UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> I bought the Guitar

11/24/12 7:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BenBJJ
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/24/12 7:10 PM
viorage - 
BenBJJ - How About this one:

Get. .fucked

??

Sorry. Was drunk
11/24/12 7:12 PM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's this challenge?
11/24/12 7:34 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1861 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BenBJJ -
viorage - 
BenBJJ - How About this one:

Get. .fucked

??

Sorry. Was drunk
Lol Phone Post
11/24/12 7:35 PM
MrFluffyHippo
1861 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
11/24/12 7:43 PM
viorage
353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

raleigh - What's this challenge?

here is the challenge:

by Retired douchebag:

Wow so many guitarists on this board. This advice is almost like asking for fitness goals, dieting tips, or how to fuck women. Every one knows everything about everything! I wonder if any guitar players would step up if I posted up an OG guitar challenge?

11/24/12 7:44 PM
viorage
353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im done for the day my fingers are pretty damn soar

11/24/12 8:29 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on the purchase - you're going to enjoy it.

Most important thing is daily practice. I'd set a minimum goal of 20 minutes per day. If you have more time you can practice as much as you want but no matter what get your 20 minutes in. I get up early in the morning so I can get 30-45 minutes in before work each day.

I'd recommend starting by learning the notes on the fretboard up to the 12th fret (they repeat an octave higher above the 12th fret), open chords and the pentatonic or blues scales. Practice with a metronome and tap your foot - it will really help with your timing. From there, move on to 6th string and 5th string (root note) barre chords and the major and minor scales. Also work on learning songs and keep it fun.

Guitar pro 6 is a fantastic program for learning songs - you can hear what the tabs sound like, slow them down, change the tuning (useful for songs that were recorded 1/2 step flat if you are tuned standard), loop parts, etc...I highly recommend it.

Really the most important thing is the more you play, the better you'll get...it's time with the guitar in your hands and perseverance. Good luck! Phone Post
11/24/12 8:41 PM
MrFluffyHippo

Phone Post
11/24/12 9:41 PM
Stache
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How often do you guys play? Everyday, only when stressed, etc?
11/24/12 9:53 PM
MrFluffyHippo

I'm lucky if I get an hour a month. Went about a year with nothing at all. Trying to get back into it tho. Phone Post
11/24/12 10:08 PM
Extendo
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know you are getting lessons, but I can't recommend using your pinky as much as possible and working on your finger span right from the get go. Phone Post
11/24/12 10:11 PM
MrFluffyHippo

Extendo - I know you are getting lessons, but I can't recommend using your pinky as much as possible and working on your finger span right from the get go. Phone Post
Crazy train Phone Post
11/24/12 10:21 PM
Stache
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrFluffyHippo -  I'm lucky if I get an hour a month. Went about a year with nothing at all. Trying to get back into it tho. Phone Post

Is there a learning curve when you get back into it or does muscle memory take over fairly quickly?
11/24/12 10:27 PM
Retired Douchebag
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

here is the challenge:

by Retired douchebag:

Wow so many guitarists on this board. This advice is almost like asking for fitness goals, dieting tips, or how to fuck women. Every one knows everything about everything! I wonder if any guitar players would step up if I posted up an OG guitar challenge?

Actually I wanted to duel AngryInch (friendly btw not cursory) on a guitar song. I was gonna find a guitar track and see who came up with the better improvisation (or rehearsed). Quality wouldn't matter, and the fans would decide. Top 3 winners would get a blue name, or gift certificate via Visa. I'm still contemplating how to go about it, but I'd like to get people to step aside and put themselves out there - not a challenge to whether or not people offering guitar advice really know how to play. 

I like this backing track so far so it incorporates blues and rock: 

11/25/12 3:12 AM
MrFluffyHippo

Stache -
MrFluffyHippo -  I'm lucky if I get an hour a month. Went about a year with nothing at all. Trying to get back into it tho. Phone Post

Is there a learning curve when you get back into it or does muscle memory take over fairly quickly?
It sucks playing the lead into a solo ya used to know and just stopping. Lol but it comes back pretty quick once ya look over the tabs. The endurance is what kills me when I try to play a faster song and halfway thru I'm struggling to keep my hand moving! Phone Post
11/25/12 3:13 AM
MrFluffyHippo

FYI to everyone

Jam up pro xt is $4.99 on the App Store instead of $19.99 until the 26th. It has some great tones on there. Phone Post
11/25/12 6:59 AM
johnonguitar7
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired Douchebag -
viorage - 

here is the challenge:

by Retired douchebag:

Actually I wanted to duel AngryInch (friendly btw not cursory) on a guitar song. I was gonna find a guitar track and see who came up with the better improvisation (or rehearsed). Quality wouldn't matter, and the fans would decide. Top 3 winners would get a blue name, or gift certificate via Visa. I'm still contemplating how to go about it, but I'd like to get people to step aside and put themselves out there - not a challenge to whether or not people offering guitar advice really know how to play. 

I'm down for whatever bro if it will stop you sounding so high and mighty ;) Phone Post
11/25/12 7:04 AM
viorage

johnonguitar7 - 
Retired Douchebag -
viorage - 

here is the challenge:

by Retired douchebag:

I'm down for whatever bro if it will stop you sounding so high and mighty ;) Phone Post

i want to hear some of you guys play. That would be awesome

11/25/12 7:34 AM
BenBJJ
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/25/12 7:34 AM
I will post a few tracks tomorrow
11/25/12 7:35 AM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

~~ MMA Movember Edition ~~
viorage - 
johnonguitar7 - 
Retired Douchebag -
viorage - 

here is the challenge:

by Retired douchebag:

i want to hear some of you guys play. That would be awesome

New song i'm working on (trash metal) - rough 
(34) [526] by MentaL -

my metal track but the leads are decent and i use a weird pattern on the breakdown. Metal can be hard or complex permitting how you write it. this one is intermediate. 

11/25/12 7:39 AM
viorage

^^^^ sounds good to me, I think those cymbals or something sound kinda to high or something but wtf do I know

11/25/12 7:40 AM
viorage

you have any solo's on the guitar?

11/25/12 7:40 AM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

viorage - 

^^^^ sounds good to me, I think those cymbals or something sound kinda to high or something but wtf do I know

yep, the volume could be lowered a tad on them and maybe cut some of the highs off it too to stop the "tingy" sound. 

11/25/12 7:42 AM
MentaL

viorage - 

you have any solo's on the guitar?

you mean like a showoff track? No , i aint that kind of person although that track has a few diff solo style techniques but nothing too flashy. Also, remember, vibrato is king.

11/25/12 7:43 AM
viorage

Im listening to a your stuff sounds sounds real good.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.