UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

2/6/13 1:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nah when I'm home I'm reading and learning about the guitar. It's at work when I'm bored I run through Craigslist.

That being said. Lol I did buy something a Vox amplug so I can plug in and practice on my lunch break at work. Only $30 bucks. So I should get a pass.

Tapout guy out Phone Post
2/6/13 4:06 PM
viorage
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeBunn -
viorage - OMG. Just figured out something. I'm the guy who comes to for the first time and shows up with all the gear in the world when us guys who have been doing it forever show up with torn up shorts a t-shirt and a mouthpiece.

Holy shit I'm the tapout guy. FFS. Okay let's let this thread die please I'm really embarrassed now Phone Post
Yes, you are. I've been playing the instrument for well over 20 years and I use one guitar and one amp 90% of the time. All you do is look for things to buy instead of things to learn and master. The tone comes from the fingers. Phone Post
Be honest so you never in twenty years Bought something that was unnecessary?

Anyway no more eBay or Craigslist for me. I've got everything ill ever need. Phone Post
2/8/13 10:05 PM
theseanster
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - OMG. Just figured out something. I'm the guy who comes to for the first time and shows up with all the gear in the world when us guys who have been doing it forever show up with torn up shorts a t-shirt and a mouthpiece.

Holy shit I'm the tapout guy. FFS. Okay let's let this thread die please I'm really embarrassed now Phone Post
Fuck that. Anyone here would have done the same shit as a teenager having the cash.

I just started keyboard/piano and I spent a few grand for something, and I would have paid double if there was some benefit other than production features Phone Post
2/8/13 10:30 PM
sewich
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeBunn -

Yes, you are. I've been playing the instrument for well over 20 years and I use one guitar and one amp 90% of the time. All you do is look for things to buy instead of things to learn and master. The tone comes from the fingers. Phone Post
Actually tone is primarily guitar and amp. Could someone like Stevie ray vaughn pick up a 100 dollar squire guitar and play it through a cheap 50 dollar solid state amp and play really well? Yes of coarse but it will have a completely different sound than his vintage fender strat played though his fender vibroluxes. Phone Post
2/8/13 10:31 PM
nogidavid
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeBunn - 

i agree to a degree,  but go try and play machine head on a telecaster

2/8/13 11:03 PM
Paperboy2000
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's ALL about having fun. Do what you want. me learned a ton from the different gear me have owned. All the different parts and pieces are voiced differently. Might also be easier to try stuff out at the music store rather than buy everything just like that.

And you're not the tapout guy cuz you are actually doing it, and deep into it. You will grow into your gear.
2/9/13 2:47 AM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich - 
JoeBunn -

Actually tone is primarily guitar and amp. Could someone like Stevie ray vaughn pick up a 100 dollar squire guitar and play it through a cheap 50 dollar solid state amp and play really well? Yes of coarse but it will have a completely different sound than his vintage fender strat played though his fender vibroluxes. Phone Post

Stevie could play the JV strat and a 150 dollar tube amp and blow the shit out of anyone with thousands in gear. Tone is all in the fingers. Slash sounds like slash on anything, Jimi sounds like Jimi on anything, Brian Setzer would sound like Brian Setzer on anything. They all get/got paid to play the gear they do

2/9/13 8:36 AM
Judge Mental
662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips - 
sewich - 
JoeBunn -

Stevie could play the JV strat and a 150 dollar tube amp and blow the shit out of anyone with thousands in gear. Tone is all in the fingers. Slash sounds like slash on anything, Jimi sounds like Jimi on anything, Brian Setzer would sound like Brian Setzer on anything. They all get/got paid to play the gear they do

Truth.
2/9/13 8:54 AM
jman
535 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say 90% of tone is in your fingers.

That other 10% is your gear.

So say you and someone else are the same level of technique, if if he has better gear, he is going to sound better.
2/9/13 9:06 AM
Charles T Rose
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im tired of people saying tone is "all in the fingers"...a good deal is but certainly not all.An experienced player will sound good on cheap gear but a beginner will likely be uninspired to practice if they cant get a decent tone from their gear to begin with.
Put an SRV type player on a Yngwie style strat,scalloped fretboard with 8's tuned to E-flat(Angel hair basically) through a cranked Marshall....you think he will sound the same? come on guy get real
2/9/13 9:21 AM
viorage

Charles T Rose - Im tired of people saying tone is "all in the fingers"...a good deal is but certainly not all.An experienced player will sound good on cheap gear but a beginner will likely be uninspired to practice if they cant get a decent tone from their gear to begin with.
Put an SRV type player on a Yngwie style strat,scalloped fretboard with 8's tuned to E-flat(Angel hair basically) through a cranked Marshall....you think he will sound the same? come on guy get real
I agree. Coming from a beginner when I had that line 6 amp I was thinking the entire time how shitty it sounded just plucking a string. I ha also had a little acoustic g20 amp for my GF when she wanted to play. I played through that while I watched football this year in the living room and most o the time I just turned it off cause it sounded so bad and played with no amp at all.

It is very un-motivating playing through shit equipment.

But like I said I have everything I need now and won't have to purchase anything else for a long time. Phone Post
2/9/13 9:24 AM
viorage

On another note I have the blues shuffle down and some other bluesy stuff down and can play it without looking at the fretboard or and the strings on the strumming hand. I also have a few songs dialed in Phone Post
2/9/13 11:45 AM
Paperboy2000

Obviously, the fact is that RELATIVE tone is in the fingers. Change anything in the gear and you change the voice.
2/9/13 12:56 PM
theseanster
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhoppersJr -
theseanster - 

Fuck that. Anyone here would have done the same shit as a teenager having the cash.

I just started keyboard/piano and I spent a few grand for something, and I would have paid double if there was some benefit other than production features Phone Post

Said "teenager" in this case is a grown man in his 30's, who you would hope is a *wee* bit more rational than a kid...
What does being able to afford great gear have to do with being rational? He bought a nice guitar, amp, and some pedals...so what? He didn't mortgage his house and buy a studio. We could all buy Hyundais to drive too and be rational, but if you have the income and want a Mercedes WTF why not?

OP did nothing wrong at all Phone Post
2/9/13 12:57 PM
theseanster

Paperboy2000 - Obviously, the fact is that RELATIVE tone is in the fingers. Change anything in the gear and you change the voice.
This is a really great way to explain it! Phone Post
2/9/13 2:20 PM
sewich
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips -
sewich - 
JoeBunn -

If you think a 150 dollar Chinese made tube amp will give the same sound as a vintage fender virbolux you are mistaken

Its not just marketing these Amps have a very specific sound just like the difference between Mesa boogie dual rectifiers and marshall jcm. Both get the job done but both also have very distinct sounds.
Tone is tone and skill is skill. You can play skillfully on any type of gear but not all gear will give the same tone. Take a telecaster and fender tweed deluxe and try to get a lamb of god tone from it, all the skill in the world won't make it happen. Phone Post
2/9/13 2:54 PM

sewich - 
sewich - 
JoeBunn -

If you think a 150 dollar Chinese made tube amp will give the same sound as a vintage fender virbolux you are mistaken

Its not just marketing these Amps have a very specific sound just like the difference between Mesa boogie dual rectifiers and marshall jcm. Both get the job done but both also have very distinct sounds.
Tone is tone and skill is skill. You can play skillfully on any type of gear but not all gear will give the same tone. Take a telecaster and fender tweed deluxe and try to get a lamb of god tone from it, all the skill in the world won't make it happen. Phone Post

My made in England Marshall JCM 2000 was 150 on craigslist. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference fren. Lamb of god isn't tone, it's mud and chunk, we are talking about a clean player in SRV. Tone is in ze fingers, we can agree to disagree

2/9/13 3:25 PM
viorage

theseanster -
WhoppersJr -
theseanster - 

Said "teenager" in this case is a grown man in his 30's, who you would hope is a *wee* bit more rational than a kid...
What does being able to afford great gear have to do with being rational? He bought a nice guitar, amp, and some pedals...so what? He didn't mortgage his house and buy a studio. We could all buy Hyundais to drive too and be rational, but if you have the income and want a Mercedes WTF why not?

OP did nothing wrong at all Phone Post
Thanks man Phone Post
2/9/13 3:34 PM
viorage

Why is everyone still arguing over this I admitted that I'm the dumb fucking tapout guy. What do you want me to do sell all the shit I'm using or enjoy using the stuff I bought?

If you think I bought the stuff thinking the equipment would make me sound better your crazy. Phone Post
2/9/13 4:45 PM
JediJitsu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just picked up a Yamaha P 105 an hour ago! I'm psyched! Time to learn me some piano. Phone Post
2/9/13 4:56 PM
viorage

JediJitsu - I just picked up a Yamaha P 105 an hour ago! I'm psyched! Time to learn me some piano. Phone Post
Good luck and have FUN!!! Phone Post
2/9/13 4:57 PM
TexDeuce
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the hell? Why are y'all giving OP so much grief over buying a few nice things in addition to the guitar? I've been playing the guitar for years and maily just stick with acoustic and don't have a lot of "gear", but who gives a fuck.
2/9/13 5:51 PM
theseanster

TexDeuce - What the hell? Why are y'all giving OP so much grief over buying a few nice things in addition to the guitar? I've been playing the guitar for years and maily just stick with acoustic and don't have a lot of "gear", but who gives a fuck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

2/9/13 5:53 PM
sewich

sewich - 
sewich - 
JoeBunn -

My made in England Marshall JCM 2000 was 150 on craigslist. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference fren. Lamb of god isn't tone, it's mud and chunk, we are talking about a clean player in SRV. Tone is in ze fingers, we can agree to disagree

That jcm 2000 is not a 150 dollar amp it was nearly a 1000 new and still sell used for 600-700, You got a great deal on it don't really see how that proves any point but I'm going to let this die. Phone Post
2/10/13 12:05 AM

Edited: 02/10/13 12:04 AM

I see your point as well, as long as we all play a piece of wood with six strings we are in this together! Tom Morello plays a standard tele on most Rage recordings (in addition to arm the homeless) and they are heavy as shit

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.