UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Vote Downs are Cyber Bullying on UG

11/20/12 1:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Farewell Brock
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suess -

i'm pretty sure someone is searching for threads i made and voting me down pretty regularly.  i really don't care about my arrow but i thought that was kind of funny. 

also, anytime you make a thread about the voting system you are sure to get a bunch of -3s.  

Not to mention any time you have a negative opinion on nick Diaz. I went from -3 to -8 over night and I had made 1 comment about him. Phone Post
11/20/12 1:54 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*Supporting
11/20/12 2:04 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you think it would help if the votes were public? Then if the same people are consistently voting you down, it shows they are abusing the system. If it is all different people, that aren't obvious troll accounts, then you know it's just that people in general don't like you or your demeanor.

I'm not saying that either one is the case.. I'm just trying to get people to consider public votes. Everytime I mention it, it gets ignored.. or the only people who comment on it make assumptions that aren't true. I've seen the system work on other forums, and while it doesn't completely end people abusing the system, it becomes blatantly obvious who is really quick.

Right now the vote system is there to slightly assist mods in freezing troll threads quicker, and as a form of popularity contest.. there is no real feedback.

Like right now, I have no idea who Pancake Syrup is or why he is at +5. If I could click on his votes and see that his vote ups are from Kirik, DamnSevern, etc.. I know this guy is probably a quality poster. If I click on his votes and I see he's been voted up by accounts that have been made in the last month, then I can guess this guy might be abusing the system, or that he's just made some other trolls happy.

I mean, it's not black and white like that.. but you can see how it's a lot better than this anonymous system we have now.

And once again I've made another long post about this that will get ignored. Yay.

11/20/12 2:20 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_EnderTL - 

Do you think it would help if the votes were public? Then if the same people are consistently voting you down, it shows they are abusing the system. If it is all different people, that aren't obvious troll accounts, then you know it's just that people in general don't like you or your demeanor.

I'm not saying that either one is the case.. I'm just trying to get people to consider public votes. Everytime I mention it, it gets ignored.. or the only people who comment on it make assumptions that aren't true. I've seen the system work on other forums, and while it doesn't completely end people abusing the system, it becomes blatantly obvious who is really quick.

Right now the vote system is there to slightly assist mods in freezing troll threads quicker, and as a form of popularity contest.. there is no real feedback.

Like right now, I have no idea who Pancake Syrup is or why he is at +5. If I could click on his votes and see that his vote ups are from Kirik, DamnSevern, etc.. I know this guy is probably a quality poster. If I click on his votes and I see he's been voted up by accounts that have been made in the last month, then I can guess this guy might be abusing the system, or that he's just made some other trolls happy.

I mean, it's not black and white like that.. but you can see how it's a lot better than this anonymous system we have now.

And once again I've made another long post about this that will get ignored. Yay.

I'll help you guys out...

11/20/12 2:20 PM
ABE FROMAN

UGCTT_EnderTL - 

I'll answer you just to make sure you don't get ignored.

It all makes perfect sense and I've suggested it before.

Right now the way voting works is that people who primarily post on the UG tend to make MMA posts and get voted down either by others who disagree or who just plain dislike them.

These votedown trolls go to the OG and beg for votes, that's why there's like 5 threads with Posters exchanging up-votes for nothing.

Then they'll come right back to the UG and vote down again. 

It's an easy way to freeze people you don't like.

11/20/12 2:33 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL

ABE FROMAN - 
UGCTT_EnderTL - 

I'll answer you just to make sure you don't get ignored.

It all makes perfect sense and I've suggested it before.

Right now the way voting works is that people who primarily post on the UG tend to make MMA posts and get voted down either by others who disagree or who just plain dislike them.

These votedown trolls go to the OG and beg for votes, that's why there's like 5 threads with Posters exchanging up-votes for nothing.

Then they'll come right back to the UG and vote down again. 

It's an easy way to freeze people you don't like.

Thank you. I don't even care if you argued.. it's just this is the third lengthy post I've made on the subject and haven't gotten a real reply, when there have been mods in the thread.. it's weird they never seem to address the topic.

I wouldn't care if they completely removed the system. I do think that the forum could be better with the system, but right now they just have it implemented in the worse way possible.

It's kind of sad how much I honestly appreciate a reply. Lol.

11/20/12 2:36 PM
SkooterFanForLife
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Want some guaranteed vote downs, just point out nick Diaz facts. Even if true and not bashing, his posse of huggers will stalk you for days.
11/20/12 2:37 PM
JerodR
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, Kirik should of had a system that forces the voter to select a reason for a vote up/vote down that is visible by all when you scroll over your votes. You should be able to see that last 100 votes, sources, and reasons. That way when a select group is targeting you Kirik and everyone else would no that they were BS. Without having a system in place like to that the voting thing has little to no merit, and shouldn't even be on the forum IMO.
11/20/12 2:43 PM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 11/20/12 2:43 PM
JerodR - No, Kirik should of had a system that forces the voter to select a reason for a vote up/vote down that is visible by all when you scroll over your votes. You should be able to see that last 100 votes, sources, and reasons. That way when a select group is targeting you Kirik and everyone else would no that they were BS. Without having a system in place like to that the voting thing has little to no merit, and shouldn't even be on the forum IMO.

Correct. I suggested this on a UG thread I made about a month ago. There is no incentive to add great posts to the forum when they are simply going to be ignored by people who could vote-up and deluged by trolls who are itching to vote down.

There IS an incentive to votedown because you can freeze people with no repercussions. 

What's sad is that there are running threads on the OG that clearly go against the whole purpose of the system.

'Please vote me up and I'll vote you up on this thread' 

Meanwhile UG'ers have to claw to avoid a freezing by trolls.

C'mon son.

11/20/12 2:47 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

The Admins can see all of that. Not sure there is a need for the masses to see it.

11/20/12 2:49 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never been frozen to my knowledge, and I have some hugely differing opinions. Many times unpopular. But by being respectful and coming at topics with a sense of rationalism usually people may not like what I say but they respect it.
I mean sometimes I don't. But that's life.

And im by no means the most respectful or kindest but I make an effort even when I have really contrasting views with other members. Phone Post
11/20/12 2:49 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_mrzipplokk -

The Admins can see all of that. Not sure there is a need for the masses to see it.

It would be cool. Phone Post
11/20/12 2:52 PM
JerodR
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

Because the sheer nature of trolling is people that hide behind a screen name. Although it would be a small thing the ability for people to see why someone was voted for and who did it would take just a little bit of that hiding away. Anytime you can add a bit of accountability for someones actions on the forum, you improve the forum over all.

I too had a thread addressing this quite a long time ago. I have run many other forums and tried the voting thing before. When it is kept in secret such as the current set up, it tends to lead to problems overall.
11/20/12 2:54 PM
SpiritualElixir

vote downs and ups are great as a tool for mods, but having them displayed is causing abuses to the system.

I honestly dont care, and none of you should care if you are negative or positive votes.  I have made only positive threads on my new account, my previous was banned NPD account and just because I am NPD I get voted down daily.  Abuse of the system.

I made a thread asking how Rickson in ufc 1 would effect the sport, got voted down.

I made a thread expressing how Tirloni was robbed, got voted down

I made a thread asking if Andre Ward is p4p number 1, got voted down.

Mods should look at the people voting me down, any blue namer can search my threads.  Not a single one of them has warranted any vote downs.

This is a mma forum, just came here and express yourself, but dont troll either.  Dont get bothered about vote downs, it's a joke.

11/20/12 2:54 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ftr I have nothing to do with it. The boss set it up.

11/20/12 2:56 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Subbed for vtfus
11/20/12 3:04 PM
ABE FROMAN

UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

Yea, and you're the only one who's responsive.

I emailed 2 mods - no answer

lol

11/20/12 3:05 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk

To be fair it's Holiday time. 

I'll follow up with Savage on your case, as it's obvious you got gangbanged down lol.

11/20/12 3:06 PM
6ULDV8

Just don't worry about it, as long as you're not getting frozen.  How much does it matter what a bunch of people you don't know IRL think of what you type?

That being said I almost never vote down, unless it's blatant retard trolling or attacking someone.

And Bobby's a Paisan.  Come at me bros.

11/20/12 3:11 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL

Edited: 11/20/12 3:13 PM
JerodR - 
UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

Because the sheer nature of trolling is people that hide behind a screen name. Although it would be a small thing the ability for people to see why someone was voted for and who did it would take just a little bit of that hiding away. Anytime you can add a bit of accountability for someones actions on the forum, you improve the forum over all.

I too had a thread addressing this quite a long time ago. I have run many other forums and tried the voting thing before. When it is kept in secret such as the current set up, it tends to lead to problems overall.

This!  I don't know why taking away the ability to post anonymously is dismissed as something that wouldn't make a difference.

"The Admins can see all of that."

The admins are a few people who will check specific incidences when it's brought to their attention, compared to how many members there are who would actively checking their own and other peoples, and noticing abuses right away.

And thanks for responding! First mod we've got to acknowledge anything haha

11/20/12 3:17 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany -

lol at "Olive Garden Table For One"

Lol

Who'd u lose the sn bet to Lups? Phone Post
11/20/12 3:18 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Olive Garden=best in the City. Phone Post
11/20/12 3:19 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk

Well, I'll ask if it is something that can be added to the Mods panel. So we can all see who is getting abused, or not.

11/20/12 3:21 PM
disbeliever
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - 
UGCTT_mrzipplokk - 

Yea, and you're the only one who's responsive.

I emailed 2 mods - no answer

lol

You didn't email me. Do I smell? :(
11/20/12 3:22 PM
ABE FROMAN

At the very least all mods should be able to see it, that way the responsive ones can drop a dime.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.