9/2/13 9:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome -
viorage -  ^^^^ nice

Hey invisible lats

Can you tell me what scale summertime by joplin is based on? I'm thinking it's the major scale but not sure Phone Post

A minor which is the relative minor of C major, so it uses the same notes but different tonal centre.

I'm not familiar with the Joplin version. But I found some of the sheet music for the original (Gershwin) and it's in A minor.
I can't find my theory book so pardon my stupid question. Would that be the minor scale in the key of A

I was trying to figure it out and I thought it was the major scale

We might be lost in translation about the question Phone Post

It's the A minor scale (A B C D E F G A). The first note in the scale is 'A' which is the tonic or "tonal centre".

The A minor scale has the same notes as the C major scale (C D E F G A B C). The difference being 'C' here is the tonal centre of the scale.

Major and minor scales that use the same notes are "relative" major/minor scales. So A minor is the relative minor of C major.

It follows a pattern, if you take a major scale and start on the 6th note (which is major 6th interval from the tonic) you'll play its relative minor scale.

So the relative minor of G major is E minor, you can masturbate around in E minor pentatonic over a G major chord progression and it sounds consonant because the same notes are used (go look at Sweet Child of Mine by Gun's and Roses for example).

9/2/13 9:41 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 
viorage -  ^^^^ nice

Hey invisible lats

Can you tell me what scale summertime by joplin is based on? I'm thinking it's the major scale but not sure Phone Post

A minor which is the relative minor of C major, so it uses the same notes but different tonal centre.

I'm not familiar with the Joplin version. But I found some of the sheet music for the original (Gershwin) and it's in A minor.
I can't find my theory book so pardon my stupid question. Would that be the minor scale in the key of A

It's the A minor scale (A B C D E F G A). The first note in the scale is 'A' which is the tonic or "tonal centre".

The A minor scale has the same notes as the C major scale (C D E F G A B C). The difference being 'C' here is the tonal centre of the scale.

Major and minor scales that use the same notes are "relative" major/minor scales. So A minor is the relative minor of C major.

It follows a pattern, if you take a major scale and start on the 6th note (which is major 6th interval from the tonic) you'll play its relative minor scale.

So the relative minor of G major is E minor, you can masturbate around in E minor pentatonic over a G major chord progression and it sounds consonant because the same notes are used (go look at Sweet Child of Mine by Gun's and Roses for example).

I need to find my book. However I do understand for the most part Phone Post
9/2/13 10:16 PM
Dajuisher
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dajuisher - Ordered this yesterday, can't wait!

Phone Post 3.0

American Standard or what?
Gibson Explorer , made in USA. Phone Post 3.0
9/2/13 11:02 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Cool. I just had a look they don't have the range in the Explorers that they do with the SG's and Les Pauls which have Standard, Studio and all these shittier reissues and signature models.

I've had a couple of USA made SGs ordered through Gibson. The first I sent back because there was an issue with the finish. Both times the setup from the factory left a lot to be desired. The Fenders I've got from the factory were much better setup right out of the box in general.

I know not to expect too much from the factory setup, especially with acoustics, and whenever I buy a new guitar I do it with the expectation that I'll get a luthier to set it up properly once I'm familiar with it. But it's just that both the factory SG's were further off being playable than my Fenders have been.

Sooner or later I'll get around to replacing the nut on the SG with a bone one. I'm not particularly happy about how it frets in the first couple of positions so I'll go all out with a luthier.

9/2/13 11:10 PM
Dajuisher
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Invisible Lats Syndrome - Cool. I just had a look they don't have the range in the Explorers that they do with the SG's and Les Pauls which have Standard, Studio and all these shittier reissues and signature models.

I've had a couple of USA made SGs ordered through Gibson. The first I sent back because there was an issue with the finish. Both times the setup from the factory left a lot to be desired. The Fenders I've got from the factory were much better setup right out of the box in general.

I know not to expect too much from the factory setup, especially with acoustics, and whenever I buy a new guitar I do it with the expectation that I'll get a luthier to set it up properly once I'm familiar with it. But it's just that both the factory SG's were further off being playable than my Fenders have been.

Sooner or later I'll get around to replacing the nut on the SG with a bone one. I'm not particularly happy about how it frets in the first couple of positions so I'll go all out with a luthier.

Yep. I wasn't very impressed with the finish on this one or my SG standard. Setup out of the box needed tweaking on both, and they both have the problem with the b and g string sticking at the nut, but overall I am happy with the purchase. Maybe I will look into replacing the nut. My strats have awesome finish on them, but I bought them used, so can't say much about the set up from the factory. Phone Post 3.0
9/2/13 11:22 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

viorage - 
viorage - 
viorage -  ^^^^ nice

Hey invisible lats

Many circle of fifths diagrams will show relative minor too, maybe this book of yours will show that.

What you'll see is that for C major and A minor they have the same number of flats/sharps in the key signature. So when you look at the stave you can't really tell if it's C major or A minor, it's something you'll get from playing or listening to it.

For guitar music you can normally just listen to the underlying chord progression and find out where its "home" is. I.e. if it starts and/or ends with a C major chord it's probably that key, likewise for A minor.
9/2/13 11:36 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Dajuisher - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome - Cool. I just had a look they don't have the range in the Explorers that they do with the SG's and Les Pauls which have Standard, Studio and all these shittier reissues and signature models.

Yep. I wasn't very impressed with the finish on this one or my SG standard. Setup out of the box needed tweaking on both, and they both have the problem with the b and g string sticking at the nut, but overall I am happy with the purchase. Maybe I will look into replacing the nut. My strats have awesome finish on them, but I bought them used, so can't say much about the set up from the factory. Phone Post 3.0

I don't think I'll ever get another nitro finished guitar. Getting a P-Bass recently has made me appreciate the Fender style of polyester finish a lot more.
9/3/13 12:30 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

I was completely wrong about sweet child of mine. I was thinking of something else, just ignore that.
9/3/13 3:11 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Gibsons but their setups are usually AWFUL from the factory in my experience. They don't cut the nuts correctly so you either can't keep the guitar in tune and/or you get buzzing on the low frets.

I've had 4 Gibsons (LP Standard, SG Standard and 2 SG Specials) and the nuts were messed up on 3 of them - ironically the only one with a decent nut was one of the specials. One guitar needed a new nut and the others were fixed by having the nut slots slightly recut. I just always figure on needing the nut repaired or replaced on Gibsons now and factor it into the cost. Otherwise they are awesome playing and sounding guitars. Phone Post
9/3/13 3:12 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theseanster -

For SnakePitz

Looks sweet - love the Charvel necks! Phone Post
9/3/13 9:22 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Jacks Wasted Life -  I love Gibsons but their setups are usually AWFUL from the factory in my experience. They don't cut the nuts correctly so you either can't keep the guitar in tune and/or you get buzzing on the low frets.

I've had 4 Gibsons (LP Standard, SG Standard and 2 SG Specials) and the nuts were messed up on 3 of them - ironically the only one with a decent nut was one of the specials. One guitar needed a new nut and the others were fixed by having the nut slots slightly recut. I just always figure on needing the nut repaired or replaced on Gibsons now and factor it into the cost. Otherwise they are awesome playing and sounding guitars. Phone Post

I can understand how the factory nut isn't going to be filed to same standard a luthier, given that people will use different gauges and tunings and what not.

I've never had a factory nut replaced with a bone one, but I think I will get one put on my SG. There's a great luthier near by that's appointment only and his work shop is like a museum. It's full of different vintage electrics that are pretty rare around here and other stuff like banjos and mandolins, some from the 19th century.
9/4/13 8:25 AM
Jacks Wasted Life

Jacks Wasted Life -  I love Gibsons but their setups are usually AWFUL from the factory in my experience. They don't cut the nuts correctly so you either can't keep the guitar in tune and/or you get buzzing on the low frets.

I can understand how the factory nut isn't going to be filed to same standard a luthier, given that people will use different gauges and tunings and what not.

I've never had a factory nut replaced with a bone one, but I think I will get one put on my SG. There's a great luthier near by that's appointment only and his work shop is like a museum. It's full of different vintage electrics that are pretty rare around here and other stuff like banjos and mandolins, some from the 19th century.
I agree that a factory nut won't be to the same standard as a nut that's been worked on, but it is astonishing how bad some of the Gibson nuts are compared to other brands.

I've never had any similar nut issues with any other brand of guitar - Fender, Hamer, Agile - even Squiers I've had stayed in tune much better than my (off the shelf) Gibsons. Funny enough, I played a $200 SG copy that stayed in tune great while my Gibson SG Standard was jumping out if you looked at it funny.

Once you get the nut fixed they stay in tune fine. I'm not sure why Gibson can't seem to get it right for their standard specs (standard tuning with 10s).

I usually just get them replaced with Tusq nuts and they work well. I've never tried bone.

That luthier sounds awesome. I go to a locally owned music store for all of my repairs/mods and they do great work. Phone Post
9/4/13 7:42 PM
GrowCrops

viorage -
viorage - 
viorage -  ^^^^ nice

Hey invisible lats

Just curious what book you use? Lacking some good reading material right now Phone Post 3.0
9/4/13 11:56 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GrowCrops -
viorage -
viorage - 
viorage -  ^^^^ nice

Hey invisible lats

Just curious what book you use? Lacking some good reading material right now Phone Post 3.0
Me? Fret logic I think is the title but I can't find it so I'm not sure. Maybe fret board logic. It's something like that. Phone Post
9/5/13 9:09 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Fretboard Logic.

I wouldn't use it for trying to understand theory personally because I think this CAGED approach is arse-backwards. It often get peoples into a mindset where they are trying to make the theory fit into discrete little patterns they've rote learned.

For me a better approach would be to understand intervals inside and out first. Learn how they relate to the different scales and chord construction and the ways you can translate those intervals to the fretboard. Once you understand this, you can navigate your way around the fretboard musically. You're not trying to translate it back to which pattern you're in and where you are in that pattern, you're thinking in terms of where you want to go musically and what options are there for doing that on a fretboard with strings a perfect fourth or major thirds apart (G to B string).

This CAGED stuff is a great reference for scale patterns and triad examples, iirc Fretboard Logic specifically has some great arpeggio examples. But to learn how to apply or understand theory I would be looking at something with more of the old school pedagogy.
9/6/13 9:13 AM
Jacks Wasted Life

ILS, any recommendations for books/cds/dvds for learning music theory for guitar? I can play pretty well but my music theory/music reading ability sucks. Phone Post
9/7/13 1:25 PM
Jacks Wasted Life

My new carvin is seriously pissing me off. I put a new set of strings on it a week ago and the high E broke after a couple of days. I figured maybe it was a fluke, just restrung it today and the high E broke again while I was playing it in to get it to stay in tune. I'm thinking maybe I have a sharp saddle - I play with a fairly light touch and hardly ever break strings. Pretty irritating on a brand new guitar, wish I had returned this thing in the 10 day trial. Phone Post
9/7/13 3:35 PM
KDK1CallingKDK12

Jacks Wasted Life - My new carvin is seriously pissing me off. I put a new set of strings on it a week ago and the high E broke after a couple of days. I figured maybe it was a fluke, just restrung it today and the high E broke again while I was playing it in to get it to stay in tune. I'm thinking maybe I have a sharp saddle - I play with a fairly light touch and hardly ever break strings. Pretty irritating on a brand new guitar, wish I had returned this thing in the 10 day trial. Phone Post
Should be something that can be fixed easily Phone Post 3.0
9/7/13 9:31 PM
raleigh

Maybe get a lower tension?
9/7/13 10:23 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Jacks Wasted Life -  My new carvin is seriously pissing me off. I put a new set of strings on it a week ago and the high E broke after a couple of days. I figured maybe it was a fluke, just restrung it today and the high E broke again while I was playing it in to get it to stay in tune. I'm thinking maybe I have a sharp saddle - I play with a fairly light touch and hardly ever break strings. Pretty irritating on a brand new guitar, wish I had returned this thing in the 10 day trial. Phone Post

Take it to a luthier directly. Someone who'll fuck around with it a bit, throw it in a vise while you're there, take a few measurements perhaps and then tell you what they think.

Even if you got it from a store, I wouldn't deal with them for issues like this, at most they'll take the guitar off of you and get some notes and pass it on to some luthier you never speak to.

Is it a brand new guitar with only factory setup? Are you using a different string gauge compared to what it shipped with?
9/7/13 10:45 PM
Kick Boxe
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my newest

9/7/13 10:53 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Jacks Wasted Life -  ILS, any recommendations for books/cds/dvds for learning music theory for guitar? I can play pretty well but my music theory/music reading ability sucks. Phone Post

Hands down the best thing you could do in my opinion is to get the Hal Leonard Method book (you can get the spiral bound 3 volume compilation with CD's for like $20-25) and work through it.

Probably the best thing about the HL book, is that it is pretty much all playing. I got the Bass method book here and there's 6 pages with very little text and a lot of pictures on how to hold the guitar, what all the parts are called, what the stave is, etc and page 7 onwards is all playing with a little paragraph here and there. You're learning everything by playing songs, while other books I've looked at just dump 30-50 pages of theory before there's an exercise you can play along to.

Even if you can play a bit already, it's a great exercise to follow the book from the start. Because you'll be reading off of the stave and tying in what you can already play with how it would be notated. If you commit to playing through it strictly with a metronome you'll tighten up your timing and phrasing by a huge amount, because the book gradually moves from nothing (single semi-breves on the E string) through to complicated rhythms and melodies.

Theory wise, I would go with something that's general and not guitar specific. The 'For Dummies' book isn't too bad and from what I remember the Berklee Music Theory Book is pretty good, but doesn't come with the answers to the quizzes.

Hal Leonard book I mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Guitar-Method-Complete-Edition/dp/0634047019/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378607184&sr=8-1&keywords=hal+leonard+guitar+method+complete+edition
9/8/13 1:32 AM
Jacks Wasted Life

Jacks Wasted Life -  My new carvin is seriously pissing me off. I put a new set of strings on it a week ago and the high E broke after a couple of days. I figured maybe it was a fluke, just restrung it today and the high E broke again while I was playing it in to get it to stay in tune. I'm thinking maybe I have a sharp saddle - I play with a fairly light touch and hardly ever break strings. Pretty irritating on a brand new guitar, wish I had returned this thing in the 10 day trial. Phone Post

Take it to a luthier directly. Someone who'll fuck around with it a bit, throw it in a vise while you're there, take a few measurements perhaps and then tell you what they think.

Even if you got it from a store, I wouldn't deal with them for issues like this, at most they'll take the guitar off of you and get some notes and pass it on to some luthier you never speak to.

Is it a brand new guitar with only factory setup? Are you using a different string gauge compared to what it shipped with?
The guitar is brand new from Carvin - they're a company that builds semi-custom instruments. You pick the style, woods, bridge type, neck specs, etc. from their list of options and they build it to your specs. You get a 10 day trial to return it and after that it's covered by a 5 year warranty. Problem is they're located in CA and I'm on the east coast so I'd have to ship it to them. I got it about a month ago (of course this issue didn't happen in the 10 day period!).

Same size strings as it shipped with - .09s. It's a 25.5 inch scale bolt on neck guitar in standard tuning. That's the same string size and brand I use on my strats (similar specs) without any problems.

From researching and talking to people, it seems likely it's a burr in the saddle. A friend had a similar issue and fixed it by carefully sanding it with a piece of folded sandpaper. I may try that first and if it doesn't do the trick I'll contact Carvin or bring it to someone. Probably not a huge deal, but annoying on a brand new guitar. I never had a similar problem with my strats. Phone Post
9/8/13 1:40 AM
Jacks Wasted Life

Jacks Wasted Life -  ILS, any recommendations for books/cds/dvds for learning music theory for guitar? I can play pretty well but my music theory/music reading ability sucks. Phone Post

Hands down the best thing you could do in my opinion is to get the Hal Leonard Method book (you can get the spiral bound 3 volume compilation with CD's for like $20-25) and work through it.

Probably the best thing about the HL book, is that it is pretty much all playing. I got the Bass method book here and there's 6 pages with very little text and a lot of pictures on how to hold the guitar, what all the parts are called, what the stave is, etc and page 7 onwards is all playing with a little paragraph here and there. You're learning everything by playing songs, while other books I've looked at just dump 30-50 pages of theory before there's an exercise you can play along to.

Even if you can play a bit already, it's a great exercise to follow the book from the start. Because you'll be reading off of the stave and tying in what you can already play with how it would be notated. If you commit to playing through it strictly with a metronome you'll tighten up your timing and phrasing by a huge amount, because the book gradually moves from nothing (single semi-breves on the E string) through to complicated rhythms and melodies.

Theory wise, I would go with something that's general and not guitar specific. The 'For Dummies' book isn't too bad and from what I remember the Berklee Music Theory Book is pretty good, but doesn't come with the answers to the quizzes.

Hal Leonard book I mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Guitar-Method-Complete-Edition/dp/0634047019/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378607184&sr=8-1&keywords=hal+leonard+guitar+method+complete+edition
Thanks! I'll check those books out. I need to get in the habit of spending part of my daily practice reading music. It's tough because I play out a lot and have a lot of material to learn/rehearse, but even 20 minutes a day of reading music would add up over time. Phone Post
9/8/13 2:16 AM
Jacks Wasted Life

Kick Boxe -

my newest

Looks awesome - what model Les Paul is it? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.