UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> 2 points for taking the back with no hooks in BJJ?

11/28/12 4:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
er095
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the idea. If someone about to pass my guard i will turtle to avoid the pass, even in class as if there were points being scored. I allways felt i was teaching myself a bad habit for real life situation. Its a martial art and if and in no way you should be giving your back to someone and letting them control you there. You would get pounded out. Phone Post
11/29/12 12:46 AM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

er095 -  I like the idea. If someone about to pass my guard i will turtle to avoid the pass, even in class as if there were points being scored. I allways felt i was teaching myself a bad habit for real life situation. Its a martial art and if and in no way you should be giving your back to someone and letting them control you there. You would get pounded out. Phone Post

In what real life situation is the guy passing your guard and using proper technique to prevent a standup escape from turtle? Your bad habit IMO is letting yourself get controlled in the position, its not a place you should be hanging out in.

That said there are some good points being posted in this thread and the other, I'm starting to lean towards awarding one point for the turtle position. A rule like that would really fit in well with other rules like awarding escape points and reversals.
11/29/12 7:57 AM
er095
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good point, turtling and staying there being controlled is the bad habit. But i believe i stay there because i feel i avoided points being scored and because there are no strikes. I can take my time avoid subs, or getting by back taken with hooks where im able to reset my guard or reverse the position. If there were point giving for that then it forces you to get out of t Phone Post
11/29/12 4:41 PM
chew22
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I could see back points with a backpack grip - over/under for 2 points. If you are gripping around the opponent's body and arms I don't see that as any more of an advantageous position than guard.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.