UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Your thoughts on teachers rolling with students.

11/22/12 11:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoinmotion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on the instructor's age, physical condition and overall history. There are excellent instructors on their late 40's and 50's that have been in the game for many years and their bodies are not holding up well. It doesn't mean he can't kick your ass, it only mean that he may not be whiling to the chances of getting hurt. He may have a job to get to next day.
11/22/12 12:24 PM
Sub Reactor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Digitsu -
I'm a BB instructor @ Serra BJJ and I roll with everyone in my academy. I help my students get better and it allows me to assess how the student is doing. Additionally, my thinking is, if he/she can handle themselves against me, another white, blue, purple, should not be a problem.

There is a young and strong purple belt in my academy that gives me a hard time and on occasions he will beat me, when I fall asleep behind the wheel. I don't care if he beats me because it helps him and it helps me too. I like training with him because he is humble and is still willing to learn BJJ from me in order to expand his knowledge. I've always believed a mundial medalist purple belt can beat a BB if the BB is not careful.

For those BB who won't roll with their student, I think it comes down to an security thing. At one time they were probably amazing, now they are little older and they have not found peace in older age. When I say peace I mean, peace with themselves and accepting that the machine is slowing down.

For the most part, in my school it is not acceptable for a lower belt to ask another BB to train, but for me, I don't care if anyone asks. It does not hurt to ask... only answers are painful.

I've always wondered what it was like for the instructors at Serra's BJJ school to have weidman walk in there and compete adcc within a year of training BJJ Phone Post
11/22/12 12:37 PM
SiuHung
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My teacher rolls with classes at least 4x a week unless injured/ill. On average I get at least 2 rolls a month with him and I really appreciate the freedback from him.
I thought this was the norm.
11/22/12 5:18 PM
Team Python
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I roll everyday and with all my students from white to brown.....there are days I am tired but I still roll. I need to spar to evaluate my students progress. I can't see why black belts don't roll with their students but some might have legit reasons.
11/22/12 6:28 PM
MountainMedic
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rival School - 
BenBJJ - He should roll!

Hell, I'm just a brown belt but have my own small academy, but I wish I could roll less! My elbow has been fucked for 2 months now (kids armbahing me) to the point that it hurts to change gear in the car or open a door! But dammit, it's too difficult to just sit and watch training!
My left elbow is the same. I have no idea how or when it gets better Phone Post

i had the same injury. golphers elbow is what it was diagnosed as. i completely stopped training (put a ton of miles on my MTB because i was going crazy not doing anything). it took 6 months of ZERO training to get better & still acts up at times, like when I was running my saw for half a day last week.

at the last gym i seriously trained at i probably rolled on average twice a month with our BB, i was white when i started there and he took me thru to my blue. he would roll with anyone, anytime. goddam, that guy could pressure like no other! it felt like you were drowning in cement. anytime you thought you were making solid progress, you would get on the mat with him and would just smother you while looking bored, lol. you knew what the mouse must feel like when the cat gets ahold of it.

when I was training judo we had 2 BBs teaching. one loved it that I came in as a mostly ground/sub grappling guy and would get on the mats with me at some point during almost every class. the other one, well....., he did alot of demonstrating but i never saw him go "live" with anyone the whole time i was at the school.

also-i've never been in a gym where it wasn't kosher to ask a higher belt to roll, and it was also understood that if the answer was no to just assume that they had a good reason for it & not because they were dismissing you.
11/22/12 8:12 PM
Claude Patrick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I NEVER roll when teaching..
simply because you can't do both at the same time.

when im running a class im wathing and helping the students.. after class or when is specific training time then yup im all in.

food for thoughts in terms of liability issues too ..something crazy goes down what can you say if your rollinh when i happens??hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
11/22/12 8:56 PM
Hywel Teague
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

myates - I have never been in a school where the instructor doesn't roll with his students. Minus injuries and such, there is absolutely no other valid reason they shouldn't, you are paying to improve and rolling with the best in the academy will do that.

Of course right now I train at a "club" that can have a class with over 40 blackbelts in it, you are simply rotating with blackbelt after blackbelt... When you are lucky enough to encounter someone who will not absolutely destroy you, it is like a gift from god :P.

I would never ask a higher belt to train though (i'm a purple), all these guys are from Brazil and yeah, it could be a bit hazardous to my health :P. I know the coaches who don't mind if I ask though, but still don't out of respect.
Sounds like a killer mat. Where is this? Phone Post
11/23/12 12:24 AM
Brian McLaughlin
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Claude Patrick - I NEVER roll when teaching..
simply because you can't do both at the same time.

when im running a class im wathing and helping the students.. after class or when is specific training time then yup im all in.

food for thoughts in terms of liability issues too ..something crazy goes down what can you say if your rollinh when i happens??hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Great points

11/23/12 7:43 AM
Poncey
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Question for the instructors on here that don't roll with students...

How do you know if you're students are applying the right pressure, or in exactly the right place? Or do you just know by watching?
11/23/12 10:36 AM
CursedHand
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My BB instructor will roll with us every class, even though I'm just a crappy white belt. Often in the early class I'm the only guy there and so I'll get to roll with him for about a half hour. He never goes 100%, but won't ever give me anything, so I just try and survive as long as I can.

Our class is really informal so anyone can ask anyone for a roll. I never ask the teacher, but I'm comfortable asking the other black or brown belts now and again. I don't abuse it though, as I realise they're doing me a favour by putting up with me.

Also at my old judo club the instructor would always get stuck in and take us to school even though he was pushing sixty and was the smallest guy in the room.
11/23/12 4:29 PM
BigEyedFish
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I roll every single class and try to get a round in with every student if I can. Rolling = muscle memory. It is an integral part of building and applying bjj knowledge.
11/23/12 6:38 PM
poopstripe
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It usually depends on the size of the class...if there are a lot of people, then my instructor usually walks around and keeps everything safe and smooth. He does roll with all the students pretty frequently though..
11/24/12 12:47 AM
shiki31

I think it's weird for the instructors not to roll with all belts. My instructors roll with ANYONE in the class, any belt. I don't think they could give promotions to students they haven't worked with. I'm from Hilo and a majority of the schools here are Nova Uniao. All of the black belts here roll with all their students. My instructor has come to class at different times with popped ribs a broken pinky and broken middle toe in the past two years. He has never missed a warm up, practice or roll with any injury. As a black belt i think you have to set the tone for the rest of the class, work through injuries and roll with anyone. Phone Post
11/24/12 9:26 AM
ScottLaRock
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Claude Patrick, I grew up with Claude he has been my main teacher through out BJJ and he Rolls and is the shit, But when you own a school you have to watch your students make sure everyone is rolling right, I do roll with my students but If someone is sitting out I will have them watch the class. But also I am older 42 and my body has been through a lot of battles in my years and I can't train everyday or I won't be able to walk the next day, knee's are shot and other parts are getting just as bad. But i do enjoy rolling with the guy's it makes me feel closer to them and I see what changes they need to make. But it's not every class, cause My body can't handle the abuse any more. My only wish is I could be younger, But Given the chance I would not change a thing even with the operations Etc.

Scott Lewis

www.novauniaobjj.com
11/24/12 8:49 PM
A_Butler
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never trained at a gym where the black belt didnt roll with everyone. From kids, to women, to white belts, and all the way up. I think it's pretty stupid if they don't. Unless of course it's because of some health or physical problem. I just don't understand why they wouldn't. Phone Post
11/25/12 1:06 AM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll say again from my point of view: I have health issues now, and feel like I'm NOT doing what I should because I can't roll.
Bottom line from this: I believe every black belt should be rolling with his students almost every class (as long as you also have time to watch and correct them), and make the rounds. There were students who went too wild, or were not good at "holding back" on subs, and I would have to keep my rolls with them less playful, but it should still be happening.
11/25/12 10:11 AM
rebelyell
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My instructor rolls with everybody everynight. Granted we have a very small team right now (4 white belts, 2 blue belts, 1 purple, 1 black). He never gives anything that wasnt earned nor does he completly smash us. He calls it dangling the carrot. Ive been to a few other bigger named academies in my city and i have certainly learned more from him at a lesser cost than paying what some of these other guys are asking and all they do is sit against the wall and chat with their mma guys and have their purple belts run their class.
11/25/12 10:22 AM
rebelyell
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that also helps with the instructor actually getting a more personal feel for their students growth and game which could also determine what techniques are needed to be covered for optimal growth
11/25/12 5:32 PM
clattymine
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't stand the idea of lower ranks not being allowed to ask higher belts to roll, it seems so absurd. It's not about respect or any of that, it seems like its about an ego. Calling someone out is one thing, but asking to roll is so regualr and casual, there's no  reason to have a rule like this behind it. 

11/25/12 6:27 PM
Blkbelt39
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I roll with all my student. IMO you have to to see where they are. Phone Post
11/25/12 6:29 PM
BigEyedFish

clattymine - 

I can't stand the idea of lower ranks not being allowed to ask higher belts to roll, it seems so absurd. It's not about respect or any of that, it seems like its about an ego. Calling someone out is one thing, but asking to roll is so regualr and casual, there's no  reason to have a rule like this behind it. 

yeah I kinda agree. In my school there is no such rule...
12/9/12 3:00 PM
patches

im a bb under matt serra , and i know it was not to cool to ask a bb to roll unless it was common practice prior...then again the more i think about it as the years passed it was more acceptable.
... the early years was more like rocky 3....very hardcore...dirty..tight knit groups of high level guys.

since moving to south carolina i havent trained here, so i dont have any other comparisons
12/9/12 3:04 PM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rival School - 
BenBJJ - He should roll!

Hell, I'm just a brown belt but have my own small academy, but I wish I could roll less! My elbow has been fucked for 2 months now (kids armbahing me) to the point that it hurts to change gear in the car or open a door! But dammit, it's too difficult to just sit and watch training!
My left elbow is the same. I have no idea how or when it gets better Phone Post

is it tennis elbow? i wore that band below my elbow and it worked great

12/9/12 8:24 PM
JRockwell
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both my elbows are totally jacked. I wear Velcro/neoprene sleeves on both, they help, but I will still have to scream tap if my wrist gets smashed down to my shoulder on either arm. Good times Phone Post
12/10/12 10:47 AM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jumping in late, but...

My instructor rolls pretty much every day but as a practical issue he can't really train with everyone with any amount of frequency. When classes are routinely 15 or so students per class (and that is a relatively small class), you just can't do it. Also, we have at least 2 classes a night that size, so...

Just makes it tough.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.