UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/12/13 7:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sewich
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life -
sewich -
Paperboy2000 - Sal, I had a Jackson RR5 for a while and really liked it. Jackson necks are pretty amazing. But if you haven't played Ernie Ball - do that first. :)
I have a Jackson soloist and I can testify to their necks being awesome. Played ibanezs prior with the wizard II and like the Jackson necks a lot more. Phone Post
Do Floyd Roses drive you guys nuts (setups/getting them in tune initially) or do you get used to them eventually?

I have a Charvel So Cal that is a killer guitar but I hate the floyd. Most of my guitars are hard tail or fender trem...this was my first one with a floyd. I'm not much of a whammy user so it's more of a pain than it's worth so far - awesome neck on the guitar though so I'm hanging onto it. Phone Post
Its a love hate relationship for me

Replacing strings with the same gauge strings and same tuning is fine and a non issue.

Replacing strings with a different gauge or tuning down a step = WHY THE FUCK WONT YOU JUST LEVEL OUT YOU MOTHERFUCKING BRIDGE.

Tge last time I changed to a heavier gauge for down tuning it took probably 2 hours to get shit right and another 2 to get back to normal after I grew tired if the down tune. I do like the ability to go to drop d with the fine tuners on the bridge. Phone Post
2/12/13 8:00 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't like tremolo bridges at all and don't use them in my playing and gave away the one guitar I had that had one.

Cue standard keyboard guitar hero response "that's okay, not everybody can be good at guitar hurr". Just shit on everybody that plays SGs, Telecasters, Les Pauls, most archtops, etc.
2/12/13 1:55 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome - I don't like tremolo bridges at all and don't use them in my playing and gave away the one guitar I had that had one.

Cue standard keyboard guitar hero response "that's okay, not everybody can be good at guitar hurr". Just shit on everybody that plays SGs, Telecasters, Les Pauls, most archtops, etc.

I don't think we necessarily have that level of guitar douche here on the OG. If we were debating in a YouTube comments section or maybe on ultimate-guitar, yeah we'd have plenty of that going on.

As for me, I had the floating trem in my Ibanez blocked on both sides a few years ago and I don't regret it one bit. In fact it almost seemed at the time like it increased the guitar's sustain but it's been so long now that I don't recall whether or not that's accurate.
2/12/13 2:19 PM
DonkeyKick215
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome - I don't like tremolo bridges at all and don't use them in my playing and gave away the one guitar I had that had one.

Whammy bars suck. If you break a string all other strings are out of tune. If you bend a half step or whole step, your open strings go flat.

The 2 whammy equipped guitars I do have (91 american standard strat & Peavey Patriot) are decked with a block of wood between the body and bridge
2/12/13 8:42 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Wood - 

I don't think we necessarily have that level of guitar douche here on the OG. If we were debating in a YouTube comments section or maybe on ultimate-guitar, yeah we'd have plenty of that going on.

As for me, I had the floating trem in my Ibanez blocked on both sides a few years ago and I don't regret it one bit. In fact it almost seemed at the time like it increased the guitar's sustain but it's been so long now that I don't recall whether or not that's accurate.

We have them here.

Whenever someone asks for opinions on which guitar to buy or about a particular second hand guitar from Ebay or Craigslist for learning with and it has a tremolo bridge, someone will point out that a fixed bridge might be better for a beginner some retard chime in with it.
2/12/13 9:53 PM
Ryan Wood

Invisible Lats Syndrome - 
Ryan Wood - 

We have them here.

Whenever someone asks for opinions on which guitar to buy or about a particular second hand guitar from Ebay or Craigslist for learning with and it has a tremolo bridge, someone will point out that a fixed bridge might be better for a beginner some retard chime in with it.

Really? Damn, no escaping that kind of response I guess.
2/12/13 10:16 PM
Mako_
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to play a music man LukeIII in the worst way imaginable.

Has anyone sat down with one?
2/12/13 10:41 PM
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DonkeyKick215 - 

Whammy bars suck. If you break a string all other strings are out of tune. If you bend a half step or whole step, your open strings go flat.

The 2 whammy equipped guitars I do have (91 american standard strat & Peavey Patriot) are decked with a block of wood between the body and bridge

Bullshit. Its damn near impossible to make my guitar go out of tune.

It depends what you are playing. If you are playing old man river blues, then dont use a whammy. If you are playing many types of metal... a fucking whammy is great!

To say they suck is imbecilic.
2/12/13 10:42 PM
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GIFSoup
2/12/13 11:01 PM
sewich

Mako_ - I want to play a music man LukeIII in the worst way imaginable.

I played a music man pettrucci model last time I was at my shop and I fell in love. Phone Post
2/13/13 9:06 AM
Jacks Wasted Life
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich -

I played a music man pettrucci model last time I was at my shop and I fell in love. Phone Post
Do these have a really flat radius? I thought I remembered reading they have a 16 or 20" radius...could be wrong.

I don't think I could get on with a fretboard that flat. I have guitars ranging from 9.5 - 14.5" and for me the 12" radius on my Gibsons and Charvel are the most comfortable. Phone Post
2/13/13 10:51 AM
Mako_
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life - 
sewich -

Do these have a really flat radius? I thought I remembered reading they have a 16 or 20" radius...could be wrong.

I don't think I could get on with a fretboard that flat. I have guitars ranging from 9.5 - 14.5" and for me the 12" radius on my Gibsons and Charvel are the most comfortable. Phone Post

I have the same questions, that's why I'd really like to try the LukeIII. It's a full rosewood neck as well with a gunoil type finish, it just looks like a dream to play.

Unfortunately there isn't a shop anywhere near me that has one.
2/13/13 4:19 PM
nogidavid
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone played the robb flynn epiphone flying V baritone guitar?

2/14/13 9:47 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Petrucci has a 15" radius and the Luke III has a 12".

I've never played a baritone guitar. Are they still 6 strings, just a longer scale and tuned lower? Phone Post
2/15/13 12:15 AM
Ryan Wood

Jacks Wasted Life -  The Petrucci has a 15" radius and the Luke III has a 12".

I've never played a baritone guitar. Are they still 6 strings, just a longer scale and tuned lower? Phone Post

I'm sure there are 7 and/or 8 string variations along with 6s but yeah, longer scale and I guess more capable of being stable in lower tunings.

Random fact: James Hetfield had ESP make him a custom baritone V (I think it was a V) for St.Anger but I don't think it was ever made available to the public.
2/15/13 1:16 PM
viorage
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thought this was pretty cool.  probably old news to you vets

2/15/13 1:19 PM
viorage
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for some reason I have always enjoyed the street musicians

2/15/13 1:42 PM
viorage

Edited: 02/15/13 1:43 PM

edit* figured it out

2/16/13 12:39 PM
viorage

Chareth Cutestory - Check out this street musician:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTdA6VJDCsI
Okay once I get my computer going again Phone Post
2/16/13 10:42 PM
theseanster
342 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/16/13 10:54 PM

How's the guitar going? I'm diggin the change from guitar to keyboard. I still suck, but not too bad for just starting a few days after Christmas.

What do you think?

2/18/13 11:05 PM
Paperboy2000
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seanster, for less than 2 months I find that crazy impressive!
2/19/13 12:47 AM
TexDeuce
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds good Seanster, keep it up. This thread got me back to playing my guitar. Have the callouses back on the fingers and it feels good man. Phone Post
2/19/13 1:03 AM
viorage

theseanster -

How's the guitar going? I'm diggin the change from guitar to keyboard. I still suck, but not too bad for just starting a few days after Christmas.

What do you think?

Ill check that out tomorrow.

I think it's time for me to change the strings out. Guitar is going out of time pretty quick and it kinda sounds shitty. I'm hoping that's the problem anyway.

I was moving and my amp fell over now it makes a weird noise when I tap a string. Did I break a tube or something? They are all lot up and it still sounds good but that noise is annoying. Phone Post
2/19/13 2:27 PM
theseanster
342 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/19/13 2:27 PM

Thanks guys that means a lot, I'm really down on myself for not being able to get the timing right, but hopefully after a while it gets easier. Also, I totally fail at Cubase! I got a copy with my keyboard and every time i got to record something the effects on my keyboard end up triple in effect...like all of a sudden there's extra chorus, reverb, etc and it throws me off when I play....then I export the wav and I hear no effects...so I have no clue what I'm doing. I think I need a new software that's simpler, for dummies or something.

When I started taking lessons in Jan, my teacher said to make sure I practice with my left hand and I told her, hey I'm left hand dominant because I played on a guitar for 20 years. Then ripped out some notes up and down the keyboard left hand, sounds great. Piano is right hand for melodies, which as you guitarst know.....imagine all of a sudden you are playing guitar with your right hand....that's what it feels like. So I can kind of "piano shred" but it's like I'm re-learning hammer-ons with my right hand. It's weird as hell.

Starting to learn some new floyd songs. Man I love Richard Wright's playing

2/22/13 6:31 PM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch me finger a minor.

My new song/video is done! Come check it out-metal Video Thread 
(16) [191] by MentaL

check it out! 

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.