UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

1/19/13 10:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sewich
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -

Yes Im a fucking Idiot.  Im so frustrated right now. I spent all this money and the god damn shit doesn't work.  One person said my Wah is upside down.

Everything is hitting me all at once, Im hating life right now.  So please tell me what I fucked up on this stupid thing.

and yes I know it looks ghetto, but I dont give a fuck.

I can get the distortion, overdrive and tuner pedal to work fine but when I turn on the Wah and push the pedal it just amplifies the sound a little bit no matter what dial I put it on.

That wah is upside down which means you have the input/output connection wrong
Chain should be

Guitar> cable to pedal input>cable from pedal output to next pedal input> cable from last pedal output to amp.

Also looks like the wah needs to be powered unless you have a battery in there, if a pedal has no power the signal dies, there is no passivity.

If you got the money who cares what you buy, shit if I was able to afford it as a kid I would have loved to start out with the gear you did instead of the shitty Hondo strat and pos shitty sounding 50 dollar practice amp. Haters gonna hate. Most people now start our with a modeling amp that has way more effect/sound options than you do only difference is that their effects sound like digital shit where you got nice analog sound. Phone Post
1/19/13 10:32 AM
DonkeyKick215
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he has a bad case of GAS
1/19/13 11:26 AM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
Chimonos Revenge -
viorage -
Judge Mental - Viorge - stop buying shit. None of that is gonna make you play guitar better. It will all just cloud your learning.

You have a blues Jr. Add a Tube Screamer and maybe a Distortion pedal and you have everything you need.

If you need a pedal get a Vox Tonelab. Thousands of sounds and tube powered. Phone Post
I know this wont make me better it is strictly for songs. Trust me I practice with none of the effects. But I want the right sounds when learning songs, it will help out a lot Phone Post
What songs do you need all those effects for? Especially since I thought you said you wanted to play blues.

Just curious.

I've played guitar for over 20 years and you already have more pedals than I do :) Phone Post
Pantera, Metallica, tool I want to learn some floater. NIN but yea I do mostly want to play blues

Jesus guys I'm working 60-70 hours a week who the hell cares what I buy

I have socks and underwear over ten years old. All my work clothes have holes in them. I drive a piece of shit 2006 ford ranger. My point is I do t buy myself anything. I found a hobby that I really enjoy. I don't see why I'm getting so much shit from buying some stuff to play with.

Today at work it is all double time, it will pay for that entire board and pedals in a day. So really I do t get the problem. Phone Post
No that's cool.

I was just wondering about the desired sound you were going for. Phone Post
1/19/13 3:39 PM
viorage
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich -
viorage -

Yes Im a fucking Idiot.  Im so frustrated right now. I spent all this money and the god damn shit doesn't work.  One person said my Wah is upside down.

Everything is hitting me all at once, Im hating life right now.  So please tell me what I fucked up on this stupid thing.

I can get the distortion, overdrive and tuner pedal to work fine but when I turn on the Wah and push the pedal it just amplifies the sound a little bit no matter what dial I put it on.

Chain should be

Guitar> cable to pedal input>cable from pedal output to next pedal input> cable from last pedal output to amp.

Also looks like the wah needs to be powered unless you have a battery in there, if a pedal has no power the signal dies, there is no passivity.

If you got the money who cares what you buy, shit if I was able to afford it as a kid I would have loved to start out with the gear you did instead of the shitty Hondo strat and pos shitty sounding 50 dollar practice amp. Haters gonna hate. Most people now start our with a modeling amp that has way more effect/sound options than you do only difference is that their effects sound like digital shit where you got nice analog sound. Phone Post
Yeah I started thinking about the wah last night in bed and realized it was upside down. The power chord comes out the side Phone Post
1/19/13 3:40 PM
viorage
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich -
viorage -

Chain should be

Yeah I started thinking about the wah last night in bed and realized it was upside down. The power chord comes out the side Phone Post
1/19/13 3:41 PM
viorage

DonkeyKick215 - he has a bad case of GAS
Whatever fuck off Phone Post
1/19/13 3:43 PM
viorage

I do t even know what that stands for "gas" but I'm sure it has to do with somebody started out who purchases a bunch of shit. Phone Post
1/19/13 4:04 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GAS is gear acquisition syndrome...if you have GAS you are constantly looking at new gear and buying new shit. GAS can be very expensive and most people who've played a long time have some degree of it. I had a bad case last year and bought way too much stuff (I'm up to 8 electric guitars). Haven't bought anything since November and am trying to chill the fuck out now.

Another bad thing about GAS is sometimes you'll spend more time reading about gear or watching videos of gear than you spend playing. You have a great setup now, so I'd mostly focus on playing what you have. It's too early for you to get a bad case of GAS...it'll hit you eventually anyway. Phone Post
1/19/13 8:10 PM
viorage

Jacks Wasted Life - GAS is gear acquisition syndrome...if you have GAS you are constantly looking at new gear and buying new shit. GAS can be very expensive and most people who've played a long time have some degree of it. I had a bad case last year and bought way too much stuff (I'm up to 8 electric guitars). Haven't bought anything since November and am trying to chill the fuck out now.

Another bad thing about GAS is sometimes you'll spend more time reading about gear or watching videos of gear than you spend playing. You have a great setup now, so I'd mostly focus on playing what you have. It's too early for you to get a bad case of GAS...it'll hit you eventually anyway. Phone Post
I think I'm doing pretty well at mixing things up. I practice for about an hour, then ill work on a song. At night I'm reading about guitar theory. Yeah I guess I do have GAS but I just love playing. I can't think of anything else I need to buy.

But like I said I'm still on the lookout for an ibanez JEM Phone Post
1/19/13 11:12 PM
viorage

Got my pedal board all figured out! It's badass. I got all the sounds I need Phone Post
1/20/13 12:08 AM
Ray Ngai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GAS is why I have 3 OD pedals and 3 fuzz pedals. :( Phone Post
1/20/13 7:32 AM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me on Twitter

did this yesterday. Nout too technical but you may want to observe or ask questions, feel free. 

1/20/13 2:33 PM
viorage

^^^ ill definately check that out when I get to a computer

This morning I learned some scales. That was actually really fun and pretty easy.

I learned C major diatonic scale

The pentatonic scale
Major pentatonic scale
Altered minor pentatonic scale
Mixolydian scale
The blues scale

Of course I only memorized the pentatonic scale right now. But I can play the other ones if I have the tab in front of me Phone Post
1/20/13 2:36 PM
viorage

Some of the theory is kinda confusing me

It's going to take forever for me to memorize the open string names Phone Post
1/20/13 3:39 PM
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Line6 is beyond dope, good call.
1/20/13 5:09 PM
456or7strings
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
Jacks Wasted Life - GAS is gear acquisition syndrome...if you have GAS you are constantly looking at new gear and buying new shit. GAS can be very expensive and most people who've played a long time have some degree of it. I had a bad case last year and bought way too much stuff (I'm up to 8 electric guitars). Haven't bought anything since November and am trying to chill the fuck out now.

I think I'm doing pretty well at mixing things up. I practice for about an hour, then ill work on a song. At night I'm reading about guitar theory. Yeah I guess I do have GAS but I just love playing. I can't think of anything else I need to buy.

I have an Ibanez Steve Vai model Jem - what kind of Jem are you looking for? Also, to learn blues from a beginner to intermediate level, look up Griff Hamlin's Playing Through the Blues course - definitely recommend it.
1/20/13 7:32 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

viorage - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome -
viorage - 

I couldn't seem to get the Wah pedal to work no matter what I did.  Do you have to put in batteries if you run it through your board?

You are switching it on, as in pressing the foot pedal down to click the switch?
Yes I'm not that stupid dude Phone Post

I at least gave you the benefit of the doubt when it came to not having it upside down.
1/20/13 7:34 PM
viorage

456or7strings - 
viorage - 

I have an Ibanez Steve Vai model Jem - what kind of Jem are you looking for? Also, to learn blues from a beginner to intermediate level, look up Griff Hamlin's Playing Through the Blues course - definitely recommend it.

the same as yours Steve Vai Jem Model.  I found one for $800 but it says JR.  My girlfriend was going to get it for me for my Bday but I dont know what the JR is for.

check it out for me heres the link http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/msg/3540338753.html

Ill definatly check out That course you recommended Im looking it up now.  I have a bunch of theory books im reading now.  And just like when I was learning to weld I want as many persepectives, courses and recommendations as I kind and choose what methods I like the best.

1/20/13 7:37 PM
viorage

Invisible Lats Syndrome - 
viorage - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome -
viorage - 

I couldn't seem to get the Wah pedal to work no matter what I did.  Do you have to put in batteries if you run it through your board?

You are switching it on, as in pressing the foot pedal down to click the switch?
Yes I'm not that stupid dude Phone Post

I at least gave you the benefit of the doubt when it came to not having it upside down.

ah whatever, like you were born  knowing everything about guitars and accessories

1/20/13 7:38 PM
viorage

MentaL - 

did this yesterday. Nout too technical but you may want to observe or ask questions, feel free. 

shit my adobe keeps crashing when I try to play that is it on youtube?  Ill try to update adobe and see if that helps.

1/20/13 7:40 PM
viorage

I was also wondering how the specs on my strat are.  Im not going to change anything but would you recommend changing the pickups, bridge, etc...

• Body: Alder
  • Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Soft "V" Shape
  • Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” Radius (241mm)
  • Scale Length: 25.5in (648 mm)
  • No. of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo Frets
  • 1.650 (42 mm) at the nut
  • Machine Heads: Fender/Gotoh Vintage Style Tuning Machines
  • Pickups: 2 Tex-Mex Calibrated, Overwound, Single-Coil Strat Pickups (Neck and Middle), 1 Tex-Mex “Hot Bridge” Single-Coil Strat Pickup (Bridge)
  • Pickup Switch: 5-position blade
  • Controls: Master Volume, Tone (Neck), Tone (Bridge)
  • Pickguard: 1-Ply White
  • Bridge: American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
  • Strings: Fender Super 250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042)

The Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster is one of the Fender Artists Series guitars. It was designed by Vaughan himself and made at the Ensenada plant in Mexico using American-made electronics.

Vaughan required a Stratocaster that was simple yet had more powerful pickups and a ‘V’-shaped maple neck. The wiring on this guitar is a little different than others as well.

The body of the guitar is made of Alder and comes in 2-Color sunburst, Olympic White, Black, and Candy Apple Red colors with a Polyester finish. It has a single-ply white pickguard with 8 screw-holes. The bridge is an American Vintage synchronized tremolo.

The 25.5 inch scale length neck is made of a single piece of maple and has a soft ‘V’ shape profile with a satin polyurethane finish. The radius of the neck is 9.5 inches with 21 medium jumbo frets. The nut width is standard at 1.650 inches (42 mm) while the headstock has Jimmie’s signature on its backside. The machine heads are Fender/Gotoh vintage tuners.

The pickups used for the neck and middle pickups are Tex-Mex overwound vintage types which use Alnico 5 magnets that produce a stronger output than those in other pickups. Polysol wire is used for the windings. The middle pickup is reverse-wound causing hum cancellation when engaged in pickup selector positions 2 and 4. The bridge pickup is a Tex-Mex hot bridge pickup which is a part of the Tex-Mex pickup set. Another unique feature is the lack of a tone control on the middle pickup. Instead, the first tone knob is used for the neck pickup and the second for the bridge. The 5-way pickup selector is wired normally, except for the above-mentioned hum-cancelling effect.

Earlier model had a poplar body. Colors were vintage white, candy apple red, sonic blue, and sunburst. These Tex Mex models came with a jalepeno pepper decal on the pick guard. One way to differentiate the initial Tex Mex from the later Jimmie Vaughan is the inclusion of an 11-hole two ply black and white pick guard.

1/20/13 7:48 PM
pumaownsmc

OP with all those guitars and pedal, where is at least 1 video demonstrating your noob level?

2/10
1/20/13 9:12 PM
456or7strings
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
456or7strings - 
viorage - 

the same as yours Steve Vai Jem Model.  I found one for $800 but it says JR.  My girlfriend was going to get it for me for my Bday but I dont know what the JR is for.

check it out for me heres the link http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/msg/3540338753.html

Ill definatly check out That course you recommended Im looking it up now.  I have a bunch of theory books im reading now.  And just like when I was learning to weld I want as many persepectives, courses and recommendations as I kind and choose what methods I like the best.

Check this link out - it looks like that price is a bit high for that model. I have the made in Japan model, which is the "real" Vai model.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/jem_jr/index.html

Also, to make theory easier to understand on guitar, you can check out the Guitar Grimoire by "Adam Kadmon".

If you want to check out Buckethead's guitar teacher, his name is Pebber Brown (pebberbrown on YouTube) - he doesn't mince any words about practice!
1/20/13 9:18 PM
456or7strings

viorage - 

I was also wondering how the specs on my strat are.  Im not going to change anything but would you recommend changing the pickups, bridge, etc...

• Body: Alder
  • Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Soft "V" Shape
  • Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” Radius (241mm)
  • Scale Length: 25.5in (648 mm)
  • No. of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo Frets
  • 1.650 (42 mm) at the nut
  • Machine Heads: Fender/Gotoh Vintage Style Tuning Machines
  • Pickups: 2 Tex-Mex Calibrated, Overwound, Single-Coil Strat Pickups (Neck and Middle), 1 Tex-Mex “Hot Bridge” Single-Coil Strat Pickup (Bridge)
  • Pickup Switch: 5-position blade
  • Controls: Master Volume, Tone (Neck), Tone (Bridge)
  • Pickguard: 1-Ply White
  • Bridge: American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
  • Strings: Fender Super 250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042)

The Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster is one of the Fender Artists Series guitars. It was designed by Vaughan himself and made at the Ensenada plant in Mexico using American-made electronics.

Vaughan required a Stratocaster that was simple yet had more powerful pickups and a ‘V’-shaped maple neck. The wiring on this guitar is a little different than others as well.

The body of the guitar is made of Alder and comes in 2-Color sunburst, Olympic White, Black, and Candy Apple Red colors with a Polyester finish. It has a single-ply white pickguard with 8 screw-holes. The bridge is an American Vintage synchronized tremolo.

The 25.5 inch scale length neck is made of a single piece of maple and has a soft ‘V’ shape profile with a satin polyurethane finish. The radius of the neck is 9.5 inches with 21 medium jumbo frets. The nut width is standard at 1.650 inches (42 mm) while the headstock has Jimmie’s signature on its backside. The machine heads are Fender/Gotoh vintage tuners.

The pickups used for the neck and middle pickups are Tex-Mex overwound vintage types which use Alnico 5 magnets that produce a stronger output than those in other pickups. Polysol wire is used for the windings. The middle pickup is reverse-wound causing hum cancellation when engaged in pickup selector positions 2 and 4. The bridge pickup is a Tex-Mex hot bridge pickup which is a part of the Tex-Mex pickup set. Another unique feature is the lack of a tone control on the middle pickup. Instead, the first tone knob is used for the neck pickup and the second for the bridge. The 5-way pickup selector is wired normally, except for the above-mentioned hum-cancelling effect.

Earlier model had a poplar body. Colors were vintage white, candy apple red, sonic blue, and sunburst. These Tex Mex models came with a jalepeno pepper decal on the pick guard. One way to differentiate the initial Tex Mex from the later Jimmie Vaughan is the inclusion of an 11-hole two ply black and white pick guard.

This is probably a good setup for playing blues. If you are looking for a Jem, you will definitely notice a difference in the necks. The Jem neck is thinner and the curvature of the fretboard is alot flatter, which makes it easier for bending, and for most people, makes it easier to play faster, as well. The radius of the fretboard on the Strat has more of a curvature and makes it easier for most people to play chords.

I believe the Jem has a 16 or 17" radius vs. the 9.5" of the Strat.
1/20/13 9:34 PM
viorage

pumaownsmc - OP with all those guitars and pedal, where is at least 1 video demonstrating your noob level?

2/10
Oh so clever you are Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.