UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> An example of genetics regarding diet (mine)

11/23/12 5:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Leigh
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys, just wanted to post a sample day for me. Thought you may find it interesting and if not, apologies for taking up 2 mins of your day :)

I decided to keep my weight a little lower for general health reasons and dropped from 155 to 150. I did this by simply not stuffing my face all the time, so effectively skipping breakfast cos I'm not hungry in the AM and smaller carb portion sizes for meals. Still eating fruit.

Well, I ended up dropping to 147 very quickly and thought I better put some back on, so for the last couple of days I've been eating a bit more. As an example, yesterday I ate:

* 1 packet of rusk baby biscuits (700 cals) plus half a pint of milk
* punnet of plums, small amount of chocolate
* 4 1/2 home made burgers (smallish, with no bun), mash potato with butter, bowl of veg. Glass of OJ

In bed:

* Chinese takeaway (large portion king prawns and cashew nuts)
* Portion of chips (fries) from the kebab shop
* Another packet of baby rusks with 1/2 pint of milk

Training: NONE (work from home, didn't go out all day except 2 min walk to takeaway)

Today's weight gain = zero. In fact, I might have lost weight cos I still need a poo

Conclusion - don't copy a cookie cutter diet, you need to personalise your eating plan to YOUR body and goals
11/23/12 6:32 AM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mind = Blown.

I think that someday your eating habits will catch up with you (massive weight gain when you're older of some kind of health problems. I hope neither happen, BTW ;-))

But I agree on your last comment.

There isn't a "one size fits all". Sure, some diets like Paleo will benefit MOST people, but you've got to find what's right for you.

*Note to self: Don't be jealous because you don't have Leigh's genetics* ;-)
11/23/12 6:54 AM
Leigh
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard that comment all my life. "When you hit your mid 20s, you'll get fat."

They came and went.

"When you hit 30, you'll get fat."

Came and went.

I'll be 37 soon and I'm still very lean eating pizzas and cakes. Don't be too jealous though - I really struggle to put size on and will never be hugely muscular
11/23/12 8:16 AM
Tilla

I'm far from jealous.

I think it's pretty ignorant to think that just because your waist isn't going up that your insides are fine.

It ALWAYS comes around ;-)
11/23/12 8:29 AM
Leigh

You made a note about being jealous (in humour). My comment was a response to that.

I never said my insides were fine. Pretty ignorant to think I think that.
11/23/12 11:21 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a lot of slop in my diet too while still being lean too. But I did start having diet related health problems and have had to make some serious changes. Also late 30's.
11/23/12 4:46 PM
Flying knee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_slacker - I have a lot of slop in my diet too while still being lean too. But I did start having diet related health problems and have had to make some serious changes. Also late 30's.
What happened? Phone Post
11/23/12 11:58 PM
Badmonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lean does not equal healthy; how's your blood work?
11/24/12 1:02 AM
andyman011

Apparently your colon can hold like 6 pounds of Shit. Phone Post
11/24/12 8:44 AM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lmao this thread wasn't to say he's healthy. Just to show people are different. Calm down guys. Even though I bet he's pretty damn healthy. Phone Post
11/24/12 10:33 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When someone is lean and muscular generally they are fairly healthy regardless of what they eat. It's the skinny fat people that usually have poor health due to poor diet. How we look has more to do with how our bodies react(insulin wise) to the food we eat. 

Besides Leigh is active enough that I am sure he fairly healthy. 

11/24/12 1:34 PM
vermonter
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/24/12 1:34 PM
I have long been curious how this will catch up to him, because i feel it will.

Now, i have gone for long periods eating the same way, but i was also fat. So it makes sense: Fat = disease.

But what happens to a person that eats that way and exercises while maintaining very low body fat? I don't know...

Now all i eat a piece of homemade beef jerky and a carrot every day and i'll never be less than 180.

Hey... at least my genes are a cheaper date than leigh's.
11/24/12 11:55 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flying knee - 
big_slacker - I have a lot of slop in my diet too while still being lean too. But I did start having diet related health problems and have had to make some serious changes. Also late 30's.

Low white blood cell count, rising cholesterol, all day fatigue that got really bad in the afternoon, decreased libido, joint pain, mucus/sinus drain and generally being a bastard (although the last may not be diet related).
11/25/12 1:52 AM
Red Stuff
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, I haven't had a rusk for about 20 years. Phone Post
11/25/12 4:58 AM
weepingbeaver

I eat what I want when I want, and try to keep it healthy. Portion sizes are decided by how hungry I am, simple as that.

I'm 34 and have never been above 180, but never really lower that 168. I realise the 6-pack dream is over but as long as I can get into a 34-waist I'll live. Phone Post
11/25/12 5:12 AM
andyman011

I'm 19 never been at 150lbs I eat 3 meals a day I'm 5 11 too. I also eat hella fast food and snacks due to munchies and go to the gym when I feel like it (usually once every 3 days). Feel fine look thin with a bit of muscle from infrequent gym. I've never had a heavy build Phone Post
11/25/12 6:07 AM
Leigh

big_slacker -
Flying knee - 

Low white blood cell count, rising cholesterol, all day fatigue that got really bad in the afternoon, decreased libido, joint pain, mucus/sinus drain and generally being a bastard (although the last may not be diet related).
Interesting, I've had these but from excessive training. Cut back and I feel great. What changes to your diet were recommended? Or just stop eating crap? Phone Post
11/25/12 6:09 AM
Leigh

I mean I don't know about the blood work but I got tired a lot, sick and libido dropped. Bit I was doing 6 sparring sessions a week plus weights plus cardio plus a full time job plus running my gym. Phone Post
11/25/12 6:40 PM
big_slacker

I wasn't training excessively. The doc didn't give me diet advice, they actually said nothing was wrong with me despite the numbers (I had just moved, this was my first and last visit to them) and I should see a shrink, haha! I'm a pretty happy guy and they were all fat and pale so I declined their advice.

I basically just made a mental note of how I was feeling after each meal, fairly intuitive. Whey protein, red meat (lean ground beef) and junk food were the big culprits. Around the same time I read about a guy with a similar story who went from couch potato to ultra endurance athlete in a short period by going vegan. I didn't want to do that, but I did decide to cut way back on the red meat (kept it mostly to fish for dinner and occasional chicken) and switch from whey to hemp protein. I also started doing a greens shake in the morning.

It only took a couple of weeks of that for me to not need my 2-3 energy drinks a day, I dropped them almost completely. About a month later I was on a business trip and really didn't want to cook fish at the hotel so I decided to give the full on vegan thing a try. Haven't looked back since then. All day energy, lower food bill, blood work better than it was, etc... The only issue was vitamin D (vegan + seattle weather) which is easy enough to supplement.

I'm not saying everyone needs to go hippy but certainly more fruits/veggies and less junk food is gonna benefit everyone.
11/25/12 7:31 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Age 57 - male
159 lbs

I've always had been on the thin side, and have a fast metabolism. I went thru some years where I was heavier, but I could always control my weight thru diet.

Today:

Breakfast - 2 fried eggs, 2 slices bacon, buttered toast
Lunch - 6 bbq ribs, potato chips, eskimo pie (ice cream bar)
Dinner - 2 Braised chicken thighs over rice

Had a beer watching the football game today, and am now having a glass of wine.

...The weekends I relax my diet a bit.

I am kinda in the off season for tris, but am probably averaging about 5 hrs of cardio a week.

Blood work good.

11/26/12 3:19 AM
Leigh

OK cheers for the response. I'll bear it in mind

Kevin Curtis sounds similar to me. Phone Post
11/26/12 11:50 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_slacker - I wasn't training excessively. The doc didn't give me diet advice, they actually said nothing was wrong with me despite the numbers (I had just moved, this was my first and last visit to them) and I should see a shrink, haha! I'm a pretty happy guy and they were all fat and pale so I declined their advice.

I basically just made a mental note of how I was feeling after each meal, fairly intuitive. Whey protein, red meat (lean ground beef) and junk food were the big culprits. Around the same time I read about a guy with a similar story who went from couch potato to ultra endurance athlete in a short period by going vegan. I didn't want to do that, but I did decide to cut way back on the red meat (kept it mostly to fish for dinner and occasional chicken) and switch from whey to hemp protein. I also started doing a greens shake in the morning.

It only took a couple of weeks of that for me to not need my 2-3 energy drinks a day, I dropped them almost completely. About a month later I was on a business trip and really didn't want to cook fish at the hotel so I decided to give the full on vegan thing a try. Haven't looked back since then. All day energy, lower food bill, blood work better than it was, etc... The only issue was vitamin D (vegan + seattle weather) which is easy enough to supplement.

I'm not saying everyone needs to go hippy but certainly more fruits/veggies and less junk food is gonna benefit everyone.

props on Rich Roll reference.

as bad monkey said lean does not equal healthy ALWAYS but it's still a good indication of one's health. Where I think this begins to dissipate is approaches like lean gains where MB doesn't stress eating clean as long as you fast (he talks about eating cheese cake etc). So whilst he may be lean as heck doesn't mean his blood work is all that. Supposedly, many people talk about poor blood work while implementing lean gains. Dr. Berardi speaks about this and the reasons for it in the IF e-book I had the link for but keep in mind he's also eating pretty clean/healthy while implementing it except for one day week where he just eats whatever.

As Leigh said don't ever copy and paste a diet. So even though it's working for him (to stay lean) it doesn't mean it will work for you. A lot of folks would see this and say "wow I can eat crap and be lean?" without taking into the account what he said about genetics. Which is where I think "cookie cutter diets" actually help people IF THERE'S AN EXPLANATION BEHIND IT.

11/26/12 12:20 PM
disbeliever
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Awesome post Leigh, and you're right, everyone is different.
11/26/12 3:38 PM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been recently eating way less clean and my weight has dropped nicely...
11/26/12 5:27 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently had my first noticable food hang over a couple of days ago. We had pizza for supper and I felt absolutely horrible all the next day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.