UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

11/23/12 1:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

here are the programs I have downloaded so far

guitar pro 5 and 6

blues guitar for absolute beginners

john petrucci rock discipline

learn and master guitar complete series

guitar for dummies (i know)

what else am I missing

11/23/12 1:21 PM
viorage
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im working this excersice right now, my pinky is fucking me!!!

11/23/12 1:23 PM
viorage

can you play in the middle of the frets.  so lets say im at E5 if I push the string betweenE4-5 is that the same as hitting the E5 on the fret?

11/23/12 1:57 PM
jkennedy
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
Chimonos Revenge -  ^^ other blues artists I mean Phone Post

a quick list, buddy guy, bb king, stevie ray, john lee hooker, albert king, jonny lang, bo diddley

The Robert Johnson guitar anthology is a good place to start since most people have copied him over the years. Be patient though cause it is deceptively hard. Phone Post
11/23/12 2:02 PM
Johan Von Brügermëister
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Throw out that line 6 peice of garbage and get a real amp with tubes and shit Phone Post
11/23/12 2:14 PM
johnonguitar7

To "fret" or hold down a note you want to depress the string just behind (towards the head end of the guitar) the fret you wish to sound.

If you press down directly on top of the fret (the metal thing is the fret) you will get a "dead" or buzzy sound.

Likewise if you press down too far behind the fret you are likely to experience a buzzing sound from the string.

Try to press just behind the fret for the clearest sound.

Also, only apply enough pressure to make the string ring out. You do not need to man handle the guitar although at first it will feel like that. As your hand grows stronger you will be able to use less force (which is desirable for many reasons such as hand cramps, RSI and accidentally raising the pitch (highness or lowness of a note)).

Have fun, it will come together over time. Practice and time spent on the instrument will reveal answer to questions you haven't even asked yet.

95% of learning will be done through repetition and playing with answers "appearing" to you.

For instance, you could tell someone how to triangle an opponent but until they have had a "feel" of the different pressures to apply and tiny adjustments to be made they won't be able to do it! Phone Post
11/23/12 2:15 PM
johnonguitar7

Johan Von Brügermëister - Throw out that line 6 peice of garbage and get a real amp with tubes and shit Phone Post
Don't do this. It won't help you at the moment.

You have everything you need and much much much more.

Trust in your equipment. It's fine. It's you that sucks :) Phone Post
11/23/12 2:17 PM
viorage

JkdSam - 
viorage - 

can you play in the middle of the frets.  so lets say im at E5 if I push the string betweenE4-5 is that the same as hitting the E5 on the fret?

You don't play on the frets. You push the string down between them. The 5th fret would be the space before the actual 5th fret.

ok i kinda figured that out fiddling around on the folsom state prison tab

11/23/12 2:21 PM
viorage

johnonguitar7 - 
Johan Von Brügermëister - Throw out that line 6 peice of garbage and get a real amp with tubes and shit Phone Post

thanks for the fret advice it sounds much better now.  Also the guy who had the guitar previously has his string really high, forget the name for that.  He says I need to lower them, I need to go have that taken care of asap.  My strings look to be about an 1/8" above the frets

11/23/12 2:22 PM
johnonguitar7

viorage -

here are the programs I have downloaded so far

guitar pro 5 and 6

blues guitar for absolute beginners

john petrucci rock discipline

learn and master guitar complete series

guitar for dummies (i know)

what else am I missing

I would consider looking for a good guitar teacher, even of its just to show you the ropes for a few lessons.

It can be invaluable, especially for someone just starting out.

All of the videos and programmes you have downloaded are great for certain thing but the very best thing you can do is probably to have some basic lessons. Not all budding musicians are lucky enough to come from musical families that are able to give pointers to new starts! Phone Post
11/23/12 2:23 PM
viorage

Johan Von Brügermëister -  Throw out that line 6 peice of garbage and get a real amp with tubes and shit Phone Post

you are the only one I havent voted up on this thread.  I already said that once I can play a little Im going to get a "real amp"  which I have no idea what that is at this point.

11/23/12 2:26 PM
viorage

this is the guy I am going to have teach me.  its the guy singing

11/23/12 2:26 PM
johnonguitar7

viorage -
johnonguitar7 - 

thanks for the fret advice it sounds much better now.  Also the guy who had the guitar previously has his string really high, forget the name for that.  He says I need to lower them, I need to go have that taken care of asap.  My strings look to be about an 1/8" above the frets

The height of the strings above the frets on a guitar is referred to as the "action".

Action can be heightened or lowered by a "setup".

I obviously cannot tell of your guitar needs a set up or not and obviously the lower the string the "easier" it is to play at the beginning but beware:

You will get a lot of good advice which may actually be worthless. Guitar-Internet world is over saturated and EVERYONE knows something about guitar... That may or not be correct.

Just remember that plenty of greats learned on absolute pieces of shit... Without instructions... Or teachers....

All they did was drop their preconceptions, use their EARS and practice their asses off! Phone Post
11/23/12 2:27 PM
johnonguitar7

viorage -

this is the guy I am going to have teach me.  its the guy singing

That's a good idea :) Phone Post
11/23/12 2:28 PM
viorage

^^^^ let me know what you think,  He loves playing the blues guitar

11/23/12 2:31 PM
Stache
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is awesome.

I've wanted to take up the guitar forever. Had a few lessons when I was 12 but didn't like practicing so I gave up. Still have that old cheap acoustic guitar. Maybe I'll give it another shot!
11/23/12 2:31 PM
viorage

Im trying to learn as much as I can before I set up a session with him so he doesn't have to waste time telling me what the action is, or where the E ADGBe chords are and how to read what fret goes with what chord.

11/23/12 2:34 PM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

anytips on where I should start, websites youtube vids etc.. I would really appreciate it.  like I said I have zero experience and need to learn the basics.  Thanks guys

martyzsongs on youtube
11/23/12 2:36 PM
invalid
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/8th of an inch? damn dude, that is high. I usually wouldn't recommend messing with a guitar's action until you're a lot more comfortable, but more than 3mm is a LOT

that's about twice as normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuP4yLesG0
11/23/12 3:16 PM
viorage

invalid - 1/8th of an inch? damn dude, that is high. I usually wouldn't recommend messing with a guitar's action until you're a lot more comfortable, but more than 3mm is a LOT

that's about twice as normal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuP4yLesG0

i know i got to take it in and change it

11/23/12 3:19 PM
Extendo
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if the previous owner played mostly slide with the action that high. Phone Post
11/23/12 3:27 PM
jkennedy
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -

Im trying to learn as much as I can before I set up a session with him so he doesn't have to waste time telling me what the action is, or where the E ADGBe chords are and how to read what fret goes with what chord.

Get it set up now. Otherwise you're learning on a setup that may not fit your tendency. I played acoustic for years and have strung my electric heavily to fit my playing. For my buddy (who's an amazing player) he hates it. It's personal. Phone Post
11/23/12 3:36 PM
viorage

Extendo -  I wonder if the previous owner played mostly slide with the action that high. Phone Post

hes been playing country blues/slide guitar for 40+ years.  fuck a guitar shop on black friday.  Im going to call them and see if I can make an appointment or something to get my action lowered and put on new strings.

11/23/12 3:40 PM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I set up and repair guitars for a living. I'd be happy to answer any questions regarding set up of your guitar.

11/23/12 3:49 PM
glass neck
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

definitely find a good luthier in your area

they can really change things. have a crappy $150 acoustic that a local guy made sound like heaven.

good choice on strat

really cant beat the tone. strat or prs all the way.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.