UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rogan explains fat ref and Lance Bass comments

11/21/12 3:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kostakio
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist -
greenseed -

fat refs are bad for the sport

Fat people are bad for the world! How many fat people have influenced the course of history?

America has only had 1 fat president for a reason. Phone Post
Not sure if serious... Phone Post
11/21/12 3:54 PM
MattyECB
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Joe came off like a douche that time.

Whatever, still a fan, just needs to watch his mouth like everyone else on TV.

All goods.

I thought he was on point about the gay comment. It was wrong to do because of the medium and that there might be younger people watching, but he said absolutely nothing derogatory or homophobic.
Not a single element of that joke portrayed homosexuals or homosexual sex in a negative light, nor did it imply a discomfort or fear of homosexuals.

I mean if he said that Hendricks' right hand finishes more consistently than a 13 year old's, or that Diaz likes to pound in the pocket harder than a straight man leaving prison, or that Chonan scissors harder than Rachel Maddow -- I wouldn't expect sex-starved teenagers, straight men or lesbians to get offended.

He'd be simply picking a dominant form of sexual activity for each demographic, and making a silly comparison to a fighter.

11/21/12 3:55 PM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do want to add that I am still a Rogan fan, I just think he is dead wrong on this. I didn't even mind when he said it. If he'd just admitted it was a joke in poor taste then fair enough, I laugh at way sicker shit.

It's him trying to explain his way out of it that is pissing me off.
11/21/12 4:03 PM
Bentleysuper8
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So by Joe's rationale, Roy Nelson would be unqualified to be a ref? So if you're a big man you can FIGHT in the octagon but not ref in it? Joe should just man up and confess he's full of shit on this one.
11/21/12 4:04 PM
Anderson P Sonnen
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actual referee size

Size of referee after listening to the Joe Rogan experience

11/21/12 4:07 PM
dwhy83
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Rogan's offering a rationalization to appease the higher ups, just in case they're watching. But I think he shouldn't.

His comments are entertaining. If someone hears them, then decides UFC isn't for them because of that, they shouldn't be watching anyway.

UFC carries with it a subculture of sophomoric humor and violence, so if an edgy non-PC joke hurts your delicate sensibilities, you should switch on PBS rather trying to make the whole world confirm to you. Phone Post
11/21/12 4:07 PM
Malagant
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why are people such fucking Pussies nowadays? OMG he called me Fat FML!
11/21/12 4:09 PM
Kostakio
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson P Sonnen -

Actual referee size

Size of referee after listening to the Joe Rogan experience

haha (Sorry, Joe!) Phone Post
11/21/12 4:11 PM
6ULDV8
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I nodded my head through everything he said, and people's kids would have no idea what that meant anyway.

Joe is like the adults talking funny, and I appreciate it.

Rock on Rogan.  You rule.

PrettyBoy
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
Kostakio

dwhy83 - I think Rogan's offering a rationalization to appease the higher ups, just in case they're watching. But I think he shouldn't.

His comments are entertaining. If someone hears them, then decides UFC isn't for them because of that, they shouldn't be watching anyway.

UFC carries with it a subculture of sophomoric humor and violence, so if an edgy non-PC joke hurts your delicate sensibilities, you should switch on PBS rather trying to make the whole world confirm to you. Phone Post
I disagree with pretty much everything you posted, but especially this:

"UFC carries with it a subculture of sophomoric humor and violence, so if an edgy non-PC joke hurts your delicate sensibilities, you should switch on PBS rather trying to make the whole world confirm to you." Phone Post
11/21/12 4:13 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seemed as if he said it because he didn't like the ref because he kept separating the fighters while they were clinching against the fence. He did come off as a douche that night. I'm not fat nor gay but yeah it was a douche move.
11/21/12 4:13 PM
JoeRogan420

I understand where Joe was coming from. A larger, more unfit ref would have problems not only with stopping the fight in time but generally getting in the way of the action.

Their sheer size would limit their mobility not to mention lack of muscle memory affecting agility.

However the ref wasn't THAT fat. Just a big dude. Hence his comments could be perceived as prejudice

My comments are 100% subjective. Please negate my username for this post.

11/21/12 4:16 PM
dummythrust

Edited: 11/21/12 4:20 PM
i liked during gsp - condit when goldberg said "headkick!" and joe went "lmao! telegraphed!" - and then condit came back with a headkick that almost ended the fight

edit: but he also just did a les stroud podcast so all is forgiven
11/21/12 4:17 PM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also what about Kim Winslow and any other female referee for that matter. Should the athletic commission be looking into whether they should reffing bouts between men? No of course not because that would be sexist bullshit.
11/21/12 4:19 PM
Chris27

I dont even remember how fat the guy was but I agree with Rogan, you need to be able to run across the cage and stop a fight to keep someoen from being hurt. maybe he was saying it as a joke and didnt realize it would grow into something bigger and the ref aint really that fat but I agree on the surface with what he is saying.

There should be some limits to a refs weight, also that female ref, is she able to stop someone from beating on a dude if he doesnt let go of a sub? Sure if every fighter is 100 percent respectful and listens when you say stop but we've seen refs have to pull guys off and pull them to stop a sub, can that female ref do that?
11/21/12 4:22 PM
AbbottMary
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why doesn't the ref just lose weight? probably the best solution.
11/21/12 4:22 PM
HexRei

Edited: 11/21/12 4:33 PM
LOL. UG Blog.
11/21/12 4:26 PM
HexRei

MattyECB - 
Zed Wayne Zed - Joe came off like a douche that time.

Whatever, still a fan, just needs to watch his mouth like everyone else on TV.

All goods.

I thought he was on point about the gay comment. It was wrong to do because of the medium and that there might be younger people watching, but he said absolutely nothing derogatory or homophobic.
Not a single element of that joke portrayed homosexuals or homosexual sex in a negative light, nor did it imply a discomfort or fear of homosexuals.

I mean if he said that Hendricks' right hand finishes more consistently than a 13 year old's, or that Diaz likes to pound in the pocket harder than a straight man leaving prison, or that Chonan scissors harder than Rachel Maddow -- I wouldn't expect sex-starved teenagers, straight men or lesbians to get offended.

He'd be simply picking a dominant form of sexual activity for each demographic, and making a silly comparison to a fighter.

Well, it did imply that Lance Bass does ass fucking, which is a stereotype. Not all gay dudes do ass fucking. And believe it or not, plenty of straight dudes assfuck. So while I see your point, it was still basically poking fun at the particular stereotype of gay men that Joe happens to buy into.

Yes he's a comedian, we all know this, and he is expected to say shocking stuff in the name of jokes, but when it mixes in with his role as a representative of the sport is where it gets weird.

Huge Rogan fan here, btw.
11/21/12 4:26 PM
WikiTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy Nelson is fat. Does Joe think Roy wouldn't be fit enough to be a ref? Of course Roy is fit enough to be a ref. But Joe knows that because he knows who Roy is. Rogan had no idea who that ref was or his qualifications when making the comment, so he was basically talking out of his ass. That ref could be a beast on the mat and Rogan wouldn't know it because he didn't even know the ref's name. So Rogan was judging the guy and not on his abilities, but his looks as a means to discredit the ref's ability.

11/21/12 4:29 PM
Kostakio

AbbottMary - Why doesn't the ref just lose weight? probably the best solution.
lol Phone Post
11/21/12 4:40 PM
Stu Cazzo

SUB

11/21/12 4:41 PM
Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist -
greenseed -

fat refs are bad for the sport

Fat people are bad for the world! How many fat people have influenced the course of history?

America has only had 1 fat president for a reason. Phone Post
You must have slept during history class. Phone Post
11/21/12 4:46 PM
UGCTT_Benwahwah

Stu Cazzo - 

SUB

Would you like cheese on that?
11/21/12 4:48 PM
Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fat referee -

The point that Joe makes that is really fucking important is that refs NEED TO MOVE QUICKLY, primarily when there is a flash KO and the fighter is able to land as many additional shots as he'd like until the ref gets there.

If you are a wife, mother, or father of a fighter, and your loved one gets clocked like Kampmann, do you really want a Cecil Peoples in there to stop Johnny Hendricks from landing 5-10 additional punches? 

FIFA soccer refs and NFL refs have to pass conditioning tests and there should be a test for MMA refs too (albeit not as rigorous).

I've seen a few refs on the UFC level where I say to myself, "I would not feel comfortable having him be my last line of defense in a mixed martial arts match."

I say that everytime I see Kim Winslow as well but for different reasons.

Lol at your name!!!! That is awesome!

At the end of the day I don't see why anyone is surprised by Joe saying this nor offended as a fatty myself. Joe was a comedian first and if you have seen some of his older standup he likes to tread on the edge. He has one special where he throws the n bomb around like CRAZY. Some comedians an otherwise have ruined their careers over dropping it once. "Joe don't give no fucks mang!".

I honestly thing people in general, myself included, need to take a step back and quit take themselves so seriously. You aren't special. You aren't a unique and beautiful snowflake. Laugh a bit. Things will be okay. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.