UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Dragonball Z has ruined comic discussion

11/22/12 12:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ABE FROMAN
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know how many times a discussion of most powerful superheros has led to some moron talking about Dragonball-nobody-but-you-nerds-watch-that-shit Z.

That shit is so confusing and shouldn't be mentioned amongst superheros at all.

Anime-ish is best kept in it's own corner.

11/22/12 1:29 AM
supersaiyan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/22/12 1:35 AM
Alger Hiss
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude, this one time, SUpergoku was level fifteen and he threw the sun and shit. And then he was level 25 in this other comic and he totally got outraced by the Flash. So I'm thinking a level 35 Mr. Satan could probably freeze the ocean with his cryo-piss-breath before the time-squid could replace Spiderman's clone with an alternate-universe version of Doctor Doom.

11/22/12 4:07 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like DBZ. They just couldn't step to guys like supes or Thor or silver surfer Phone Post
11/22/12 1:21 PM
paw
1176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN - 

I don't know how many times a discussion of most powerful superheros has led to some moron talking about Dragonball-nobody-but-you-nerds-watch-that-shit Z.

That shit is so confusing and shouldn't be mentioned amongst superheros at all.

Anime-ish is best kept in it's own corner.

brief rants:

Anime is considerably more diverse than superheroes.

If DBZ had Superman level sales, Toriyama would have committed suicide.  WB would have wet dreams to have sales levels that were a fraction of DBZ.

It's...interesting that folks complain that DBZ characters are too powerful...a dubious statement the way folks talk about Hulk, Superman, star wars characters, etc....

11/22/12 10:35 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a nerd and even I think Dragonball Z is for phaggots Phone Post
11/23/12 11:56 AM
supersaiyan

it works both ways to be honest.

truthfully i love comics either way and quite a very decent variety...the only true PHAGGOTRY is when people (like pathetic ADULTS) take it to a serious level and literally sacrifice themselves to prove or convince their points n opinions...AKA

FANBOYISM
11/23/12 8:24 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get the appeal, at all... but to each his own.

11/24/12 3:36 AM
Built Like A Fedor
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never got into Dragonball Z.. Never understood the appeal, but to each his own.. Phone Post
11/24/12 8:43 AM
bogle1
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love dragon ball Z, I'm a big anime fan tho stopped buying Comics ages ago but will never stop buying anime or reading manga, Phone Post
11/24/12 10:09 AM
ec
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Manga and anime, like paw said, are so much more diverse than American comics today. Loved the superhero books when I was younger, but growing up I left them by the wayside and American comics ace me very little as an adult to keep me interested. There are gems like anything BKV puts out, some Garth Ennis stuff, some indie books...

But manga/anime have something for everyone. I got married back in September, and my wife, whose only experience with anime was Avatar (more anime-ish than anime), is already hooked on shows I was watching. Now we watch Space Brothers, Sword Art Online, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood together. We just watched Summer Wars last night.

The only comic I have been able to get her to read currently is Saga. She also reads Buffy.

More to the point of the thread, DBZ was awesome when I was younger. But, like the superhero books, I left it behind. Anime gave me things to keep me interested as a teen, then as an adult. Comics didn't do that as much. Phone Post
11/24/12 11:53 AM
killacox

Leigh -  I like DBZ. They just couldn't step to guys like supes or Thor or silver surfer Phone Post

!!!!

im going to power up for a few posts before i start to argue
11/24/12 3:54 PM
Retired Douchebag
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alger Hiss - Dude, this one time, SUpergoku was level fifteen and he threw the sun and shit. And then he was level 25 in this other comic and he totally got outraced by the Flash. So I'm thinking a level 35 Mr. Satan could probably freeze the ocean with his cryo-piss-breath before the time-squid could replace Spiderman's clone with an alternate-universe version of Doctor Doom.

Plus your concept of power levels is all wrong. The power ratings are by numbers. For example, a human with a weapon has a power level of 5. Goku and Piccolo were rated about 350 to 450 when fighting a level 1,000 Raditz. Vegeta and Nappa were around 20,000 to 100,000 when they came onto Earth. Generally, Freeza's power level was 1 million when on Planet Namek. 

At about 10,000 however, Vegeta and Nappa were destroying planets. 

11/24/12 4:04 PM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And at 1,000,000 Frieza and Goku eventually destroyed a planet. It was horribly inconsistent. Power level 1,000 didn't seem that different from SSJ3 Phone Post
11/24/12 7:24 PM
paw
1176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ec -  Manga and anime, like paw said, are so much more diverse than American comics today. Loved the superhero books when I was younger, but growing up I left them by the wayside and American comics ace me very little as an adult to keep me interested. There are gems like anything BKV puts out, some Garth Ennis stuff, some indie books...

But manga/anime have something for everyone. I got married back in September, and my wife, whose only experience with anime was Avatar (more anime-ish than anime), is already hooked on shows I was watching. Now we watch Space Brothers, Sword Art Online, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood together. We just watched Summer Wars last night.

The only comic I have been able to get her to read currently is Saga. She also reads Buffy.

More to the point of the thread, DBZ was awesome when I was younger. But, like the superhero books, I left it behind. Anime gave me things to keep me interested as a teen, then as an adult. Comics didn't do that as much. Phone Post

Congrats on having a wife that is hooked on anime.  "Summer Wars" is AWESOME and may just have the most bad@ss grandma in film!  Great, great movie.        

I've been enjoying Buffy as well.                                                                 

11/24/12 7:24 PM
Zenoplata
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DBZ sucks.

But Bleach... now THAT'S an anime. Not for nothing, but a fully-juiced up Ichigo would stomp the shit out of anyone in Marvel or DC.

11/24/12 7:26 PM
Zenoplata
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh -  And at 1,000,000 Frieza and Goku eventually destroyed a planet. It was horribly inconsistent. Power level 1,000 didn't seem that different from SSJ3 Phone Post

You kidding me bro!? His hair got WAY bigger, and the yellow flame-looky things around him were SO much more intense. PLUS he had like 10 more veins popping out of his neck, it was so freaking unreal I jizzed my pants.

11/26/12 11:16 AM
Stickgrappler
1126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*rubs eyes in disbelief*
11/26/12 1:37 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stories make characters interesting not power levels.
11/26/12 5:50 PM
SamboMMA

DBZ is so overrated its ridiculous. The storyarcs are all the same. New Villain appears, Goku goes off to train [unless he happens to be dead. Which would mean he would be on King Kai's planet training] for the majority of the story to become stronger [SSJ 10000 or something] or learn a new technique, the Cannon fodder is sent in to confront the new Villain, the Cannon fodder is usually killed [looking at you Yamcha and Krillin] leaving Gohan and Piccolo [unless he happened to be killed] and Vegeta [if he's "good"] to hold off Villain until Goku decides to make himself useful, Bulma and the non-fighters start quest to find the Dragon Balls, Goku finally gets off his ass, shows off his new SSJ form or new technique [either way it involves lots of screaming like he's fucking constipated] Blows the Villain away [and half the Planet with him] Villain either dies or has a change of heart [like Piccolo, Vegeta and Buu]the Cannon Fodder is wished back to life by the Dragon Balls, everybody sucks Goku's dick like he's the greatest thing ever. The end, wash,rinse,repeat next story arc.
11/26/12 6:19 PM
killacox

SamboMMA - DBZ is so overrated its ridiculous. The storyarcs are all the same. New Villain appears, Goku goes off to train [unless he happens to be dead. Which would mean he would be on King Kai's planet training] for the majority of the story to become stronger [SSJ 10000 or something] or learn a new technique, the Cannon fodder is sent in to confront the new Villain, the Cannon fodder is usually killed [looking at you Yamcha and Krillin] leaving Gohan and Piccolo [unless he happened to be killed] and Vegeta [if he's "good"] to hold off Villain until Goku decides to make himself useful, Bulma and the non-fighters start quest to find the Dragon Balls, Goku finally gets off his ass, shows off his new SSJ form or new technique [either way it involves lots of screaming like he's fucking constipated] Blows the Villain away [and half the Planet with him] Villain either dies or has a change of heart [like Piccolo, Vegeta and Buu]the Cannon Fodder is wished back to life by the Dragon Balls, everybody sucks Goku's dick like he's the greatest thing ever. The end, wash,rinse,repeat next story arc.

so dbz has character development?
11/26/12 6:46 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SamboMMA that about sums it up

11/26/12 6:46 PM
CharlesLewis

SamboMMA that about sums it up

11/26/12 7:18 PM
Alger Hiss
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha, that's about it/.
11/26/12 7:56 PM
supersaiyan

SamboMMA - DBZ is so overrated its ridiculous. The storyarcs are all the same. New Villain appears, Goku goes off to train [unless he happens to be dead. Which would mean he would be on King Kai's planet training] for the majority of the story to become stronger [SSJ 10000 or something] or learn a new technique, the Cannon fodder is sent in to confront the new Villain, the Cannon fodder is usually killed [looking at you Yamcha and Krillin] leaving Gohan and Piccolo [unless he happened to be killed] and Vegeta [if he's "good"] to hold off Villain until Goku decides to make himself useful, Bulma and the non-fighters start quest to find the Dragon Balls, Goku finally gets off his ass, shows off his new SSJ form or new technique [either way it involves lots of screaming like he's fucking constipated] Blows the Villain away [and half the Planet with him] Villain either dies or has a change of heart [like Piccolo, Vegeta and Buu]the Cannon Fodder is wished back to life by the Dragon Balls, everybody sucks Goku's dick like he's the greatest thing ever. The end, wash,rinse,repeat next story arc.

pretty much sounds likethe same 10+ versions of Superman and the ridiculous story lines with Batman beating Superman yet goes toe to toe with Doomsday but then loses to Flash but then is voted to OWN Hulk yet get tossled by Brainiac...

wash rinse repeat...

neither is more slap sticky than the other...its entertainment and creative storytelling for DC universe and DBZ universe

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.