UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters should rest arms above heads btwn rounds

11/20/12 6:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willingly_Butt_Bonnared
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steven Silar could barely throw punches after the grapple heavy rounds this past weekend. As Rogan pointed out it's because his arms had a ton of blood in them from grappling so much in round 2. Wouldn't it be prudent for his cornerman to rest Silar's arms on his shoulders so the blood could leave his arms more quickly? Use gravity to your advantage. I'm constantly surprised at how unprepared so many cornermen seem. They forget to bring water into the octagon, etc. Phone Post
11/20/12 7:01 PM
Diazed And Confused
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobinHood - The last thing someone with tired arms, shoulders wants to do is raise them. Phone Post
Having them rest just above their heart wouldn't require effort, they could be plopped up on their coaches shoulders as he talks.

I am sure there is a medical reason for why it isn't normally practiced. I'll ask my Paramedic instructor at school tomorrow. Phone Post
11/20/12 7:22 PM
DAVID H
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willingly_Butt_Bonnared -  Steven Silar could barely throw punches after the grapple heavy rounds this past weekend. As Rogan pointed out it's because his arms had a ton of blood in them from grappling so much in round 2. Wouldn't it be prudent for his cornerman to rest Silar's arms on his shoulders so the blood could leave his arms more quickly? Use gravity to your advantage. I'm constantly surprised at how unprepared so many cornermen seem. They forget to bring water into the octagon, etc. Phone Post

More push ups, pull ups, dips, ect. and less flipping tires and swinging sledge hammers.
11/20/12 9:53 PM
misterw
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what makes you think his arms had "too much blood"? Rogan isn't exactly on the cutting edge of sports medicine.
11/20/12 9:53 PM
misterw
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what makes you think his arms had "too much blood"? Rogan isn't exactly on the cutting edge of sports medicine.
11/20/12 10:42 PM
yellow's_Willin
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

misterw - what makes you think his arms had "too much blood"? Rogan isn't exactly on the cutting edge of sports medicine.
His arms were all pumped from utilizing them so much in grappling just like when you lift weights. It seems it could only help to have the blood drain out of them as much as possible to help regain some springiness for punching. Phone Post
11/21/12 7:42 AM
Whambo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know about his last fight, but I remember when Penn was training with Marv between the rounds he'd put up I think one arm on the top of the cage, and he stood.
11/21/12 7:59 AM
MdGeist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if the blood will actually drain from the muscles, but extending  your arms above the head while holding onto something and stretching the lats and the triceps for 30+ seconds always does seem temporarily prevent tightness in the arms after heavy lifting.

11/21/12 8:05 AM
rundymc

Willingly_Butt_Bonnared -  Steven Silar could barely throw punches after the grapple heavy rounds this past weekend. As Rogan pointed out it's because his arms had a ton of blood in them from grappling so much in round 2. Wouldn't it be prudent for his cornerman to rest Silar's arms on his shoulders so the blood could leave his arms more quickly? Use gravity to your advantage. I'm constantly surprised at how unprepared so many cornermen seem. They forget to bring water into the octagon, etc. Phone Post

It's not blood, it's lactic acid buildup. If anything you want more bloodflow.

The only thing that would help in that situation is keeping totally still and attempting to recover. And the only thing to prevent it would be specific conditioning.
11/21/12 8:11 AM
rundymc

yellow's_Willin - 
misterw - what makes you think his arms had "too much blood"? Rogan isn't exactly on the cutting edge of sports medicine.
His arms were all pumped from utilizing them so much in grappling just like when you lift weights. It seems it could only help to have the blood drain out of them as much as possible to help regain some springiness for punching. Phone Post

They are pumped for a reason. Your muscle fibers are doing work and are fatigued. The fatigue is what fucks with you, not blood flow.

You can get a pump without really fatiguing your muscles, btw, and in that state you shouldn't have that much trouble punching, despite the fact that your arms will be as heavy.
11/21/12 8:12 AM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for learning!

11/21/12 8:49 AM
Nitecrawler
1956 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
4l8r
11/21/12 8:50 AM
ortman166

whadafykumeanitstaken - I only read the title and am wondering, did you just get back from peewee football practice coach?
This lol Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.