UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Hector Camacho Confirmed as Braindead

11/22/12 4:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doctors declared former world champion Hector “Macho” Camacho to be brain dead at 10:00 AM on Thursday. On Wednesday Camacho showed weak and intermittent brain activity still weak and intermittent, but Thursday’s EEG sadly showed no activity. Family and close friends will be allowed to visit the former champion today and the machines keeping his organs functioning will be removed at some point Friday.

Camacho, 50, was world champion in three weight divisions and compiled a record of 79-6-3 with 38 KOs.

A natural-born showman, he was known for his flashy style both inside and outside the ring and he fought all the fight game’s biggest names including Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Felix Trinidad, Oscar de la Hoya, Ray ‘Boom Boom’ Mancini, Vinny Pazienza and Sugar Ray Leonard.

fightnews.com
11/22/12 4:47 PM
Joe Ray

RIP.

11/22/12 5:52 PM
pharochuck
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
That sucks. I was pulling for him. Thought he would pull through with paralysis. Apparently it was a drug deal gone bad, camacho never left the fast lane. I wonder how good he could have been without the partying, drugs and women Phone Post
11/22/12 6:02 PM
Joe Ray

Fuck me. He was fifty years old and still engaging in drug peddling street bullshit?

Surely he made millions from fighting?

He was P4P king once upon a time. And he had unparalleled handspeed.
11/22/12 8:39 PM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He did have some of the fastest hands I've ever seen. Probably should have done more with his career than he did.
11/22/12 9:08 PM
pharochuck
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - He did have some of the fastest hands I've ever seen. Probably should have done more with his career than he did.
I can't see much more he could have done. 40-0 at one point. Beat the toughest guy in the division in Rosario at lightweight. I honestly can't see what more at that stage mayweather had done and he's in, to some people, greatest ever discussion Phone Post
11/22/12 9:29 PM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I think his peak years could have lasted a little longer and he should have made more of a noise at 140 pounds. The drug use and legal problems made him less than he could have been.

But he did have a very good career. No question.
11/23/12 5:17 AM
hackett
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad, sad news.

And yeah, "very good" seems the consensus on Camacho but I don't know if he quite ranks among the all-time greats.

Like that original article says, Camacho fought so many huge names and even got the best of some of them, but generally when they were on the way down.

Still, quite a career. He actually won his first 38 bouts before losing to Greg Haugen in 1991, and was never stopped in 88 pro bouts.

TH
11/23/12 12:18 PM
pharochuck

hackett - Sad, sad news.

And yeah, "very good" seems the consensus on Camacho but I don't know if he quite ranks among the all-time greats.

Like that original article says, Camacho fought so many huge names and even got the best of some of them, but generally when they were on the way down.

Still, quite a career. He actually won his first 38 bouts before losing to Greg Haugen in 1991, and was never stopped in 88 pro bouts.

TH
I watched the Haugen fight and thought he won. I would say his first real loss was Chavez. His win over Rosario was huge at the time. Perhaps with a different lifestyle he could have been one of the great ones. Wished he would have had a better showing against Chavez Phone Post
11/24/12 9:58 AM
MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

~~ MMA Movember Edition ~~

He just died, RIP. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20477872

11/24/12 10:52 AM
Chappie
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad year for boxing, so far in 2012, boxing has lost Manny Stewart, Angelo Dundee, Joe Frazier, Teofilo Stevenson, Carmen Basilo, Burt Sugar, Don Turner, Michael Dokes, Corrie Sanders, Macho Camacho, and seen Paul Williams suffer major life long injury. Not a very happy year for the sport to say the least. Phone Post
11/27/12 7:58 AM
hackett
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chappie -  Sad year for boxing, so far in 2012, boxing has lost Manny Stewart, Angelo Dundee, Joe Frazier, Teofilo Stevenson, Carmen Basilo, Burt Sugar, Don Turner, Michael Dokes, Corrie Sanders, Macho Camacho, and seen Paul Williams suffer major life long injury. Not a very happy year for the sport to say the least. Phone Post

Yep, we lost Johnny Tapia as well.

I watched the (first) Camacho/Haugen fight again recently Pharo, and thought of posting it here (I'd make another thread). It was definitely close, and a really good fight.

Anyway --

RIP Héctor Luís Camacho 1962 - 2012.
12/2/12 11:26 PM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone out there remember when Camacho came to Kronk ?? The guy had an amazing amount of natural talent, What an absolutely terrible loss for boxing this year, just to much, getting older and having to watch the generation before you pass on sucks big time. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.