UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Your thoughts on teachers rolling with students.

11/20/12 3:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mmaguy30
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/20/12 3:11 PM

I'd like to hear the UG's opinions on masters (black belts) rolling with students..

Do you believe that a black belt in BJJ should roll with his students? All of them? both high level and white belts alike?

Does your BB roll with you? How often?

In a school were there is only a purple belt, a few blue belts, and lots of white belts, should a BB teacher do his best to work with those "higher" belts so they have someone to push them?

What would you think of a Brazilian Jiu jitsu black belt who never once rolled with a purple belt he promoted in 15 months? Not 1 single time since promoting him, and then gave him a stripe as well? Should reasons like "I have a sore finger" or " I am really tired because the baby didn't sleep last night" be sufficient? (note: the purple is bigger than the BBby 40 lbs, however is NOT a spaz, can roll at ANY pace or tempo, plays more bottom than top, and has no problem getting ANYONE else to roll with him)

lastly, is it acceptable in your gym for lower ranked belts to ask the black belts to roll?

I'm not looking to embarrass anyone, or mention names or anything like that... I just want to see and hear honest responses to my questions. It will help me judge my own position and thoughts better.

11/20/12 3:24 PM
allchokedup
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you believe that a black belt in BJJ should roll with his students? All of them? both high level and white belts alike?

I think he should definatly roll with the upper belts.
I have rolled with my coach 3 times in 3 years. I am only a purple so i have plenty of people to push me, but i think it is really important for him to push the other BBs.

Being tired or having a hurt finger is no excuse. Protecting yourself and limiting who you roll with is important the older you get. Sure a BB could roll with a white and just shut them down but what would either gain from it? This is in reference to an older guy. Younger BB should be rolling with everyone IMO.
11/20/12 3:25 PM
allchokedup
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in my gym it is okay to ask a BB to roll as it is a friendly atmosphere.
11/20/12 3:51 PM
poober

I've experienced both scenarios. The first BB I trained with rolled with me one time over about a 5 year period. I didn't think it was a big deal at the time since I was a blue and had purples and browns to train with. When I started at a new school the BB rolls with me all the time and crushes me worse than I ever experienced before. All of my bad habits that I didn't know existed were taken full advantage of. So IMHO it's very important to roll with the instructor especially if he's the only BB.

My new school I'm one of 4 or so purples with a ton of blues and whites. I don't think I'd improve much at all if the instructor didn't train with me and keep me from using sloppy technique and building bad habits from them.

11/20/12 3:52 PM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think teachers should roll with the students who need them.

I know a couple of instructors who kinda hide from some guys (not guys like me) to save face, but some guys just don't like rolling much. :/

I dunno. Stop beating around the bush and tell us what's really bugging you in your life. :D Phone Post
11/20/12 4:00 PM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think instructors should roll with their students.

my instructor rolled with us every day unless there was some injury or serious reason not to.

then again he enjoys rolling and doing jiu jitsu so i dont know how it is for people with instructors who just dont like to roll.
11/20/12 4:04 PM
Akston
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My instructor smashes me regularly and it is why I respect him so much Phone Post
11/20/12 4:11 PM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They don't have to roll everyday, but they should roll sometimes at least. There should be a balance between coaching/watching and rolling.
11/20/12 4:31 PM
Digitsu
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/20/12 4:47 PM
I'm a BB instructor @ Serra BJJ and I roll with everyone in my academy. I help my students get better and it allows me to assess how the student is doing. Additionally, my thinking is, if he/she can handle themselves against me, another white, blue, purple, should not be a problem.

There is a young and strong purple belt in my academy that gives me a hard time and on occasions he will beat me, when I fall asleep behind the wheel. I don't care if he beats me because it helps him and it helps me too. I like training with him because he is humble and is still willing to learn BJJ from me in order to expand his knowledge. I've always believed a mundial medalist purple belt can beat a BB if the BB is not careful.

For those BB who won't roll with their student, I think it comes down to an security thing. At one time they were probably amazing, now they are little older and they have not found peace in older age. When I say peace I mean, peace with themselves and accepting that the machine is slowing down.

For the most part, in my school it is not acceptable for a lower belt to ask another BB to train, but for me, I don't care if anyone asks. It does not hurt to ask... only answers are painful.

11/20/12 4:31 PM
Rival School
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Our instructor doesn't because he's an older dude but he has 10 or so brown belts that will fuck you up all the same Phone Post
11/20/12 4:32 PM
mmaguy30
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vtfu Digitsu, thanks.
11/20/12 4:40 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allchokedup - Do you believe that a black belt in BJJ should roll with his students? All of them? both high level and white belts alike?

I think he should definatly roll with the upper belts.
I have rolled with my coach 3 times in 3 years. I am only a purple so i have plenty of people to push me, but i think it is really important for him to push the other BBs.

Being tired or having a hurt finger is no excuse. Protecting yourself and limiting who you roll with is important the older you get. Sure a BB could roll with a white and just shut them down but what would either gain from it? This is in reference to an older guy. Younger BB should be rolling with everyone IMO.

agreed. Now if you are analyzing and coaching on the side that is fine. But you need to be rolling w students too to keep yourself sharp as well. Now if you are broken down and/or old, exceptions of course have to be made (such as rolling w upper belts only).
11/20/12 5:00 PM
Herbish1
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have 2 black belt instructor, the main instructor doesn't roll that often, usually always rolls with his privates though. The other is black belt under our main instructor and a young MMA fighter and he always rolls with us after his classes. However since our school merged our 2 locations into one, we have both on the mat at the same time a couple times a week, I've been busy at work so I have yet to be there for one of those classes, but I hear they both are rolling regularly.

Laid back atmosphere anyone can ask anyone to roll.
11/20/12 5:07 PM
J. Manly
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I roll with everyone who comes thru the door and with my students as it benefits them. However it benefits them much more when I'm able to watch, observe and give feedback where it is due. Phone Post
11/20/12 5:20 PM
JRockwell
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Digitsu -
I'm a BB instructor @ Serra BJJ and I roll with everyone in my academy. I help my students get better and it allows me to assess how the student is doing. Additionally, my thinking is, if he/she can handle themselves against me, another white, blue, purple, should not be a problem.

There is a young and strong purple belt in my academy that gives me a hard time and on occasions he will beat me, when I fall asleep behind the wheel. I don't care if he beats me because it helps him and it helps me too. I like training with him because he is humble and is still willing to learn BJJ from me in order to expand his knowledge. I've always believed a mundial medalist purple belt can beat a BB if the BB is not careful.

For those BB who won't roll with their student, I think it comes down to an security thing. At one time they were probably amazing, now they are little older and they have not found peace in older age. When I say peace I mean, peace with themselves and accepting that the machine is slowing down.

For the most part, in my school it is not acceptable for a lower belt to ask another BB to train, but for me, I don't care if anyone asks. It does not hurt to ask... only answers are painful.

Will vote you up when I get on a real computer. Well said. Phone Post
11/20/12 5:28 PM
LEMon
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I roll with my students as much as I can. I use to roll every single session, but at 65 kg and also with my own training ( an instructor has an obligation to keep learning, rolling and getting his ass whipped) sometimes I have to say no if I'm too tired that day to avoid injury.

I've been coaching now for 8 years and the main thing I learnt from my own teachers is that is Okay to say no to preserve your body especially as you get older . Phone Post
11/20/12 5:38 PM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mentioned they should roll earlier, but then again, I've seen a few instances where the head black belt doesn't roll much anymore and decides to roll one day and smashes everyone else from white to black. Crazy.
11/20/12 5:44 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am BB and an instructor (but not the head instructor, I only teach a couple of classes a week) and I roll with everyone of all sizes, levels, and temperaments. Sometimes I even get tapped out. It stings my ego, but if anything, people seem to respect me more and not less because they see that I hold myself to the same standard as everyone else. That is the process.
11/20/12 6:17 PM
bryan1973
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mat Pimp - I am BB and an instructor (but not the head instructor, I only teach a couple of classes a week) and I roll with everyone of all sizes, levels, and temperaments. Sometimes I even get tapped out. It stings my ego, but if anything, people seem to respect me more and not less because they see that I hold myself to the same standard as everyone else. That is the process.

same here
11/20/12 6:40 PM
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/20/12 6:40 PM
He should roll!

Hell, I'm just a brown belt but have my own small academy, but I wish I could roll less! My elbow has been fucked for 2 months now (kids armbahing me) to the point that it hurts to change gear in the car or open a door! But dammit, it's too difficult to just sit and watch training!
11/20/12 7:05 PM
Rival School

BenBJJ - He should roll!

Hell, I'm just a brown belt but have my own small academy, but I wish I could roll less! My elbow has been fucked for 2 months now (kids armbahing me) to the point that it hurts to change gear in the car or open a door! But dammit, it's too difficult to just sit and watch training!
My left elbow is the same. I have no idea how or when it gets better Phone Post
11/20/12 7:15 PM
X_Rated
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The black belts at my academy (2) will roll with anybody and everybody. The truth comes out on the mats imo. Phone Post
11/20/12 7:17 PM
X_Rated
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I thank them every time for smashing the shit out of me.

Although they always allow us to play our game first and then show us the holes Phone Post
11/20/12 7:38 PM
Slurminho

At my old gym the black belt instructor would only roll with the class every 6 months or so and there was no guarantee you'd get a chance to roll with him depending on the class size. However he didn't personally have an issue with asking him to roll. He was a smaller guy but very active and fit for a 40 year old. It sucked too because there was only blue and white belts in the gym and we were paying a pretty good chunk of change for the classes offered (for example he only taught once or twice a week and the blue belt that filled in for him wasn't particularly skilled).

Thankfully a new gym opened in the area. Black belt instructor rolled with us every class for the first year they were open. He had knee surgery and is just now getting back into it, mostly rolling with the higher ranks that can flow and avoid putting pressure on the knee. Have more than just blue and purple belts at this gym too so at least I was still being pushed when he was out.

Overall I think as long as there's higher ranks in the gym it's not necessary to roll with the students every single class. But my instructor finds it difficult, even with his knee still in recovery - and how can you not if you truly love Jiu-jitsu? But even if you're an older guy I think it's important to really establish some high level blue or purple belts before essentially "retiring" from rolling with the class. Gotta set a standard
11/20/12 7:55 PM
mrgoodarmbar
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a BB instructor at boston brazilian jiu jitsu. When you are instructing a class it can be difficult to roll at the same time. You are responsible for the safety of the students, etc. You need to be paying attention to the class, but when the class is very small and there's an odd number or there are several BBs, then no problem. I teach the smaller daytime class so I do roll about 1/2 the time. When I don't, it's often b/c I haven't done any warm ups.

I'm a 43 year old and 135# and there are some monsters at all belts. Getting "beat" is no big deal. They're using my details! I just try to make sure that I don't get beat by something that broke one of the principles that I was trying to teach.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.