UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

11/25/12 9:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DL Steve Vai 30 hour work out (PDF). I put the link up already. Lots of great (simple and not so simple) exercises there.
11/25/12 9:44 PM
viorage
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i said fuck it and im trying that blues thing.

question.

is that the first three frets?

and the very top line here be the 4th fret?

11/25/12 9:46 PM
viorage
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ - DL Steve Vai 30 hour work out (PDF). I put the link up already. Lots of great (simple and not so simple) exercises there.

downloading now only two seeders

11/25/12 9:47 PM
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

question.

Top diagram is first 3 frets

Next on the top line is third fret, meaning you those notes are on 4th fret.
11/25/12 9:48 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1634 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -

question.

Correct Phone Post
11/25/12 9:53 PM
viorage

okay got it i guess it sounds a little bluesish, I was just learning E when me finger started bleeded so that helped out.  Im going to just go through the chords still,  I think that will help out a lot

11/25/12 10:33 PM
Ryan Wood
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have a metronome, while you wait for the skin on your fingers to heal you can practice your picking and strumming. Do stuff like fast 8th note down strokes, alternate picking at different tempos, etc. It's good practice and will help develop one of the most important attributes a musician can have: Good timing!
11/25/12 11:59 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - If you have a metronome, while you wait for the skin on your fingers to heal you can practice your picking and strumming. Do stuff like fast 8th note down strokes, alternate picking at different tempos, etc. It's good practice and will help develop one of the most important attributes a musician can have: Good timing!
I will have to look into that, I kinda get what you're saying but I need to see what to do Phone Post
11/26/12 12:37 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

question.

You can also finger the E7 as 020100, which only uses two fingers and has a different sound on account of the D being an octave higher. I voice it this way more often.

You can play the B7 as X21202, it isn't a movable shape but it is convenient if you're playing open chords. This shape is what Carl Perkins uses to play the intro to Folsom Prison Blues.
11/26/12 12:41 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

viorage -  I got a question fellas. My fingertips are so soft right now that I'm having problems running into the other strings
I have my thumb positioned behind my middle finger and my palm is not touching the guitar, fingers very circular.

Is this because of my soft fingertips, since I have to push so hard to get the string to the fret? Phone Post

You want a light touch, you're don't need to strangle it.

Experiment, fret a single note and see just how little pressure you need for it to ring clear.

But you will callous up pretty quickly.
11/26/12 8:31 AM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

okay got it i guess it sounds a little bluesish, I was just learning E when me finger started bleeded so that helped out.  Im going to just go through the chords still,  I think that will help out a lot

7 chords and 9 chords will give you more of a blues sound

They are just a little more complicated to play than the basic chords.

Learn something like Take it Easy.

It's not too hard to play but has several of the base chords in it so it's a good practice song when learning, and switching from chord to chord.

It's the first song I learned how to play way back when.
11/26/12 9:13 AM
viorage

Cool thanks fellas Phone Post
11/26/12 10:02 PM
BenBJJ

Learn 'Smoke on the Water'. It was the first song written on guitar and as such, all guitar music is based around its main riff.
11/26/12 11:05 PM
jkennedy
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Callouses form slowly and hurt like hell the good news is ones you've formed them they come back pretty quick.

E7-A x4
E7-B7-A-E7

Basic blues and a ton of common songs (Folsom Prison Blues for starters). As mentioned work on your strum patterns and learn how to palm mute with you strum hand. It'll come, enjoy. Phone Post
11/27/12 12:17 AM
viorage

jkennedy -  Callouses form slowly and hurt like hell the good news is ones you've formed them they come back pretty quick.

E7-A x4
E7-B7-A-E7

Basic blues and a ton of common songs (Folsom Prison Blues for starters). As mentioned work on your strum patterns and learn how to palm mute with you strum hand. It'll come, enjoy. Phone Post

where can I learn to palm mute  with my strum hand?  I have no idea what that is.  And for strum patters do the strum the chords ive learned?

11/27/12 12:18 AM
viorage

BenBJJ - Learn 'Smoke on the Water'. It was the first song written on guitar and as such, all guitar music is based around its main riff.

smoke on the water by who?  Im going to see if they have it on guitar pro 6 but I have 22000 songs I downloaded for it.

11/27/12 12:19 AM
viorage

never mind I found a page that shows you how to play it http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=smoke+on+the+water+guitar+lesson&oq=smoke+on+the+water&gs_l=youtube.3.2.0l10.848.3391.0.10044.18.9.0.9.9.0.136.793.7j2.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.tveBkAw1wwI

11/27/12 12:28 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

viorage - 
jkennedy -  Callouses form slowly and hurt like hell the good news is ones you've formed them they come back pretty quick.

E7-A x4
E7-B7-A-E7

where can I learn to palm mute  with my strum hand?  I have no idea what that is.  And for strum patters do the strum the chords ive learned?

There's heaps of youtube videos.

Concentrate on positioning your hand close to the bridge and play with orientating your pick to get more attack on the strings.
11/27/12 12:31 AM
palmmute
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't get a chance to read the thread but I will catch up later.. but be sure you're always in tune. Playing in tune versus not will make a huge difference and you'll enjoy the sound more. Phone Post
11/27/12 12:41 AM
BenBJJ

If I ask 'How do I make make my fingers shred?' will 'Shreddingfingers' post?
11/27/12 8:22 AM
Stache
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
11/27/12 9:07 AM
viorage

BenBJJ - If I ask 'How do I make make my fingers shred?' will 'Shreddingfingers' post?
Of course Phone Post
11/27/12 9:54 PM
viorage

I can play that smoke on the water song pretty good now fellas, thanks for sending me that way.  it breaks up the monotony of learning chords and switching them, etc....

11/28/12 12:05 AM
BenBJJ

viorage - 

I can play that smoke on the water song pretty good now fellas, thanks for sending me that way.  it breaks up the monotony of learning chords and switching them, etc....

You now know 85% of all guitar music.
11/28/12 2:48 PM
TheHaunted2

how does a mudnamer like me upload a pic for a blue to embed??

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.