UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

1/27/13 1:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know Ill go look at my les paul and match that distance.

1/27/13 1:48 PM
Paperboy2000
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL dude, I thing you are going in the wrong direction? You want to loosen. You want MORE bow to reduce buzz, i.e. more curvature so it should sag in the middle of the neck, not stick out.
1/27/13 1:51 PM
Paperboy2000
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would not worry so much about that measurement. Once in a while you can get it set up properly and they will take care of that. You just need a very minor adjustment. When the buzz goes away you are done, and the neck may need several hours to fully adjust to the change, so be conservative.

You probably just need to turn back to where you were, then go a little in the opposite direction. Did you watch the video?
1/27/13 1:52 PM
viorage
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paperboy2000 - LOL dude, I thing you are going in the wrong direction? You want to loosen. You want MORE bow to reduce buzz, i.e. more curvature so it should sag in the middle of the neck, not stick out.

oh I watch that video I posted and he said you want the 12th fret to be about 1mm off the fret when fret 1 and 21 are pushed down.  Ill loosen it slowly and see if the buzz reduces as Im doing that.

1/27/13 1:59 PM
viorage

nice got it thanks dude!

1/27/13 2:01 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - I would not worry so much about that measurement. Once in a while you can get it set up properly and they will take care of that. You just need a very minor adjustment. When the buzz goes away you are done, and the neck may need several hours to fully adjust to the change, so be conservative.

You probably just need to turn back to where you were, then go a little in the opposite direction. Did you watch the video?

yeah I watched aha.  I was more worried about the measurement he said then actually listening to the guitar.  but that was really easy and its sounding really good now.  Ill give it a few hours and then recheck it and then tune her up.

Again thank you very much

1/27/13 2:04 PM
Paperboy2000

Have fun bro! I was waiting to make sure you didn't break it in two. Now I'm gonna plug in myself.
1/27/13 2:15 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - Have fun bro! I was waiting to make sure you didn't break it in two. Now I'm gonna plug in myself.

sounds like something I would do.  At work Im known for tightening shit till it brakes, especially cast iron, but I was very gentle with this.

and fuck only in Washington can your guitar rust while being stored inside.

1/27/13 2:16 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - Have fun bro! I was waiting to make sure you didn't break it in two. Now I'm gonna plug in myself.

what do you like to play?  What kind of set up do you have?

1/27/13 8:19 PM
nogidavid
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

going back, a floyd rose type bridge would not fit in your strat without routing out a big cavity for it to sit in

1/27/13 8:31 PM
Ryan Wood
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can, try out some guitars with floating bridges before pulling the trigger on popping one into your current axe. Like nogidavid said it involves some permanent mods to the guitar.

Fender does sell some "Super Strats" which are hot rodded right out of the box. See if you can find one in a music store and give it a try. A floating bridge can be fun, but it can also be a headache at times.
1/27/13 8:36 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - If you can, try out some guitars with floating bridges before pulling the trigger on popping one into your current axe. Like nogidavid said it involves some permanent mods to the guitar.

Fender does sell some "Super Strats" which are hot rodded right out of the box. See if you can find one in a music store and give it a try. A floating bridge can be fun, but it can also be a headache at times.
I think I can just replace the rusted parts for cheap. Phone Post
1/27/13 8:37 PM
viorage

nogidavid -

going back, a floyd rose type bridge would not fit in your strat without routing out a big cavity for it to sit in

I just thought it was kinda cool to be able to lock your guitar in tune Phone Post
1/27/13 8:38 PM
viorage

I would actually like to change the bridge just because I want a nice chrome one. I don't like the dull steel looking one I have. But then again it works Phone Post
1/27/13 9:32 PM
Paperboy2000

viorage - 

This thread will never end!

My situation is like yours plus about 8 years - got into it as an adult and could afford to buy what I want so some people thought I was a bit crazy too. I mostly bought (and sold) guitars but also some amps too.

I play mostly a Musicman Axis Super Sport through THD Flexi 50 into Mesa 4x12. It is way more than I need but I love playing it and it sounds like hot sex, and I can't really imagine wanting to change up. I don't use much in the way of pedals. I play different stuff, mostly classic rock type I guess, I like surf too. Recently playing a lot of Van Halen.
1/27/13 9:38 PM
Paperboy2000

viorage - 
nogidavid -

I just thought it was kinda cool to be able to lock your guitar in tune Phone Post

I wouldn't advise putting them on that strat, but what you are interested in are "locking tuners", for example, Sperzel is a good brand. You can buy a set for about $70 and they REALLY keep your axe in tune. When you look at higher end guitars you will see they are often standard.

Also, to stay in tune, when you re-string, you really have to stretch out the strings and re-tune several times right away or your tuning will be unstable. You should watch some videos about the subject first though, to avoid injury. :)
1/27/13 9:40 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - 
viorage - 

This thread will never end!

My situation is like yours plus about 8 years - got into it as an adult and could afford to buy what I want so some people thought I was a bit crazy too. I mostly bought (and sold) guitars but also some amps too.

I play mostly a Musicman Axis Super Sport through THD Flexi 50 into Mesa 4x12. It is way more than I need but I love playing it and it sounds like hot sex, and I can't really imagine wanting to change up. I don't use much in the way of pedals. I play different stuff, mostly classic rock type I guess, I like surf too. Recently playing a lot of Van Halen.

I think Im 3 months in,  but when I start to feel comfortable I get on guitar pro 6 pop on a song and then realize I still have a lot of work today.

my worst struggle point right now is foot tapping to trip-a-lets and sometimes even doubles.  my foot wants to tap all three times on a 1 count.  If I do it in my head it works a lot better.  Sticking point but I'll get over it.

1/27/13 9:48 PM
Paperboy2000

I used Guitar Pro and slowed things waaaaaay down, put it on a loop where the speed slowly builds, broke songs down into sections, sections into parts if needed. Still use that approach now.
1/27/13 9:49 PM
Paperboy2000

Same level of obsession as you and still obsessed now.
1/27/13 10:15 PM
viorage

Paperboy2000 - Same level of obsession as you and still obsessed now.
Cool. Someone who understands what I'm going through and the dedication you have to put in. Phone Post
1/27/13 10:22 PM
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread has inspired me.

I think the wife and I are going to try and learn together. What's the best way to start out for an absolute beginner? Phone Post
1/27/13 10:46 PM
DukeIsh
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love this thread. But I've been playing 20 years and ya'll have nicer gear than me! Phone Post
1/27/13 10:46 PM
DukeIsh
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I work for musiciansfriend BTW Phone Post
1/27/13 11:07 PM
viorage

JediJitsu - This thread has inspired me.

I think the wife and I are going to try and learn together. What's the best way to start out for an absolute beginner? Phone Post
Justinguitar.com is a great place to start. Also get a book on theory it brings it all together. I am a newb but I feel there is enough info out there to learn properly without going to a teacher Phone Post
1/27/13 11:10 PM
viorage

Learn to read tabs with the theory of the musical notes.

Find videos of tabs being played with close ups on the fret board that helped out quite a bit

Like I said I'm new so I'm probably giving bad advice but its working for me.

When you hit a plateau switch up what your doing for a while. Also work on chord changes. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.