UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/28/13 2:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As we say in the guitar world, this thread is worthless without pics!

Here are some of my finer items over the years. I buy and sell so they are all gone except my Grandpa's (now mine) '68 Martin D-18

1973 Stratocaster, all original with a 60's Jaguar case. Bought it for a grand, sold it on ebay to a guy in Japan for 3. Super nice player, wish I could have kept it but money talks. I'll get an older one someday

1963 SG jr. Played really nice, light as a feather. Love the single P90, sounds great clean and overdriven

My Grandpa's (now mine) 1968 Martin D-18. This thing has opened up nicely over the years, great sound and projection. One of two guitars I will never sell.

2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus. Very nice guitar, I just seem to get along better with SG's. I'll probably get another one someday though, too much of a Jimmy Page and Slash fanboy to not have one

2010 Gibson SG standard. Love SG's, these and Strats are my favorite. Had only an American tele for about 10 years, but I just like Strats more. Plus teles are the in thing right now so that's annoying

1/28/13 2:18 PM
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2002 or so PRS. One of the nicest guitars I've ever played. Another one I wish I could have kept but too much to be made on it. Previous owner had sanded down the neck, felt like a dream

Mesa single rectifier. Got a great deal on this, ended up trading it for the PRS above which was an insane deal. Liked it but didn't love it

Another one I wish I could have kept, 1964 Pre CBS Fender Bassman. CBS (yes that CBS) bought Fender in 1965, so anything made before then is worth way more. Bought it for 700, another one of those things I couldn't afford to keep when I could more than  double my money on it. I think these are going to skyrocket soon

As you can see it's all point to point wiring, which barely exists these days. No circuit boards like every new amp. Guitar guys love stuff like this, great American craftsmenship from days gone by

1/28/13 2:24 PM

Early 1960's Gibson EB0 bass. Smaller scale neck so it wasn't huge, played more like a guitar but had a great bass sound

1990 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Reminded me of Slash's so I had to have it. Needed a refret and stuff and I wasn't in love with it so I passed it on

2009 Gibson Explorer. Was fun and sounded great, neck was way too thin for me though, I like em big and chunky

1/28/13 3:11 PM
viorage
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^. Wow I'm jealous. So I assume that the vintage stuff is better quality and sounds better? Phone Post
1/28/13 3:13 PM
viorage
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want that blue PRS!! Phone Post
1/28/13 3:16 PM

viorage -  ^^. Wow I'm jealous. So I assume that the vintage stuff is better quality and sounds better? Phone Post

That's the idea, I think it's more sentimental than anything. All the great classic rockers were playing guitars from the 60's and early 70's, and a lot of baby boomers like to recapture their youth. New guitars these days are much more consistent and play better out of the box. Modern day Fender and Gibson's (as well as all the boutique builders) are hard to beat. There is something to old wood though, it's been able to dry out and open up a bit tonally. Vintage prices aren't based on playability though, they are based on scarcity and the cool factor.

Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and other's played a 1959 Les Paul, so those are worth the most (up to 250k a few years ago). Jimi Hendrix played old strats, so those are worth a ton as well

1/28/13 3:17 PM
viorage

DukeIsh - Possibly. Depends on what you're looking at.
I'm not really looking but I do want a Steve vai ibanez made in Japan. The older the better for playing metal.

Sounds like you have played just about every guitar. So would you recommend that.

Or a blue PRS like the one you used to have that is beautiful Phone Post
1/28/13 3:20 PM
viorage

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips -
viorage -  ^^. Wow I'm jealous. So I assume that the vintage stuff is better quality and sounds better? Phone Post

That's the idea, I think it's more sentimental than anything. All the great classic rockers were playing guitars from the 60's and early 70's, and a lot of baby boomers like to recapture their youth. New guitars these days are much more consistent and play better out of the box. Modern day Fender and Gibson's (as well as all the boutique builders) are hard to beat. There is something to old wood though, it's been able to dry out and open up a bit tonally. Vintage prices aren't based on playability though, they are based on scarcity and the cool factor.

Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and other's played a 1959 Les Paul, so those are worth the most (up to 250k a few years ago). Jimi Hendrix played old strats, so those are worth a ton as well

Yeah my new les Paul sounds unbelievable. But I don't play it unless my strat is down. I want to learn on the strat and keep my les Paul nice and clean and then break it out when I can actually play well Phone Post
1/28/13 3:21 PM

viorage -  I want that blue PRS!! Phone Post

Yea me too! Was very nice, flame maple top with unfinished sides to give it a binding look. My best advice is not to get caught up in collecting guitars, the tone is in the hands more than anything. Your JV strat is good enough that any great player could pick it up and sound the same as they do on their sig guitar. Just play, too many "players" are more into buying more and more guitars than actually perfecting the art.

I have one electric and one acoustic and I like it that way

More shots of the prs...

1/28/13 3:22 PM
viorage

I actually prefer to buy new, it's just the way I'm wired. I know I should let someone else take the hit o. Retail prices.

I hope someone can give me some feedback on the ibanez Steve vai MIJ
I found one the other day on Craigslist but I want to hear more opinions on it Phone Post
1/28/13 3:24 PM

raleigh - Dude you should just play. Stop buying shit.

Best advice of the thread. Guitar stuff is cool so it's an easy hole to fall into, but yea just play

1/28/13 3:37 PM
viorage

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips -
raleigh - Dude you should just play. Stop buying shit.

Best advice of the thread. Guitar stuff is cool so it's an easy hole to fall into, but yea just play

Okay okay but I really want an ibanez Phone Post
1/28/13 5:04 PM
JediJitsu
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Almost picked up a cheap Ibanez today, but decided to hold out and save up for a digital piano. For a long time I could not decide between the two, but I really love the piano and would like to learn it first. One day I hope to be able to play both instruments.
1/28/13 5:36 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to a music store and try out some Ibanez guitars. The RG series is really nice, from the budget models to the high end ones. I really like the Wizard II neck on my RG.

Looking for another guitar "for playing metal" isn't necessary, man. I know you get a little offended when people tell you not to worry so much about buying stuff -- I'm not implying that you shouldn't do whatever you want to with the money you make, that's your right to spend however you want -- just know that you can play damn near any kind of metal you want (or any other kind of music for that matter) with the guitars and gear you've got right now.

Metal is in the way you attack, your intent, the way you play the riffs, but most importantly it's in your tone and thus in your technique.

The Vai models are beautiful and if it's got Steve's endorsement and he plays the thing, you know it's a sweet guitar. Maybe you're chasing that elusive sound in your head that all guitarists hear and try to articulate, that's normal. It's awesome that you've got fire and passion for the guitar but nothing will fulfill your wish to unleash that sound more than time, which by the sound of it you're putting plenty of in.

Anyways, I'll close this out with the best guitar advice ever given to me: Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
1/28/13 5:53 PM
sewich
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God damn it forgot to unplug my cable last night and now my 9 volt battery for my emg's is dead. Guess I'm playing unplugged tonight. Phone Post
1/28/13 5:56 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh man one time me and a buddy were jamming when all of the sudden something sounded off. His guitar has EMGs and he had left his axe plugged in earlier in the day so the battery died while he was playing. What a terrible sound lol
1/28/13 6:00 PM

Edited: 01/28/13 5:59 PM
viorage -  I actually prefer to buy new, it's just the way I'm wired. I know I should let someone else take the hit o. Retail prices.

I found one the other day on Craigslist but I want to hear more opinions on it Phone Post

Be really careful with used/craigslist JEMs, there are a ton of fakes going around. Someone who doesn't know alot can easily end up with a Chinese replica worth $100. They look the same, say Ibanez and everything, just small differences. Google to find out tip offs

1/28/13 6:01 PM
sewich
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - I actually prefer to buy new, it's just the way I'm wired. I know I should let someone else take the hit o. Retail prices.

I actually played one this weekend when getting strings, for the price tag I wasn't super impressed, maybe if you find one used.
I also played a music man jpx, it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. Phone Post
1/28/13 6:54 PM
BenBJJ
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/13 6:55 PM
ESP Horizon > Ibanez

1/28/13 6:58 PM
BenBJJ
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is what you want... 

1/28/13 8:52 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - Go to a music store and try out some Ibanez guitars. The RG series is really nice, from the budget models to the high end ones. I really like the Wizard II neck on my RG.

Looking for another guitar "for playing metal" isn't necessary, man. I know you get a little offended when people tell you not to worry so much about buying stuff -- I'm not implying that you shouldn't do whatever you want to with the money you make, that's your right to spend however you want -- just know that you can play damn near any kind of metal you want (or any other kind of music for that matter) with the guitars and gear you've got right now.

Metal is in the way you attack, your intent, the way you play the riffs, but most importantly it's in your tone and thus in your technique.

The Vai models are beautiful and if it's got Steve's endorsement and he plays the thing, you know it's a sweet guitar. Maybe you're chasing that elusive sound in your head that all guitarists hear and try to articulate, that's normal. It's awesome that you've got fire and passion for the guitar but nothing will fulfill your wish to unleash that sound more than time, which by the sound of it you're putting plenty of in.

Anyways, I'll close this out with the best guitar advice ever given to me: Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
I just like the guitar. But I have decided to not buy anything else. Thanks everyone for ruinin my fun :( Phone Post
1/28/13 8:55 PM
viorage

I want to collect guitars. But I'm not going to. You guys are right I'm just gonna play Phone Post
1/28/13 9:09 PM
BenBJJ

Nah, collect guitars. Play, Collect, Play. Have fun. Drink a beer. Don't be dictated to.
1/28/13 9:16 PM
Ryan Wood

By all means, collect guitars, dude! I was just trying to illustrate the point that getting a different guitar "for metal" when you've got a Stratocaster and a Les Paul isn't necessary. Both of those can be killer metal guitars. If you want to collect for collection's sake and just to enjoy the different sounds and properties of different guitars, hell man, go for it.
1/28/13 10:12 PM

Edited: 01/28/13 10:13 PM
viorage -  I want to collect guitars. But I'm not going to. You guys are right I'm just gonna play Phone Post

You can collect, but wait til you know what you are doing. Your taste in guitars will change when you figure out how to play and what you like and don't like. That takes years. Especially since you like buying new you could make some expensive mistakes. What I liked when I started playing 12 years ago I would have no interest in today. You'd also feel like a tool if you show up to a jam or band situation and a guy with a hundred dollar squier is an unbelievable player. You'll feel pretty dumb pulling out your thousand + dollar guitar and playing like shit. Just be patient with it all, guitar is a life long hobby no rush

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.