UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

9/8/13 2:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jacks Wasted Life
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kick Boxe -

my newest

Looks awesome - what model Les Paul is it? Phone Post
9/8/13 2:25 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you commit to working on the stave only, you'll be surprised at how fast you adapt.

I think one of the most rewarding things you can do is take music you already know or any kind of exercise, riff, bassline - whatever you learn or play and write it down in music notation.

It forces you to put everything into a musical context that's completely independent of the guitar. There's no way to half-arse it, you're forced to understand the key, song structure, phrasing, etc in totally unambiguous way to be able to note it down.

It forces you to understand everything at a deeper level, when you rely on tab or youtube videos you're just thinking in terms of mechanically placing the fingers of you left hand on the fretboard. It's monkey-see-monkey-do.

I also like reading music completely away from any instrument. Just clapping my hands, stomping my feet and vocalising it. You look and sound like a complete berk but it definitely develops your musical ability. IMO you must be able to vocalise something first before you can play it on an instrument.
9/18/13 12:16 PM
Passive Jay
1146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I changed my bass strings and it sounds way different! I know that new strings will sound brighter than the old ones but it sounds very brassy and jangly to me. I did change from ernie ball strings to d addario strings but I would not think it would make this big of a difference!

9/18/13 3:14 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passive Jay -

I changed my bass strings and it sounds way different! I know that new strings will sound brighter than the old ones but it sounds very brassy and jangly to me. I did change from ernie ball strings to d addario strings but I would not think it would make this big of a difference!

If the strings are really old and dead, a new set of strings will really bring it to life. I like D'addarios.

I fixed the burr on my Carvin's saddle - I just used a wound string to go over it a bunch of times to take care of any spots. Put a new string on and it seems fine now. Phone Post
9/18/13 3:39 PM
Passive Jay
1146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life - 
Passive Jay -

If the strings are really old and dead, a new set of strings will really bring it to life. I like D'addarios.

I fixed the burr on my Carvin's saddle - I just used a wound string to go over it a bunch of times to take care of any spots. Put a new string on and it seems fine now. Phone Post

Thats kind of what I figured. I have only been playing for a year but the bass sat under my bed for 2 years for before that and who knows how long it was hanging on the wall at guitar center!

9/18/13 10:38 PM
viorage
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passive Jay -
Jacks Wasted Life - 
Passive Jay -

Thats kind of what I figured. I have only been playing for a year but the bass sat under my bed for 2 years for before that and who knows how long it was hanging on the wall at guitar center!

You've only changed them once? Phone Post
9/19/13 8:11 AM
Passive Jay

viorage - 
Passive Jay -
Jacks Wasted Life - 
Passive Jay -

You've only changed them once? Phone Post

Yeah. I was told you dont have to change bass strings nearly as much as guitar strings.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.