UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

1/28/13 3:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually prefer to buy new, it's just the way I'm wired. I know I should let someone else take the hit o. Retail prices.

I hope someone can give me some feedback on the ibanez Steve vai MIJ
I found one the other day on Craigslist but I want to hear more opinions on it Phone Post
1/28/13 3:24 PM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

raleigh - Dude you should just play. Stop buying shit.

Best advice of the thread. Guitar stuff is cool so it's an easy hole to fall into, but yea just play

1/28/13 3:37 PM
viorage
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips -
raleigh - Dude you should just play. Stop buying shit.

Best advice of the thread. Guitar stuff is cool so it's an easy hole to fall into, but yea just play

Okay okay but I really want an ibanez Phone Post
1/28/13 5:04 PM
JediJitsu
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Almost picked up a cheap Ibanez today, but decided to hold out and save up for a digital piano. For a long time I could not decide between the two, but I really love the piano and would like to learn it first. One day I hope to be able to play both instruments.
1/28/13 5:36 PM
Ryan Wood
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to a music store and try out some Ibanez guitars. The RG series is really nice, from the budget models to the high end ones. I really like the Wizard II neck on my RG.

Looking for another guitar "for playing metal" isn't necessary, man. I know you get a little offended when people tell you not to worry so much about buying stuff -- I'm not implying that you shouldn't do whatever you want to with the money you make, that's your right to spend however you want -- just know that you can play damn near any kind of metal you want (or any other kind of music for that matter) with the guitars and gear you've got right now.

Metal is in the way you attack, your intent, the way you play the riffs, but most importantly it's in your tone and thus in your technique.

The Vai models are beautiful and if it's got Steve's endorsement and he plays the thing, you know it's a sweet guitar. Maybe you're chasing that elusive sound in your head that all guitarists hear and try to articulate, that's normal. It's awesome that you've got fire and passion for the guitar but nothing will fulfill your wish to unleash that sound more than time, which by the sound of it you're putting plenty of in.

Anyways, I'll close this out with the best guitar advice ever given to me: Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
1/28/13 5:53 PM
sewich
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God damn it forgot to unplug my cable last night and now my 9 volt battery for my emg's is dead. Guess I'm playing unplugged tonight. Phone Post
1/28/13 5:56 PM
Ryan Wood
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh man one time me and a buddy were jamming when all of the sudden something sounded off. His guitar has EMGs and he had left his axe plugged in earlier in the day so the battery died while he was playing. What a terrible sound lol
1/28/13 6:00 PM
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/13 5:59 PM
viorage -  I actually prefer to buy new, it's just the way I'm wired. I know I should let someone else take the hit o. Retail prices.

I found one the other day on Craigslist but I want to hear more opinions on it Phone Post

Be really careful with used/craigslist JEMs, there are a ton of fakes going around. Someone who doesn't know alot can easily end up with a Chinese replica worth $100. They look the same, say Ibanez and everything, just small differences. Google to find out tip offs

1/28/13 6:01 PM
sewich
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - I actually prefer to buy new, it's just the way I'm wired. I know I should let someone else take the hit o. Retail prices.

I actually played one this weekend when getting strings, for the price tag I wasn't super impressed, maybe if you find one used.
I also played a music man jpx, it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. Phone Post
1/28/13 6:54 PM
BenBJJ
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/13 6:55 PM
ESP Horizon > Ibanez

1/28/13 6:58 PM
BenBJJ
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is what you want... 

1/28/13 8:52 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - Go to a music store and try out some Ibanez guitars. The RG series is really nice, from the budget models to the high end ones. I really like the Wizard II neck on my RG.

Looking for another guitar "for playing metal" isn't necessary, man. I know you get a little offended when people tell you not to worry so much about buying stuff -- I'm not implying that you shouldn't do whatever you want to with the money you make, that's your right to spend however you want -- just know that you can play damn near any kind of metal you want (or any other kind of music for that matter) with the guitars and gear you've got right now.

Metal is in the way you attack, your intent, the way you play the riffs, but most importantly it's in your tone and thus in your technique.

The Vai models are beautiful and if it's got Steve's endorsement and he plays the thing, you know it's a sweet guitar. Maybe you're chasing that elusive sound in your head that all guitarists hear and try to articulate, that's normal. It's awesome that you've got fire and passion for the guitar but nothing will fulfill your wish to unleash that sound more than time, which by the sound of it you're putting plenty of in.

Anyways, I'll close this out with the best guitar advice ever given to me: Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
I just like the guitar. But I have decided to not buy anything else. Thanks everyone for ruinin my fun :( Phone Post
1/28/13 8:55 PM
viorage

I want to collect guitars. But I'm not going to. You guys are right I'm just gonna play Phone Post
1/28/13 9:09 PM
BenBJJ

Nah, collect guitars. Play, Collect, Play. Have fun. Drink a beer. Don't be dictated to.
1/28/13 9:16 PM
Ryan Wood

By all means, collect guitars, dude! I was just trying to illustrate the point that getting a different guitar "for metal" when you've got a Stratocaster and a Les Paul isn't necessary. Both of those can be killer metal guitars. If you want to collect for collection's sake and just to enjoy the different sounds and properties of different guitars, hell man, go for it.
1/28/13 10:12 PM

Edited: 01/28/13 10:13 PM
viorage -  I want to collect guitars. But I'm not going to. You guys are right I'm just gonna play Phone Post

You can collect, but wait til you know what you are doing. Your taste in guitars will change when you figure out how to play and what you like and don't like. That takes years. Especially since you like buying new you could make some expensive mistakes. What I liked when I started playing 12 years ago I would have no interest in today. You'd also feel like a tool if you show up to a jam or band situation and a guy with a hundred dollar squier is an unbelievable player. You'll feel pretty dumb pulling out your thousand + dollar guitar and playing like shit. Just be patient with it all, guitar is a life long hobby no rush

1/28/13 10:47 PM
viorage

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips -
viorage -  I want to collect guitars. But I'm not going to. You guys are right I'm just gonna play Phone Post

You can collect, but wait til you know what you are doing. Your taste in guitars will change when you figure out how to play and what you like and don't like. That takes years. Especially since you like buying new you could make some expensive mistakes. What I liked when I started playing 12 years ago I would have no interest in today. You'd also feel like a tool if you show up to a jam or band situation and a guy with a hundred dollar squier is an unbelievable player. You'll feel pretty dumb pulling out your thousand + dollar guitar and playing like shit. Just be patient with it all, guitar is a life long hobby no rush

True. I don't think I'll ever play in front of anyone unless I'm really good friends with them.

I have severe social anxiety and the main reason I want to play the blues is that it completely calms me down. When I'm listening to the blues all the shit I would be worrying about goes away

Ill say it again but buddy guy saved my life Phone Post
1/28/13 11:01 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips - 

I definitely think people should start modest and then upgrade to suit the direction they take.

Today you can get a new Squier or Epi and a little Vox Pathfinder or a Yamaha acoustic for not that much of an outlay that'll play well enough for learning the basics, once someone who knows what they're doing gives it an adjustment.

Some people are of the opinion that you buy decent gear at the start and that'll make you more motivated to learn, generally will sound better (pickups especially) and the gear will be easier to use or less limiting in the long term. I don't disagree with any of that in principle, but a beginner is probably going to fuck something up, break strings tuning, screw the tremolo arm in too much ,etc and probably has no appreciation of the style of neck, bridge, pickups, etc they'll prefer.
1/28/13 11:11 PM
viorage

Personally I think I've came a long way in two months. I've put in a lot of work. I have a long ways to go, I know that.

I've read a ton of information. Especially on classic guitars. On that note I wonder if the early ibanez guitars that were copied from the Gibson and fenders are worth much? Phone Post
1/28/13 11:23 PM
Ryan Wood

Even if you don't intend on sharing with anyone, you should think about recording yourself playing, whether it's along with a favourite song or a backing track or whatever. It's a pretty good way to gauge your progress as the years go by. I have some pretty cringe worthy recent recordings, but when I look back at my early stuff I don't feel so bad lol
1/29/13 8:46 AM
viorage

Ryan Wood - Even if you don't intend on sharing with anyone, you should think about recording yourself playing, whether it's along with a favourite song or a backing track or whatever. It's a pretty good way to gauge your progress as the years go by. I have some pretty cringe worthy recent recordings, but when I look back at my early stuff I don't feel so bad lol
Can I do that with those computer cameras? The ones people use for Skype? That's all I have Phone Post
1/29/13 11:47 AM
Ryan Wood

Yeah man, as long as the device has a microphone just download a free audio recording program like Audacity and have at it. You can even use your phone if it's got a mic, then just transfer the file to your PC.
1/29/13 12:33 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - Yeah man, as long as the device has a microphone just download a free audio recording program like Audacity and have at it. You can even use your phone if it's got a mic, then just transfer the file to your PC.
Ill see what I can do Phone Post
1/29/13 1:58 PM
Extendo
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have a Mac, Garage Band is a lot of fun. Phone Post
1/29/13 4:15 PM
AssassinsNATION
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
Retired Douchebag - 
viorage - 

I cant even figure out how to get the amp to play, no sound comes out, time to read the manual.  I was hoping it was just a plug and play type deal

I have the same amp. You need to make sure it's on the correct channel and turn the volume up. Otherwise, make sure the volume knob on the guitar is set to + and not 0. My first guitar was a mexican strat. I now have a Steve Vai Jem and a Gibson Les Paul anniversary hanging on the wall

thanks I got her working now.  found some excerises on youtube.  I need to strengthen my hand its kinda cramping up.

Keep playing your hand will build dexterity and finger tips will callius over. Learn how to tune your guitar properly and if you are able wipe guitar down after use the oils from your fingers will eat the strings up. Learn to read guitar tab. I used to have a website that had reliable accurate music to learn ill post link later once I find it. Also learning scales and modes will help you but first learn some easy songs. Nirvana teen spirit is a good one to learn first. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.