UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

1/26/13 3:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Wood - I buy it every month, it's $9.99 here in Canada so likely a bit cheaper in the USA. Definitely much cheaper if you get a subscription, which I really should do... lol I would have saved a lot of money over the years.

I've been buying it since early 2004 and also haven't thrown away a single issue. Fantastic magazine.
Ill look into that thanks Phone Post
1/26/13 3:34 PM
sewich
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the states its 8 bucks a month off the shelf or 15 bucks for a year and 25 for 2 years subscription. Kind of a no brainer to get the subscription. I renew every 2 years . Phone Post
1/26/13 3:40 PM
sewich
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a example of what you get per issue
This month
2 jazz styled lessons
1 metal rhythm lesson
2 blues styled lessons
1 acoustic lesson focusing on non standard tunings(open G, open E, using capos)
4 songs
1979-smashing pumpkins
Behind Blue eyes-The Who
Piss-pantera
Home-Phillip Phillips

You get a nice variety of music styles each month
Not to mention all the interviews and gear reviews. Phone Post
1/26/13 8:11 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been trying to leave you guys alone with questions. 

I do however have a problem hopefully you guys can fix.

Strings A & E (5 & 6),  When I pluck them I get some type of rattling sound unless I pluck them really lightly.  It happens no matter how close I am to the Fret or how hard I push.  A isn't so bad but E sound hideous with that vibrating sound.  Im thinking this is a guitar/amp problem?

Anyway let me know what you guys think, its bugging the crap out of me.

1/26/13 8:12 PM
viorage

sewich -  In the states its 8 bucks a month off the shelf or 15 bucks for a year and 25 for 2 years subscription. Kind of a no brainer to get the subscription. I renew every 2 years . Phone Post

NICE!  Ill subscribe when I move to my new place next month.

1/26/13 8:13 PM
viorage

oh and BTW about the question, they sound fine when they are played open.

1/26/13 10:27 PM
sewich

Sounds like fret buzz. What happens is the neck of the guitar gets out of shape(everything from string tension to humidity changes can cause your neck to bend) and the strings are vibrating against the frets causing the buzzing sound. The truss rod in the neck needs to be tightened or loosened to compensate the bow in the neck. Take it in to a shop cause truss rod adjustments are no job for a beginner, you can fuck it up bad real quick. Hopefully you have someone cool who will let you watch and maybe even show you what he does after a few times. This is where finding a good local shop comes in over going to a guitar center type corporate store. Phone Post
1/26/13 11:28 PM
nogidavid
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich -  Sounds like fret buzz. What happens is the neck of the guitar gets out of shape(everything from string tension to humidity changes can cause your neck to bend) and the strings are vibrating against the frets causing the buzzing sound. The truss rod in the neck needs to be tightened or loosened to compensate the bow in the neck. Take it in to a shop cause truss rod adjustments are no job for a beginner, you can fuck it up bad real quick. Hopefully you have someone cool who will let you watch and maybe even show you what he does after a few times. This is where finding a good local shop comes in over going to a guitar center type corporate store. Phone Post

this ^

1/26/13 11:29 PM
nogidavid
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i haven't played guitar in about 6 years, before that i would play about 4-5 hours a day, every day. this thread has had me seriously considering buying a new guitar and getting back into it, so thanks everyone!

i fancy a custom shop ESP KH-2

1/26/13 11:52 PM
viorage

sewich - Sounds like fret buzz. What happens is the neck of the guitar gets out of shape(everything from string tension to humidity changes can cause your neck to bend) and the strings are vibrating against the frets causing the buzzing sound. The truss rod in the neck needs to be tightened or loosened to compensate the bow in the neck. Take it in to a shop cause truss rod adjustments are no job for a beginner, you can fuck it up bad real quick. Hopefully you have someone cool who will let you watch and maybe even show you what he does after a few times. This is where finding a good local shop comes in over going to a guitar center type corporate store. Phone Post
Shit! Okay I'll have to look around for a shop. Although the guy at guitar center has 30 years exp Phone Post
1/27/13 12:12 AM
sewich

viorage -
Chimonos Revenge - What songs have you been working on? Phone Post
I've actually switched it up to blues riffs and licks. Working on a lot of string bends, hold downs (whatever there called) pull offs, slides, vibrato and barre chords.

I'm still working on NIN cover of Hurt but I have no time. Tomorrow I do have a day off!! Fuck yea Phone Post
A good way to practice hammer ons and pull offs is to do combine them with practicing scales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qVhJLE_5M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is a video demonstrating what I mean. This channel has some really good lessons that are suited toward rock. Phone Post
1/27/13 12:14 AM
sewich

viorage -
sewich - Sounds like fret buzz. What happens is the neck of the guitar gets out of shape(everything from string tension to humidity changes can cause your neck to bend) and the strings are vibrating against the frets causing the buzzing sound. The truss rod in the neck needs to be tightened or loosened to compensate the bow in the neck. Take it in to a shop cause truss rod adjustments are no job for a beginner, you can fuck it up bad real quick. Hopefully you have someone cool who will let you watch and maybe even show you what he does after a few times. This is where finding a good local shop comes in over going to a guitar center type corporate store. Phone Post
Shit! Okay I'll have to look around for a shop. Although the guy at guitar center has 30 years exp Phone Post
I'm sure he can do it I just never liked shopping or dealing with guitar center sales people. Phone Post
1/27/13 4:03 AM
viorage

sewich - 
viorage -
I'm sure he can do it I just never liked shopping or dealing with guitar center sales people. Phone Post

I hear ya.  Ill look around and if I find something close and has a lot of good reviews ill take it there.

1/27/13 4:24 AM
viorage

will this locking bridge work in my strat?

A low profile version of the Floyd Rose Original.

The Floyd Rose Pro Series Tremolo Bridge with R3 Nut is a low profile version of the Floyd Rose Original and has narrower string spacing. The Original Floyd Rose Tremolo string spacing is .420 inches and the Floyd Rose Pro strings spacing is .400 inches. No copy can duplicate the double-locking design of the Floyd Rose Tremolo System that allows you to lock your guitar in tune at the nut and at the bridge. The Floyd Rose Tremolo System is engineered like no other tremolo system. Its high quality steel parts are manufactured to exacting specifications.

The Floyd Rose Pro Series is produced in Germany. The R3 Nut is designed for guitars with neck widths of 1-11/16" (42.90mm) and a 10" radius.

I dont think it will, but I dont turn on the heat in my house and the windows dont shut all the way so I just noticed a little rust on my fucking bridge!  I guess Im going to have to put it away everynight or put something over it.

1/27/13 9:14 AM
Paperboy2000
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DO NOT put a floyd rose on your strat or you will be very unhappy, they are a pain in the ass especially for a beginner. A little rust is not a big deal and it's only maybe $10-$15 to ultimately replace your strat bridge.

Also, regarding the fret buzz - truss rod adjustment is actually very easy and you should just search youtube for a video or two to explain and then do it yourself. It is true that you can screw up the guitar, but that's why you will watch the video(s) first.
1/27/13 9:37 AM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude you should just play. Stop buying shit.
1/27/13 11:34 AM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - DO NOT put a floyd rose on your strat or you will be very unhappy, they are a pain in the ass especially for a beginner. A little rust is not a big deal and it's only maybe $10-$15 to ultimately replace your strat bridge.

Also, regarding the fret buzz - truss rod adjustment is actually very easy and you should just search youtube for a video or two to explain and then do it yourself. It is true that you can screw up the guitar, but that's why you will watch the video(s) first.

only $10-$15 bucks to replace my strat bridge!!  Nice I thought I would have to buy a new one, thanks dude.

1/27/13 11:37 AM
viorage

Edited: 01/27/13 11:42 AM
raleigh - Dude you should just play. Stop buying shit.

replacing fucked up parts isn't really buying shit if you ask me.  I thought I would have to replace the entire bridge but if I can just fix it for under $20 bucks Im there.

I also need to put on new strings can I buy those?  Is that okay with you?

1/27/13 12:09 PM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe you can pay the guy at gc to restring your guitar.
1/27/13 1:03 PM
viorage

raleigh - Maybe you can pay the guy at gc to restring your guitar.

nah Im going to try doing that myself.  Well unless after I watch the vids on messing with my neck and decide I dont want to try it.

1/27/13 1:11 PM
viorage

good video, Im going to give it a try.

1/27/13 1:22 PM
Paperboy2000
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Be conservative when you do it. You probably just need to bow your neck a tiny bit, maybe 120 degree turn max, start with like 30-45.
1/27/13 1:27 PM
viorage

I kept doing little turns, now it seems worse.  Do I need to tune it each time I turn?  Should I loosen it back up.

When I hold the first and last fret there is just a tiny gap on the 12th fret just like the vid said.  but like i said its worse

1/27/13 1:30 PM
viorage

ok I tuned it same thing problem.  Im going to loosen it a bit I guess

1/27/13 1:47 PM
viorage

12th fret with fret 1 and 21 (last fret) held down.  does that look too close now?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.