UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Tornado guard

11/21/12 5:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoeJitsu88
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've seen cyborg and braulio estima use this position are they any other guys on the scene who utilise this position well? If ppl could post vids that would be awesome! Phone Post
11/21/12 7:26 AM
Khelso
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been thinking about messing around with this guard the past week or so. I've only seen a few of vids on YouTube but it would be cool of someone posted some instructionals on it Phone Post
11/21/12 8:00 AM
joshjitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cobrinha and Caio use it a lot as well
11/21/12 8:04 AM
Jessy30
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buchecha just used it at metamoris against roger gracie. Phone Post
11/21/12 8:07 AM
Shemhazai
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buchecha and Abmar Barbosa as well. Also, if you follow the European ADCC scene, Zbigniew Tyszka and Lukasz Michalek are pretty good at it. And speaking of Polish grappling wizards, Bellator fighter Marcin Held makes pretty good use of it in MMA(!)

BTW, Tornado tends to go hand in hand with the RDLR game, so if you don't already use that, you might want to familiarize yourself with it.
11/21/12 8:13 AM
aaronlapoi
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roleta used the tornado guard back in the 90s.
11/21/12 8:43 AM
Rival School
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
11/21/12 1:31 PM
flowwiththego
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I landed the tornado sweep in my last tourney. My camera man caught everything but that. Phone Post
11/21/12 1:36 PM
Morgz
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shemhazai - Buchecha and Abmar Barbosa as well. Also, if you follow the European ADCC scene, Zbigniew Tyszka and Lukasz Michalek are pretty good at it. And speaking of Polish grappling wizards, Bellator fighter Marcin Held makes pretty good use of it in MMA(!)

BTW, Tornado tends to go hand in hand with the RDLR game, so if you don't already use that, you might want to familiarize yourself with it.
I've become a fan of Marcin Held from watching his Bellator fights. Great ground game for MMA. Phone Post
11/21/12 1:56 PM
flee76
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Morgz - 
Shemhazai - Buchecha and Abmar Barbosa as well. Also, if you follow the European ADCC scene, Zbigniew Tyszka and Lukasz Michalek are pretty good at it. And speaking of Polish grappling wizards, Bellator fighter Marcin Held makes pretty good use of it in MMA(!)

I've become a fan of Marcin Held from watching his Bellator fights. Great ground game for MMA. Phone Post

I can't believe how I missed this thread. I just started a thread on Marcin, the guy is a beast.
11/21/12 5:27 PM
Shemhazai

I'm just a recreational grappler and a nobody, but I've been saying for at least a year (on this forum and Sherdog) that I think tornado guard has real MMA applications.

It's a guard position that controls the opponent's posture, offers a TON of attacks (upper body subs, lower body subs, sweeps, back takes - you name it), and perhaps most importantly, it's pretty easy to set up vs. someone trying to smash you in half guard, which is a very common passing strategy in MMA these days.

As for GNP, I don't see it being done effectively as long as the bottom guy keeps the posture broken and threatens with the tornado sweep. If the opponent does manage to posture, he is still in danger of getting swept backwards with Cyborg's 'mule kick' sweep (or just upkicked if legal), and the kneebar is right there for the taking as well, as Marcin Held showed.

Obviously it's still a risky position to play, but so is any bottom position in MMA, and the safest tend to provide few offensive options.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.