UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coach: Condit did as much damage from bottom

11/22/12 6:17 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Were you impressed with Carlos' warrior spirit during the fight? I think a lot of guys would be pretty discouraged getting taken down and controlled like that pretty much ad nauseum.

Mike Winkeljohn: Well you know what? I was definitely impressed with his warrior spirit but I look back at the fight and I know we were losing the fight because Georges was on top, but honestly, look at Georges' face after. Really, we probably did as much damage if not more from the bottom as Georges did from the top. He was on top controlling and imposing his will. He got the takedown points. In the stand-up, of course, we hurt him more. There's no doubt Carlos was a great warrior and he was in the game.

I'll tell you what. If we would have had a round or more of that, that would have taken its toll on Georges because we weren't going anywhere.

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Yeah, I noticed in the fifth round Carlos stuffed at least one takedown. It seemed the tide was starting to turn a little bit. So that was something you saw too?

Mike Winkeljohn: After the fourth round, I told him he had to knock him out, that he had to go out there and do it. He said, "Yes sir." I kind of had goose bumps because I really felt Carlos was gonna do what he nearly did do, that it was gonna work for us. After he got extension on that first single leg takedown attempt, I think it was the first one of the fifth round, I felt good, like "Here we go," but again, Georges is the best at what he does. That's why he's Georges St. Pierre.

read entire interview...

11/22/12 6:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, Carlos did extremely well. I'm sure Georges would be the first to admit that. He did a lot better than Nick would.
11/22/12 7:08 AM
MAG

stonepony - Yeah, Carlos did extremely well. I'm sure Georges would be the first to admit that. He did a lot better than Nick would.

gsp has admitted it - he said condit and fitch were his two toughest fights.
11/22/12 7:20 AM
SonnendbySilva
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MAG -
stonepony - Yeah, Carlos did extremely well. I'm sure Georges would be the first to admit that. He did a lot better than Nick would.

I can see why they were tough fights but surely his losses were tougher? Or was it just cos he made a mistake and got finished? Phone Post
11/22/12 7:33 AM
Washed Up

Edited: 11/22/12 7:34 AM
which rounds is he referring to?

p.s stfu Mike...
11/22/12 7:39 AM
Zaph
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SonnendbySilva - 
MAG -

I can see why they were tough fights but surely his losses were tougher? Or was it just cos he made a mistake and got finished? Phone Post

I think it is indeed because his losses both came from mistakes he made in fights that weren't particularly long or difficult when compared to this last one.

11/22/12 8:28 AM
Joker10
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's right about Carlos being a warrior but using the damage on gsp's face as a sign of winning is incorrect because we can see that gsp marks up pretty easily.

seriously winklejohn annoys me at times...even in other fight lead ins.
11/22/12 8:54 AM
Mdson
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was super impressed by Condit, but the damage he did to GSP's face was from the stand-up exchanges. Georges did way more damage on the ground, than Carlos did.
11/22/12 8:57 AM
FreakDaddy
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/22/12 8:58 AM
11/22/12 9:01 AM
Ansari
408 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I imagine Winkeljohn knows the value of getting your body behind your punches.

Punching from the top > Punching from your back

11/22/12 9:07 AM
MostLegit
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Carlos did much damage from the bottom. He certainly did well, but it's hard to give him credit for more than 1 minute of real damage. Phone Post
11/22/12 9:11 AM
MartinLav

I don't think he did any damage from the bottom. The dammage was done from the kick and top position ground and pound of Carlos. He nearly finished him there...

Other then that it was pretty loopsided.
11/22/12 9:52 AM
SignsOfChaos
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he's making a bit much of the 5th round. GSP clearly went cruise control at the start as he knew the fight was his and basically avoided putting himself in a dangerous area as he knew Condit would be swinging for the fences.....but GSP still planted him on his back and controlled him handily.

But Condit did quite well IMO and has nothing to be ashamed of. He fought a legend and managed to hurt him......something very few can say they accomplished vs GSP Phone Post
11/22/12 10:22 AM
dogfb
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carlos only got the better of GSP standing in one moment of the fight (3rd round kick.)

Other than that I thought GSP controlled the standup too. The fight wasn't really that close.

11/22/12 10:52 AM
Avenged MOFO

Condit looked pretty beat up as well. I thought GSP dominated the standup outside of the one kick that landed. Phone Post
11/22/12 11:03 AM
56sav

He seems a bit delusional. Carlos lost the fight by as much as 50-45, but if a 6TH round magically transpired then GSP was toast! LOL.

GSP was coming off a major surgery & an 18 month layoff and still did a strong 5 rounds with a guy who had nearly a full year to train solely for him.

Good for him for trying to stick up for his guy but in reality the fight wasn't the close.
anunaki
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like almost sour grapes to me. Condit moves to the back of the line now.

He has forever to train his wrestling and avoid the takedown. If bj beats rory id love to see him fight condit Phone Post
MagSlim

fapout - 
MartinLav - I don't think he did any damage from the bottom. The dammage was done from the kick and top position ground and pound of Carlos. He nearly finished him there...

Other then that it was pretty loopsided.

agreed.

This. he dropped him and beat the shit out of him for 2 min. that may have been a factor in the way Georges looked post fight. did he forget the part where Carlos was on top? And I don't mean to take credit from Carlos, dropping Georges and GnP'ing him is quite an accomplishment for anyone.
11/22/12 11:06 AM
inf0
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carlos got rolled.

He would have been better off if he had kept fighting. As it is, he took almost a year off... lol whatever.. great plan

11/22/12 11:09 AM
SinCityHustler

What mistake did GSP make vs Serra?  That was by far his toughest fight.  Lets say he hadn' tsurrendered, how do you thin kthat fight turns out?  No contest, Matt Serra was by far his toughest.  I thought Condit pushed him pretty good too but obviously no where as near as Serra who made GSP quit.  

11/22/12 11:11 AM
Porkchop

Too bad this isnt the ultimate damage causing championships. Also, if damage is the most important thing, how much does blood count for? Carlos was a bloody mess from the last minute of the first round till the end of the fight.

Carlos fought a great fight but Georges is undoubtedly the better fighter.
11/22/12 11:29 AM
Sprawl'n'Stall
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carlos didn't do much damage besides that kick. He got beat. BUT he was always in it, always VERY dangerous with his sub game. He showed heart and amazing skill from the bottom to both limit the damage he took and threaten with sub attempts. But inflict damage? Heu, nope. Not much.

11/22/12 11:37 AM
crazyea
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I came here to say what everyone else is saying. 

It was a good fight. Carlos looked liked he belonged in there. But GSP didnt just lnp. He was very active all around and definately did more than just lay on top.

11/22/12 11:40 AM
Bill Pharoni
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO not quite as close as he's making it out to be.
Carlos was able to defend well but other than the big kick and one sharp elbow he landed very little. He seems to be scared to commit to most of his standing strikes.
11/22/12 11:42 AM
ortman166

I don't understand how condit did so well? Besides that kick wich was awesome, it was pretty much all gsp. He put Carlos on his back and kept him there whenever he wanted to. And gsp deffinately did more damage from the top. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.