UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Bass God - Doug Wimbish

11/21/12 1:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
781 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/12 1:29 AM

Doug Wimbish is best known, if not always best-loved, as the replacement for Muzz Skillings in Living Colour. Before that he was one third of Tack-Head. Who were, themselves, the grown-up version of the guys who used to be The Sugar Hill Gang.

Wimbish is a beast, and another guy with HUGE range, not all of it as showy as this... but this is a blast.

11/21/12 1:41 AM
Ali
781 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With Will Calhoun...

11/21/12 1:44 AM
Ali

And an original song, this is Living Colour in Paris, from an officially released DVD. The record has Corey Glover singing lead. It's cool to hear Wimbish singing his own tune.

This isn't particularly about bass heroics, but a bass player isn't always about bass heroics. I love the hard rock sections in the chorus.

11/21/12 12:38 PM
hugomma
1058 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been all caught up with all RSJ & Frisell you've helped me acquire.  Haven't been here for a while.  Look foward to catching up.  Thanks Ali.  

11/21/12 9:49 PM
hugomma
1058 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On top of the ridiculous slap/grove things he does in the fist two clips, his 'lead gutiar' phrasing is incredible.  How in the hell is he getting those octave up guitar tones?

11/23/12 11:51 PM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool great playing, interesting to see him use all of those effects. He's got a great voice too, nice stuff.
11/24/12 11:08 PM
hugomma

Just listened to "Bless Those".  Excellent song, damn good vocals, especally when you've gotta measure up to a guy like Corey Glover.  (Eyes bug out) Bless those jazzmen and boxers.  VTFU, thanks again Ali.

12/7/12 1:18 PM
Palmala Handerson
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Went to a seminar of his back in 2005 at a Guitar store in the town I was living in at the time. I basically shit my pants watching him play, it was unbelievable. He was a really nice guy to, stuck around for a while when it was over and answered everybody's questions.
12/7/12 10:10 PM
Ali

That's awesome Palmala!! (Nice handle, too!)

A couple years ago I was in love with this lovely girl (still kinda am, alas... but...) but... she had, let's say, different tastes in music from mine. I took her to see Finnishe operatic-metal singer Tarja Turunen. Because I knew she'd love it. And I had the special pleasure of seeing freaking Doug Wimbish in the band. I was already a Living Colour and Tack>>Head fan, knew very well how lucky I was to get to see that guy and not just grin and bear it for the sake of a hot girl.

He was amazing. Tarja was good, too, it turns out, and had a good band. But Wimbish was the best thing about it. He played a better lead solo than the lead guitarist (hints of that in the video...)!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.