UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/1/13 11:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm going to start spending some time reviewing reading/theory. I've beat the books to death.
5/1/13 12:07 PM
viorage
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

raleigh - Lol. Seems like a lot of hate is from your side viorage. I've never had as much enjoyment playing as I do my classical. Actually I'd like to sell my dean vmnt. It shreds. Thinner neck than ibanez i think. If you're interested.
Yeah I'm pretty well hated in this thread. There are quite a few friendly helpful people here but other than that most just thing I buy shit and not play.

When in actuality I play A LOT. I'm a mechanical person so I also want to learn the ins and outs of the actual instrument as well. Phone Post
5/1/13 12:12 PM
viorage
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also work between 50-60 hours a week on top of school. So I can't play as much as I want during the week so I read on my breaks and crap at work from anywhere from theory to guitar history.

Despite all the hate I really enjoy my new hobby Phone Post
5/1/13 12:18 PM
raleigh

The problem is that everyones way is the right way. I know when I started playing i soon had a rack mount with midi pedal, lol. Don't get bogged down in gear.
5/1/13 10:44 PM
raleigh

You just need one shitty guitar to get good.
5/2/13 8:21 AM
Charles T Rose

nah bro gear is for suckers I shred on a cigar box with a broom handle
5/2/13 8:38 AM
viorage

raleigh - You just need one shitty guitar to get good.

I agree, but the main point of playing the guitar for me is having fun.  So dropping to D tuning ( im sure I worded that wrong) and throwing on the distortion and overdrive pedal on a loud amp and playing "walk" by pantera, is fun as hell.

5/3/13 11:07 AM
viorage

thanks to whomever recommended me Guitar World magazine.  $24 bucks for 2 years and all this information.  I think it was Sewich or Ryan, if im wrong please correct me.  Im just going to start voting up everyone on this despite the negativity.  The information I've received from here has been incredibly helpful. 

The fact that it is starting to come together has made guitar playing so much more satisfying.  Thanks guys

5/3/13 11:13 AM
viorage

for sewich, I missed this earlier

5/3/13 1:23 PM
snakepitz
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats lovely! ^^
5/3/13 4:53 PM
sewich
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guitar world releases videos of the lesson columns on YouTube . usually up within a week of getting the issue in the mail. Phone Post
5/3/13 5:07 PM
viorage

sewich -  Guitar world releases videos of the lesson columns on YouTube . usually up within a week of getting the issue in the mail. Phone Post

yeah I was reading that.  Wasn't it you who recommended it to me?

5/3/13 5:08 PM
viorage

im warming up my tubes as we speak!

5/4/13 1:17 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right on man, I love Guitar World mag! I'm looking forward to picking up this month's issue with Dave Mustaine and Chris Broderick on the cover \m/

I just finished recording another fun bit of improv over a backing track, when it's uploaded I'll slap er in here. Did you ever get around to recording some stuff? Even if you don't share it with anyone it's a fantastic way to track your progress.
5/4/13 1:45 PM
Ryan Wood
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtu.be/MvkqW3GhbX0
5/4/13 2:29 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - Right on man, I love Guitar World mag! I'm looking forward to picking up this month's issue with Dave Mustaine and Chris Broderick on the cover \m/

I just finished recording another fun bit of improv over a backing track, when it's uploaded I'll slap er in here. Did you ever get around to recording some stuff? Even if you don't share it with anyone it's a fantastic way to track your progress.

ive recordered just some riffs on my phone.  I cant figure out the computer stuff yet.  I'm learning that scales are pretty much a must to master, so I've just been working the hell out of those.

Songs im working on right now are still- Radiohead- creep.  Zeppelin- stairway to heaven  Metallica- Enter sandman.  Some albert king songs.  I need to focus on one but when I get stuck I usually take a break and go work on another section or another song.

Definately upload your stuff man I love to hear it.

5/4/13 2:34 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - http://youtu.be/MvkqW3GhbX0

damn dude that was awesome!  What pickups do you have in your guitar?

5/4/13 2:35 PM
viorage

Lol I get voted down a lot on this thread.  Please dont get me frozen fellas =(

5/4/13 3:27 PM
Ryan Wood

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with some of the hostility in this thread. So goes the internet, I suppose.

That guitar has a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge and stock Ibanez Infinity pickups in the middle and neck. Right now I'm wondering if it would be worth it to cram some John Petrucci pickups in there (Crunch Lab and Liquifire I believe) or if I should just get a new axe altogether. I just got a new job that pays double what I used to make so I'm definitely going to be in the market for a new one.

Currently I'm considering hot rodding the fuck out of an American Strat, getting a higher tier of Ibanez (maybe a Satriani) or getting a 7 string Petrucci model.

One thing about the Dimebucker -- it's got high output but it can be very treble heavy in the wrong way at times when playing clean. Gotta EQ that sumbitch lol
5/4/13 4:00 PM
sewich
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a ibanez rg 570 with a dimebucker in the bridge and a dimarizo (can't think of which one) in then neck 10 years ago. Wish I still had it. Neck thru body, that thing would sustain a note till you muted it. Transparent candy red color. God damn it why did I sell it. Phone Post
5/4/13 4:05 PM
sewich

The songs in this months GW are pretty good. Kind of excited about Get the Funk Out by Extreme. I love when they have a song I love but haven't thought about in years. Phone Post
5/4/13 5:22 PM
viorage

I really like the lundgren M6 and liquifire combo.

5/4/13 5:54 PM
Ryan Wood

sewich -  I had a ibanez rg 570 with a dimebucker in the bridge and a dimarizo (can't think of which one) in then neck 10 years ago. Wish I still had it. Neck thru body, that thing would sustain a note till you muted it. Transparent candy red color. God damn it why did I sell it. Phone Post

I'm a huge fan of disgustingly long sustain.

http://youtu.be/XutwkruACsA

The sustain, just listen to it
5/4/13 6:04 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the question of upgrading a guitar or getting a new one comes down to how the neck feels, how it sounds unplugged and how much you've bonded with it. If you love the neck on a guitar and it sounds great acoustic then you can always get it sounding how you want by swapping pups iand electronics. Just keep in mind that your upgraded components aren't going to get you much more for it if you ever decide to sell it. But if it's a keeper it doesn't matter. Phone Post
5/4/13 6:09 PM
viorage

Ryan Wood - 
sewich -  I had a ibanez rg 570 with a dimebucker in the bridge and a dimarizo (can't think of which one) in then neck 10 years ago. Wish I still had it. Neck thru body, that thing would sustain a note till you muted it. Transparent candy red color. God damn it why did I sell it. Phone Post

I'm a huge fan of disgustingly long sustain.

http://youtu.be/XutwkruACsA

The sustain, just listen to it

lol

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.