UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

1/27/13 11:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn to read tabs with the theory of the musical notes.

Find videos of tabs being played with close ups on the fret board that helped out quite a bit

Like I said I'm new so I'm probably giving bad advice but its working for me.

When you hit a plateau switch up what your doing for a while. Also work on chord changes. Phone Post
1/27/13 11:13 PM
viorage
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JediJitsu - This thread has inspired me.

I think the wife and I are going to try and learn together. What's the best way to start out for an absolute beginner? Phone Post
You can start readin this thread from the beginning. I was an absolute beginner with zero musical background and for wonderful tips.

Beware when you buy stuff people are going to talk a bunch of shit. Do what you want to make it fun. That's what it's all about.

Also it's extremely challenging be prepared for that Phone Post
1/27/13 11:37 PM
viorage

DukeIsh - I work for musiciansfriend BTW Phone Post
What is that? Phone Post
1/27/13 11:49 PM
nogidavid
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Wood - If you can, try out some guitars with floating bridges before pulling the trigger on popping one into your current axe. Like nogidavid said it involves some permanent mods to the guitar.

Fender does sell some "Super Strats" which are hot rodded right out of the box. See if you can find one in a music store and give it a try. A floating bridge can be fun, but it can also be a headache at times.

i used to have the greg howe signature Heavy Metal HM strat, was awesome. miss that guitar

1/28/13 12:12 AM
joeythehulk
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a heckuva first guitar. Congrats. Try Wholenote . Com not sure if its still around but a lot of great resources. Phone Post
1/28/13 3:16 AM
JediJitsu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
JediJitsu - This thread has inspired me.

I think the wife and I are going to try and learn together. What's the best way to start out for an absolute beginner? Phone Post
You can start readin this thread from the beginning. I was an absolute beginner with zero musical background and for wonderful tips.

Beware when you buy stuff people are going to talk a bunch of shit. Do what you want to make it fun. That's what it's all about.

Also it's extremely challenging be prepared for that Phone Post
Thanks bro! Will definitely give the thread a good read. You should post a vid of your progress. Phone Post
1/28/13 4:14 AM
mister_sticks
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone here play bass? I picked up one couple of weeks ago (no guitar background, whatsoever) and just started learning songs via bass tabs. So far, I can play around eight songs.

Am I doing it right? Phone Post
1/28/13 6:35 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mister_sticks -  Anyone here play bass? I picked up one couple of weeks ago (no guitar background, whatsoever) and just started learning songs via bass tabs. So far, I can play around eight songs.

Use a metronome for fuck's sake.
1/28/13 6:45 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Paperboy2000 - I used Guitar Pro and slowed things waaaaaay down, put it on a loop where the speed slowly builds, broke songs down into sections, sections into parts if needed. Still use that approach now.

I still do this, especially for phrasing things correctly. I always add a percussion track which just has bass drum or cowbell on each beat to get into the groove for practicing with just the metronome.
1/28/13 6:46 AM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DukeIsh -  I work for musiciansfriend BTW Phone Post

Your company's 150% pricematch policy is unreal, they must be losing a shit ton. I've bought 10 guitars in the last month for basically nothing

1/28/13 6:51 AM
mister_sticks
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome -
mister_sticks -  Anyone here play bass? I picked up one couple of weeks ago (no guitar background, whatsoever) and just started learning songs via bass tabs. So far, I can play around eight songs.

What is this and how does it help? ;) Phone Post
1/28/13 6:55 AM
yellow c0ckahlc

Has me a Line 6 Spider IV. Love it <3

1/28/13 12:38 PM
viorage

mister_sticks -
Invisible Lats Syndrome -

What is this and how does it help? ;) Phone Post
Helps you play with the correct tempo Phone Post
1/28/13 12:43 PM
viorage

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips -

Your company's 150% pricematch policy is unreal, they must be losing a shit ton. I've bought 10 guitars in the last month for basically nothing

Woe woe I've got to check this oit Phone Post
1/28/13 12:49 PM
viorage

DukeIsh - I work for musiciansfriend BTW Phone Post
Can you get us deals Phone Post
1/28/13 1:51 PM
DukeIsh
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Possibly. Depends on what you're looking at.
1/28/13 2:02 PM
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

Woe woe I've got to check this oit Phone Post

The best of it has already ended, they now capped it at $100. But before xmas you could get a gibson sg standard on sam ash for 799, musiciansfriend at 1099 would pricematch, and give you a coupon for 50% of the difference, so you'd get $300 off and a coupon for $150, essentially making a new sg standard $650. Some people did them on Les Paul's and got coupons for $350 back

1/28/13 2:11 PM

As we say in the guitar world, this thread is worthless without pics!

Here are some of my finer items over the years. I buy and sell so they are all gone except my Grandpa's (now mine) '68 Martin D-18

1973 Stratocaster, all original with a 60's Jaguar case. Bought it for a grand, sold it on ebay to a guy in Japan for 3. Super nice player, wish I could have kept it but money talks. I'll get an older one someday

1963 SG jr. Played really nice, light as a feather. Love the single P90, sounds great clean and overdriven

My Grandpa's (now mine) 1968 Martin D-18. This thing has opened up nicely over the years, great sound and projection. One of two guitars I will never sell.

2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus. Very nice guitar, I just seem to get along better with SG's. I'll probably get another one someday though, too much of a Jimmy Page and Slash fanboy to not have one

2010 Gibson SG standard. Love SG's, these and Strats are my favorite. Had only an American tele for about 10 years, but I just like Strats more. Plus teles are the in thing right now so that's annoying

1/28/13 2:18 PM

2002 or so PRS. One of the nicest guitars I've ever played. Another one I wish I could have kept but too much to be made on it. Previous owner had sanded down the neck, felt like a dream

Mesa single rectifier. Got a great deal on this, ended up trading it for the PRS above which was an insane deal. Liked it but didn't love it

Another one I wish I could have kept, 1964 Pre CBS Fender Bassman. CBS (yes that CBS) bought Fender in 1965, so anything made before then is worth way more. Bought it for 700, another one of those things I couldn't afford to keep when I could more than  double my money on it. I think these are going to skyrocket soon

As you can see it's all point to point wiring, which barely exists these days. No circuit boards like every new amp. Guitar guys love stuff like this, great American craftsmenship from days gone by

1/28/13 2:24 PM

Early 1960's Gibson EB0 bass. Smaller scale neck so it wasn't huge, played more like a guitar but had a great bass sound

1990 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Reminded me of Slash's so I had to have it. Needed a refret and stuff and I wasn't in love with it so I passed it on

2009 Gibson Explorer. Was fun and sounded great, neck was way too thin for me though, I like em big and chunky

1/28/13 3:11 PM
viorage

^^. Wow I'm jealous. So I assume that the vintage stuff is better quality and sounds better? Phone Post
1/28/13 3:13 PM
viorage

I want that blue PRS!! Phone Post
1/28/13 3:16 PM

viorage -  ^^. Wow I'm jealous. So I assume that the vintage stuff is better quality and sounds better? Phone Post

That's the idea, I think it's more sentimental than anything. All the great classic rockers were playing guitars from the 60's and early 70's, and a lot of baby boomers like to recapture their youth. New guitars these days are much more consistent and play better out of the box. Modern day Fender and Gibson's (as well as all the boutique builders) are hard to beat. There is something to old wood though, it's been able to dry out and open up a bit tonally. Vintage prices aren't based on playability though, they are based on scarcity and the cool factor.

Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and other's played a 1959 Les Paul, so those are worth the most (up to 250k a few years ago). Jimi Hendrix played old strats, so those are worth a ton as well

1/28/13 3:17 PM
viorage

DukeIsh - Possibly. Depends on what you're looking at.
I'm not really looking but I do want a Steve vai ibanez made in Japan. The older the better for playing metal.

Sounds like you have played just about every guitar. So would you recommend that.

Or a blue PRS like the one you used to have that is beautiful Phone Post
1/28/13 3:20 PM
viorage

viorage -  ^^. Wow I'm jealous. So I assume that the vintage stuff is better quality and sounds better? Phone Post

That's the idea, I think it's more sentimental than anything. All the great classic rockers were playing guitars from the 60's and early 70's, and a lot of baby boomers like to recapture their youth. New guitars these days are much more consistent and play better out of the box. Modern day Fender and Gibson's (as well as all the boutique builders) are hard to beat. There is something to old wood though, it's been able to dry out and open up a bit tonally. Vintage prices aren't based on playability though, they are based on scarcity and the cool factor.

Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and other's played a 1959 Les Paul, so those are worth the most (up to 250k a few years ago). Jimi Hendrix played old strats, so those are worth a ton as well

Yeah my new les Paul sounds unbelievable. But I don't play it unless my strat is down. I want to learn on the strat and keep my les Paul nice and clean and then break it out when I can actually play well Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.