UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Minecraft - Tired of it? Reinvigorate with mod!

11/22/12 3:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey. I bought Minecraft back in the Alpha days. Played it so.damned.much. But I kinda got sick of it. I never fucked around with mods. I ended up not wanting to play it at all. I've done everything in the game.

Then the other day, a friend recommended I try a mod called Feed the Beast. Well a mod pack. It's got like 50 mods in one.

Just wanna pass this tip on, it transforms Minecraft tremendously.

Tons of new ores. New tools. Massive focus on machinery. You build generators, you build battery packs, you build nuclear power plants, you harvest rubber from new types of trees and refine it to make for example insulation for your cables, that connect your machines. You have to deal with energy. Do your generator(s) provide enough power for your added machine?!

You can build a fucking huge ass tunnel bore. With different bore heads. It makes a goddamned TUNNEL for you. You can put tracks and gravel in storage in the bore, and it will lay tracks on its own, and put down gravel it if encounters a ravine etc.

Really takes Minecraft to a whole 'nother level.

So I recommend it to everybody, who wants to get back into Minecraft, and really kick it up a notch.

Sounds like a sales pitch, but I have no affiliation, just loving it.
11/22/12 6:04 PM
Cro Crap
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds awesome. Gonna DL it when I get home, thanks
11/22/12 6:22 PM
PrettyCoolGuy
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does it allow you to open the world to LAN?

Most the mods you describe sound like Techit, which is a combo of mods just like you said, but it only works for single player.
11/22/12 7:13 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually, Tekkit (sic) is the multiplayer branch of Technic. Tekkit works fine multiplayer.

The problem, apparently, with Tekkit, which is awesome, is that they are still using Minecraft 1.2.5 (we're at 1.4.4 now), and it seems to have hit a wall in terms of support and development.

This mod Feed the Beast is, as you say, Tekkit, with some added stuff. I only fucked around with Tekkit for a day before I read about this mod Feed the Beast, so I went with FTB instead, it uses Minecraft 1.4.2, and it has some other cool stuff.

So both FTB and Tekkit work in multiplayer.

Does it allow me to open the world to LAN? I am not entirely sure what you mean, we've only been using Hamachi, which is VPN, but that works fine.

If you are bored with vanilla minecraft, whether you play FTB or Tekkit, which are very similar (they share a ton of mods, FTB just have more updated version and some stuff Tekkit lacks), you will have a lot of fun with a game you might have shelved a long time ago :D
11/22/12 7:28 PM
Motivated Penn

Cro Crap - Sounds awesome. Gonna DL it when I get home, thanks

It IS awesome ;)

Oh, and this mod has single tile logic gates for XOR, NAND etc, saving a lot of effort, if you are into making redstone stuff ;)

If you have a decent PC, you can try using a different texture pack. I am on my laptop now and it runs like molasses here.

Just download the 128x128 version:

http://bdcraft.net/download-purebdcraft-texturepack-for-minecraft

Unfortunately, that pack doesnt include ALL the tiles, so I also recommend getting this file which adds new graphics for the machines:

http://adf.ly/564553/spbdc-patch-ic2-128x

Then just open both of these .zip files in winrar or something, and drag'n'drop the folders from the "patch" file into the texturepack file.

In the in-game menu for Feed the Beast, go to textures, open texture folder, and move the actual .zip texturepack file in there, and select it in the game. You don't have to restart the game, it detects it immediately.

Looks a hell of a lot better.
11/22/12 8:12 PM
PrettyCoolGuy
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Penn - Actually, Tekkit (sic) is the multiplayer branch of Technic. Tekkit works fine multiplayer.

The problem, apparently, with Tekkit, which is awesome, is that they are still using Minecraft 1.2.5 (we're at 1.4.4 now), and it seems to have hit a wall in terms of support and development.

This mod Feed the Beast is, as you say, Tekkit, with some added stuff. I only fucked around with Tekkit for a day before I read about this mod Feed the Beast, so I went with FTB instead, it uses Minecraft 1.4.2, and it has some other cool stuff.

So both FTB and Tekkit work in multiplayer.

Does it allow me to open the world to LAN? I am not entirely sure what you mean, we've only been using Hamachi, which is VPN, but that works fine.

If you are bored with vanilla minecraft, whether you play FTB or Tekkit, which are very similar (they share a ton of mods, FTB just have more updated version and some stuff Tekkit lacks), you will have a lot of fun with a game you might have shelved a long time ago :D

No, I don't mean servers/multiplayer, I just mean the basic open to LAN feature on normal MC. You don't need hamachi to play normal minecraft anymore since the open to LAN option was made.

I guess you're telling me you can't, lol :(.
11/22/12 8:17 PM
Motivated Penn

I have no idea about that, my friend is hosting the server, we've only been playing this mod for two days. He may be using Hamachi from old habit.

The thing is only two weeks old.. there are definitely some issues.

I googled "Feed the beast lan", and people are talking about it, seems to be working reasonably well.
11/28/12 8:29 PM
PrettyCoolGuy

Just wanna say, this mod *does* work with LAN, since it uses the latest version of minecraft.

Played it with my bro, spent ages farming the new mats to build a quarry. It's so much more fun then normal minecraft, thanks for sharing OP! ^_^
11/28/12 8:41 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude, I wanna see a playthrough of this shit! Phone Post
11/28/12 9:00 PM
Motivated Penn

I think it's awesome you gave it a go. Everybody who loves Minecraft vanilla, but is kinda "done" with it, should.

Man.. dude.. there's so much to this mod pack, it's just crazy.

Ok so you have a generator, you want to get some insulated copper cables, a batbox, and an extractor.

That way you can get more rubber from the stuff you get from the trees. The extractor gets 3x as much.. 3 from each.

And you haven't even gotten INTO the rails mod yet, that changes the way tracked vehicles work entirely. I am just dipping my toe into it myself.

Then you have the crazy bee mod. You can locate and harvest bee hives around the world, and I BELIEVE, but I haven't gotten to it yet, you can cross breed them or something? It's like an entire minigame.

A tip: always use the item lookup tool in your inventory, rather than use wikis, when you want to find how to make stuff. They keep changing, and the in-game lookup is trustable, the wikis are often outdated.

If you want to figure out how each aspect of the modpack work, you need to find out what specific mod the item is, and then go to that mod's website, or wiki, for example.

What I really want to do is make that tunnel bore thing. Unfortunately, it requires steel. Steel requires blast furnace. And blast furnace requires.. uhmm.. magma.. something. You can only get that shit in the Nether, Nether fortresses! So that's way into the future for me :D
11/28/12 9:04 PM
Motivated Penn

Oh, and you definitely need to not use the vanilla textures. Since I wrote the first post some new stuff was added, so this is how to do it:

This texture pack is specifically suited for Feed The Beast. You can use either 64px or 128px, I use 64, and it looks great.

You need this file:

http://bdcraft.net/download-purebdcraft-texturepack-for-minecraft

And this file:

http://bdcraft.net/forum/128x64x-feed-beast-beta-pack-texture-pack-add

Then open them both up in individual winrar or winzip windows, drag all the files from the second file into the first file, and then move the new "first file" into the texture folder.

The best way to find the texture folder is to launch the game, get to the main menu, and go to textures, and there is a button to open the folder.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.