UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

11/22/12 3:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you remember my other thread on whether or not the guitar I wanted was a good deal or not, I decided to get it.  Its a jimmy vaughan strat. 

Ive never played before and its damn hard, but I love

Here are some pics of the guitar $500 and the amp I bought for it.

dont know why the pictures turned crappy

11/22/12 3:14 PM
viorage
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anytips on where I should start, websites youtube vids etc.. I would really appreciate it.  like I said I have zero experience and need to learn the basics.  Thanks guys

11/22/12 3:16 PM
viorage

I cant even figure out how to get the amp to play, no sound comes out, time to read the manual.  I was hoping it was just a plug and play type deal

11/22/12 3:39 PM
viorage

no help

11/22/12 3:42 PM
Retired Douchebag
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

I cant even figure out how to get the amp to play, no sound comes out, time to read the manual.  I was hoping it was just a plug and play type deal

I have the same amp. You need to make sure it's on the correct channel and turn the volume up. Otherwise, make sure the volume knob on the guitar is set to + and not 0. My first guitar was a mexican strat. I now have a Steve Vai Jem and a Gibson Les Paul anniversary hanging on the wall

11/22/12 3:53 PM
viorage

Retired Douchebag - 
viorage - 

I have the same amp. You need to make sure it's on the correct channel and turn the volume up. Otherwise, make sure the volume knob on the guitar is set to + and not 0. My first guitar was a mexican strat. I now have a Steve Vai Jem and a Gibson Les Paul anniversary hanging on the wall

thanks I got her working now.  found some excerises on youtube.  I need to strengthen my hand its kinda cramping up.

11/22/12 4:27 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What kinda music ya like to play/listen to?
Hand cramping sux. Lol I've been playing for a long time and if I take a month off, I try to play some faster stuff and my hand just slows and slows... So that will come with time. Phone Post
11/22/12 4:55 PM
ribz
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats!  You have a nice set up now that you will enjoy forever. 

Start by learning the open major chords.  G, C, D, A, E.  Go online and find the tab to play these chords, and print them out.  Practice switching between them until you can do it smoothly.

You need to know the pentatonic  scale.  This is the most general and often used scale in rock and blues.  It's a good idea to learn it first.  Look up a tab online and print it out for yourself. 

Here is a vid that demonstrates it.

Keep practicing it, until you can play it smoothly.

Have fun, and try to practice a little every day, even if it is for 5 minutes!

11/22/12 5:11 PM
BangersandSmash
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustinGuitar.com Phone Post
11/22/12 5:11 PM
RedEye0327
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Martyzsongs is pretty good. Phone Post
11/22/12 5:47 PM
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scale wizard app
11/22/12 5:51 PM
Passive Jay
2049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go buy rocksmith for the ps3/xbox/PC

11/22/12 5:54 PM
pickledsoylentgreen80cent
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Vaughan has his own guitar? Hmmm. Phone Post
11/22/12 5:55 PM
Mortal
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn the basic chords and practice switching back and forth. A good one to start with is switching from D to A. Find chord diagrams.
11/22/12 6:41 PM
viorage

MrFluffyHippo -  What kinda music ya like to play/listen to?
Hand cramping sux. Lol I've been playing for a long time and if I take a month off, I try to play some faster stuff and my hand just slows and slows... So that will come with time. Phone Post

I wanna play the blues

11/22/12 6:46 PM
Mortal
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
MrFluffyHippo -  What kinda music ya like to play/listen to?

I wanna play the blues

The first scale most guitar players start with is the blues scale.

G-B flat-C-D flat-D-F-G
11/22/12 6:52 PM
Triangle Smoke
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$500?? I remember reading your thred and thinking "it's probably a shitty combo"

You did well for 5 bills man, real well. Phone Post
11/22/12 7:27 PM
johnonguitar7

Dude go to www.justinguitar.com

Hang out there for a while. It's all you need to start! Phone Post
11/22/12 7:43 PM
sewich
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drum machine, drum machine, drum machine

Korg PX5D is a god send for the bedroom rock star. Phone Post
11/22/12 7:46 PM
TheHaunted2

Shoulda bought an ibanez Phone Post
11/22/12 8:34 PM
viorage

TheHaunted2 - Shoulda bought an ibanez Phone Post
This just came up from a co worker I wasn't looking for a guitar. I'll buy a better one when I can actually play. I've wanted this my entire life now I have to learn. Just love blues guitar Phone Post
11/22/12 8:36 PM
angryinch

Nice guitar for that price!

11/22/12 8:36 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Get a teacher. You won't regret it. Youtube videos and whatever are good as a reference or supplement and Rocksmith might make a game out of practice but don't compare to having someone give you guidance, you can ask questions to, will identify bad habits you're developing, etc.

11/22/12 8:37 PM
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/22/12 8:38 PM

Got mine recently.. loving it! 

Now Ibanez has a little buddy!

11/22/12 8:38 PM
angryinch

viorage - 
TheHaunted2 - Shoulda bought an ibanez Phone Post
This just came up from a co worker I wasn't looking for a guitar. I'll buy a better one when I can actually play. I've wanted this my entire life now I have to learn. Just love blues guitar Phone Post

better one?  The JV strat is not a crappy guitar at all.  If the bug catches you you will end up wanting to buy more guitars but not because the one you have isn't good enough. 

What you will want to upgrade eventually is the amp. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.