UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Anderson Silva opens as slight favorite over GSP

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/20/12 7:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mr1709
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ anderson being a bully for wanting to challenge another champ who has been dominating for years just like himself. More like gsp is a pussy for trying to avoid this.

Nick diaz would take the fight straight away if offered cause he aint scurd homey
11/20/12 8:17 PM
Xspur
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's just an ignorant perception.

First of all, before JJ came around this was the be all-end all fight. (for these guys, excluding Fedor of coarse).

Secondly, the amount of money to made made here, for everyone involved, makes it worth putting ones "legacy" on the line. To be at the level that these guys are on, you have to have a level of confidence not easily understood by many. The hesitation from GSP is 1. because he had a very dangerous in from of him already and 2. if he is expected to go up a weight class he wants to do it right. Being the competitor he is, he wants to give that fight everything he has and be at his absolute best. He understands how dangerous Silva is and just wants to be ready.

Thirdly, and to address this "bullying" opinion, the UFC is pushing for this fight and Silva is setting it up for them. Trust me, nobody bully's GSP.

Lastly, It makes much more sense to have Silva vs GSP happen before Silva vs Jones. If Anderson beats GSP, he and the UFC would get twice the payday setting up JJ. Plus, we the fans would get twice the treat as well.

I'm getting tired of people saying Silva is picking a fight with GSP because he's scared of JJ. Really? Do you really think Anderson Silva is afraid of Jon Jones? Silva isn't afraid of anyone.
11/20/12 8:21 PM
Xspur
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it didn't get my quote from the guy (Sugar Dick)on the first page about silva bullying gsp... that's why my last post starts out describing a statement. It wasn't intended for the post above mine.
11/20/12 8:42 PM
JediJitsu
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny Ringo -
Sugar Dick -

If this fight happens I hope GSP beats his ass for Anderson bullying him. I lost a lot of respect for Anderson for bullying a small guy into a fight. Let's see you call out Jon Jones, Anderson.

THIS Phone Post
. Phone Post
11/20/12 8:47 PM
ShakeR_
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone else find it nuts to look at a line where GSP has a ' ' after his name? How long has that been? Lol

Also, how long since Silva was less than a 2 to 1 favorite. These guys are usually in the -400 to -600 range regardless of who they fight. It's actually kind of exciting. Phone Post
11/20/12 8:48 PM
ShakeR_
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Support to be 'plus' after his name. Apparently plus signs get screened out. Phone Post
11/20/12 8:52 PM
MMALOGIC

40oztofreedom -  I think the best odd's are that the fight is officially booked and then GSP re-injures his knee and is out... and no one steps up on short notice except Chael. Phone Post

this.  if you look at how many fights GSP has pulled out of due to injury, there is a high probability GSP will get injured again.

11/20/12 8:53 PM
MMALOGIC

unbelievable that the lines are so close...  that's a ton of value on Anderson.

11/20/12 9:47 PM
drrilll
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to see them side by side to see the actual height difference. On paper it is like 4 inches. As someone mentioned, the weight they fight at will have a huge impact on who wins. And Anderson is clearly less confident of facing Jones. He said so himself.
11/20/12 10:24 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
508 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mr1709 - lol @ anderson being a bully for wanting to challenge another champ who has been dominating for years just like himself. More like gsp is a pussy for trying to avoid this.

Nick diaz would take the fight straight away if offered cause he aint scurd homey

First of all don't call a fighter who is 17-2 in the UFC a "pussy".

Anderson is considered the number 1 P4P fighter in the world, Jon Jones is number 2 and GSP is number 3. The supposed best fighter in the world should not challenge the 20-30 lb smaller #3 fighter in the world. Anderson has fought multiple times at LHW, while GSP has never fought above 170. Anderson is WAY bigger than GSP. He fought Bonnar (one of the biggest LHWs around) and didn't look that much smaller than him. If GSP fought Bonnar do you think they'd look comparable in size? Of course not.

The bottom line is that Jon Jones is much closer to him in size and it makes more sense as a pound for pound fight - #1 going against #2.
11/20/12 10:26 PM
orcus

"If GSP fought Bonnar do you think they'd look comparable in size? Of course not."

If GSP fights Maia, who is at 170, do you think they'll look comparable in size? Because Maia and Anderson did.

When GSP fought Condit do you think they looked comparable in size? Because Carlos is the same height and reach as Anderson. 

11/20/12 10:41 PM
mr1709

MachidasStraightLeft - 
mr1709 - lol @ anderson being a bully for wanting to challenge another champ who has been dominating for years just like himself. More like gsp is a pussy for trying to avoid this.

Anderson is considered the number 1 P4P fighter in the world, Jon Jones is number 2 and GSP is number 3. The supposed best fighter in the world should not challenge the 20-30 lb smaller #3 fighter in the world. Anderson has fought multiple times at LHW, while GSP has never fought above 170. Anderson is WAY bigger than GSP. He fought Bonnar (one of the biggest LHWs around) and didn't look that much smaller than him. If GSP fought Bonnar do you think they'd look comparable in size? Of course not.

The bottom line is that Jon Jones is much closer to him in size and it makes more sense as a pound for pound fight - #1 going against #2.

He will after he whoops george
11/20/12 10:42 PM
MachidasStraightLeft
508 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

"If GSP fought Bonnar do you think they'd look comparable in size? Of course not."

If GSP fights Maia, who is at 170, do you think they'll look comparable in size? Because Maia and Anderson did.

When GSP fought Condit do you think they looked comparable in size? Because Carlos is the same height and reach as Anderson. 

These arguments are ridiculous. Anderson is considerably bigger than GSP. If you don't believe that, at least admit he's bigger than GSP.

Anderson is the best fighter in the world, no question about it. Probably the GOAT as well. So tell me, how does it make sense for him to fight the #3 guy in the weight division below him instead of the #2 guy in the weight division above him, where he's already fought several times.
11/20/12 10:45 PM
MachidasStraightLeft

mr1709 - 
MachidasStraightLeft - 

He will after he whoops george

Oh yeah? Did he tell you that himself? If Anderson came out and said that he'd fight Jones after GSP I'd be all for the GSP-Silva fight. That's not the case though.
11/20/12 10:52 PM
orcus

Edited: 11/20/12 10:52 PM
MachidasStraightLeft - 
orcus - 

These arguments are ridiculous. Anderson is considerably bigger than GSP. If you don't believe that, at least admit he's bigger than GSP.

Anderson is the best fighter in the world, no question about it. Probably the GOAT as well. So tell me, how does it make sense for him to fight the #3 guy in the weight division below him instead of the #2 guy in the weight division above him, where he's already fought several times.

No, your argument that how Anderson looks next to Bonnar in a 205 fight proves that Anderson would be way too big for GSP in a 177 fight is ridiculous.

Your argument was that GSP wouldn't look comparable in size to Bonnar and Anderson did, therefore Anderson is way too big for GSP.

If GSP would look comparable to Maia, and so did Anderson, by this logic doesn't this mean that Anderson and GSP can't be too far off? Same goes for Condit.

Also, on whose list is Jones and not GSP #2?

11/20/12 11:11 PM
MachidasStraightLeft

Edited: 11/20/12 11:12 PM
^^ Fair. GSP and Anderson wouldn't too far off in size, but Silva would definitely be bigger.

I think my problem with Anderson is that when Georges went on that tear from 2007-2011, dominating every minute of fights against guys like Hughes, Penn, Fitch, Alves, and Koscheck, we didn't see Anderson calling Georges out - even though that was the fight everyone wanted.

Now, after a lackluster win against Shields and major, major ACL surgery we're seeing Anderson call Georges out. From 2007-2011 you could realistically make a case for either GSP or Silva as the number 1 P4P fighter in the world. Today that's not the case. Jon Jones has supplanted GSP as the number 2 P4P fighter in the world and Anderson should fight him.
11/20/12 11:31 PM
Jacinto
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny Ringo - 
Sugar Dick -

If this fight happens I hope GSP beats his ass for Anderson bullying him. I lost a lot of respect for Anderson for bullying a small guy into a fight. Let's see you call out Jon Jones, Anderson.

THIS Phone Post

I agree but in all honesty Dana has been the one bullying him the most pushing for him to take the fight.
11/21/12 2:02 AM
MercWaMouth85

Sub Phone Post
11/21/12 4:05 AM
Juice Box

Xspur - that's just an ignorant perception.

First of all, before JJ came around this was the be all-end all fight. (for these guys, excluding Fedor of coarse).

Secondly, the amount of money to made made here, for everyone involved, makes it worth putting ones "legacy" on the line. To be at the level that these guys are on, you have to have a level of confidence not easily understood by many. The hesitation from GSP is 1. because he had a very dangerous in from of him already and 2. if he is expected to go up a weight class he wants to do it right. Being the competitor he is, he wants to give that fight everything he has and be at his absolute best. He understands how dangerous Silva is and just wants to be ready.

Thirdly, and to address this "bullying" opinion, the UFC is pushing for this fight and Silva is setting it up for them. Trust me, nobody bully's GSP.

Lastly, It makes much more sense to have Silva vs GSP happen before Silva vs Jones. If Anderson beats GSP, he and the UFC would get twice the payday setting up JJ. Plus, we the fans would get twice the treat as well.

I'm getting tired of people saying Silva is picking a fight with GSP because he's scared of JJ. Really? Do you really think Anderson Silva is afraid of Jon Jones? Silva isn't afraid of anyone.
Silva said he doesn't want jones dude Phone Post
11/21/12 4:19 AM
SinCityHustler

KboyFresh - The only way Silva is anywhere near a -160 chalk is if the fight is at 170 pounds, which is not going to happen. At a catch weight of say, 177.5 pounds, Silva is at minimum a 2 to 1 favorite, probably closer to north of 2.5 to 1. If the fight is at 185 pounds, Silva is over a 3 to 1 favorite, absolutely.

This right here.  I have no interest in seeing this mis match but if they make it I'm jumping on these odds while they last.  This is free money, GSP doesn't stand a chance.  He can't finish and Anderson can't even be hurt.  Conversely Anderson is a destroyer.  He only needs 1 opening.  Just a single mistake by GSP or proper set up by Silva and the fight ends violently.  

Georges is absolutely fantastic.  A magnificent athlete who puts it all together like a true professional but everyone has limitations and GSP has avoided even acknowledging that he has thought of this fight for years now for a very good reason.  He understand what his limitations are.  He cannot beat Silva.  Think Anderson/Franklin 1 or 2, that's how GSP ends up but after a single strike or 2.  

Personally I hope Hendricks/GSP is made instead and that Anderson defends his belt once the middle weight title contender picture clears up a bit.  Preferably against the Count and then the winner or Weidman/Botsch.  Then if the Spider wants to hang it up and call it a career, I'd be just fine with that.  No need to slaughter poor Georges before he hangs it up.  

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.