UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

11/24/12 12:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this Justin guy is pretty good.  Ive made it to stage one and learned the D chord, but I know I am smashing the fuck out the strings above the frets.  But at least im conscious of it.  I played the D chord for about 15 minutes and going to go back in an hour or so and keep playing just the D chord.

This comes from practicing with my coach "Dennis Hallman"  He would only teach you 1 maybe 2 moves and drill the shit out them and I never forgot anything that way.  When Fabiano Scherner came to teach he would spend 2 hours drilling moves and by the time you were done you forgot them all.  So Im going to go with what works for me.

11/24/12 12:53 PM
DonkeyKick215
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

practice chords. when you are adept, chord progressions

Then scales-major and minor
11/24/12 12:54 PM
invalid
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired Douchebag - 

Wow so many guitarists on this board. This advice is almost like asking for fitness goals, dieting tips, or how to fuck women. Every one knows everything about everything! I wonder if any guitar players would step up if I posted up an OG guitar challenge?

It's almost as if guitars are common!
11/24/12 12:59 PM
viorage
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired Douchebag - 

Wow so many guitarists on this board. This advice is almost like asking for fitness goals, dieting tips, or how to fuck women. Every one knows everything about everything! I wonder if any guitar players would step up if I posted up an OG guitar challenge?

they are all being very helpful to me.  For once an actual thread without a bunch of fighting and arguing.

so Thank you guys

Still voting you guys all up, I think Ive voted some of you up 3 times already. 

Im starting with a nylon .88 pick (justin recommended)  Does that sound right?  He says its more forgiving

11/24/12 1:03 PM
angryinch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired Douchebag - 

I would.  What do you have in mind?

11/24/12 1:03 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired Douchebag -

I'm ur huckleberry... Phone Post
11/24/12 1:04 PM
viorage

here is the first video I think

11/24/12 1:08 PM
viorage

Retired Douchebag - 

I would love to hear. do it

11/24/12 1:39 PM
viorage

Lets see your setups fellas,  I keep hearing this line 6 is a pile of shit, but Im going to keep it for at least 6 months then upgrade, 

11/24/12 3:08 PM
viorage

Questions lets say you are playin the D chord is it okay if your first finger hits B and G since finger 3 is a fret up on the B chord? Phone Post
11/24/12 3:08 PM
viorage

I keep hitting it on accident Phone Post
11/24/12 3:17 PM
viorage

Don't think I worded that right but I am assuming it would be a bad habit to be lazy like that. I think when my fingers toughen up it will be easier Phone Post
11/24/12 5:02 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think it's a problem since ur just starting out. How much ya been practicing? Phone Post
11/24/12 5:10 PM
viorage

I do about an hour in the morning (on my days off) and then about 15-20 minutes every hour or so.

Workdays ill probably do an hour or so when I get home and then 15-20 a little before bed Phone Post
11/24/12 5:15 PM
MrFluffyHippo

Fingers calloused yet? Lol I remember when I was 16 I was grounded all fucking summer. No phone calls no TV no friends over. But I was allowed to keep my guitar!
Fuckin 12 hours a day probably. I really doubt I'm any better than the first 6 months I played. Phone Post
11/24/12 5:25 PM
sewich
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage -

Lets see your setups fellas,  I keep hearing this line 6 is a pile of shit, but Im going to keep it for at least 6 months then upgrade, 

Line 6 make good amps, but the small sypders are not so great, this coming from someone who has played them and not just a hater. For a starting amp they are fine but when you get better and want good tone you will want to step away from the digital amps IMO. Its too late now since you already bought your amp but Vox makes a nice modeling amp similar to your spyder that is actually really nice. Phone Post
11/24/12 5:27 PM
viorage

MrFluffyHippo - Fingers calloused yet? Lol I remember when I was 16 I was grounded all fucking summer. No phone calls no TV no friends over. But I was allowed to keep my guitar!
Fuckin 12 hours a day probably. I really doubt I'm any better than the first 6 months I played. Phone Post
Nope not even close Phone Post
11/24/12 5:29 PM
viorage

sewich -
viorage -

Line 6 make good amps, but the small sypders are not so great, this coming from someone who has played them and not just a hater. For a starting amp they are fine but when you get better and want good tone you will want to step away from the digital amps IMO. Its too late now since you already bought your amp but Vox makes a nice modeling amp similar to your spyder that is actually really nice. Phone Post
Yeah the amp I got I might of messed up on but I'm in an apt so I needed one with headphone plugins and the guy brought me to the line6 Phone Post
11/24/12 6:01 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

Don't worry about that at this point at all.

I started out on a tiny Peavey practice amp that was a piece of shit too.

Doesn't matter when you are first starting, as long as it functions and you can hear yourself ok.

You don't need to spend a ton of money right now on an amp, the guitar is more important.
11/24/12 6:07 PM
DonkeyKick215
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What pickups does the Jimmy Vaughn guitar have? I know the original have tex-mex but I believe you said they were upgraded
11/24/12 6:08 PM
Passive Jay
1573 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if someone posted this I missed it but 1 nice thing about rocksmith is that it has an amp mode where you come play anything you want, this is nice because it has a ton of virtual amps and petals, plus presets that you can use from any of the songs on Rocksmith. so if you have good audio system hooked up to your TV you will have all the equipment you will ever need to practice. Phone Post
11/24/12 6:14 PM
MrFluffyHippo

There's some cool amp apps for the iPhone too. Jamup gets some pretty good sounds. Don't pay $50 for the irig either. Got mine online for $7. Play with headphone or into the amp. Phone Post
11/24/12 6:27 PM
TheHaunted2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired Douchebag -

I aint good enough anymore, im self taught with some serious bad habits. I used to be able to play a lot of songs, but I maybe pick it up once a week, shame really. But I discovered muay thai Phone Post
11/24/12 6:44 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stepped away from this thread for a while.

I like sewich's advice re: keeping strings clean. It really does make a lot of difference for SOME players. If you leave a lot of skin and oils on the strings and you have acidic persperation you can kill them pretty fast. The reason guitar players have so many opinions on the subject is that their experience is so different. Dry,tough hands don't kill strings as fast as soft damp skin. I have customers that destroy strings in less than a week and some that can go a year with the same set.

My strings last longest when I wipe them down after playing, and if I'm feeling lazy about changing them, some FingerEase on a scrap of papertowel wiped up and down each string adds some life if they're a bit cruddy.

Glad to hear you got it set up. Did it make a lot of difference? Did the tech break down what he actually did for it?

11/24/12 6:49 PM
viorage

Racer X - 

Stepped away from this thread for a while.

I like sewich's advice re: keeping strings clean. It really does make a lot of difference for SOME players. If you leave a lot of skin and oils on the strings and you have acidic persperation you can kill them pretty fast. The reason guitar players have so many opinions on the subject is that their experience is so different. Dry,tough hands don't kill strings as fast as soft damp skin. I have customers that destroy strings in less than a week and some that can go a year with the same set.

My strings last longest when I wipe them down after playing, and if I'm feeling lazy about changing them, some FingerEase on a scrap of papertowel wiped up and down each string adds some life if they're a bit cruddy.

Glad to hear you got it set up. Did it make a lot of difference? Did the tech break down what he actually did for it?

yeah he told me what he did.  It did make a difference.  Sounded not much different since it was already in tune

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.