UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Edson Barboza vs Justin Salas

11/21/12 8:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stevia's sex slave
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apparently Edson Barboza is fighting Justin Salas.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31748/ufc-on-fx-7-belfort-vs-bisping-official-for-sao-paulos-ginasio-do-ibirapuera.mma

Not really a direct confirmation but MMAJunkie is generally accurate.

Edson is coming off the first loss of his career, a TKO to Jamie Varner, before that he was considered one of the best prospects at lightweight. He also holds one of the greatest KOs in MMA history:

Salas is 1-1 in the UFC, coming off a quick beatdown loss to Tim Means, where he got caught early and couldn't recover. Before that he earned a very close decision over Anton Kuivanen.

This is strange matchmaking. The intention is obvious (highlight reel win for Barboza) but I don't see why he's getting such a step down. I like Salas but he doesn't really present much of a threat for Edson outside of his wrestling, which I doubt will be the difference maker.

Thoughts?

11/21/12 8:11 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to see him back in the cage.

11/22/12 1:58 AM
stevia's sex slave
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Glad to see him back in the cage.

Same here. I can't wait to see if he adapts, and his muay thai is always entertaining. I guess no one else is interested in this fight?

11/22/12 2:05 AM
BrunoMcGyver
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really strange. He's a flashy striker with a lot of upside and the fight is being held in his home country of Brazil in the prelims.

UFC wants to give him an easy spectacular highlight reel win (like you said) in fron of the Brazil fans to make them happy and hyped up for the rest of the card.

It will also boost Barboza's confidence dramatically if he gets back to winning ways in the Octagon.
11/22/12 2:54 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gimmie fight for Barboza.

Just glad to see him back. Phone Post
11/22/12 1:00 PM
stevia's sex slave

BrunoMcGyver - Not really strange. He's a flashy striker with a lot of upside and the fight is being held in his home country of Brazil in the prelims.

UFC wants to give him an easy spectacular highlight reel win (like you said) in fron of the Brazil fans to make them happy and hyped up for the rest of the card.

It will also boost Barboza's confidence dramatically if he gets back to winning ways in the Octagon.
You don't think they could have found a bigger name to give Barboza a win over? I was hoping they'd match him up with Gomi, which is more than winnable and would be a big name for his resume (not to mention it'd be a great fight). Phone Post
11/22/12 1:28 PM
Acidic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont think hes as great as people make him out to be. His stand up has both transitioned well and not that well at the same time.

Pearson &Anthony exposed him and sadly got robbed in a fight I saw him winnning convincingly. Then Varner took over and finished the job.

Edson is a good striker but just to hesitant and relies on one hit to win him the fight. 

11/22/12 3:08 PM
stevia's sex slave

I don't know if you can say Anthony and Pearson exposed him. Anthony is one of the best strikers at lightweight, likely in the top 5 in the division, and in my opinion, Edson beat him convincingly. The Pearson fight was closer but I still thought Edson won. He does need to improve his boxing defense though. He is young and I think he has a ton of time to improve, and his potential is limitless, IMO, his muay thai is amazing when it works. Phone Post
11/23/12 9:32 PM
stevia's sex slave

TTT

Sorry for TTTing my own thread but I was excited to find out Edson got a fight, maybe some others will be as well. Strange that no websites are really reporting this one. Phone Post
11/23/12 9:50 PM
Libero21
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Salas got beat up pretty bad by means.. Phone Post
11/24/12 10:41 PM
stevia's sex slave

One final TTT in case any other Barboza fans are interested. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.