UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Where does Mauro go now?

11/20/12 8:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - 
Kings21 - 
Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III - 
Kings21 -
SpiritualElixir - 

Mauro is fucking awesome, fuck the haters.  It's the same assholes who bitch about Goldie.  Both do a good job.  Play by play is a tough gig, I would love for the armchair qb's to be doing it live.  They would fuck up royally.

Personally I would love for Mauro to take Anik's spot.  And for Anik to take Ariel's spot.  And for Ariel to bring coffee to Anik lol.

Maruo has the charisma Anik dont, Mauro and Kenny would be a great team on those free cards.

Who is with me?

Just because Play by Plan is a tough gig doesn't mean we can't hope for someone thats good at it. Yea Goldie does a good job with telling us about whatever dumb sponsor is being forced into our ears while two fighters are slugging it out (often right as one gets rocked. Multiple times fights have been stopped as Goldie has been doing his sponsor crap. I dont mind the sponsor crap its just always bad timing) or telling us about future UFC events. He also is good at filling dead air but really some dead air during a fight is nice once in a while.

For a guy thats been doing his job for as long as he has, he has a serious lack for the technical aspect of the sport and hes been spouting the same key phrases for many years. Did you know that when a guy lands a leg kick and you just hear a thud rather than a slap then its a good, solid kick but when its a loud slap it wasnt a good kick? And thats not just once per event. He'll say that shit every fight if someone throws a leg kick.

The guy is a broken record. Hes god a good voice for the booth but he appears to not have learned anything over the years.

His job can't be that hard when you have many professional play by play guys in other sports that do a great job AND know their shit. Hell just using hockey as an example, the play by play guy not only knows a ton about the sport but he has to memorize every players name AND jersey number...including opposing team players, some that only visit once or twice a year. They also are able to tell us about sponsors, upcoming events, etc.

Saying the job is hard doesn't mean Goldie (and Mauro..who i dont think is all that bad, he just sounds awful) should get a free pass to suck.

Just cause I'm an armchair qb doesn't mean that I cant tell that one person is not on par with his professional peers.
If there were tons of people better than these guys then I would agree that they suck, but since there aren't I will have to say they are some of the best in the biz. You can name one or two people you prefer but that is all because there is no one else that can do it as well. Phone Post

My point is that sports teams in various sports are able to find pbp commentators that dont sound like they just picked up the sport last wednesday. Just in MMA off the top of my head you have Michael Schiavello, Pat Militech, Mauro (who like ive said can be annoying but he at least knows his stuff), and I'm blanking on the name but the dude that does Bellator..both of them actually. Then theres people that are unknown doing whatever jobs they can get. I can't accept the idea that Goldie is the best there could be and that theres no one else that could do his job just as well AND learn a few things about the sport along the way.

Theres always someone else. If you think that Goldie is as good as it can get then I feel sorry for you that you standards are so low.

Zuffa is loyal to a fault regarding people that have been their since they started.

Mauro is too loud and animated, Voice is corny with his one liners, Isnt Pat color like Rogan not PBP. Sean Wheelock I think his name is from Bellator is solid.

I dont mind Anik/Florian, I think Anik needs time and he can get better.

Personally I think Anik would be best at the desk. I'd use him as the main desk guy for Fox shows, or running the pre/post fight desk with some fighters like Florian, Stann, Sonnen, Rashad, Randy etc.

He is good on Ultimate Insider. He was excellent on MMA Live, they should use him in that role, he should be hosting UFC Tonight show on Fuel. I think thats where he is best but they will continue to give him and Florian a shot and see how it goes.

I agree about Anik. Hes much better at the desk. I'd like mauro more if like you said wasnt so loud and animated. Hes a bit cartoonish. Voice, while I like him, those one liners lose their appeal after the first 100 times you've heard them. I'd think he'd be awesome without them if he just stuck with his PbP. He knows his stuff and is not opposed to learning the ground game.

Anyways, the point of my post was just that I dont think Goldie is the level people should want/settle for. Hes good at what he does but he doesnt do a whole lot more than fill dead air, read off sponsers and say things like Travis Luter is the Michael Jordan of MMA. Yea that was a while ago but he say plenty of similar nonsense. I think we should just expect more out of a play by play guy. Like actually announcing the play by play instead of "oooh slip n rip!"
11/20/12 9:27 PM
gabemadrid
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

irishman84 - UFC should make room for him somewhere. legend. period
This Phone Post
11/20/12 9:29 PM
gabemadrid
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mauro sounds like he truly enjoys what he's watching and even tho he may be corny he's 100x better than Goldie and 1000x better than anik/florian who's voices are too similar and don't bring that enthusiasm and excitement to the table. Phone Post
11/20/12 9:45 PM
Il Duce
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uncle Muay Thai -
SpiritualElixir -

Mauro is fucking awesome, fuck the haters.  It's the same assholes who bitch about Goldie.  Both do a good job.  Play by play is a tough gig, I would love for the armchair qb's to be doing it live.  They would fuck up royally.

Personally I would love for Mauro to take Anik's spot.  And for Anik to take Ariel's spot.  And for Ariel to bring coffee to Anik lol.

Maruo has the charisma Anik dont, Mauro and Kenny would be a great team on those free cards.

Who is with me?

This. He is what the fox network shows are missing. He would add passion as rogan does at the ppv events. Give anik post fight interviews, his commentary is awful. Phone Post
I like this idea. Mauro is good peeps. Phone Post
11/20/12 9:51 PM
Kveletak
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mauro could take Florians job. Anyone can do that job better than that mook. Phone Post
11/20/12 9:53 PM
El Zee
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I could be wrong (no source, bad memory), but I think I remember reading somewhere that Dana is not a fan of Mauro.

...and wasn't there a video of Rogan making fun of him and his announcing?

Don't think he gets into the club.

For the record, I have no problem with Mauro. Him and Pat (and sometimes Frank) make a good team. Mauro and Bas were great, though not as good as Quadros and Bas.
11/20/12 11:03 PM
Bluegrass
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put Anik at the desk, in place of Glazer, where he belongs. Show Florian the door and bring over Mauro and Militich. Phone Post
11/20/12 11:06 PM
32Hunter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I would love for Mauro to take Anik's spot. And for Anik to take Ariel's spot. And for Ariel to bring coffee to Anik lol.

lol, awesome.
11/20/12 11:09 PM
NEWSFLASH
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uncle Muay Thai - 
SpiritualElixir -

Who is with me?

This. He is what the fox network shows are missing. He would add passion as rogan does at the ppv events. Give anik post fight interviews, his commentary is awful. Phone Post

Agree 100%. Anik and Kenny sound too much alike, it's pretty bland. Would be awesome for Mauro.
11/20/12 11:12 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide - 
MarcusRenatoBrownBelt - i definitely see UFC replacing either Joe or Goldie with Mauro's talents after his Strikeforce contract is "officially up"
No. Fake voice Mauro is cringe worthy. Phone Post

That's his actual speaking voice... there is an interview he did in his hotel room right before an event, while getting dressed etc, and he speaks like that throughout.

I like Mauro, and I'd like for him to do UFC commentary, but I doubt it will happen, I think there is bad blood between him and Zuffa :D
11/21/12 8:21 AM
Dazednconfused
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SpiritualElixir -

Who is with me?

I agree I'd love to see them bring him in for the Fx and fuel cards. Phone Post
11/21/12 8:22 AM
snerdog
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not generally in the twitterverse, so there may be updates, but Mauro and Ariel were twatting back and forth. Mauro is apparently ill and everyone was wishing him a speedy recovery.

That was why he hadn't had a new podcast in a month (nobody said what was wrong-I know that he has spoken out about his mental illness several times but I don't know if has anything to do with that).

I love his podcast and like him as an announcer. He is sometimes too excitable, but passionate. When I heard he and Paulie Malignaggi were hosting a boxing event I wanted to poke out my eardrums with pencils, but they were actually really good! So I think he will definately stay with Showtime Boxing. Hopefully some new podcasts too!
11/21/12 10:15 AM
yellow's_Willin
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The funniest thing about this thread is the guy who thinks hockey commentators memorize the name of every guy in the league based on their jersey number. Bahaha! They have a piece of paper in front of them listing the team members you nitwit! TV magic!!! Phone Post
11/21/12 1:42 PM
Cann
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/12 1:43 PM
I swear I heard his voice listening to some overseas kickboxing promotion recently, maybe it was Glory or some other one. I think he has a few side gigs. Would be cool to see him in WSOF, for sure with Bas like old times.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.