UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/27/13 9:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Paperboy2000
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DO NOT put a floyd rose on your strat or you will be very unhappy, they are a pain in the ass especially for a beginner. A little rust is not a big deal and it's only maybe $10-$15 to ultimately replace your strat bridge.

Also, regarding the fret buzz - truss rod adjustment is actually very easy and you should just search youtube for a video or two to explain and then do it yourself. It is true that you can screw up the guitar, but that's why you will watch the video(s) first.
1/27/13 9:37 AM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude you should just play. Stop buying shit.
1/27/13 11:34 AM
viorage
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paperboy2000 - DO NOT put a floyd rose on your strat or you will be very unhappy, they are a pain in the ass especially for a beginner. A little rust is not a big deal and it's only maybe $10-$15 to ultimately replace your strat bridge.

Also, regarding the fret buzz - truss rod adjustment is actually very easy and you should just search youtube for a video or two to explain and then do it yourself. It is true that you can screw up the guitar, but that's why you will watch the video(s) first.

only $10-$15 bucks to replace my strat bridge!!  Nice I thought I would have to buy a new one, thanks dude.

1/27/13 11:37 AM
viorage
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/27/13 11:42 AM
raleigh - Dude you should just play. Stop buying shit.

replacing fucked up parts isn't really buying shit if you ask me.  I thought I would have to replace the entire bridge but if I can just fix it for under $20 bucks Im there.

I also need to put on new strings can I buy those?  Is that okay with you?

1/27/13 12:09 PM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe you can pay the guy at gc to restring your guitar.
1/27/13 1:03 PM
viorage

raleigh - Maybe you can pay the guy at gc to restring your guitar.

nah Im going to try doing that myself.  Well unless after I watch the vids on messing with my neck and decide I dont want to try it.

1/27/13 1:11 PM
viorage

good video, Im going to give it a try.

1/27/13 1:22 PM
Paperboy2000
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Be conservative when you do it. You probably just need to bow your neck a tiny bit, maybe 120 degree turn max, start with like 30-45.
1/27/13 1:27 PM
viorage

I kept doing little turns, now it seems worse.  Do I need to tune it each time I turn?  Should I loosen it back up.

When I hold the first and last fret there is just a tiny gap on the 12th fret just like the vid said.  but like i said its worse

1/27/13 1:30 PM
viorage

ok I tuned it same thing problem.  Im going to loosen it a bit I guess

1/27/13 1:47 PM
viorage

12th fret with fret 1 and 21 (last fret) held down.  does that look too close now?

1/27/13 1:47 PM
viorage

I know Ill go look at my les paul and match that distance.

1/27/13 1:48 PM
Paperboy2000

LOL dude, I thing you are going in the wrong direction? You want to loosen. You want MORE bow to reduce buzz, i.e. more curvature so it should sag in the middle of the neck, not stick out.
1/27/13 1:51 PM
Paperboy2000

I would not worry so much about that measurement. Once in a while you can get it set up properly and they will take care of that. You just need a very minor adjustment. When the buzz goes away you are done, and the neck may need several hours to fully adjust to the change, so be conservative.

You probably just need to turn back to where you were, then go a little in the opposite direction. Did you watch the video?
1/27/13 1:52 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - LOL dude, I thing you are going in the wrong direction? You want to loosen. You want MORE bow to reduce buzz, i.e. more curvature so it should sag in the middle of the neck, not stick out.

oh I watch that video I posted and he said you want the 12th fret to be about 1mm off the fret when fret 1 and 21 are pushed down.  Ill loosen it slowly and see if the buzz reduces as Im doing that.

1/27/13 1:59 PM
viorage

nice got it thanks dude!

1/27/13 2:01 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - I would not worry so much about that measurement. Once in a while you can get it set up properly and they will take care of that. You just need a very minor adjustment. When the buzz goes away you are done, and the neck may need several hours to fully adjust to the change, so be conservative.

You probably just need to turn back to where you were, then go a little in the opposite direction. Did you watch the video?

yeah I watched aha.  I was more worried about the measurement he said then actually listening to the guitar.  but that was really easy and its sounding really good now.  Ill give it a few hours and then recheck it and then tune her up.

Again thank you very much

1/27/13 2:04 PM
Paperboy2000

Have fun bro! I was waiting to make sure you didn't break it in two. Now I'm gonna plug in myself.
1/27/13 2:15 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - Have fun bro! I was waiting to make sure you didn't break it in two. Now I'm gonna plug in myself.

sounds like something I would do.  At work Im known for tightening shit till it brakes, especially cast iron, but I was very gentle with this.

and fuck only in Washington can your guitar rust while being stored inside.

1/27/13 2:16 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - Have fun bro! I was waiting to make sure you didn't break it in two. Now I'm gonna plug in myself.

what do you like to play?  What kind of set up do you have?

1/27/13 8:31 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can, try out some guitars with floating bridges before pulling the trigger on popping one into your current axe. Like nogidavid said it involves some permanent mods to the guitar.

Fender does sell some "Super Strats" which are hot rodded right out of the box. See if you can find one in a music store and give it a try. A floating bridge can be fun, but it can also be a headache at times.
1/27/13 8:36 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - If you can, try out some guitars with floating bridges before pulling the trigger on popping one into your current axe. Like nogidavid said it involves some permanent mods to the guitar.

Fender does sell some "Super Strats" which are hot rodded right out of the box. See if you can find one in a music store and give it a try. A floating bridge can be fun, but it can also be a headache at times.
I think I can just replace the rusted parts for cheap. Phone Post
1/27/13 8:37 PM
viorage

nogidavid -

going back, a floyd rose type bridge would not fit in your strat without routing out a big cavity for it to sit in

I just thought it was kinda cool to be able to lock your guitar in tune Phone Post
1/27/13 8:38 PM
viorage

I would actually like to change the bridge just because I want a nice chrome one. I don't like the dull steel looking one I have. But then again it works Phone Post
1/27/13 9:32 PM
Paperboy2000

viorage - 

what do you like to play?  What kind of set up do you have?

This thread will never end!

My situation is like yours plus about 8 years - got into it as an adult and could afford to buy what I want so some people thought I was a bit crazy too. I mostly bought (and sold) guitars but also some amps too.

I play mostly a Musicman Axis Super Sport through THD Flexi 50 into Mesa 4x12. It is way more than I need but I love playing it and it sounds like hot sex, and I can't really imagine wanting to change up. I don't use much in the way of pedals. I play different stuff, mostly classic rock type I guess, I like surf too. Recently playing a lot of Van Halen.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.