UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

11/22/12 8:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
TheHaunted2 - Shoulda bought an ibanez Phone Post
This just came up from a co worker I wasn't looking for a guitar. I'll buy a better one when I can actually play. I've wanted this my entire life now I have to learn. Just love blues guitar Phone Post

You dont want Ibanez for blues. He made a good buy there.
11/22/12 8:42 PM
viorage
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome - Get a teacher. You won't regret it. Youtube videos and whatever are good as a reference or supplement and Rocksmith might make a game out of practice but don't compare to having someone give you guidance, you can ask questions to, will identify bad habits you're developing, etc.

I got one. Haven't went yet ill call him next week and set something up. I kinda wanted to build up my hand strength first Phone Post
11/22/12 8:43 PM
pickledsoylentgreen80cent
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
This just came up from a co worker I wasn't looking for a guitar. I'll buy a better one when I can actually play. I've wanted this my entire life now I have to learn. Just love blues guitar Phone Post
If you really want it that bad, you will pick it up in no time. Congratulations on making a life changing decision! Phone Post
11/22/12 8:44 PM
viorage
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ -

Got mine recently.. loving it! 

Now Ibanez has a little buddy!

Nice man! I'm gonna vote all you guys up when I get home!!
VTFU's for everyone Phone Post
11/22/12 8:44 PM
nogidavid
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ - 

Got mine recently.. loving it! 

Now Ibanez has a little buddy!

i keep looking at the ESP KH2, super tempting....

11/22/12 8:45 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
MrFluffyHippo -  What kinda music ya like to play/listen to?
Hand cramping sux. Lol I've been playing for a long time and if I take a month off, I try to play some faster stuff and my hand just slows and slows... So that will come with time. Phone Post

I wanna play the blues

Griff Hamlin has an excellent learning blues guitar series. Phone Post
11/22/12 8:46 PM
viorage

angryinch -
viorage - 

better one?  The JV strat is not a crappy guitar at all.  If the bug catches you you will end up wanting to buy more guitars but not because the one you have isn't good enough. 

What you will want to upgrade eventually is the amp. 

Yeah I wanted to buy the best amp out there but the salesman said learn the guitar first then settle on an amp. He could of got a couple grand out of me but I took his advice Phone Post
11/22/12 8:46 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ -
viorage - 

You dont want Ibanez for blues. He made a good buy there.
This.

He made the right choice to begin with blues guitar. Phone Post
11/22/12 8:48 PM
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try to relax as much as you can. Shake your hand out if you feel any stiffness creeping in.
11/22/12 8:49 PM
viorage

pickledsoylentgreen80cent -
viorage -
If you really want it that bad, you will pick it up in no time. Congratulations on making a life changing decision! Phone Post
I've noticed a little problem with my pinky on my left hand it's curved since I broke it and I also broke that hand "boxers fracture" but I'm goin to do it. Sounds weird but the blues guitar/buddy guy saved my life years ago. Long story Phone Post
11/22/12 8:50 PM
viorage

BenBJJ - Try to relax as much as you can. Shake your hand out if you feel any stiffness creeping in.
I also read somewhere to get some playdoh and squeeze that as often as possible. I also think that being a welder will help as well Phone Post
11/22/12 8:51 PM
BenBJJ

BTW, that feeling of 'not being as good as you want to be...' that's there for life!
Chimonos Revenge

What other music do you listen to?

So rarely do I see someone else that is a blues fan first and foremost Phone Post
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something to aspire to be. http://youtu.be/CUOvHwTULy4
Chimonos Revenge

^^ other blues artists I mean Phone Post
11/22/12 8:54 PM
BenBJJ

viorage - 
BenBJJ - Try to relax as much as you can. Shake your hand out if you feel any stiffness creeping in.
I also read somewhere to get some playdoh and squeeze that as often as possible. I also think that being a welder will help as well Phone Post

Hmmm, that could help your left hand, however, you dont need to build strength really. You only have to press the string to the fretboard... you don't need strength for that! The fine muscle strength you need will come from playing.

Stretching staying relaxed and doing some warm up fingering exercises (once you improve a bit) is more important, IMO.
11/22/12 8:59 PM
jkennedy
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
Reverse grip exercises help with playing. Get a broccoli elastic and put it around the tips of your fingers. Do extension exercises, it will help with the cramping.

The other thing that will help is practice. When you first start playing you want to crush the strings into the fret board. As you play more you'll learn how to soften your touch.

Lessons are king especially if you don't have a musical background.

If you do then head to UltimateGuitar.com and start learning tabs. It is shitty tab and won't teach you theory but if you have a base it is a good place to start.

Nice guitar btw. My electric is a '55 Tele Reissue. I'm still hunting for a hot rod amp to pair it with but making due with my shitty practice amp. Phone Post
11/22/12 9:04 PM
angryinch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lessons are ok but drills and exercises are overrated.   It could be why I suck but I never did drills or took lessons.  I simply played.  I found songs I wanted to learn, found the tabs for them, and learned that way.  Little by little I learned basic theory and learned what exactly I was playing and why it sounded good.  

IMO, the best way to learn how to play and to improve is simply to play.  That said, lessons at the beginning are a good idea so you can learn proper form, how to properly hold the pick, how to properly hold your hands, etc... although there are really no hard and fast rules for that either.  Van Halen holds the pick in a pretty unorthodox manner and a lot of players use their thumb to fret notes on the low E string, which also isn't necessarily proper form.    Basically, don't be afraid to experiment on your own and come up with ways to play stuff that is feels comfortable and natural to you.   What my work for your teacher may not work for you. 

11/22/12 9:06 PM
ArmbarKing
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BangersandSmash -  JustinGuitar.com Phone Post

Fucking this.

Voted up.
11/22/12 9:07 PM
BenBJJ

Edited: 11/22/12 9:08 PM
Like Paul Gilbert says... have fun! (my guitar hero since I was 16! He has some really cool advice here.

11/22/12 9:17 PM
viorage

Chimonos Revenge - What other music do you listen to?

So rarely do I see someone else that is a blues fan first and foremost Phone Post
Other than blues I like tool, sound garden, deftones, primus, pantera, Portugal the man. I'm missing a lot but I like a lot of different genres Phone Post
11/22/12 9:20 PM
BenBJJ

Justinguitar isawesome! Wish I had that when i was 16! I just used Guitarworlds.
11/22/12 9:28 PM
sewich
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome - Get a teacher. You won't regret it. Youtube videos and whatever are good as a reference or supplement and Rocksmith might make a game out of practice but don't compare to having someone give you guidance, you can ask questions to, will identify bad habits you're developing, etc.

I never had a teacher but good advice. If you have a video game console I find rocksmith is a fun way to cool down after practice, I use it as a reward for doing the boring exercises that are my practice . The mini games are a fun way to learn the neck(Ducks is a incredible addictive and frustrating game!). Phone Post
11/22/12 9:33 PM
sewich
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ - Justinguitar isawesome! Wish I had that when i was 16! I just used Guitarworlds.
No shit, i wish i had all these outlets when i was young. I have 10 years of guitar worlds , thankfully I haven't had to move them for the past 6 years, even when I would be on my long breaks from playing I would keep renewing my subscription! Phone Post
11/22/12 9:35 PM
ArmbarKing
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
Chimonos Revenge - What other music do you listen to?

Other than blues I like tool, sound garden, deftones, primus, pantera, Portugal the man. I'm missing a lot but I like a lot of different genres Phone Post

We have very similar taste in music. Having said that, I don't get a whole lot of joy out of playing tunes by those bands. I find a lot of the songs need a full band to really come alive.

Lately I have been trying to learn a Hendrix style rhythm guitar ,and find it to be very rewarding and it sounds great on its own. When you are ready, maybe give that a try.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.