UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Your thoughts on teachers rolling with students.

12/10/12 11:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MountainMedic
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 -
Rival School - 
BenBJJ - He should roll!

Hell, I'm just a brown belt but have my own small academy, but I wish I could roll less! My elbow has been fucked for 2 months now (kids armbahing me) to the point that it hurts to change gear in the car or open a door! But dammit, it's too difficult to just sit and watch training!
My left elbow is the same. I have no idea how or when it gets better Phone Post

is it tennis elbow? i wore that band below my elbow and it worked great

"Golfers" elbow, actually, if its secondary to teh armbahs.

4 years and counting .......... ebb & flow but I can't seem to get it better. Phone Post
12/14/12 2:33 PM
nijuro
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's killing me that I can't roll with my students right now because my rib is jacked-up. I try to roll with everyone, though I focus more on the higher belts who need to be pushed. I feel like there is only so much you can evaluate by watching...to help a student close some of the less obvious holes in his game, I need to feel them for myself. Also, lets say I want to evaluate how a student reacts to spider guard, it's a lot easier to create that situation myself than to wait for it to occur in a roll and hope that I'm watching at the time.

As far as asking black belts to roll...I'll echo the sentiment that I have no problem with it, but attitude matters; if I feel like you're "calling me out," expect a response in kind.
12/14/12 3:16 PM
jv071481
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's important for a student to roll with higher belts and instructor. I'm a brown instructor and occasionally I'll let a student sweep me or pass my guard. It boosts their confidence , which boosts their games. Phone Post
12/14/12 3:17 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - 
12 -
Rival School - 
BenBJJ - He should roll!

Hell, I'm just a brown belt but have my own small academy, but I wish I could roll less! My elbow has been fucked for 2 months now (kids armbahing me) to the point that it hurts to change gear in the car or open a door! But dammit, it's too difficult to just sit and watch training!

4 years and counting .......... ebb & flow but I can't seem to get it better. Phone Post

MountainMedic, if your condition is truly medial epicondylitis (aka "golfer's elbow") then I highly suggest you try this exercise with a green FlexBar made by Thera-Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsa0bBCAf0

I suffered for a long time and this actually made it go away. Maybe it would help you? You can get the flexbar on Amazon.
12/14/12 3:33 PM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to an academy today that I don't usually go to. I have known the teacher for years so it is all good. I took a buddy with me that I usually train with as well. The head instructor asked my buddy to roll. First time they met. Thought that was pretty cool.
12/14/12 5:48 PM
flowwiththego
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a dude in Dallas who runs a MMA program that won't roll. Never seen him, and he runs his mouth about beating his students. Phone Post
12/14/12 7:58 PM
torquemada
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAguy, did this thread influence your decision any? Phone Post
12/15/12 11:32 AM
mmaguy30
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread helped me justify what I believed all along, and showed me I am not "crazy" for feeling like I do.

I am not going to embarrass anyone by throwing out names, there is no need and wouldn't be right... but I have been in a rough place lately with training...

I just spent 20 min typing out a full explanation of what stirred this thread, and after thinking about it... deleted it, and rewrote the following.

I was at a gym where the black belt that ran the place wouldn't roll with me or other "tougher" guys, he always has a BS excuse, everything from a sore pinky (no joke) to being too tired from sleeping too much.

It frustrated me for way to long.

I left, and am opening my own school.

I have an amazing black belt coming in to teach, and part of the deal is 3 privates a week for me. I am going to go to BJJ college. I dont want to be a purple belt running my own school. My hope is that with 2-3 years I will earn my BB . I am in a position where I can train as much as I want, and have several regional black belts, as well as the one coming to my school all committed to helping me. with 2-3 privates a week, plus regular classes and teaching, I think it is a reasonable goal.

I have the full support of Relson Gracie. The name of the academy is Relson Gracie Myrtle Beach

We are really excited to build a beautiful academy, and have already had an outpouring of support that is humbling and exciting to say the least.

I believe that unless there is an injury present, or the BB in question is really old, he should try to work with every student...as often as possible. If you have chosen to make your profession teaching BJJ, then you should do your job, and commit yourself to every student, as they have made the commitment to learn form you.

I have the highest respect for any "senior" belt who will work with anyone and everyone.

If a student is too strong, a spaz, hurting people, etc...then it is the DUTY of the seniors to show him the proper way. It is the job of both the instructor AND the student to grow and become a good training partner for everyone, regardless of size and strength.

Many of the responses in this thread simply affirmed my beliefs, and helped me form an even more positive outlook on this sport and how we should evolve and grow in it.

Thanks to all that contributed.
12/15/12 11:56 AM
Rick Screeton
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on the new school! It will be nice to have more bjj in the area! Phone Post
12/15/12 12:25 PM
BJJRoxy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Professor I train under rolls twice a week with the higher rank bigger guys. I have personally rolled with him 3 times in 4 years and that was only because there were tournaments and such coming up and he wanted to have the chance to coach me I reckon. And needless to say his 10% made me feel like an infant. He only rolls with blue belts and purple belts who are on the competition circuit however he regularly rolls with browns and blacks. I think it's a good thing, especially for the students who get to watch him train. I've personally learned so much from being able to watch him roll during class Phone Post
12/15/12 4:46 PM
BigEyedFish

I dont claim to be doing everything right or to be any sort of authority. But I cant imagine rolling with as many people as I can every class. I try to roll with all of my students. We do about 8 rounds of 6 minutes each per class so everyone gets a chance to roll with me. Plus I frickin love rolling with my guys. Its not always easy, but training is about learning and fun, not about winning...
12/15/12 11:08 PM
patches

good luck ! i hope it works out for you
12/16/12 2:09 AM
MountainMedic
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome, good luck with your new project! Phone Post
12/16/12 2:10 AM
MountainMedic

The Mat Pimp -
MountainMedic - 
12 -
Rival School - 
BenBJJ - He should roll!

MountainMedic, if your condition is truly medial epicondylitis (aka "golfer's elbow") then I highly suggest you try this exercise with a green FlexBar made by Thera-Band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsa0bBCAf0

I suffered for a long time and this actually made it go away. Maybe it would help you? You can get the flexbar on Amazon.
I will 100% look into this, thanks! Phone Post
12/17/12 3:40 PM
Paulo749
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

J. Manly - I roll with everyone who comes thru the door and with my students as it benefits them. However it benefits them much more when I'm able to watch, observe and give feedback where it is due. Phone Post
I agree, I roll all the time but if I'm watching I can gather more information. Phone Post
12/17/12 7:03 PM
Damage360
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never been to a school where the instructor didn't roll at least in some classes (barring injury or upcoming fight), and I've dropped in at a lot of schools
12/20/12 3:23 PM
cawsie77
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roll regularly with my coach. BB under Braulio. He regularly rolls with most students regardless of rank. A lot of us have seen him go through the ranks though. Phone Post
12/20/12 5:12 PM
John Nic

I think that we are transitioning from a old MASTRE type of bjj where all that matters is not getting tapped and if you do, especially as a head instructor or black belt, it's the end of the world and because of this everyone trains super hard ----- to modern bjj free of ego, early taps, good atmosphere and instructors who dosent care about being tapped, who trains where, and what you do outside of class.

The idea of practicing new techniques and ideas instead of relying on your bread and butter every match because you are too afraid to lose.

It's a slow transition and some students today will probably never even catch a glimpse of this mentality and how much more fun it is when you have this type of atmosphere to train in.

Of course.. Leading up to tournaments, competition, etc -- this needs to go out the window for competitors -- but only temporarily. Phone Post
12/21/12 1:53 AM
The Popeye
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I try to roll with as many of my guys as I can.

#1) As their coach I feel I learn more about their game and where the holes are by rolling with them.
#2) Because I like to roll.
#3) Because I like to roll.
12/22/12 4:36 PM
falsecrack
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not an instructor though I will fill in and teach a class every now and then. And I'm not that small at 190 lbs, 5'10

Rolled with a guy just the other day - pretty athletic, very strong. 6'2 about 230-40. Just looking at him I had a feeling he was going to be one of those guys. Apparently he'd done some "MMA"

Sure enough I start off the roll relatively light and giving up position by allowing him to take top when he stands up and launches into a standing arm-in guillotine that is nowhere close to being a choke. holds it for about 3 min, the whole time I know I should just tap and get it over with so I can save my neck some pain but I just eat it until he gets tired. Next I get back to guard and throw up an arm bar which is swiftly countered by him standing up and spiking me on my head. I was like f this, and I went for the toe hold...kicked in the face for my trouble, but finished anyways giving it the extra squeeze. AFterwards I told him I wasn't going to roll with him again. I don't care if I looked like a pussy, I'd rather be able to train again the next day.

Is it the instructor's responsibility to roll with these guys? I dunno, but by the time I'm a blackbelt I'm going to be pushing 40 and I really feel zero obligation to roll with a guy who has no regard for his training partners. Too much potential for injury imo.
12/22/12 5:18 PM
Sub Reactor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 19 years old and a cock diesel 6,1 205lbs I get the better of my instructor half the time (40yo brown belt) but am very respectful and roll with him accordingly. We have an understanding that I "defend the mat" not him. He's paid his dues so I pay mine now by fighting with the assholes so he can teach. Every gym needs a big purple belt guard dog imo Phone Post
12/22/12 6:25 PM
tarado4
482 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Reactor -  I'm 19 years old and a cock diesel 6,1 205lbs I get the better of my instructor half the time (40yo brown belt) but am very respectful and roll with him accordingly. We have an understanding that I "defend the mat" not him. He's paid his dues so I pay mine now by fighting with the assholes so he can teach. Every gym needs a big purple belt guard dog imo Phone Post

I agree - all gyms need a couple of policemen who can put down over enthusiastic aholes

2/18/13 4:17 PM
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have found it odd in BJJ that for some reason after someone achieves the rank of BB, or become a gym owner they suddenly stop actively rolling with their students/other blackbelts. The fact my instructor rolls with anyone who asks and spends a ton of time on the mat is one of the many things I respect about him.
2/18/13 4:37 PM
apollo

I roll with EVERY student at EVERY class. I try to save enough time for everyone to roll with everyone atleast once.

www.grappleco.com
2/18/13 5:39 PM
tbarchard
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train with everybody at my school. I think it's essential for the black belt to train with his/her students. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.