UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> So I want to get better at Pulls/Chins... Help Me!

11/20/12 10:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know that the first thing to do is to actually practice them more, I know that. But is there any exercises that you would recommend to me that would help with getting better at pulls/chins?

All info appreciated ;-)
11/20/12 11:38 AM
DMC
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you do 1?

I started just being able to do 1 proper pull-up. Within a year I was doing sets of 5 with some weight.

Currently I do sets of 5 with 12.5kg which is puny compared to others on here but it's good progress over 2 years of less than consistent training.

At the start I just did 1 and rested. I took as long as I needed to recover so I could do another. It's boring and seems stupid doing 'sets of 1' but soon you'll be able to do 2 and go from there.

If you can't do 1 then I can't help but others will know exercises that will hopefully help you grow strong enough to do 1.
11/20/12 2:04 PM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^good info (and well done :)

Yeah just do them a lot and always chase bigger numbers. Same as strength training any other movement. Phone Post
11/20/12 6:43 PM
dizz
561 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh and jeremy hamilton gave me good advice in terms of getting better at pullups

How many can you do? Can you do 5 at a time? If so, I'd recommend doing a 5x5 (5 sets, 5 reps per set) 2-3x a week. Then add weight so you start doing weighted pulls.

I started a similar routine about 6-8 weeks ago. I do 5x5 twice a week, and I started with only 5 pounds weight added. I'm up to 32.5 pounds added. It's not as beast as some guys on here, but I'm happy with my progress.

11/20/12 8:13 PM
JennyCraig

If you can't do any pullups/chins...do this program:http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

It is awesome and simple.

If you can do a couple pullups, but want to increase your reps, invest in a set of pullup assist bands: http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=PULL+UP+ASSIST+BANDS
11/20/12 10:21 PM
Eggmachine
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After my last rep I like to stop half way down and hold that position for as long as I can. It's not fun but it really helps.
11/21/12 4:14 AM
LordSeano
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got mine up by starting off as DMC said. I would do 5 sets of 1 taking as much rest as possible and then going for 5 sets of 2 and once I could do that then 5 sets of 3 etc
11/29/12 9:55 AM
Dan_91

Recon Ron pullup program is good (you need 6 reps at least however)

http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

When you get to 10 reps or so, you can start adding weight :)
11/29/12 4:11 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The formula I use most often (and seems to work well). Is to find out your current RM. And then do three sets of 50% of your RM. 3-5 times per week.

My most successful client uising this formula is a woman in her mid 40's who over several years has worked her way up to doing sets of 15 reps, 3-5 X per day. 

She can bang out 25 dead hang pull-ups any time she wants.

TAKU

11/29/12 9:03 PM
turducken

taku, is there any way you can post video of this woman doing sets of 15 reps? i cant remember the exact numbers you posted, but they were insane, like 10 or 15 sets of 15 reps. would be amazing to see...dont think there is anything like that on youtube.

anyways, how do you get someone to that level? i have maxed out at 28 clean reps with bodyweight, and i can easily pull 85lbs for 10x2 super strict reps. these numbers are clean palms facing away, zero kip, chest to bar reps, but there is absolutely no way i can do multiple sets of 15. without an inordinate amount of rest time between sets, i would guess i could do 2 sets, MAYBE 3. but after that id be fried. i can pump out 6 reps basically to infinity with 60 seconds rest between sets(ive done this and stopped at 30 sets...lats extremely sore the next day, lol), but how do you develop lasting endurance at such high reps?

on a side note, if you want to give yourself a boost when trying to max out...strap on a weight belt and do 1 rep with a fairly heavy weight added. then drop the belt, rest a bit, and you will feel all powerful when you go for it with just bodyweight...probably helps you squeeze another 2 reps or so past where you would otherwise end up.
11/30/12 12:13 AM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Turducken,

Those are awesome number brother!

The woman I mention does not do her sets consecutively. So, she may rest 5 minutes, or an hour or two. She has a chin-up bar in her house, and she just does the sets throughout the day. Some days she may do three sets, another day she may do 6-8-or 10 sets. She most often does sets of 15 at a time but says 20 is no problem and 25 doable.

It's a very free-style approach. She varies the grips etc at times. I would love to get her on video, i'll see what I can do.

TAKU

11/30/12 1:17 AM
turducken

got it. still, multiple sets of 15 or 20 spaced out throughout the day is extremely impressive.

and thank you. i am built for pullups since i only weigh 155 and have a naturally lanky small frame(if i didnt work out, i would probably weigh 135). i became sort of a pullup fiend and have been doing them like a madman for probably 7 years. i actually used to be stronger in terms of max strength, but i developed really bad tendinosis/tendinitis and accompanying ulnar nerve damage that put me out of commission for almost 18 months.

i pretty much lost all the muscle in my hands(which are still bonier than they used to be), woke up multiple times every night with numbness in my fingers, and couldn't even hold my car steering wheel without pain, let alone hang on a pullup bar or even attempt to do a pullup. so i had to restart from ground zero and eventually worked back up to some respectable numbers. now i only do palms facing out or neutral grip pullups, and not palms facing in chinups. chinups irritate the hell out of the area of my elbow around the medial epicondyle and i sure as hell don't want to go back down that road again.

to bring this thread back on topic...what worked for me best in the beginning was a grease the groove method where you try to get a high volume of reps in throughout the day, while making sure to keep each individual set far below failure. once you can crank out 8 or so reps, there are plenty of programs that can help you push up to 15 or so. i didnt add weight until i could do 20 reps with bodyweight, and i really do not find much correlation between the two beyond a certain point. when i was at my absolute strongest in terms of added weight(115 for 8 sets of 3 chinups), i could only do 19-21 bodyweight pullups.
12/6/12 10:34 PM
ruggerbouy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/12 10:35 PM
humble is the key to working out I find, doing one pull-out 20 times a day will yield results, but doing the full range of motion 20 times with less weight 2-3 times a day will yield them faster I find.<br /><br />what I mean by humble is dont try and heave your body lower the bar ( not standards the actual bar lol) and ENSURE your using proper form and the full range of motion and do the pull-ups / chin-ups at a 45 degree angle or lower and as you notice the sets have become easier increase the angle and by doing this I went from 2 sets of 10 and a 3rd set of 10+ (until failure) lying flat on my back to completely upright 2 feet off the ground in 8 months, and I started the same could do maybe 2 chin-ups if i was lucky and NO pull-ups.<br /><br />hope this helps
1/17/13 12:02 PM
Derrick Noble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just ran into this post. I would also like to see the video of the mid 40's woman banging out 25 dead hang pull-ups. That would be impressive.
1/17/13 12:02 PM
Derrick Noble
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/17/13 12:06 PM
25 dead hang pull-ups is a difficult task for most above average strength men.
1/17/13 1:20 PM
disbeliever
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
+ 1 for doing negatives. They really helped me increase my pull up numbers

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.