UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Funny things I see at the gym

11/28/12 12:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sside maurice
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/28/12 12:42 AM
I've seen a full-body cable row guy. Motherfucker did like 20 sets of that shit in a crowded gym.
11/28/12 7:47 AM
Leigh
741 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't seen anything that really makes me LOL or anything. What I do see a lot of is people doing the wrong stuff for their obvious goals. Skinny kids doing side raises and supinated curls, fat people plodding on the treadmill at 3mph. Of course, they never change their body composition and disappear from the gym before they make any gains
11/28/12 12:47 PM
Sequoyah Sandford
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Today i seen an elderly man probably in his 60s training a lady that was in her late 40s or so. He was a personal trainer at the Y. He had her doing hyper extensions for the lower back and everytime she got done with a set he would grab her and help her stand he was just shy of grabing her ass. Also we had a guy doing bent over rows slaming the weights against the ground with each set. Mind you his form was horrible. Phone Post
11/28/12 12:48 PM
Sequoyah Sandford
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That old man was creepy as hell too. Phone Post
11/28/12 2:17 PM
disbeliever
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Other than the obvious LOL at women coming in in full make up and prancing on the tread mill @ 2mph looking for attention...

I ran into the mythical screaming roid rager for the first time ever a few months ago. Dude was 6' I would say 230 of solid muscle, veins popping out etc He loads up the lat pull, which is like 300lbs, and while wearing his tight ass wife beater tank top screams "LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!" on every rep, then proceeds to slam down the weights in dramatic fashion.

He did 2 other movements and then disappeared into the bathroom with his gym bag for 25 minutes, I am assuming shooting steroids
11/28/12 5:13 PM
dizz
552 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw a massive roided up juicehead (6'5, probably 260 pounds of geared out muscle) try to fight some small Asian kid who was about 5'8, 150.  The kid looked like he had never lifted before.  Dude was mad that the Asian kid stepped on his towel or something and asked the kid if he wanted to step outside. The kid declined, and the guy proceeded to talk to his friend the rest of the time about how much of a pussy the Asian kid was.  

11/28/12 10:12 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last month there was a guy in a full on luchador mask working out. I kept trying to get a good angle to get a pic but I was scared of getting a hurricanrana. That is one of my life's biggest regrets, he hasn't been back since.
11/29/12 6:46 PM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I worked out at 24 Hour Fitness several years ago. I remember a group of 4-5 cholos typically showed up right around the time I got to the gym after work. One night, one of the cholos randomly hit up this poor kid to spot him on the bench. The kid was probably in his 20's & around a buck-fifty soaking wet.

The cholo told the kid not to lift the bar, just spot him on some reps. What did the kid do? He assist-lifted the bar while the cholo pushed it up to start his routine. The cholo lowered the bar, got off the bench, grabbed the kid around the throat and slammed him against the wall. People momentarily stopped lifting, looked at the cholo & the kid, then went back to lifting.

The kid was going to get his ass beat 7 shades of shit, and clearly no one cared. I actually spotted the cholo on some other lifts before, so I went over & told him I'd give him a spot. He let the kid go & told him to get his hearing checked, when someone tells you don't lift the bar, you don't lift the fucking bar.
11/30/12 4:11 AM
Leigh
741 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I obviously don't agree with getting violent over it but its really annoying when someone over spots and ruins your set Phone Post
12/2/12 10:17 AM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

warmasheen - 
Takedown - I worked out at 24 Hour Fitness several years ago. I remember a group of 4-5 cholos typically showed up right around the time I got to the gym after work. One night, one of the cholos randomly hit up this poor kid to spot him on the bench. The kid was probably in his 20's & around a buck-fifty soaking wet.

The cholo told the kid not to lift the bar, just spot him on some reps. What did the kid do? He assist-lifted the bar while the cholo pushed it up to start his routine. The cholo lowered the bar, got off the bench, grabbed the kid around the throat and slammed him against the wall. People momentarily stopped lifting, looked at the cholo & the kid, then went back to lifting.

The kid was going to get his ass beat 7 shades of shit, and clearly no one cared. I actually spotted the cholo on some other lifts before, so I went over & told him I'd give him a spot. He let the kid go & told him to get his hearing checked, when someone tells you don't lift the bar, you don't lift the fucking bar.
What exactly is a "cholo"? Phone Post

Beat me to it.
12/2/12 4:52 PM
Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sequoyah Sandford -  Today i seen an elderly man probably in his 60s training a lady that was in her late 40s or so. He was a personal trainer at the Y. He had her doing hyper extensions for the lower back and everytime she got done with a set he would grab her and help her stand he was just shy of grabing her ass. Also we had a guy doing bent over rows slaming the weights against the ground with each set. Mind you his form was horrible. Phone Post

I use to workout at the Jackson YMCA when I would come home for the summer from CMU.
12/2/12 5:14 PM
ravenman2000
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

warmasheen - 
Takedown - I worked out at 24 Hour Fitness several years ago. I remember a group of 4-5 cholos typically showed up right around the time I got to the gym after work. One night, one of the cholos randomly hit up this poor kid to spot him on the bench. The kid was probably in his 20's & around a buck-fifty soaking wet.

A Mexican tough guy with a shaved head and dressed like a gangster.

12/2/12 7:05 PM
Petey B
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not even sure I can explain this correctly but it was hilarious to see...

I worked at a gym for a few years so I've seen a lot. We had this guy who used to come in with his buddy. He was a total dick all the time, made tons of money as a car dealership GM (his buddy was the finance manager), and was friends with the gym owner. He was a big, strong dude and his buddy was even bigger and stronger.

One day I walk out on the gym floor and I see these 2 clowns standing in front of the mirror and db rack facing each other. They are holding dbs doing alternating bicep curls, but they are staring each other dead in the eyes and are using their whole bodies. So as one guy curls left, the other curls right, each staring the other in the eyes and swinging forward like they are going to kiss, then swinging back, and then forward over and over. The did this on multiple occasions. It was very weird but hilarious.

Shortly after, the GM got fired and went to a new dealership where he got arrested for selling used cars as new. No idea what happened after that, but couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. :-)
12/2/12 7:07 PM
Chocolate Shatner
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - Other than the obvious LOL at women coming in in full make up and prancing on the tread mill @ 2mph looking for attention...

I ran into the mythical screaming roid rager for the first time ever a few months ago. Dude was 6' I would say 230 of solid muscle, veins popping out etc He loads up the lat pull, which is like 300lbs, and while wearing his tight ass wife beater tank top screams "LIGHT WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!" on every rep, then proceeds to slam down the weights in dramatic fashion.

He did 2 other movements and then disappeared into the bathroom with his gym bag for 25 minutes, I am assuming shooting steroids

YAH BUDDAY!

12/3/12 7:57 AM
Sequoyah Sandford

Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla -
Sequoyah Sandford -  Today i seen an elderly man probably in his 60s training a lady that was in her late 40s or so. He was a personal trainer at the Y. He had her doing hyper extensions for the lower back and everytime she got done with a set he would grab her and help her stand he was just shy of grabing her ass. Also we had a guy doing bent over rows slaming the weights against the ground with each set. Mind you his form was horrible. Phone Post

I use to workout at the Jackson YMCA when I would come home for the summer from CMU.
There are some characters in that place. Phone Post
12/3/12 1:31 PM
andyman011
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Petey B - Not even sure I can explain this correctly but it was hilarious to see...

I worked at a gym for a few years so I've seen a lot. We had this guy who used to come in with his buddy. He was a total dick all the time, made tons of money as a car dealership GM (his buddy was the finance manager), and was friends with the gym owner. He was a big, strong dude and his buddy was even bigger and stronger.

One day I walk out on the gym floor and I see these 2 clowns standing in front of the mirror and db rack facing each other. They are holding dbs doing alternating bicep curls, but they are staring each other dead in the eyes and are using their whole bodies. So as one guy curls left, the other curls right, each staring the other in the eyes and swinging forward like they are going to kiss, then swinging back, and then forward over and over. The did this on multiple occasions. It was very weird but hilarious.

Shortly after, the GM got fired and went to a new dealership where he got arrested for selling used cars as new. No idea what happened after that, but couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. :-)
I read that staring someone down during or inbetween sets keep your adrenaline and energy up. No guy feels like sitting down after a set when someone is death staring you in your face Phone Post
12/3/12 1:45 PM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ravenman2000 - 
warmasheen - 

A Mexican tough guy with a shaved head and dressed like a gangster.

This.
12/4/12 2:52 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Takedown - I worked out at 24 Hour Fitness several years ago. I remember a group of 4-5 cholos typically showed up right around the time I got to the gym after work. One night, one of the cholos randomly hit up this poor kid to spot him on the bench. The kid was probably in his 20's & around a buck-fifty soaking wet.

People asking strangers for spots or assistance is a bit of pet peeve of mine. If you're very particular about how people spot you or need someone to assist with every set of some elaborate ab exercise from Men's Fitness then make an arrangement with a gym partner.

It's just manners imo. You are basically showing up to the gym with a plan of imposing yourself on other people just trying get their workout in. Especially if you then go and get pissy at people who don't know how to spot or don't want to spend 10 minutes passing you a medicine ball while you dry hump a swiss ball because some airbrushed TV actor in magazine said so.
12/4/12 3:21 PM
5pointer

Invisible Lats Syndrome - 
Takedown - I worked out at 24 Hour Fitness several years ago. I remember a group of 4-5 cholos typically showed up right around the time I got to the gym after work. One night, one of the cholos randomly hit up this poor kid to spot him on the bench. The kid was probably in his 20's & around a buck-fifty soaking wet.

People asking strangers for spots or assistance is a bit of pet peeve of mine. If you're very particular about how people spot you or need someone to assist with every set of some elaborate ab exercise from Men's Fitness then make an arrangement with a gym partner.

It's just manners imo. You are basically showing up to the gym with a plan of imposing yourself on other people just trying get their workout in. Especially if you then go and get pissy at people who don't know how to spot or don't want to spend 10 minutes passing you a medicine ball while you dry hump a swiss ball because some airbrushed TV actor in magazine said so.

This!

I cant stand when I am asked to spot. I dont ask you so dont ask me/especially when I got my headphones on minding my own.
12/4/12 3:53 PM
andyman011

Just the other day an old lady asks to work in on a machine that has me and my friend taking turns. We finish one set each and a lady comes running over and says oh I'm in a rush to get home I was using that machine and then just starts using it not giving a fuck.

We say okay, well go do another machine until she's done. We finish 4 sets each and look at her machine and she's nowhere to be found. We say ok and start doing sets. Were 1 set away from finishing and she runs over and kicks my waterbottle and when I go to get it she hops on the machine. At this point I'm like wtf. She gets off after her set and I jump on. I finish and she never touches it again. I go to find a weight with handles on it and I'm looking around the gym and stepped on the pad she's doing yoga on. In between the smith machine, barbell racks and squat rack, where all the weights are. And I hear her talking but I ignored it and grabbed my weight. I turn around walk back over her mat and she comes up to me and says you can't step on my mat. And starts laughing. Luckily after that I was done my workout. Phone Post
12/4/12 4:10 PM
disbeliever
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I've never had a problem with someone asking me to do a quick spot, or vice versa...
12/4/12 6:56 PM
molsonman
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5pointer - 

This!

I cant stand when I am asked to spot. I dont ask you so dont ask me/especially when I got my headphones on minding my own.

I'm more than willing to spot someone if they ask. Just proper gym manners. It is rather douchy to turn someone down.
12/4/12 7:19 PM
molsonman
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 7:22 PM
Maybe my perspective is different. I'm from the Maritimes and my old gym was full of guys who lifted heavy (rack pulls, deadlifts, safety squats, box squats, chains, bands, etc). You asked for a spot in that gym and people would not hesitate to help.
12/4/12 7:53 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Maybe it's a generational thing or just a part of Obama's America, but I'm not going to impose myself onto other people if I can avoid it.
12/4/12 8:55 PM
molsonman

Edited: 12/04/12 8:56 PM
Maybe it's a generational thing or just a part of Obama's America, but I'm not going to impose myself onto other people if I can avoid it.

Asking for a spot is someone imposing their will on you? Wow.

I'm not American, I just come from a place where people are happy to help others. I guess you were not brought up that way.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.