight and not be able to rehydrate in time. For everyone who thinks cutting weight is cheating , it is a skill just like grappling and striking, and should be practiced ! I have done both day of and same day weighins and cut a good bit day before and have always been bigger than my opponent . It is a skill that I have worked on . Phone Post
11/25/12 3:26 PM
VitorSuckedBonesToes

Well too bad for them then.

Weight cutting is stupid imo.
I just don't understand how culture has accepted and ingrained this into youth in sports as a wise idea to gain an advantage .

Train hard.
Be normal.
Fight your heart out.

Like Fedor. Phone Post
11/25/12 3:54 PM
theshooter
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been saying for years that same day weigh ins would change the dynamic of this sport. Fighters wouldn't be able to "hide out" in weight classes where they are really too big to be fighting anymore.

There were same day weigh ins when I wrestled in high school, so it should be OK for MMA.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.