UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

6/5/13 3:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Forrest Gimp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason Becker is great. Jason Becker I can at least comprehend a bit what's going on. Shawn Lane just makes me think whaaaaat the fuck just happened. Lane's solo starts at around 03:50 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RxxjbzR5LQ

In my own guitar-related news, I've ordered an ESP/E-II Eclipse USA 24 fret apparatus. Due to be delivered end of this month.
6/6/13 9:34 AM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forrest Gimp - Jason Becker is great. Jason Becker I can at least comprehend a bit what's going on. Shawn Lane just makes me think whaaaaat the fuck just happened. Lane's solo starts at around 03:50 -

In my own guitar-related news, I've ordered an ESP/E-II Eclipse USA 24 fret apparatus. Due to be delivered end of this month.
Pics? Phone Post
6/7/13 10:52 AM
Forrest Gimp

viorage - 
Forrest Gimp - Jason Becker is great. Jason Becker I can at least comprehend a bit what's going on. Shawn Lane just makes me think whaaaaat the fuck just happened. Lane's solo starts at around 03:50 -

Pics? Phone Post

Looks like this, but I'll update with actual pics of the real thing once it's delivered to me:

http://i41.tinypic.com/4vntzp.jpg
6/9/13 5:38 PM
Cookie Monster
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
6/9/13 5:47 PM
sewich
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought I was pretty good at sweep arpeggios till I saw the sheet music for perpetual burn. Phone Post
6/9/13 10:13 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sewich - I thought I was pretty good at sweep arpeggios till I saw the sheet music for perpetual burn. Phone Post
Did you give it a go Phone Post
6/10/13 5:57 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GAS strikes again. I just ordered a Carvin Bolt - their strat style guitar. I've been curious about Carvin for so long I couldn't help myself. I'll give my thoughts when I get it, but that probably won't be for 6-8 weeks. Phone Post
6/10/13 10:19 PM
viorage

Jacks Wasted Life - GAS strikes again. I just ordered a Carvin Bolt - their strat style guitar. I've been curious about Carvin for so long I couldn't help myself. I'll give my thoughts when I get it, but that probably won't be for 6-8 weeks. Phone Post
Pics please Phone Post
6/10/13 10:34 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

I just picked up a Fender Precision Bass. American Standard.

I'm genuinely excited about it. I really think a bass player is what I was meant to be. I'm going back all the way to square one for this, slow and steady, doing all the little things right.
6/11/13 9:35 AM
viorage

Invisible Lats Syndrome - I just picked up a Fender Precision Bass. American Standard.

I'm genuinely excited about it. I really think a bass player is what I was meant to be. I'm going back all the way to square one for this, slow and steady, doing all the little things right.
Pics. Bass should be easier to oick up since you can already play the guitar Phone Post
6/11/13 11:06 AM
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life -  GAS strikes again. I just ordered a Carvin Bolt - their strat style guitar. I've been curious about Carvin for so long I couldn't help myself. I'll give my thoughts when I get it, but that probably won't be for 6-8 weeks. Phone Post

I've been playing Carvin guitars (bolt on and neck through body) for over 20 years now. Their electronics are shit (including pickups) but their necks and wood are first class. They are the best necks I've played second only to a Suhr. If I had to pick 3rd place, it would be the new San Dimas Charvels.
6/11/13 9:18 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
Jacks Wasted Life - GAS strikes again. I just ordered a Carvin Bolt - their strat style guitar. I've been curious about Carvin for so long I couldn't help myself. I'll give my thoughts when I get it, but that probably won't be for 6-8 weeks. Phone Post
Pics please Phone Post

I'll definitely post pics when I get it. Here's a (long) link to a google image that looks similar - it will pretty much look like this guitar except with black pickups and a black pickguard. Come to think of it...it will look very similar to the Fender American Special HSS strat in sunburst except with the slightly different body and headstock shapes that Carvin use.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1525&bih=683&q=carvin+bolt+classic+sunburst&oq=carvin+bolt+classic+sunburst&gs_l=img.12...0.0.1.63871.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1ac..17.img.ILqxN0RrDmU#facrc=_&imgrc=Lr0Kh1LXwc22IM%3A%3BmMR_dPOP3GjJVM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcarvinbbs.com%252Fuserpix%252F7973_CloseUpBody_1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcarvinbbs.com%252Fviewtopic.php%253Fp%253D376106%3B480%3B640
6/11/13 9:25 PM
Jacks Wasted Life

jman - 
Jacks Wasted Life -  GAS strikes again. I just ordered a Carvin Bolt - their strat style guitar. I've been curious about Carvin for so long I couldn't help myself. I'll give my thoughts when I get it, but that probably won't be for 6-8 weeks. Phone Post

I've been playing Carvin guitars (bolt on and neck through body) for over 20 years now. Their electronics are shit (including pickups) but their necks and wood are first class. They are the best necks I've played second only to a Suhr. If I had to pick 3rd place, it would be the new San Dimas Charvels.

I LOVE the new Charvel necks so that is great news. I am hoping for the best with the pickups and electronics. I've read that the pickups have improved quite a bit in the past few years and the pickups they have now are their best ever...we'll see. I thought they sounded good from a few audio and video clips I found on the net but that's always different from the actual room sound.

I have and like a variety of pickups (Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson, Fender) so hopefully I can get good tones from the Carvins through a nice tube amp. If not, I can always pop in a loaded pickguard to get it sounding how I want as long as the build quality is great.
6/12/13 10:05 AM
viorage

Jacks Wasted Life -
jman - 

I LOVE the new Charvel necks so that is great news. I am hoping for the best with the pickups and electronics. I've read that the pickups have improved quite a bit in the past few years and the pickups they have now are their best ever...we'll see. I thought they sounded good from a few audio and video clips I found on the net but that's always different from the actual room sound.

I have and like a variety of pickups (Duncan, Dimarzio, Gibson, Fender) so hopefully I can get good tones from the Carvins through a nice tube amp. If not, I can always pop in a loaded pickguard to get it sounding how I want as long as the build quality is great.
I really like the lundgren M6 pickup Phone Post
6/12/13 1:44 PM
Charles T Rose
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Giby Les Paul Classic and Americano Strat with 70's style headstock and 'lil Screamin Demon/Texas Specials and Full COntact saddles
mid '90s Crate Vintage Club Tuber with fresh JJ's and authentic relic haha

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8017226@N06/9025257579/in/set-72157634091096610/
6/13/13 1:52 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Put my luddism aside and bough a Roland Microcube Bass amp.

Was just looking for a practice bass amp and got a deal on a new in box one on ebay. Could've spent less and got a Vox Pathfinder or some other shitbox but I'll give it a go. It's really just for fooling around in the loungeroom.
6/13/13 4:02 AM
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you think of the Riot Distortion pedal?

I got it and have used it a bit, but I don't really like it. It seems like it might work if you have the amp set up perfectly (bright high, scooped mid and some bass) but on any other amp setting or situation, the pedal just sounds strange to me.

I might look at the Wampler Sovereign instead.

The BB Preamp is a great overdrive pedal, but it is only good for low distortion or boosts, not a lead or heavy tone unfortunately. If the BB Preamp could be run hotter with more gain, it would be the ultimate distortion pedal IMO.
6/13/13 8:56 AM
viorage

jman - What do you think of the Riot Distortion pedal?

I got it and have used it a bit, but I don't really like it. It seems like it might work if you have the amp set up perfectly (bright high, scooped mid and some bass) but on any other amp setting or situation, the pedal just sounds strange to me.

I might look at the Wampler Sovereign instead.

The BB Preamp is a great overdrive pedal, but it is only good for low distortion or boosts, not a lead or heavy tone unfortunately. If the BB Preamp could be run hotter with more gain, it would be the ultimate distortion pedal IMO.
I like it a lot but In all fairness i have nothing to compare it to.

I haven't touched my pedal board in months. Just been practicing on scales and arpeggios. I really suck but still love to play Phone Post
6/13/13 4:24 PM
viorage

Can you guys recommend me a slow easier song that sounds good? Phone Post
6/13/13 9:35 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

viorage -  Can you guys recommend me a slow easier song that sounds good? Phone Post

What style of playing? Riffs, slow melodic type of lead, open chord rhythm, rhythm playing with barre chords/left hand muting, etc.
6/14/13 4:24 AM
jman

viorage -  Can you guys recommend me a slow easier song that sounds good? Phone Post

Early Black Sabbath stuff: Paranoid, Iron Man, etc

I'm sure there are a ton of YouTube vids teaching these songs.
6/14/13 4:38 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Paranoid's pretty quick tempo though. The Iron Man riff has got sliding around powerchords in semiquavers too.

6/14/13 9:14 AM
viorage

Invisible Lats Syndrome -

What style of playing? Riffs, slow melodic type of lead, open chord rhythm, rhythm playing with barre chords/left hand muting, etc.
Probably slower melodic lead. I'm not to good at barre chords yet but I do jnow a lot of open chords. Phone Post
6/14/13 9:15 AM
viorage

jman -

Early Black Sabbath stuff: Paranoid, Iron Man, etc

I'm sure there are a ton of YouTube vids teaching these songs.
Thanks ill check them out. Phone Post
6/14/13 9:21 AM
viorage

viorage -
Invisible Lats Syndrome -

Probably slower melodic lead. I'm not to good at barre chords yet but I do jnow a lot of open chords. Phone Post
Oh yeah some more things I'm ok at. -muting., Slides, power chords.

I love Bends

I can't pl ay harmonics worth a shit. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.