UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> who is for same day weigh ins??

11/25/12 4:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DatSpider
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/25/12 4:49 PM
I don’t consider that a good idea, sorry.

The fighters need a day to clear their mind and body to be a hundred percent ready for their fight the next day. I mean, the vast majority of people in the biz cut weight so they need the infamous 24-hours to fully rehydrate themselves in preparation of their fight, their livelihood, their only chance to make an impact. To deny them the opportunity to fully recover their bodies would not only increase their health problems, but also result in horrible match-ups where the fighters gasses horrible, and where they fight like an entirely different person.

From a promotional standpoint, it doesn’t make sense either. The UFC ( and the fans) would lose some of the mystique of the fight week. A lot of interesting things occur during the stare-downs that could potentially motivate people into buying the PPV. A good example is when Silva smacked sonnen during weigh ins.

As long as you can make weight in a division, consistently, you belong there and since everybody is essentially different, there will never be two people who weigh exactly the same. The fights are not won or lost due to one fighter being 8 pounds heavier than his opponent.
11/25/12 5:52 PM
DiscipleDojo
601 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disciple Dojo, L3C, Founder

If cutting large amounts of weight is a skill, one could easily argue that cycling PEDs takes an equal amount of skill.

11/25/12 6:21 PM
FOX Force Five
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To change to same day would not only require a change by the promotion but also a change in the whole culture of the fighters.

If the latter doesn't happen then there is the risk of fighters being hurt.

11/25/12 7:11 PM
DiscipleDojo
601 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FOX Force Five - To change to same day would not only require a change by the promotion but also a change in the whole culture of the fighters.

If the latter doesn't happen then there is the risk of fighters being hurt.

But if the governing bodies made the change, fighter culture would have to adapt. Those that didn't would reap what they sow in terms of continuing to try to milk the system. I think it could happen in less than 5 years pretty easily...especially if they did the rehydration limit and strict, heavy fines for those who didn't comply.

11/25/12 7:27 PM
Aleck911
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weightcutting is part of the sport
As is day before weigh ins
If it ain't broke don't fix it Phone Post
11/25/12 7:46 PM
Lionpaws
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would still cut my 15 pounds on the day of and get my iv and hydrate to the gills and still be able to compete just fine as long as the weigh ins were before 10am. I've done it before. Before I got in strikeforce Nebraska had same day weigh ins. It was rough but if you're smart it can be done. Still fought well over 200lbs. Phone Post
11/25/12 8:20 PM
Jons Forsberg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who cares. people are way too obsessed with weight round here.
11/25/12 8:57 PM
Lionpaws

Billytk -
Lionpaws -  I would still cut my 15 pounds on the day of and get my iv and hydrate to the gills and still be able to compete just fine as long as the weigh ins were before 10am. I've done it before. Before I got in strikeforce Nebraska had same day weigh ins. It was rough but if you're smart it can be done. Still fought well over 200lbs. Phone Post

Why not just fight guys your own size rather then dehydrating yourself and killing your kidneys/endurance.
Ideally the weigh-in should be on the walk to the cage
I'm forced to cut so much because ppl at 205 are coming down from as high as 250. That's not an exaggeration. Y last few SF fights I've witnessed at least 4 light heavy weights that have shown up on fight week at 225-230. We're all pros at this... U don't think those same guys would do the what I would and still do it fight day? Phone Post
11/25/12 9:03 PM
tanner904

Frankie Edgar and bj penn are probably just a few guys that would be all for it Phone Post
11/25/12 9:11 PM
youarewhatiswrong
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

day before and day of.
11/25/12 10:20 PM
DEZBOT

MdGeist - Same day weigh ins.

Or weigh ins followed by re-weigh ins on the same day of the fight to be within a 5-10lbs. of the official weight, like they've been doing in high-profile boxing matches for the past few years
Yeah then what happens at the 2nd weigh if they aren't in range? Call the fight off? Too much on the line to risk it, especially with fighters like AJ and gabe rudiger around Phone Post
11/26/12 11:43 AM
bhealthy

these results have been consistent for years, so the orgs are pretty much sayin fu*k the fans. They would have less heroes to worship if they knew how well their favourites would do against someone thier own size.
11/26/12 3:16 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBigBadBootyDaddy - 
Wasa-B - could actually end up with more gassing due to this, no guarantees.

which weight class sports have same day weigh ins and which dont? i dont think MMA is the first to do day before weigh ins.
International wrestling has day before weigh ins.

High school and college wrestling are same day weigh ins. Phone Post

What about judo, TKD, kickboxing, etc?

Pro-boxing as we know has them before. Not sure about amateur.

I'm all for guys fighting each other at as equal size as possible but its not like the UFC/MMA is exception in day before weigh-ins in weight class combat sports either. And its not like the weight classes are any wider in terms of actual weights than the other sports i dont think.
11/26/12 3:21 PM
Lazer MMA

Let them fight at there REAL weights. Let's no longer see who is best at cutting and fighting, only who is the best fighter.
11/26/12 3:30 PM
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel polls like this should not have a third option. If someone is too indecisive to give an opinion, they don't deserve to see the results.
11/26/12 3:31 PM
orcus

As long as we're suggesting wildly implausible, will never be implemented in a million years  "solutions" to the "problem" of weightcutting, just have the official weighin the day before like usual, and another weighin on the way to the ring. If you're more than 5lb over your official weight, you start the fight at a 1 or 2 point deficit. Then you basically have to finish your opponent if you want to win. 

The fight still goes on, so the promoter is happy, and now one guy at least will be more actively looking for a finish, thus making it a more exciting fight. 

BOOM.

11/26/12 3:38 PM
BRUCEYI
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - could actually end up with more gassing due to this, no guarantees.

which weight class sports have same day weigh ins and which dont? i dont think MMA is the first to do day before weigh ins.
Wrestling tournaments have same day weigh ins. The light weights might only get 2 hrs to hydrate sometimes. Ammy mma typically has same day weigh ins

I'm against cutting weight, as a fan and ammy fighter. But same day weigh ins aren't going to change that Phone Post
11/26/12 5:53 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think it was noted that international wrestling tournaments (Olympics, Worlds?) have day before weigh ins though.
Again, curious as to judo, TKD, diff kickboxing orgs, Muay Thai, etc.
Also, again, we know pro-boxing has weigh-ins before, not sure of ammy boxing.

Even without weight cutting, there are still going to be size disparities. Again, im all for closer sizes. Im not sure i really care for same day weigh ins or not.
11/27/12 8:06 AM
Aleck911

Billytk -
Aleck911 -  Weightcutting is part of the sport
As is day before weigh ins
If it ain't broke don't fix it Phone Post

The point is that it IS broke we have guys fighting in weight classes they have no business in
No it ISN'T broken
If the fighters are making the weight on the day specified, they have every right to be in that weight class.
The playing field is extremely level
If you don't want to cut weight then don't.
If you don't want to train BJJ then don't.
Weight cutting is part of the game
The choice is up to the fighter. He knows the set rules before the fight. Phone Post
11/27/12 9:32 AM
DiscipleDojo

orcus - 

As long as we're suggesting wildly implausible, will never be implemented in a million years  "solutions" to the "problem" of weightcutting, just have the official weighin the day before like usual, and another weighin on the way to the ring. If you're more than 5lb over your official weight, you start the fight at a 1 or 2 point deficit. Then you basically have to finish your opponent if you want to win. 

The fight still goes on, so the promoter is happy, and now one guy at least will be more actively looking for a finish, thus making it a more exciting fight. 

BOOM.

I like it.

11/27/12 9:35 AM
Aleck911

No not an art
But part of the sport

JBJ is a black belt at cutting weight
Anthony Johnson needs to trane more Phone Post
11/27/12 9:51 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
orcus - 

BOOM.

not a bad idea but I think most would still come in overweight -> both guys start with a point deficit -> even score.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.