UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/10/13 5:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Paperboy2000
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chareth Cutestory - 
KDK1CallingKDK12 -  Haha here's another awesome vid of Joe Satriani playing 'surfing with the alien' with a knock off pig nose guitar and a peavey backstage 30 and a digitech rp 200 he

It still sounds EXACTLY like the record.

http://youtu.be/D9v5e1TTwts Phone Post

For the tards that think tone is not in the fingers, notice how he got the classic Satriani tone on single coils instead of his usual humbuckers.

RIP your ears.

He's on the neck pickup to thicken as much as possible. Still thinner than a humbucker.
2/10/13 6:15 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paperboy2000 -
Chareth Cutestory - 
KDK1CallingKDK12 -  Haha here's another awesome vid of Joe Satriani playing 'surfing with the alien' with a knock off pig nose guitar and a peavey backstage 30 and a digitech rp 200 he

It still sounds EXACTLY like the record.

http://youtu.be/D9v5e1TTwts Phone Post

For the tards that think tone is not in the fingers, notice how he got the classic Satriani tone on single coils instead of his usual humbuckers.

RIP your ears.

He's on the neck pickup to thicken as much as possible. Still thinner than a humbucker.
Holy denial Phone Post
2/10/13 7:31 PM
JediJitsu
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
JediJitsu -
viorage -
JediJitsu - 
viorage -
JediJitsu - I just picked up a Yamaha P 105 an hour ago! I'm psyched! Time to learn me some piano. Phone Post
Good luck and have FUN!!! Phone Post
Thanks man. I suck right now, but I won't give up. I know this is a guitar thread but it inspired me to make a purchase I've been putting off for awhile. Phone Post

at least youre not the tapout guy.  I suck as well but im having fun.  Post your progress Im interested in hearing or reading about it.

A lot of people on here have drove me away from posting progress and Im trying to figure out how to record stuff now, but for now Im keeping everything to myself.

I will post progress, and I agree that people are absolute cunts on this site. I received a vote down for this post about buying the piano.. People are fucking weird. Phone Post
Yeah they completely made me fell like shit and like I was doing something bad. But I'm having a lot of fun. So fuck em. I practice my ass off read theory as much as possible so whatever I am who I am Phone Post
Haters gonna hate.

If you have the $, who gives a damn? Jealous people are jealous. Phone Post
2/10/13 9:36 PM
viorage
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just booked some BB King tickets!! Phone Post
2/10/13 9:58 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

KDK1CallingKDK12 - 
Paperboy2000 - LOL, merp is correct :-)

My last post on this particular point.

Pick attack and all those things will affect tone, of course.

BUT, as example - take a Les Paul. Keep everything else the same but swap out the 498t in the bridge for a 500t, all of a sudden your tone is hotter. Swap it out for a burstbucker pro, all of a sudden your tone is brighter. Swap it out for a Dimarzio tone zone, all of a sudden your tone has more low end. Etc, etc, etc....
As far as pickup swaps more often than not you can get the same subtle differences in tone by adjusting the volume knob on your guitar and adjusting the tone controls on your amp.

In that Satriani video Satch is using a single coil pickup on a $100 guitar and still sounds like the humbucker guitar he used on the record.

I'm not saying gear doesn't make differences but gear acquisition can easily be a crutch. Phone Post

You have enough versatility in the 3 single coil strat kind of configuration to get humbucker type tones. You don't get that versatility going the other way trying to shape bright single coil tones with a dual humbuckers.
2/11/13 8:47 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

Ttt Phone Post
2/11/13 9:09 PM
sewich
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paperboy2000 - Sal, I had a Jackson RR5 for a while and really liked it. Jackson necks are pretty amazing. But if you haven't played Ernie Ball - do that first. :)
I have a Jackson soloist and I can testify to their necks being awesome. Played ibanezs prior with the wizard II and like the Jackson necks a lot more. Phone Post
2/11/13 9:32 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich -
Paperboy2000 - Sal, I had a Jackson RR5 for a while and really liked it. Jackson necks are pretty amazing. But if you haven't played Ernie Ball - do that first. :)
I have a Jackson soloist and I can testify to their necks being awesome. Played ibanezs prior with the wizard II and like the Jackson necks a lot more. Phone Post
Do Floyd Roses drive you guys nuts (setups/getting them in tune initially) or do you get used to them eventually?

I have a Charvel So Cal that is a killer guitar but I hate the floyd. Most of my guitars are hard tail or fender trem...this was my first one with a floyd. I'm not much of a whammy user so it's more of a pain than it's worth so far - awesome neck on the guitar though so I'm hanging onto it. Phone Post
2/11/13 10:09 PM
Paperboy2000
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I don't like floyds at all and wont buy them. Locking tuners with vintage trem (fender style) is the way to go. Musicmans and G&Ls stay in tune forever and you can replace a broken string in under a minute. Try that with a floyd.
2/11/13 10:20 PM
BenBJJ
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have a Floyd on my ESP Horizon. I literally cannot make it go out of tune. Worth the little bit of time it take to set it up correctly.
2/11/13 10:21 PM
BenBJJ
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/12/13 7:35 AM
sewich
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life -
sewich -
Do Floyd Roses drive you guys nuts (setups/getting them in tune initially) or do you get used to them eventually?

I have a Charvel So Cal that is a killer guitar but I hate the floyd. Most of my guitars are hard tail or fender trem...this was my first one with a floyd. I'm not much of a whammy user so it's more of a pain than it's worth so far - awesome neck on the guitar though so I'm hanging onto it. Phone Post
Its a love hate relationship for me

Replacing strings with the same gauge strings and same tuning is fine and a non issue.

Replacing strings with a different gauge or tuning down a step = WHY THE FUCK WONT YOU JUST LEVEL OUT YOU MOTHERFUCKING BRIDGE.

Tge last time I changed to a heavier gauge for down tuning it took probably 2 hours to get shit right and another 2 to get back to normal after I grew tired if the down tune. I do like the ability to go to drop d with the fine tuners on the bridge. Phone Post
2/12/13 8:00 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

I don't like tremolo bridges at all and don't use them in my playing and gave away the one guitar I had that had one.

Cue standard keyboard guitar hero response "that's okay, not everybody can be good at guitar hurr". Just shit on everybody that plays SGs, Telecasters, Les Pauls, most archtops, etc.
2/12/13 1:55 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome - I don't like tremolo bridges at all and don't use them in my playing and gave away the one guitar I had that had one.

Cue standard keyboard guitar hero response "that's okay, not everybody can be good at guitar hurr". Just shit on everybody that plays SGs, Telecasters, Les Pauls, most archtops, etc.

I don't think we necessarily have that level of guitar douche here on the OG. If we were debating in a YouTube comments section or maybe on ultimate-guitar, yeah we'd have plenty of that going on.

As for me, I had the floating trem in my Ibanez blocked on both sides a few years ago and I don't regret it one bit. In fact it almost seemed at the time like it increased the guitar's sustain but it's been so long now that I don't recall whether or not that's accurate.
2/12/13 2:19 PM
DonkeyKick215
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome - I don't like tremolo bridges at all and don't use them in my playing and gave away the one guitar I had that had one.

Whammy bars suck. If you break a string all other strings are out of tune. If you bend a half step or whole step, your open strings go flat.

The 2 whammy equipped guitars I do have (91 american standard strat & Peavey Patriot) are decked with a block of wood between the body and bridge
2/12/13 8:42 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Ryan Wood - 

I don't think we necessarily have that level of guitar douche here on the OG. If we were debating in a YouTube comments section or maybe on ultimate-guitar, yeah we'd have plenty of that going on.

As for me, I had the floating trem in my Ibanez blocked on both sides a few years ago and I don't regret it one bit. In fact it almost seemed at the time like it increased the guitar's sustain but it's been so long now that I don't recall whether or not that's accurate.

We have them here.

Whenever someone asks for opinions on which guitar to buy or about a particular second hand guitar from Ebay or Craigslist for learning with and it has a tremolo bridge, someone will point out that a fixed bridge might be better for a beginner some retard chime in with it.
2/12/13 9:53 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome - 
Ryan Wood - 

We have them here.

Whenever someone asks for opinions on which guitar to buy or about a particular second hand guitar from Ebay or Craigslist for learning with and it has a tremolo bridge, someone will point out that a fixed bridge might be better for a beginner some retard chime in with it.

Really? Damn, no escaping that kind of response I guess.
2/12/13 10:16 PM
Mako_
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to play a music man LukeIII in the worst way imaginable.

Has anyone sat down with one?
2/12/13 10:41 PM
BenBJJ

DonkeyKick215 - 

Whammy bars suck. If you break a string all other strings are out of tune. If you bend a half step or whole step, your open strings go flat.

The 2 whammy equipped guitars I do have (91 american standard strat & Peavey Patriot) are decked with a block of wood between the body and bridge

Bullshit. Its damn near impossible to make my guitar go out of tune.

It depends what you are playing. If you are playing old man river blues, then dont use a whammy. If you are playing many types of metal... a fucking whammy is great!

To say they suck is imbecilic.
2/12/13 10:42 PM
BenBJJ

GIFSoup
2/12/13 11:01 PM
sewich

Mako_ - I want to play a music man LukeIII in the worst way imaginable.

I played a music man pettrucci model last time I was at my shop and I fell in love. Phone Post
2/13/13 9:06 AM
Jacks Wasted Life
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich -

I played a music man pettrucci model last time I was at my shop and I fell in love. Phone Post
Do these have a really flat radius? I thought I remembered reading they have a 16 or 20" radius...could be wrong.

I don't think I could get on with a fretboard that flat. I have guitars ranging from 9.5 - 14.5" and for me the 12" radius on my Gibsons and Charvel are the most comfortable. Phone Post
2/13/13 10:51 AM
Mako_
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life - 
sewich -

Do these have a really flat radius? I thought I remembered reading they have a 16 or 20" radius...could be wrong.

I don't think I could get on with a fretboard that flat. I have guitars ranging from 9.5 - 14.5" and for me the 12" radius on my Gibsons and Charvel are the most comfortable. Phone Post

I have the same questions, that's why I'd really like to try the LukeIII. It's a full rosewood neck as well with a gunoil type finish, it just looks like a dream to play.

Unfortunately there isn't a shop anywhere near me that has one.
2/14/13 9:47 PM
Jacks Wasted Life

The Petrucci has a 15" radius and the Luke III has a 12".

I've never played a baritone guitar. Are they still 6 strings, just a longer scale and tuned lower? Phone Post
2/15/13 12:15 AM
Ryan Wood

Jacks Wasted Life -  The Petrucci has a 15" radius and the Luke III has a 12".

I've never played a baritone guitar. Are they still 6 strings, just a longer scale and tuned lower? Phone Post

I'm sure there are 7 and/or 8 string variations along with 6s but yeah, longer scale and I guess more capable of being stable in lower tunings.

Random fact: James Hetfield had ESP make him a custom baritone V (I think it was a V) for St.Anger but I don't think it was ever made available to the public.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.