UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

4/27/13 7:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jacks Wasted Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weird, I use root 6 barre chords all the time and find them very comfortable. I find it easier to play a F barre chord then an open F where you only play 4 strings. Phone Post
4/27/13 8:12 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich - 
viorage -
MentaL - 
viorage - 
MentaL -
viorage -  Love the extra long neck prestige. I can play an F chord with no problems Phone Post

bar chords* 

Every one says the F is the hardest dreaded chord I have no oroblems on the long neck prestige. Its 26.5" Phone Post

umm then they are liars or only been playing for a few months.

thats just what Ive been hearing.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-161-F-chord.php

Outside of wierd add 13 jazz chords it is. I rarely play a full F Barre. Phone Post

what does that first sentence mean.

4/27/13 8:16 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad everything is going good.
Question for the pros here. Ill keep it quick to not take away from thread.

I've been playing for about 12years. Can play many solos and full songs and make up some ok sounding shit. But I can't read music. Don't know any chords or structure or scales or anything. Where do I start to learn this? Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 8:23 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrFluffyHippo - Glad everything is going good.

I've been playing for about 12years. Can play many solos and full songs and make up some ok sounding shit. But I can't read music. Don't know any chords or structure or scales or anything. Where do I start to learn this? Phone Post 3.0

fretboard logic will help with that.

Justinguitar.com goes through all of this as well

4/27/13 10:16 PM
sewich
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -
sewich - 
viorage -
MentaL - 
viorage - 
MentaL -
viorage -  Love the extra long neck prestige. I can play an F chord with no problems Phone Post

bar chords* 

Every one says the F is the hardest dreaded chord I have no oroblems on the long neck prestige. Its 26.5" Phone Post

umm then they are liars or only been playing for a few months.

thats just what Ive been hearing.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-161-F-chord.php

Outside of wierd add 13 jazz chords it is. I rarely play a full F Barre. Phone Post

what does that first sentence mean.

Add chords are when you "add" another note to your chord. I hope you have learned about intervals in fretboard logic or this is gonna be mighty confusing, I will do my best to explain it as if you don't understand what intervals are.

When you play a scale in a position you should notice that you have the same notes repeat a octave higher after you complete the initial 8 note scale. All the notes past your 8 interval( the scale root note octave) will repeat the scale note for note just a octave higher and they are numbered as intervals 9, 10,11,ect

So let's say you want to play a C add9

Your C chord is a triad made up of the root note (C) which is your C scales 1st interval, the 2nd note of the chord is your 3rd interval which is the 3rd note of your C scale(E), and your 5th interval the 5th note of your C scale (G). All major chords are made up of this 1,3,5 structure.
Now you want to "add" your 9th interval to this chord.
Your 8th interval is your root note(in this case C) so your 9th interval is the 2nd interval of your C scale that is a octave higher. The 2nd interval of the C scale is D so you play a C chord and add the High D note, the D that is past your root note octave(1st postion C chord this would be the 3rd fret on the B string.
Strum a open C chord and then "add your 9" by fretting the D note at the 3rd fret B string with your pinkie. Just go back and forth strumming the 2 chords(hold the original C chord while playing a C add9 this way you can switch between the 2 easily buy just lifting your pinkie off the B string) listen to how it changes the sound( the eagles Best of my Love is a good example of how you can use a add chord to spice up a chord progression)
Add 9 is the most common add chord you would use outside of jazz.

Clear as mud? High as fuck watching the Wild make the playoffs and Typing on my phone so hopefully its not too confusing.

Next lesson Sus chords. Phone Post
4/27/13 10:18 PM
sewich
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrFluffyHippo - Glad everything is going good.

There are a lot of book and videos but I will recommend Creative Guitar vol 1 by Guthrie Govan. Phone Post
4/27/13 10:31 PM
viorage

yeah I know what you are describing sewich.  Not quite there yet, though.

4/27/13 10:36 PM
MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thrash Athletics, CEO
MrFluffyHippo - Glad everything is going good.

Learn major scale and pentatonic. Everything is built around major scale. Phone Post
4/27/13 10:41 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for advise everyone! Phone Post 3.0
4/27/13 11:54 PM
viorage

Listening to zepplin at madison swuare garden in some documentary God damn paige is a fuckin beast Phone Post
4/28/13 9:04 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life -  Weird, I use root 6 barre chords all the time and find them very comfortable. I find it easier to play a F barre chord then an open F where you only play 4 strings. Phone Post

Me too, I'll use the 6 string root barre chord shape even if I want to voice the chord with the top 4 strings. It's a similar shape to the 5th string root minor barre chord, which you'll need to have mastered to play B minor, C minor, C# minor etc without a capo.
4/28/13 9:08 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

MrFluffyHippo - Glad everything is going good.

The 'Dummies' guide to music theory is actually a pretty reasonable resource for this. It covers the stave, time signatures, subdivisions of the beat (minim, crotchet, quaver, etc), scales, intervals, chord construction, etc. It isn't guitar specific but this is all universal.

I'd recommend it over some of the guitar specific stuff which isn't really a music theory primer but a system of patterns for navigating around the fretboard. That stuff is useful, but it isn't the fundamentals.
4/28/13 11:14 PM
viorage

Tell me about noise suppressor pedals Phone Post
4/28/13 11:16 PM
viorage

Invisible Lats Syndrome -
Jacks Wasted Life -  Weird, I use root 6 barre chords all the time and find them very comfortable. I find it easier to play a F barre chord then an open F where you only play 4 strings. Phone Post

Me too, I'll use the 6 string root barre chord shape even if I want to voice the chord with the top 4 strings. It's a similar shape to the 5th string root minor barre chord, which you'll need to have mastered to play B minor, C minor, C# minor etc without a capo.
So much to learn. Phone Post
4/29/13 5:14 PM
MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thrash Athletics, CEO
viorage -

It's all down to hand position and stretching with the aforementioned chords. Phone Post
4/29/13 5:16 PM
MentaL

Thrash Athletics, CEO
Scale length would help too for bar chords if you got shit technique. Phone Post
4/29/13 6:04 PM
sewich

viorage - Tell me about noise suppressor pedals Phone Post
A noise gate? It deadens signal noise like 60 cycle hum and inadvertant string noise. Phone Post
4/29/13 8:38 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

viorage - 

How is it that you own enough gear to fill a shipping container but can't play basic barre chords?
4/29/13 8:50 PM
BenBJJ
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'll be selling all that gear to us all in less than 1 year.
4/29/13 9:19 PM
sewich

viorage - 

How is it that you own enough gear to fill a shipping container but can't play basic barre chords?
How come you care about what people that have no impact on you spend their money. Phone Post
4/30/13 10:10 AM
viorage

viorage - 

I can play bar chords. I assume you picked up a guitar and were instantly as good as SRV Phone Post
4/30/13 10:11 AM
viorage

viorage - 

I haven't bought any new gear. What is your obsession with bagging on me Phone Post
4/30/13 10:12 AM
viorage

BenBJJ - He'll be selling all that gear to us all in less than 1 year.
First it was 2 weeks now its a year. We shall see. Phone Post
4/30/13 10:13 AM
viorage

So much hate in a community where we have so much in common. Phone Post
5/1/13 9:24 AM
raleigh

I don't know why you'd want to mess with a floyd at this point.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.