UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Considering rampant injuries are here to stay....

11/21/12 10:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MattyECB
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are we going to be seeing a huge change in preparation mentality?
Now, I think a fighter should be lauded for accepting short notice fights, not derided for refusing, but it's clear BLAF ain't gonna change his stance anytime soon.

So refuse a fight if you're not ready or haven't been training, but once you're mid-camp, if you see an opportunity, you gotta grab it for Brownie points -- Kinda like Mitrione did recently when he called up Silva to step in for Carwin.

But what about if you have no fight coming up, but really want one or are cash-strapped?
I'm starting to think in the future, people will look at short-notice fights not just as having to work shitty over-time for a pissy boss, but as the incredible opportunity it can present.
And so it'll become more common to keep a baseline level of training (like GSP) instead of Ricky-Fattoning it up (like Rampage), so they can step in to save cards.

So in the future, do you think it'll become more and more common, particularly with less established fighters, to just always be on-the-ready?
Or is this just unrealistic for most fighters and even dangerous in terms of injury?
11/21/12 10:16 AM
BrCutter
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overbook maybe? Phone Post
11/21/12 10:20 AM
MattyECB
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mean it's fucked up, but in almost any weightclass, you can be sure some injury is gonna pop up that'll give you a chance to step up and make some extra cash / UFC-love, ESPECIALLY if you're an up and coming prospect or need to rebound after a loss.

I mean looking at Mitrione, despite coming of a loss and not having any major wins, he's now got the chance to put his name up their with the likes of Carwin or Nelson, and get a real popularity/rankings boost.

Better yet, because of how volatile everything is, he got to choose between two huge step-ups in competition. Cormier was an amazing opportunity, but it was too difficult, so he waited and now gets a second great opportunity, Nelson.

All the vitriol with BLAF will be forgiven, and he gets a step-up in competition despite having just put on an embarassing performance against the perennial gate-keeper Kongo!
11/21/12 10:22 AM
BrCutter
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the sake of the event..

In regards to having fighters on call, Theres lot of problems with that IMO. Dudes are going to get burnt out staying close to peak so long. Then, they're training more opening them up for more injuries and depleted immune systems. Phone Post
11/21/12 10:29 AM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nope.  unless zuffa institutes random and comprehensive drug testing the injury problem isnt going anywhere.

baseball has seen a 400% increase in injuries because of rampant ped use.  ligaments and joints cannot handle the artificial gains that ped use provides.

I believe it would be a benefit for every fighter to demand a random and comprehensive drug testing policy becuase it is better for their careers.  they wont injure themselves as much and they'll make more money.

11/21/12 12:41 PM
notsobigmike
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also think training is going to evolve.

The sport as we know it hasn't even been around 20 years.

I think a lot of fighters are overtraining, especially leading into a fight.

Eventually dudes will probably maintain a higher baseline fitness level, but not push it as hard in training.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.