UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

2/10/13 1:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JediJitsu
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
JediJitsu - I just picked up a Yamaha P 105 an hour ago! I'm psyched! Time to learn me some piano. Phone Post
Good luck and have FUN!!! Phone Post
Thanks man. I suck right now, but I won't give up. I know this is a guitar thread but it inspired me to make a purchase I've been putting off for awhile. Phone Post
2/10/13 12:43 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JediJitsu - 
viorage -
JediJitsu - I just picked up a Yamaha P 105 an hour ago! I'm psyched! Time to learn me some piano. Phone Post
Thanks man. I suck right now, but I won't give up. I know this is a guitar thread but it inspired me to make a purchase I've been putting off for awhile. Phone Post

at least youre not the tapout guy.  I suck as well but im having fun.  Post your progress Im interested in hearing or reading about it.

A lot of people on here have drove me away from posting progress and Im trying to figure out how to record stuff now, but for now Im keeping everything to myself.

2/10/13 1:23 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich -
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips -
sewich - 
JoeBunn -
viorage - OMG. Just figured out something. I'm the guy who comes to for the first time and shows up with all the gear in the world when us guys who have been doing it forever show up with torn up shorts a t-shirt and a mouthpiece.

Holy shit I'm the tapout guy. FFS. Okay let's let this thread die please I'm really embarrassed now Phone Post
Yes, you are. I've been playing the instrument for well over 20 years and I use one guitar and one amp 90% of the time. All you do is look for things to buy instead of things to learn and master. The tone comes from the fingers. Phone Post
Actually tone is primarily guitar and amp. Could someone like Stevie ray vaughn pick up a 100 dollar squire guitar and play it through a cheap 50 dollar solid state amp and play really well? Yes of coarse but it will have a completely different sound than his vintage fender strat played though his fender vibroluxes. Phone Post

Stevie could play the JV strat and a 150 dollar tube amp and blow the shit out of anyone with thousands in gear. Tone is all in the fingers. Slash sounds like slash on anything, Jimi sounds like Jimi on anything, Brian Setzer would sound like Brian Setzer on anything. They all get/got paid to play the gear they do

If you think a 150 dollar Chinese made tube amp will give the same sound as a vintage fender virbolux you are mistaken

Its not just marketing these Amps have a very specific sound just like the difference between Mesa boogie dual rectifiers and marshall jcm. Both get the job done but both also have very distinct sounds.
Tone is tone and skill is skill. You can play skillfully on any type of gear but not all gear will give the same tone. Take a telecaster and fender tweed deluxe and try to get a lamb of god tone from it, all the skill in the world won't make it happen. Phone Post
Change out the Chinese tubes for vintage NOS or even JJ tubes and you would be surprised how good some of those cheap low wattage Chinese made tube amps can sound

Tone really is in the fingers.

Same with cheap Chinese made guitars. Get a good setup on it and it can be very comparable to way more expensive ones.

Robotic mass production can actually yield very consistent quality. Phone Post
2/10/13 2:11 PM
Paperboy2000
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips - 

I see your point as well, as long as we all play a piece of wood with six strings we are in this together! Tom Morello plays a standard tele on most Rage recordings (in addition to arm the homeless) and they are heavy as shit

That heavy sound is accomplished in the studio with multi-layered recording. 8 Teles will sound a lot heavier than one Les Paul.

And for the people who "truly believe" that "tone is in the fingers" and equipment doesn't make a difference, I highly recommend that you consult your doctor along with sound samples. Your aural senses have been damaged.

And lastly, OP, not a single fuck should be given about the criticism.
2/10/13 2:42 PM
Paperboy2000
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sal, I had a Jackson RR5 for a while and really liked it. Jackson necks are pretty amazing. But if you haven't played Ernie Ball - do that first. :)
2/10/13 2:52 PM
JediJitsu
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
JediJitsu - 
viorage -

at least youre not the tapout guy.  I suck as well but im having fun.  Post your progress Im interested in hearing or reading about it.

A lot of people on here have drove me away from posting progress and Im trying to figure out how to record stuff now, but for now Im keeping everything to myself.

I will post progress, and I agree that people are absolute cunts on this site. I received a vote down for this post about buying the piano.. People are fucking weird. Phone Post
2/10/13 3:11 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KDK1CallingKDK12 -
sewich -
sewich - 
JoeBunn -
viorage - OMG. Just figured out something. I'm the guy who comes to for the first time and shows up with all the gear in the world when us guys who have been doing it forever show up with torn up shorts a t-shirt and a mouthpiece.

Holy shit I'm the tapout guy. FFS. Okay let's let this thread die please I'm really embarrassed now Phone Post
Yes, you are. I've been playing the instrument for well over 20 years and I use one guitar and one amp 90% of the time. All you do is look for things to buy instead of things to learn and master. The tone comes from the fingers. Phone Post
Actually tone is primarily guitar and amp. Could someone like Stevie ray vaughn pick up a 100 dollar squire guitar and play it through a cheap 50 dollar solid state amp and play really well? Yes of coarse but it will have a completely different sound than his vintage fender strat played though his fender vibroluxes. Phone Post

Stevie could play the JV strat and a 150 dollar tube amp and blow the shit out of anyone with thousands in gear. Tone is all in the fingers. Slash sounds like slash on anything, Jimi sounds like Jimi on anything, Brian Setzer would sound like Brian Setzer on anything. They all get/got paid to play the gear they do

If you think a 150 dollar Chinese made tube amp will give the same sound as a vintage fender virbolux you are mistaken

Its not just marketing these Amps have a very specific sound just like the difference between Mesa boogie dual rectifiers and marshall jcm. Both get the job done but both also have very distinct sounds.
Tone is tone and skill is skill. You can play skillfully on any type of gear but not all gear will give the same tone. Take a telecaster and fender tweed deluxe and try to get a lamb of god tone from it, all the skill in the world won't make it happen. Phone Post
Change out the Chinese tubes for vintage NOS or even JJ tubes and you would be surprised how good some of those cheap low wattage Chinese made tube amps can sound

Tone really is in the fingers.

Same with cheap Chinese made guitars. Get a good setup on it and it can be very comparable to way more expensive ones.

Robotic mass production can actually yield very consistent quality. Phone Post
I put in ruby's are those okay? Phone Post
2/10/13 3:13 PM
viorage

Well my guitar is sounding like crap and keeps going out of tune. Time to change out the strings.

First time doing this so wish me luck Phone Post
2/10/13 3:14 PM
viorage

I was rocking Metallica this morning. I picked that riff up really quick. I was using the riot distortion and the wah. Sounded amazing Phone Post
2/10/13 3:15 PM
viorage

I'm drunk and at a funeral sorry guys for the spamming. I'm bored a fuck Phone Post
2/10/13 3:19 PM
viorage

JediJitsu -
viorage -
JediJitsu - 
viorage -

I will post progress, and I agree that people are absolute cunts on this site. I received a vote down for this post about buying the piano.. People are fucking weird. Phone Post
Yeah they completely made me fell like shit and like I was doing something bad. But I'm having a lot of fun. So fuck em. I practice my ass off read theory as much as possible so whatever I am who I am Phone Post
2/10/13 3:33 PM
Christ Crapped in My Fish and Chips
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paperboy2000 - 

I see your point as well, as long as we all play a piece of wood with six strings we are in this together! Tom Morello plays a standard tele on most Rage recordings (in addition to arm the homeless) and they are heavy as shit

That heavy sound is accomplished in the studio with multi-layered recording. 8 Teles will sound a lot heavier than one Les Paul.

And for the people who "truly believe" that "tone is in the fingers" and equipment doesn't make a difference, I highly recommend that you consult your doctor along with sound samples. Your aural senses have been damaged.

He plays a tele live as well, merp. Distortion isn't about touch or fingers at all, that's not what we are talking about with tone in the fingers. Anyone can turn up distortion and wank off and all sound the same. We are talking about actual guitar playing

2/10/13 4:31 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

Paperboy2000 - 

He plays a tele live as well, merp. Distortion isn't about touch or fingers at all, that's not what we are talking about with tone in the fingers. Anyone can turn up distortion and wank off and all sound the same. We are talking about actual guitar playing

True. There's so much going on with a really good player. Pick attack, timing, dynamics, fluidity, swing..etc that only talent and years of practice can obtain.

Dan from the Black Keys uses lawsuit guitars and old cheap 70's guitars like teisco del rays.

Jimmy Page used Danelectros on some of the albums and live.

Here's a great vid of Eric Johnson playing through a shitty ass Fender G-DEC combo amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCF267KHEPg Phone Post
2/10/13 4:32 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

Paperboy2000 - 

True. There's so much going on with a really good player. Pick attack, timing, dynamics, fluidity, swing..etc that only talent and years of practice can obtain.

Dan from the Black Keys uses lawsuit guitars and old cheap 70's guitars like teisco del rays.

Jimmy Page used Danelectros on some of the albums and live.

Here's a great vid of Eric Johnson playing through a shitty ass Fender G-DEC combo amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCF267KHEPg Phone Post
2/10/13 4:44 PM
Paperboy2000

LOL, merp is correct :-)

My last post on this particular point.

Pick attack and all those things will affect tone, of course.

BUT, as example - take a Les Paul. Keep everything else the same but swap out the 498t in the bridge for a 500t, all of a sudden your tone is hotter. Swap it out for a burstbucker pro, all of a sudden your tone is brighter. Swap it out for a Dimarzio tone zone, all of a sudden your tone has more low end. Etc, etc, etc....
2/10/13 4:44 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

Haha here's another awesome vid of Joe Satriani playing 'surfing with the alien' with a knock off pig nose guitar and a peavey backstage 30 and a digitech rp 200 he

It still sounds EXACTLY like the record.

http://youtu.be/D9v5e1TTwts Phone Post
2/10/13 4:58 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

Paperboy2000 - LOL, merp is correct :-)

BUT, as example - take a Les Paul. Keep everything else the same but swap out the 498t in the bridge for a 500t, all of a sudden your tone is hotter. Swap it out for a burstbucker pro, all of a sudden your tone is brighter. Swap it out for a Dimarzio tone zone, all of a sudden your tone has more low end. Etc, etc, etc....
As far as pickup swaps more often than not you can get the same subtle differences in tone by adjusting the volume knob on your guitar and adjusting the tone controls on your amp.

In that Satriani video Satch is using a single coil pickup on a $100 guitar and still sounds like the humbucker guitar he used on the record.

I'm not saying gear doesn't make differences but gear acquisition can easily be a crutch. Phone Post
2/10/13 5:03 PM
Forrest Gimp

Ordered me an Ibanez RG350QMZ and iPad this weekend. Will set it up with the guitar-connector and JamUp-app. Saw JamUp for the first time ever this weekend. To say a lot has happened since I last played an electric guitar is an understatement ...
2/10/13 5:17 PM
Paperboy2000

Chareth Cutestory - 
KDK1CallingKDK12 -  Haha here's another awesome vid of Joe Satriani playing 'surfing with the alien' with a knock off pig nose guitar and a peavey backstage 30 and a digitech rp 200 he

For the tards that think tone is not in the fingers, notice how he got the classic Satriani tone on single coils instead of his usual humbuckers.

RIP your ears.

He's on the neck pickup to thicken as much as possible. Still thinner than a humbucker.
2/10/13 6:15 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

Paperboy2000 -
Chareth Cutestory - 
KDK1CallingKDK12 -  Haha here's another awesome vid of Joe Satriani playing 'surfing with the alien' with a knock off pig nose guitar and a peavey backstage 30 and a digitech rp 200 he

For the tards that think tone is not in the fingers, notice how he got the classic Satriani tone on single coils instead of his usual humbuckers.

RIP your ears.

He's on the neck pickup to thicken as much as possible. Still thinner than a humbucker.
Holy denial Phone Post
2/10/13 7:31 PM
JediJitsu

viorage -
JediJitsu -
viorage -
JediJitsu - 
viorage -

Yeah they completely made me fell like shit and like I was doing something bad. But I'm having a lot of fun. So fuck em. I practice my ass off read theory as much as possible so whatever I am who I am Phone Post
Haters gonna hate.

If you have the $, who gives a damn? Jealous people are jealous. Phone Post
2/10/13 8:11 PM
nogidavid
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KDK1CallingKDK12 - 
Paperboy2000 -
Chareth Cutestory - 

RIP your ears.

Holy denial Phone Post

his tone is awful in this video????

2/10/13 9:36 PM
viorage

Just booked some BB King tickets!! Phone Post
2/10/13 9:58 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

KDK1CallingKDK12 - 
Paperboy2000 - LOL, merp is correct :-)

As far as pickup swaps more often than not you can get the same subtle differences in tone by adjusting the volume knob on your guitar and adjusting the tone controls on your amp.

In that Satriani video Satch is using a single coil pickup on a $100 guitar and still sounds like the humbucker guitar he used on the record.

I'm not saying gear doesn't make differences but gear acquisition can easily be a crutch. Phone Post

You have enough versatility in the 3 single coil strat kind of configuration to get humbucker type tones. You don't get that versatility going the other way trying to shape bright single coil tones with a dual humbuckers.
2/11/13 8:47 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

Ttt Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.