UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan explains fat ref and Lance Bass comments

11/21/12 3:17 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During the Tom Lawlor vs. Francis Carmont fight at UFC 154 on Saturday night, UFC announcer Joe Rogan turned to his esteemed colleague Mike Goldberg and said "I got a question for you - how fat can you be and still be a referee?"

This is the referee in question:

During the lead in to Johny Hendricks vs. Martin Kampmann, Rogan quipped "Martin Kampmann comes from behind more often than Lance Bass."

This is Lance Bass, showing off his wrist tatto.

The Kanji reads "Jiu-Jits."

Several male grandmothers on the Internet got up in arms over the remarks, to the point that Rogan addressed them on a recent Joe Rogan Experience podcast.

11/21/12 3:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DamirioN
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ male grandmothers. Awesome.
11/21/12 3:24 PM
3 Sided Square
359 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DamirioN - lol @ male grandmothers. Awesome.
This, wtf. Phone Post
11/21/12 3:27 PM
Ip Man 81
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm gunna have to smoke a bowl and watch that again later, too funny! Phone Post
11/21/12 3:28 PM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/12 3:29 PM

Complete Bullshit on Joe Rogan's part if you ask me. I am fat (the pic of me should prove that), if I was reffing the fight then fair enough.

Ok that guy was biggish but nowhere near as fat as Rogan is making out. He goes on about the guy not being able to stop people from beating each other up but he doesn't question Steve Mazzagatti or Mario Yamasaki who are smaller dudes. I'm pretty sure if the heavy weights wanted to continue fighting there isn't a lot they could do.

So nice try on worming out of it Joe, but I ain't buying it.

11/21/12 3:32 PM
JJSFC
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Rogan. I do find him funny but at times his lack of professionalism grates on me.
11/21/12 3:34 PM
Juggernautt
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Benwahwah -

Complete Bullshit on Joe Rogan's part if you ask me. I am fat (the pic of me should prove that), if I was reffing the fight then fair enough.

Ok that guy was biggish but nowhere near as fat as Rogan is making out. He goes on about the guy not being able to stop people from beating each other up but he doesn't question Steve Mazzagatti or Mario Yamasaki who are smaller dudes. I'm pretty sure if the heavy weights wanted to continue fighting there isn't a lot they could do.

I agree on that. No way a tiny dude like yves lavigne gets a fighter to stop who doesnt want to Phone Post
11/21/12 3:34 PM
Card
1907 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rogan said it won't happen again... 

11/21/12 3:39 PM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found both comments funny, I however am not gay or fat. Phone Post
11/21/12 3:39 PM
56sav

That Lance Bass joke was f'n hilarious :-D
11/21/12 3:40 PM
TartanTopTeamSextoy#2

Little man syndrome IMO Phone Post
11/21/12 3:41 PM
MattyECB
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Benwahwah - 

I agree he really exaggerated the fat guy's weight, but let's be fair here. He specifically mentions Yamasaki in that podcast, in fact in that very clip - did you watch it?

He brings up how he is a BJJ Blackbelt and incredibly strong / in shape
11/21/12 3:43 PM
UGCTT_mofit
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 later

11/21/12 3:44 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe came off like a douche that time.

Whatever, still a fan, just needs to watch his mouth like everyone else on TV.

All goods.
11/21/12 3:45 PM
MattyECB
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But I really do agree that he doesn't bring up smaller or older referees.

So although I agree with his general sentiment, that there should be a minimum level of fitness or strength, and although I do believe he really meant what he said, it's clear he's more bias against overweight people than any other characteristic that can limit a referee's potential to control fighters in the ring
11/21/12 3:46 PM
Bentleysuper8

Guy was not that fat and I think Joe inadvertently slighted small refs. The joke was funny for sure but his rationalization was pretty weak.
Bentleysuper8

Edited: 11/21/12 3:46 PM
wtf
Bentleysuper8

Edited: 11/21/12 3:48 PM
How the fuck do I quadruple post?
Bentleysuper8

Edited: 11/21/12 3:47 PM
11/21/12 3:47 PM
greenseed
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fat refs are bad for the sport

11/21/12 3:48 PM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattyECB - 
UGCTT_Benwahwah - 

I agree he really exaggerated the fat guy's weight, but let's be fair here. He specifically mentions Yamasaki in that podcast, in fact in that very clip - did you watch it?

He brings up how he is a BJJ Blackbelt and incredibly strong / in shape

I did listen to it, but still feel that if the heavyweights wanted to carry on Yamasaki would struggle to stop them. In fact I mentioned Yamasaki on purpose as I think he was wrong in what he said.

I also think that if the ref from the Lawlor fight was reffing the Hendo/Bisping fight he would have stopped it at the same time. Even I would have waddled over there and stopped it at about the same time. Admittedly both fighters would have probably felt the wrong side of my weight but the cage isn't exactly 5 miles wide.
11/21/12 3:50 PM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

greenseed -

fat refs are bad for the sport

Fat people are bad for the world! How many fat people have influenced the course of history?

America has only had 1 fat president for a reason. Phone Post
11/21/12 3:51 PM
Kostakio
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, here are my thoughts, if anyone cares. But let me preface them by saying that I am maybe the biggest Joe Rogan fan ever so it's tough to be brutally honest as I'm about to be.

It's obvious that Joe, for whatever reason, didn't put too much thought into what he said that night when it came to non-MMA commentary and now he's too proud to fully admit he was wrong/apologize and is instead trying to justify his actions. And well, that's okay because we have ALL done that at some point in our lives. Sometimes your ego takes the reins and it's hard to wrestle them back.

By the way, much respect and admiration for you, Benwahwah, for posting your pic. You seem like a cool dude and I can understand how you or anyone remotely chubby would take offense. The truth is that Joe shouldn't have said those jokes (on air) and kept them strictly for his friends... or even the UG. But whatever... as people who are 'all one' whether we like it or not, we have to realize that we've at one time engaged in similar behavior and therefore must be forgiving.

With that said, I still love and enjoy Joe Rogan no matter what. He could call my dad a "fat faggot" and I'd LOL because he's a lovable dude (no homo). Phone Post
11/21/12 3:52 PM
12SixElbow
614 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you listen to Rogan's podcast he cuts down fat people fairly often, nothing new.

11/21/12 3:53 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Complain all you want about the UG Blog, but that OP deserved a VTFU imho.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.