UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gegard Mousasi Says He's UFC Bound, Can Beat Anyon

11/22/12 1:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
4thHorsemen
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait for Mousasi to come to the UFC. I'm sure he'll be one of the top guys at LHW, and could potentially rule the MW division once Silva retires.

As for the people making a big deal about his wrestling, I think he's solid. He is more dangerous off his back than Shogun. Shogun has terrible takedown defense and I think Mousasi's probably better there. Also, Gegard has excellent striking (never gets hurt in a fight). So if Shogun's been near (or at) the top of the LHW division for the past however many years, I don't know how anyone can seriously say Mousasi will be outmatched. He is a better version of today's Shogun in my opinion.
11/22/12 3:55 PM
SpiritualElixir
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mousasi has super talent

NoDoubt Phone Post
11/22/12 4:20 PM
Wasa-B
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil McCauley - 
Wasa-B - 
Neil McCauley - -Dennis kang is legit black belt = submitted off back in 2 minutes

- jacare is an elite world class blackbelt = ko'd off back in 2 minutes

- Yes it was from the guard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0QDyPFYi9s

- fuck your compustrike stats im using my memory!

Kang is a legit bb, Jacare is one of BJJs best and those were awesome but both happened off transitions from standing into the guard, not saying 'not legit' but i dont think he's come close to making those kind of things happen since (2008) off his back and he's had far lesser guys in terms of BJJ in his guard.

Again, fan of the guy but imo he's not that money off his back. Def not as good as Diaz.

the only time hes been on his back since 2008 was against king mo and jardine. Jardine is a blackbelt with solid grappling, mo a world class wrestler. Both guys had the advantage of no upkicks to down opponents. both guys didnt get finished but got beat up while doing no damage. gegard even got deducted a point for upkicking jardrine. You know he just wanted to kick his face off. I think mousasi got in shit for upkicking mo as well, even though he purposely hit the chest?

Agreed diaz is better. diaz himself has one of, if not the best guards in mma.

Fair points. Jardine aint no joke and Mo while perhaps a novice in BJJ but as a wrestler would not be totally easy to sweep on top. Yes, i also recall Gegard was slapping him around from his guard and Mo was doing legit LNP. Good point on how often he's been on his back since then and also the kicking to a downed opponent rule.

But i still dont think he's got a "great guard," not saying its bad or not good, just not great. I think we can agree Diaz's guard is great.
11/22/12 4:21 PM
Wasa-B
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McCauley, btw, what do think of him fighting at LHW instead of MW?
11/22/12 4:55 PM
Neil McCauley

I think hes undersized at 205 for sure. He had some plan to gain a bunch of weight because he was having harder time making 185, but i dont think hes really managed to gain much at all. Gegard used to even talk about bulking to heavyweight like overeem. His best weight class is 185 where he doesnt have the size disadvantage, but hes technical enough to give any 205er a run for their money. That is if he returns from this torn ACL in peak form.
11/22/12 6:36 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This dude is laid back as fuck. Awesome talent.

11/22/12 7:50 PM
Wasa-B

Neil McCauley - I think hes undersized at 205 for sure. He had some plan to gain a bunch of weight because he was having harder time making 185, but i dont think hes really managed to gain much at all. Gegard used to even talk about bulking to heavyweight like overeem. His best weight class is 185 where he doesnt have the size disadvantage, but hes technical enough to give any 205er a run for their money. That is if he returns from this torn ACL in peak form.

Didnt know about his ACL, has he been out from this between his last fight and next upcoming SF fight?

Does he really have trouble making MW? He doesnt really look particularly even like a huge MW. He is pretty lean already but he is def undersized at LHW and I agree he is probably as technical as anyone at LHW in striking but he would still have trouble dealing with the size, strength and thus conditioning at LHW in the UFC and of course in the wrestling dept.

At this point, I think he would probably have the edge in pure standup against Shogun as Shogun looks a lot slower now days and the precision and methodical approach he showed against Machida seems to be more a memory. But Shogun still has the striking power of a legit LHW as well as the chin and i could picture him taking Gegard down a lot too since Shogun times his tds really well in conjunction with his standup.
11/22/12 9:54 PM
stonepony

junobeach - It's over for Jon Jones

Hah...
11/22/12 11:49 PM
Neil McCauley

Wasa-B - 
Neil McCauley - I think hes undersized at 205 for sure. He had some plan to gain a bunch of weight because he was having harder time making 185, but i dont think hes really managed to gain much at all. Gegard used to even talk about bulking to heavyweight like overeem. His best weight class is 185 where he doesnt have the size disadvantage, but hes technical enough to give any 205er a run for their money. That is if he returns from this torn ACL in peak form.

Didnt know about his ACL, has he been out from this between his last fight and next upcoming SF fight?

Does he really have trouble making MW? He doesnt really look particularly even like a huge MW. He is pretty lean already but he is def undersized at LHW and I agree he is probably as technical as anyone at LHW in striking but he would still have trouble dealing with the size, strength and thus conditioning at LHW in the UFC and of course in the wrestling dept.

At this point, I think he would probably have the edge in pure standup against Shogun as Shogun looks a lot slower now days and the precision and methodical approach he showed against Machida seems to be more a memory. But Shogun still has the striking power of a legit LHW as well as the chin and i could picture him taking Gegard down a lot too since Shogun times his tds really well in conjunction with his standup.

Yes he hasnt fought since the ACL injury.

I think his trouble making weight was more due to perhaps poor weight cutting techniques because i dont think he looks like a huge MW either. He is a lanky 6'2, but doesnt have that dense bone structure of say a shogun. I bet if he got with some american mma camp like ATT or AKA and he would have no problems making middleweight. A guy like rockhold is much bigger than mousasi.

I certainly wouldnt consider mousasi a lock to beat shogun, but shogun seems to have lost the form he regained during the first machida fight like you said. Shogun has big power and a sick chin, but so does mousasi. I dont think mousasis ever been knocked down in mma, kickboxing or boxing. Both guys have underrated trips in the clinch. This fight would be a war one way or another.
11/22/12 11:59 PM
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IF he fights at 185 he is instantly in the top 3 fighters at that weight.
11/23/12 5:09 AM
AndrewJitsu
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

303 - IF he fights at 185 he is instantly in the top 3 fighters at that weight.
I think you're right. He presents a lot of problems for a lot of guys. Phone Post
11/23/12 11:41 AM
Kid_dynamite319

fat referee - 

If Gegard isn't at 185, he's gonna have a bad time

Why should Gegard drop to 185?
11/23/12 3:19 PM
LAE

Awesome to see that he's on his way.

I'd love to see Mousasi vs Lil Nog.

(I still think Gergard is the only MMA fighter alive who could hang with Anderson standing at 185)
11/23/12 4:43 PM
Ayk07

Kid_dynamite319 -
fat referee - 

I have seen most of his fights and he seems to have better cardio and speed at 185, not that he is slow. Also guys at 205 in the ufc are big and combined with high skilled wrestlers it could be hard to get used to it. Kid is only 25 and has all the skills to be a great fighters. A big with in the ufc could be the push he needs just like many other fighters before him. Phone Post
11/23/12 6:57 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
908 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil McCauley - gegard is like nick diaz, too dangerous on the feet, too dangerous off his back, one of the best pound for pound fighters on the planet and will only lose via crooked top "control" judge decisions.

yea dat

11/23/12 7:48 PM
orcus

I don't see guys like Davis having any trouble taking Mousasi down or being in any trouble from his guard game. 

11/23/12 9:21 PM
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At 185 he would pose the only threat outside of Weidman.
11/23/12 9:29 PM
Eunuchorn
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Imagine Gegard vs Glover I would shit myself
11/23/12 9:41 PM
Rear Naked Chode
351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait,.been so many years in the making . So many good potential matchups. War Gaygaurd.
11/24/12 3:36 PM
Wasa-B

Anyone know if there have been previous attempts by Zuffa or Moussasi's camp to get him in the UFC and if so, whats been holding them back?
11/24/12 4:33 PM
ender852
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Anyone know if there have been previous attempts by Zuffa or Moussasi's camp to get him in the UFC and if so, whats been holding them back?

7 fight deal with strikeforce, once they go away it's gold.

11/24/12 7:21 PM
kalki

the Mousasi is one of my fav's...please have him train with a good camp instead of just his family......
11/24/12 10:39 PM
Wasa-B

but why did he go to SF and not UFC?
11/25/12 3:04 PM
Kid_dynamite319

Ayk07 - 
Kid_dynamite319 -
fat referee - 

I have seen most of his fights and he seems to have better cardio and speed at 185, not that he is slow. Also guys at 205 in the ufc are big and combined with high skilled wrestlers it could be hard to get used to it. Kid is only 25 and has all the skills to be a great fighters. A big with in the ufc could be the push he needs just like many other fighters before him. Phone Post

IMO he would lose to Bisping and wouldnt beat the top 5 in the MW division he would get taken down and get gnp'd all day... He is a great fighter but his wrestling is certainly lacking.
11/25/12 3:12 PM
bleedblue1

hey full contact fighter- maybe instead of posting on the ug- you can take the time and refund all the money your subscribers lost after you cancelled your magazine with no notice.

Just a thought. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.