UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

9/8/13 2:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you commit to working on the stave only, you'll be surprised at how fast you adapt.

I think one of the most rewarding things you can do is take music you already know or any kind of exercise, riff, bassline - whatever you learn or play and write it down in music notation.

It forces you to put everything into a musical context that's completely independent of the guitar. There's no way to half-arse it, you're forced to understand the key, song structure, phrasing, etc in totally unambiguous way to be able to note it down.

It forces you to understand everything at a deeper level, when you rely on tab or youtube videos you're just thinking in terms of mechanically placing the fingers of you left hand on the fretboard. It's monkey-see-monkey-do.

I also like reading music completely away from any instrument. Just clapping my hands, stomping my feet and vocalising it. You look and sound like a complete berk but it definitely develops your musical ability. IMO you must be able to vocalise something first before you can play it on an instrument.
9/18/13 12:16 PM
Passive Jay
1583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I changed my bass strings and it sounds way different! I know that new strings will sound brighter than the old ones but it sounds very brassy and jangly to me. I did change from ernie ball strings to d addario strings but I would not think it would make this big of a difference!

9/18/13 3:14 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passive Jay -

I changed my bass strings and it sounds way different! I know that new strings will sound brighter than the old ones but it sounds very brassy and jangly to me. I did change from ernie ball strings to d addario strings but I would not think it would make this big of a difference!

If the strings are really old and dead, a new set of strings will really bring it to life. I like D'addarios.

I fixed the burr on my Carvin's saddle - I just used a wound string to go over it a bunch of times to take care of any spots. Put a new string on and it seems fine now. Phone Post
9/18/13 3:39 PM
Passive Jay
1583 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacks Wasted Life - 
Passive Jay -

If the strings are really old and dead, a new set of strings will really bring it to life. I like D'addarios.

I fixed the burr on my Carvin's saddle - I just used a wound string to go over it a bunch of times to take care of any spots. Put a new string on and it seems fine now. Phone Post

Thats kind of what I figured. I have only been playing for a year but the bass sat under my bed for 2 years for before that and who knows how long it was hanging on the wall at guitar center!

9/18/13 10:38 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passive Jay -
Jacks Wasted Life - 
Passive Jay -

Thats kind of what I figured. I have only been playing for a year but the bass sat under my bed for 2 years for before that and who knows how long it was hanging on the wall at guitar center!

You've only changed them once? Phone Post
9/19/13 8:11 AM
Passive Jay

viorage - 
Passive Jay -
Jacks Wasted Life - 
Passive Jay -

You've only changed them once? Phone Post

Yeah. I was told you dont have to change bass strings nearly as much as guitar strings.

5/3/14 8:51 PM
raleigh

How's the playing coming along?
5/3/14 10:02 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I fucking try but I suck, still love it though

5/4/14 9:11 AM
felix1985

Patience and persistence are super important. You're not going to become a guitar god overnight. Practice smart and keep at it. Phone Post 3.0
5/4/14 10:53 AM
JkdSam

I play guitar, but can play bass and do play from time to time. I bought a bass in 1999-2000 and it still has the same set of strings on it lol! When I hear someone talk about breaking a bass string, I imagine them taking an axe to it or something lol.
5/4/14 12:04 PM
viorage

I'm an seeking my Ibanez if anyone is interested I only play my strat and les Paul Phone Post 3.0
5/4/14 12:17 PM
Passive Jay

I am pretty happy with my fretwork and such, now I am concentrating on making it sound better when I play, for example my notes sounded like crap until I realized that I was hitting the strings way to hard to try to hear the notes better. So I turned the bass way up and have been practicing on hitting the strings as light as possible.
5/4/14 1:29 PM
ranier wolfcastle
885 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone here less tone deaf than me wanna figure out the basic chords to this song, please?

5/14/14 7:10 PM
Ryan Wood
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't figure this was worthy of its own thread, but here's my crack at Iron Maiden's The Evil That Men Do:

http://youtu.be/SrKs7_TIL2s
5/14/14 7:57 PM
sewich
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Passive Jay - I am pretty happy with my fretwork and such, now I am concentrating on making it sound better when I play, for example my notes sounded like crap until I realized that I was hitting the strings way to hard to try to hear the notes better. So I turned the bass way up and have been practicing on hitting the strings as light as possible.
Pressing on the strings too hard is another thing that can affect the sound of a ringing note. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/14 8:11 PM
angryinch

ranier wolfcastle - 

anyone here less tone deaf than me wanna figure out the basic chords to this song, please?

Probably got some of it wrong but at first listen, here's what I hear

Verse:  C#   B   B/Bb root (alternately you could play a G# chord instead)

Pre chorus:  F#  C#,  then Eb  G#

The solo is a variation but pretty much the same chords.

If it does anything different after about 2:20 I don't know, that's all I listened to so far.  

5/14/14 8:14 PM
angryinch

btw, that's what I got with my guitar in standard tuning.  I didn't look closely enough to see but it's possible they are tuned down a half step.  If that's the case and you are also tuned down a half step, just move everything I said up a half step and you should be fine.  

5/14/14 8:42 PM
ranier wolfcastle
885 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/14/14 11:42 PM

thanks a mil

heres a studio version for anyone else who might try

5/14/14 11:09 PM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Passive Jay - I am pretty happy with my fretwork and such, now I am concentrating on making it sound better when I play, for example my notes sounded like crap until I realized that I was hitting the strings way to hard to try to hear the notes better. So I turned the bass way up and have been practicing on hitting the strings as light as possible.

This is with the fingers yes?

Maybe when you're using a lot of attack, you aren't letting the string roll off your fingertip.

Being strict with the follow through helps a great deal too I think. Following through to the thumb when plucking the E or to the next string down when plucking the A,D or G strings. Helps with muting too.
22 days ago
theseanster
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife decided she wanted to take up the guitar, so I went down to our local Guitar Center to check a few out. I haven't picked up a guitar in years, but fortunately all of the assholes testing out gear in there sound like complete shit so I was able to feel like less of a doushe.

Of course for her to start I really wanted to get something that I found easy to play back when I was learning (back in ye ole' 80s) so I looked at a Fender strat, a PRS fixed bridge, and randomly...an ESP (shape of a les paul). The ESP was the most expensive but I never could play Les Pauls for shit, so I was really leaning towards the strat because the lead pickups were dual coil and the other 2 weren't. Felt good, looked good....but I gotta tell ya the PRS seemed to feel comfy, sounded great, wasn't as sexy looking as the strat....but fuck it's a PRS and it was fixed bridge. If it was one thing that made my cock limp playing guitar it was having to constantly tune. 

So anyway FRAT:  I bought her the PRS fixed bridge. Hope shit sticks with it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.