UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/1/13 6:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoeBunn
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a certified Ibanez lover let me shed some light on the whole S series and thin wizard necks and Ibanez floyds.

First of all, if you are buying an Ibanez, make sure it's built in Japan. The newer models built in Japan are called Prestige. They are slightly more expensive but they are worth it.

However, I prefer older Ibanez made in Japan models like the rg550, rg570 or s540. The main difference is the bridge ie Floyd. Older models come with original Edge Floyd or the Lopro Edge which are arguably the best floyds in the world. These guitars are also very cheap so check them out on Ebay.

As far as the current S series goes, my advice is to stay away from them because of the weak edge-zero bridge.

Wizard necks are very smooth to play. Try the rg series and try a real jem, made in Japan. You'll love it. All have very similar, thin wizard necks.

There, hopefully I helped. Phone Post
4/1/13 7:02 PM
MentaL
529 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thrash Athletics, CEO
JoeBunn -  As a certified Ibanez lover let me shed some light on the whole S series and thin wizard necks and Ibanez floyds.

First of all, if you are buying an Ibanez, make sure it's built in Japan. The newer models built in Japan are called Prestige. They are slightly more expensive but they are worth it.

However, I prefer older Ibanez made in Japan models like the rg550, rg570 or s540. The main difference is the bridge ie Floyd. Older models come with original Edge Floyd or the Lopro Edge which are arguably the best floyds in the world. These guitars are also very cheap so check them out on Ebay.

As far as the current S series goes, my advice is to stay away from them because of the weak edge-zero bridge.

Wizard necks are very smooth to play. Try the rg series and try a real jem, made in Japan. You'll love it. All have very similar, thin wizard necks.

my jem is by team jcraft. If you can get a prestige , go with it. 

4/1/13 7:20 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
MentaL -
viorage -  Ill post pics when I get home but the guitar my dad sent me is a vintage Gibson epiphone :(. It looks EXACTLY like my fender strat. So who ripped off who, anybody know? Phone Post

they are two different guitars. Strats are smaller and slimmer whilst gibsons are considerably chunky. 

Yeah but I'm tellin you it's looks exactly the same.

Also is there maybe a pedal that lays down drum beats and shit like that. I'm sure I can't afford it but it would be cool to play with some drum beats in the background. Also I'm talking about something I can plug into my amp Phone Post

You can use your PC as a drum machine no trouble. Programming MIDI percussion is pretty much the same no matter the program. Just need a basic understanding of theory that's all (i.e. know the different between 4/4 and 7/8 and the different between a crotchet and a quaver).

It's easy to program percussion tracks in Guitar Pro. Tuxguitar is an open source knock off that runs in windows and it works exactly the same. You write the percussion tracks just like you would the guitar tracks. Instead of entering notes on the stave or frets on the tab you enter in the drum sounds (bass, hi-hat, cowbell, etc) by their number codes which are standard across all MIDI devices/software.

Hydrogen is an open source program that's a dedicated drum machine. It's free. I haven't used it myself personally, but I've seen people use it and it looks simple enough.

You could download either of these things for free right now and get going. I'd play with them a bit first before buying a drum machine/pedal.

As with all things rhythm related, if you not playing with at least one other person the metronome is king.
4/1/13 10:01 PM
viorage
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome -
viorage - 
MentaL -
viorage -  Ill post pics when I get home but the guitar my dad sent me is a vintage Gibson epiphone :(. It looks EXACTLY like my fender strat. So who ripped off who, anybody know? Phone Post

they are two different guitars. Strats are smaller and slimmer whilst gibsons are considerably chunky. 

Also is there maybe a pedal that lays down drum beats and shit like that. I'm sure I can't afford it but it would be cool to play with some drum beats in the background. Also I'm talking about something I can plug into my amp Phone Post

You can use your PC as a drum machine no trouble. Programming MIDI percussion is pretty much the same no matter the program. Just need a basic understanding of theory that's all (i.e. know the different between 4/4 and 7/8 and the different between a crotchet and a quaver).

It's easy to program percussion tracks in Guitar Pro. Tuxguitar is an open source knock off that runs in windows and it works exactly the same. You write the percussion tracks just like you would the guitar tracks. Instead of entering notes on the stave or frets on the tab you enter in the drum sounds (bass, hi-hat, cowbell, etc) by their number codes which are standard across all MIDI devices/software.

Hydrogen is an open source program that's a dedicated drum machine. It's free. I haven't used it myself personally, but I've seen people use it and it looks simple enough.

You could download either of these things for free right now and get going. I'd play with them a bit first before buying a drum machine/pedal.

As with all things rhythm related, if you not playing with at least one other person the metronome is king.
Cool thanks. Ill download those but I am getting pretty bored playung in front of my computer all the time.

I want to go play on my deck
:) Phone Post
4/1/13 10:04 PM
viorage
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeBunn - As a certified Ibanez lover let me shed some light on the whole S series and thin wizard necks and Ibanez floyds.

So the RG series made in japan? Are they as thin as the S series?

Recommend me a few models to check out Phone Post
4/1/13 10:41 PM
sewich
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
Invisible Lats Syndrome -
viorage - 
MentaL -

Cool thanks. Ill download those but I am getting pretty bored playung in front of my computer all the time.

I want to go play on my deck
:) Phone Post
Download Guitar jam tracks app on your phone. Phone Post
4/1/13 10:44 PM
sewich
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqoT3UotMgM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's a video demonstrating it. Phone Post
4/1/13 10:55 PM
guardbr8kr

sub
4/1/13 11:12 PM
JkdSam

viorage - 
JoeBunn - As a certified Ibanez lover let me shed some light on the whole S series and thin wizard necks and Ibanez floyds.

So the RG series made in japan? Are they as thin as the S series?

Recommend me a few models to check out Phone Post

He's telling you to chase down discontinued models, or buy higher end RGs. The lower end RGs have the Edge III trem, which is okay, but it's nowhere near as good as the original Edge or Lopro Edge. I personally have never had a problem with the ZR trems on the S series.

4/2/13 12:39 AM
viorage

I'm going to have to save up for it. I want a thin slim neck like the S series. I do not want a floyd rose. I'm willing to spend between $750 to $2000.

Help me out friends Phone Post
4/2/13 12:22 PM
viorage

This thread is just about dead. Do you guys know of any good guitar forums? Phone Post
4/2/13 1:27 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/

Lots of forums and sub-forums dedicated to pretty much anything guitar related you can think of. There are some snobs on there as well as a bunch of dumb young kids so you'll have to sift through the garbage to find the gold, but it is there.
4/2/13 6:57 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In other news....

http://youtu.be/BFVdGl5D2RQ

Iron Maiden - Flight of Icarus cover from today! \m/
4/2/13 9:03 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

I went a had a fuck about with Hydrogen. It's good and simple to use, you can export to wav file.

I laid down a basic kick, snare, kick-kick, snare and ending up jamming along with it on the electric with different hi-hat grooves until about 2am.
4/2/13 11:52 PM
Ryan Wood

Hydrogen is cool, I just wish you could import MIDI. It's a lot easier to program drums in Guitar Pro 5.
4/3/13 8:49 AM
viorage

Okay how is this prestige?

4/3/13 8:52 AM
viorage

another prestige,  fuck it I just might save up for a used Jem

4/3/13 9:33 AM
viorage

What about the new iron label ibanez Phone Post
4/3/13 9:34 AM
MentaL
529 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thrash Athletics, CEO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-J-Custom-RG2012-6-Limited-Electric-Guitar-Brown-Garnet-/360627521782?pt=Guitar&hash=item53f71348f6

4/3/13 9:35 AM
Jacks Wasted Life
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used is the way to go - you can get a lot more guitar for your money.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my Charvel So-Cal. Great guitar but I don't think I want guitars with locking trems anymore. I'll probably use the money from it to get another SG...I love the tone and playability on them. For crunchy tones I don't think any guitar sounds better and you can reach the 22nd fret like nothing. Phone Post
4/3/13 10:57 AM
snakepitz
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life -  Used is the way to go - you can get a lot more guitar for your money.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my Charvel So-Cal. Great guitar but I don't think I want guitars with locking trems anymore. I'll probably use the money from it to get another SG...I love the tone and playability on them. For crunchy tones I don't think any guitar sounds better and you can reach the 22nd fret like nothing. Phone Post

PM sent..
4/3/13 1:09 PM
viorage

WhoppersJr -
viorage -  I'm going to have to save up for it. I want a thin slim neck like the S series. I do not want a floyd rose. I'm willing to spend between $750 to $2000.

Help me out friends Phone Post

Have you figured out how to change strings on a guitar yet?
Yep, now run along now kid Phone Post
4/3/13 1:11 PM
viorage

MentaL -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-J-Custom-RG2012-6-Limited-Electric-Guitar-Brown-Garnet-/360627521782?pt=Guitar&hash=item53f71348f6

Oh sweet. That one is awesome. Phone Post
4/3/13 10:50 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Ryan Wood - Hydrogen is cool, I just wish you could import MIDI. It's a lot easier to program drums in Guitar Pro 5.

It's a mixed bag compared to GP5 I think.

There seems to be much more percussion instruments in GP5 compared to the default Hydrogen install, like cabasas and stuff. I'm sure there's user made kits to import.

In Hydrogen it's a little annoying trying to incorporate triplets and quavers/semi-quavers in the same measures. You got to switch back and forth between showing even divisions or triplet divisions and when you're in one you can't delete notes in the other.

But I do like how you program the different patterns into a song in Hydrogen using the grid, stacking patterns on top of each other, etc. Cutting and pasting or deleting measures has always sucked in Guitar Pro.

Still nothing I've used makes a ride cymbal sound worth a fuck.
4/5/13 12:43 PM
viorage

Has anybody tried out the Iron Label Ibanez's?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.