UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Matt Riddle: Marijuana makes me very nice

11/20/12 9:11 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Matt Riddle has, uniquely in the modern era, spent his entire professional career in the UFC. Back in July when he was offered a fight vs. Chris Clements with just one week notice, he took it.

Riddle finshined Clements with an Arm Triangle at 2:02 of Round 3, earning Submission of the Night honors, and a total of $100,000.

However, Riddle is a medical marijuana user in Nevada, and failed to disclose that fact to the officials regulating the event. When a bllod test indicated usage of a prohibited recreational drug, the decision was changed to a No Contest. Riddle was also suspended for 90 days, but the announcement was approximately 90 days after the fight and applied retroactively, so the practical effect was negligible.

In an interview with MMAMania following his win over John Maquire at UFC 154 on Saturday, Riddle riffed on reefer and regulation.

"If you ask me I'm 8-3. I'm not 7-3-1, I'm 8-3," sadi Riddle. "And if you watch the tape I don't think you'd argue with that. You know I dropped him with a liver kick, I hit him with a standing arm-triangle and you know, it was a very dominant performance.

"I think it's really unfortunate they took a hard-earned win from me that I took on a week's notice and I did everything in my power to pass that drug test, I've never failed a drug test in my life until that day and that was never my intention. So it does suck, but at the same time I'll never forget that win. It was a great experience, a great feeling and I made $100,000 in one night, so you tell me who's the winner if that's a no contest."

"The UFC had me take a test before I got here, last Friday and Monday and I passed both those tests. They were not taking a chance and they said if I failed that test they probably would have pulled me from the card.

"So I passed that test and that's what it is and you know, in the future I mean I know all these guys are taking testosterone and all that and they have medical releases, and I'm hoping maybe I can talk to a commission or talk to somebody and maybe get the rules changed."

"I won't test positive ever again I can assure you."

"I'm not asking to, you know, rip a tube before I get in the Octagon. It's like I quit, I quit pretty far out, like two weeks. But, I'm like a heavy user, you know, to be honest and it sticks around in my system because I'm skin and bone, you know, but it still sticks in my system. So, you know, that's what it is and until they change the rules or amend it, I'll abide by whatever they tell me to do."

"I've explained it to other people, I'm very high strung. You can ask anybody who hangs out with me, when I'm not on my medicine -- not that I'm hard to be around, but I'm very intense. You say something stupid I'll f------ let you know, I go off. You know, I'm very, it's almost like a New York minute, I'm very fast, I'm right to the point, I'm in your face. Like right now, ba-da-ba-ba, I'm talking very fast. I like to slow it down, I like to be normal, I like to be like a normal person and right now it's like I'm on edge."

"If I didn't just get out of the cage I'd want to beat the s--- out of somebody just for no reason. And that's just how I'm wired, and I don't like it. I like being the nice guy. So when I use, I'm a very nice guy and everybody around me loves me more. I'm just a much more pleasant person to be around."

"The unfortunate part is, you know, in this world, you know, people are okay if you take Xanax, testosterone and all these other drugs as long as a doctor prescribes them. But, if you're prescribed medical marijuana, you know, because of your issues, it's not acceptable and they really frown upon it.

"I hope, you know, two states already legalized it in America and I just hope they really turn it around."

Read entire article...

11/20/12 9:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DJmixmasterMobbie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seems like a cool dude
11/20/12 9:26 AM
THE CACTUS KID
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt "Mr. Niceguy" Riddle
11/20/12 9:31 AM
FLMikeATT

You would think the weed would actually clear his system faster than normal, considering thc is stored in fat cells and Riddle has a very low body fat %
11/20/12 9:42 AM
J_Swift

It's ridiculous how much cannabis is frowned upon in this country.

And yes, it should be out of his system quicker because of a lower than average BF%. Phone Post
11/20/12 9:45 AM
A bailie

Makes me nice too. Phone Post
11/20/12 9:53 AM
Ozzzz
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Matt Hiddle! :) legalize it. That standing arm triangle was sick, haha. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:10 AM
lozer81

MAKES ME REAL NICE! AND STONED!!!!!
11/20/12 10:19 AM
tears for lube

So he's basically an asshole who likes to get in people's faces unless he's high? Sounds like a nice guy to me Phone Post
11/20/12 10:23 AM
warrendale

You know this wasn't a bad read, you know. I can totally see his point, you know. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:27 AM
Hansumboy

Sounds like he has ADHD or something and weed helps him
11/20/12 10:28 AM
epwar
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/20/12 10:29 AM

Here's the most interesting bit of information Riddle let out. Hmmmmm, makes you wonder about all the guys who get pulled from cards for "injuries" so close to a card:

"The UFC had me take a test before I got here, last Friday and Monday and I passed both those tests. They were not taking a chance and they said if I failed that test they probably would have pulled me from the card."
11/20/12 10:45 AM
letsgobois

I don't see a problem whatsoever. I think it's a good thing a lot of these guys smoke weed because otherwise they would be super aggressive all the time. Phone Post
11/20/12 10:46 AM
Phil Cornelius

FLMikeATT - You would think the weed would actually clear his system faster than normal, considering thc is stored in fat cells and Riddle has a very low body fat %

THC stays in your system for at least a month that's how long it takes to be out your system from what i've been told. So for Matt to think 2 weeks is all that is needed is kinda uneducated for someone who is a "HEAVY USER"
11/20/12 10:59 AM
micstar81

I'm tired of hearing excuses from pot heads about how it's everyone's fault except themselves. About how it should be legal and how they can't control them self without it. They need to get themselves under control. If they'll snap at the slightest provocation then there is a real issue there. If they need to be a "heavy user" to be normal then they have a problem. Bottom line is he's a drug addict who can't handle life with out being stoned all the time.
11/20/12 11:08 AM
Yun
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^micstar81, u are so dumb. are u sure u live in 2012 not 1930???? Phone Post
11/20/12 11:08 AM
rockyrocks90
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People need to stop self medicating. Weed will not solve you're cognitive issues. If youre anxious all the time and you smoke weed to stop being anxious. Your underlying anxiety will not go away, in fact it will probably get worse. Because the one time you forgot to rip one before hopping on a plane full of crowded smelly rude and otherwise unpleasant people. You're going to lose it. You're basically using weed as an antidepressant. See a fucking therapist.
11/20/12 11:10 AM
UGCTT_Blake
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

micstar81 - I'm tired of hearing excuses from pot heads about how it's everyone's fault except themselves. About how it should be legal and how they can't control them self without it. They need to get themselves under control. If they'll snap at the slightest provocation then there is a real issue there. If they need to be a "heavy user" to be normal then they have a problem. Bottom line is he's a drug addict who can't handle life with out being stoned all the time.
Smoking a joint would probably help you not be cunt. Just saying. Phone Post
11/20/12 11:12 AM
Gfropr

ntreb23 -
Heel Hooker - I'm fine with him smokng MJ but stop the "I'd be a violent destroyer" crap . If you're taht high strung and dangerous you'd need more than weed.

Wrong.
I Phone Post
11/20/12 11:18 AM
micstar81

UGCTT_Blake - 
micstar81 - I'm tired of hearing excuses from pot heads about how it's everyone's fault except themselves. About how it should be legal and how they can't control them self without it. They need to get themselves under control. If they'll snap at the slightest provocation then there is a real issue there. If they need to be a "heavy user" to be normal then they have a problem. Bottom line is he's a drug addict who can't handle life with out being stoned all the time.

Not smoking at every chance you get would probably help you do something productive with your life. Just saying.
11/20/12 11:19 AM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know? Phone Post
11/20/12 11:47 AM
chaplinshouse
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/20/12 11:48 AM
micstar81 - 
UGCTT_Blake - 

Not smoking at every chance you get would probably help you do something productive with your life. Just saying.

acting like you know a random stranger's personal habits and productivity levels based on one sentence typed proves his point on how you're a cunt.  Just sayin

11/20/12 11:58 AM
Harmon Whistler
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - 

Here's the most interesting bit of information Riddle let out. Hmmmmm, makes you wonder about all the guys who get pulled from cards for "injuries" so close to a card:

"The UFC had me take a test before I got here, last Friday and Monday and I passed both those tests. They were not taking a chance and they said if I failed that test they probably would have pulled me from the card."

Best post on the thread, voted up.

11/20/12 12:02 PM
chaplinshouse
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^agreed.  makes ya wonder more about carwin

11/20/12 12:07 PM
UGCTT_Blake
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

micstar81 -
UGCTT_Blake - 

I smoke.. A lot. A whole lot. I'm
Very productive. I would dander to say that I am more productive with the pot. And I'm not a cunt. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.