UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Super Powers Poll #1

11/25/12 9:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JudOWNED
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dead Again - 

Phasing.

In the real world I would have maybe considered invisibilty, but in the Marvel world, where people are trying to kill you and aliens invade everyday...I'll take phasing for the defensive uses.

I chose invisibility but had the same concerns. Phasing is definitely a better combat ability, especially because other supers have so many other ways of sensing where you are. But in the real world, invisibility would be freaking amazing. And kinda like how in The Cape a simple power of flight made a guy really powerful, in the real world invisibility would make you pretty much unstoppable.
11/26/12 12:38 AM
BigWilliam
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One explosion or a spray of automatic weapons fire could easily stop even someone that was invisible.
11/27/12 2:37 PM
BaldTony
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my main concerns when thinking about powers in the real world, is always how could I escape when the Government comes calling? So in this contest it would be phasing, definitely. Also think you could do most of the things you could do with invis, but with extra things on top.

Plus with the internet, the main thing most people want invisibility for, is a bit redundant
11/29/12 1:52 AM
lurkingveteran
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dead Again -

Phasing.

In the real world I would have maybe considered invisibilty, but in the Marvel world, where people are trying to kill you and aliens invade everyday...I'll take phasing for the defensive uses.

this exactly Phone Post
11/29/12 3:57 PM
JoeVIP
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tough tough call on this one. I took phasing, the ability to not get hurt is just to great.
11/29/12 6:15 PM
BaldTony
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would happen if you fell off a building and phased before hitting the floor? You would then be stuffed. Can't un-phase as you'd still be moving and the rock would kill you. But if you stay phased, then there is nothing to stop you and you'd eventually get stuck in the centre of the Earth.
11/29/12 6:40 PM
dizz
508 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BaldTony - What would happen if you fell off a building and phased before hitting the floor? You would then be stuffed. Can't un-phase as you'd still be moving and the rock would kill you. But if you stay phased, then there is nothing to stop you and you'd eventually get stuck in the centre of the Earth.

Pop out in China!

11/29/12 7:02 PM
Calebcb
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure how it works, but you still have some degree of movement while phased which is how Kitty can sink and then rise from a floor.
11/29/12 11:30 PM
sside maurice
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mentioned previously that Kitty can "walk on air," which is Marvel's shitty way of describing that she can essentially fly slowly when phased. In the building example, she could:
- fall into the ground and then just walk back up
- stop falling any time before she hit the ground
- walk straight off the building like Elmer Fudd
11/30/12 12:58 PM
BaldTony

Thank you.

Put a bit more thought into it, and the pop out on the other side of the planet thing would work, even without low level flight. You'd reach exactly the same height that you started to fall from, as there is no loss at all from friction. It would just be a straight potential -> kinetic -> potential swap.

Has put my mind at rest, thanks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.