UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

11/23/12 12:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok I logged on to Vote all you guys up.  I appreciate the help.

and yes This is a jimmy vaughn custom made in mexico.  Thats what you were getting at. right?

anyway Ill continue voting you all up and appreciate all the tips I got some work to do tomorrow.

11/23/12 4:45 AM
TheHaunted2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El_Varaco -

stretch before you play to avoid cramping, john petrucci shows you how.

really helps especially when  you know you're gonna play for more than 30 mins. also helps stretch out your fingers.

sometimes the practice routine is exactly like traneing UFC, stretch, warm up, drills to improve skills (scales, licks, etc.) new techniques, new songs, jam.

Would vote up if I could, that dvd was my bible, jp is the man! Phone Post
11/23/12 4:53 AM
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What DVD is the petrucci one? I'll DL it!
11/23/12 4:57 AM
TheHaunted2

viorage -
TheHaunted2 - Shoulda bought an ibanez Phone Post
This just came up from a co worker I wasn't looking for a guitar. I'll buy a better one when I can actually play. I've wanted this my entire life now I have to learn. Just love blues guitar Phone Post
Ahh ok ye you wont get that warm tone out of an ibanez that strats will. But I could never go back from having 24 frets Phone Post
11/23/12 4:58 AM
El_Varaco
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ - What DVD is the petrucci one? I'll DL it!

rock discipline
11/23/12 4:59 AM
TheHaunted2

BenBJJ - What DVD is the petrucci one? I'll DL it!
Rock discipline Phone Post
11/23/12 5:01 AM
johnonguitar7

viorage - Very good information ill definately check out Justin. I'm realizing everything seems so fast but it will all slow down when you get the hang of it Phone Post
Everything is fast!

That is where muscle memory comes in. Once you "drill" something several times you don't need to think about all the tiny movements your hand has to make. It happens subconsciously. I can play very technical pieces of music whilst casually chatting away because I'm not using the part of my brain I must think with.... I COULDN'T use the part of my brain I think with at those speeds.... Even the speed of changing a chord at the end of a bar of music.

Also, you may or may not be the sort of guy to adhere to "structured" practice. Some people thrive on sitting down for an hour of scripted routine (10 minutes warm up, 15 minutes scales etc.) but other people find this hard. If you find yourself labouring get what's in front of you ask yourself honestly is there something else youd rather be practising? Maybe you really want to learn Smoke On The Water at that particular instance lol. Don't worry, go do it, you will benefit from actually enjoying what you are doing rather than half arsed trying to push through something you are not enjoying.

The flipside is that at some point you will actually WANT to come back and do the things you were finding laborious. The mind is strange Phone Post
11/23/12 5:15 AM
El_Varaco
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

johnonguitar7 - 
viorage - Very good information ill definately check out Justin. I'm realizing everything seems so fast but it will all slow down when you get the hang of it Phone Post
Everything is fast!

That is where muscle memory comes in. Once you "drill" something several times you don't need to think about all the tiny movements your hand has to make. It happens subconsciously. I can play very technical pieces of music whilst casually chatting away because I'm not using the part of my brain I must think with.... I COULDN'T use the part of my brain I think with at those speeds.... Even the speed of changing a chord at the end of a bar of music.

Also, you may or may not be the sort of guy to adhere to "structured" practice. Some people thrive on sitting down for an hour of scripted routine (10 minutes warm up, 15 minutes scales etc.) but other people find this hard. If you find yourself labouring get what's in front of you ask yourself honestly is there something else youd rather be practising? Maybe you really want to learn Smoke On The Water at that particular instance lol. Don't worry, go do it, you will benefit from actually enjoying what you are doing rather than half arsed trying to push through something you are not enjoying.

The flipside is that at some point you will actually WANT to come back and do the things you were finding laborious. The mind is strange Phone Post

^^truth

just start learning stuff you always wanted to learn.
11/23/12 5:46 AM
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyway you do it and anything you play.... Guitar is awesome!
11/23/12 6:43 AM
The Blizz
335 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RedEye0327 - Martyzsongs is pretty good. Phone Post
this. I've been playing for 10 years & I still learn a bunch of shit from his vids. Phone Post
11/23/12 7:27 AM
not_really_sure
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guitar pro is a great tablature program that I use. All the tabs u could want are at ultimate-guitar.com

I just started playing recently and have been steadily improving over the past few months. I love playing guitar, finally found an instrument I'm passionate about after dabbling in a multitude of others lol Phone Post
11/23/12 7:39 AM
jkennedy
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/12 7:42 AM
@viorage - my favorite Fender is MIM. Some guys get all status driven and look down on MIM since the American built models are suppose to be higher quality. I couldn't tell the difference and 99% of the people who pick up my guitar can't tell the difference. Phone Post
11/23/12 8:30 AM
lordbreakdown
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that pick guard isn't stock for that guitar.. I'm assuming that's one of the upgrades the guy was talking about
11/23/12 8:43 AM
Extendo
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Getting into guitar was probably the best thing I ever did for my mental health. All stresses of life are completely gone when I am playing.

It's been a long journey and the plateaus can be incredibly frustrating, but well worth the time and effort.

Also, nice looking guitbox! Phone Post
11/23/12 8:52 AM
lordbreakdown
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it also helps to have a huge hog, no beep. it's a known fact.. if you have a huge hog you can be a surgeon or play guitar or both.
11/23/12 11:18 AM
viorage
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lordbreakdown - that pick guard isn't stock for that guitar.. I'm assuming that's one of the upgrades the guy was talking about
I'm going to sound like a retard but I believe the neck is after market? It's a fender also he said the knobs up top are different also those metal strips up the neck are different. That's all I can think of, that he told me about. Phone Post
11/23/12 11:21 AM
viorage

not_really_sure - Guitar pro is a great tablature program that I use. All the tabs u could want are at ultimate-guitar.com

I just started playing recently and have been steadily improving over the past few months. I love playing guitar, finally found an instrument I'm passionate about after dabbling in a multitude of others lol Phone Post
I DL guitar pro 6 but I didn't understand it Phone Post
11/23/12 11:41 AM
invalid
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The program itself or tabs in general?

here's a quick write up on how to read tabs

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/how_to_read_tabs.html?no_takeover
11/23/12 11:51 AM
viorage

invalid - The program itself or tabs in general?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/how_to_read_tabs.html?no_takeover

okay Im gonna read that now. and watch some of these videos, then do some of these drills

11/23/12 11:53 AM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
lordbreakdown - that pick guard isn't stock for that guitar.. I'm assuming that's one of the upgrades the guy was talking about
I'm going to sound like a retard but I believe the neck is after market? It's a fender also he said the knobs up top are different also those metal strips up the neck are different. That's all I can think of, that he told me about. Phone Post
I would have had him give me a list of everything he changed personally Phone Post
11/23/12 12:00 PM
invalid
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

okay Im gonna read that now. and watch some of these videos, then do some of these drills

Don't worry, tabs will take about 3 minutes to learn. But once your guitar starts making noises that don't hurt your earballs none of this will feel like a chore
11/23/12 12:02 PM
viorage

Chimonos Revenge -  ^^ other blues artists I mean Phone Post

a quick list, buddy guy, bb king, stevie ray, john lee hooker, albert king, jonny lang, bo diddley

11/23/12 12:06 PM
viorage

the program

11/23/12 1:01 PM
Dajuisher
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -

Ok I logged on to Vote all you guys up.  I appreciate the help.

and yes This is a jimmy vaughn custom made in mexico.  Thats what you were getting at. right?

anyway Ill continue voting you all up and appreciate all the tips I got some work to do tomorrow.

That's cool, MIM is good too. Good deal on the set up, it would have been a SMOKING deal if it was MIA, that's all I was trying to get at. I own both MIM and MIA and love them both. Phone Post
11/23/12 1:02 PM
viorage

viorage - 

the program

ok I figured out how to read tabs now and know what frets are.  How do you take the tabs and insert them into guitar pro?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.