UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How did fighter pay in Pride compare to UFC?

11/23/12 5:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fedoral Crime
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unfortunately, I never got to see Pride in its heyday, but having looked back at most fights on YouTube and more recently Radio Raheem's super awesome thread, it looked like the cards were always stacked.

It got a muthafucka thinking, how much did the top fighters get paid? Was it more than what UFC fighters get now? Or what about the lower level fighters? Did they get at least $6,000 per fight? I just don't know what I'll do if I don't get answers to these questions. Phone Post
11/23/12 5:33 AM
Easytarget
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read that Hendo got, 50k for his fight with big Nog in Pride.

Now at that time it may have been big dollars i dont know.

11/23/12 5:40 AM
absoluteidiot
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The top jap fighters (Saku, Yoshida etc) apparently got 1 million? Phone Post
11/23/12 5:45 AM
VitorSuckedBonesToes
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the time, on average, it blew everyone else away.

11/23/12 6:12 AM
Dane Oss

I get a feeling the big guys got paid big, the lower guys did not. Chris Brennan didn't get paid for his fight at bushido 1, instead he got to take the canvas home, came with the blood of Don caras jnr on it to. I think he might of sold it for some decent coin. He posts here so maybe he could clarify? Phone Post
11/23/12 6:25 AM
3 Sided Square
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rampage talked about it in the Ariel NYC interview.

46:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp3DrT4nmz8

"In PRIDE the lower level guys got paid more than the lower level guys in the UFC. But, in Pride I remember some guys that were pretty much well known in PRIDE that were only making $5,000 a fight. It was different between different people. Some people were making really good money, some people wasn't. I can honestly say the most I ever made in PRIDE was a hundred G's in cash."
11/23/12 6:29 AM
Brigham
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 Sided Square - Rampage talked about it in the Ariel NYC interview.

"In PRIDE the lower level guys got paid more than the lower level guys in the UFC. But, in Pride I remember some guys that were pretty much well known in PRIDE that were only making $5,000 a fight. It was different between different people. Some people were making really good money, some people wasn't. I can honestly say the most I ever made in PRIDE was a hundred G's in cash."
Rampage also said the most he ever got was 100k Phone Post
11/23/12 6:29 AM
Brigham
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brigham -

Looks like you said that so, I'm an idiot lol Phone Post
11/23/12 6:46 AM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In their heyday Pride paid more than the ufc at the time which is why most of the big names were there.
Now the ufc blows those salaries out the water
11/23/12 6:58 AM
Fedoral Crime
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

absoluteidiot - The top jap fighters (Saku, Yoshida etc) apparently got 1 million? Phone Post
Yeah I think I read somewhere that Rickson got around the same. I remember seeing fighters hold up those giant cheques and that's what got me curious on what they made. I mean they were giant cheques! I would of hoped they were over $50,000 cos anything less on a giant cheque is misleading IMO. Phone Post
11/23/12 7:04 AM
Fedoral Crime

BROTHER WISDOM - In their heyday Pride paid more than the ufc at the time which is why most of the big names were there.
Now the ufc blows those salaries out the water
Yeah it seems that way alright but when you think of how many big name fighters were on the same cards it must of added up to a pretty big number. I guess what I'm trying to say is . . . Pride was fucking awesome! Fuck U . . . FC! Haha! Phone Post
11/23/12 7:34 AM
Fedoral Crime

Only jokin btw, I love both but in terms of rules and the overall show, I don't think there will ever be anything that beats Pride. Phone Post
11/23/12 7:50 AM
kungfugrip
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's compare a failed business model with a successful model? Seems like a good idea.

Other factors exist, but business find ways to stay open when they make money. Taking care of fighters to an extent that it eats up too much money isn't good
11/23/12 7:54 AM
Tilla

In.
11/23/12 11:06 AM
TightTriangle
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They used to pay fighters in cash only. Badass. Phone Post
11/23/12 11:20 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
absoluteidiot -  The top jap fighters (Saku, Yoshida etc) apparently got 1 million? Phone Post

Is there any reliable source for this?
11/23/12 12:00 PM
ranier wolfcastle
876 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

around 2000 pride was paying way more than ufc

11/23/12 1:16 PM
Hansumboy

kungfugrip - Let's compare a failed business model with a successful model? Seems like a good idea.

Other factors exist, but business find ways to stay open when they make money. Taking care of fighters to an extent that it eats up too much money isn't good

Pride didnt fail because they paid their fighters too much idiot. They failed because a major Japanese network black listed them for having Yakuza connections. Every MMA fan with half a brain knows this.
11/23/12 1:41 PM
dingdong_malice

WWETopTeam - Pride payed 5 times more than the UFC, hence Fedor, CroCop, Big Nog vs Sylvia and Arlovski Shogun, Rampage, Wand, Lil Nog, Overeem, Hendo vs Chuck and Randy

Im fairly certain that Chuck, Tito, Randy and Ken shamrock were getting paid more than all those guys you listed except for maybe Wand.

Ken allegedly got $2.5million for his second fight with Tito and UFC 66 did more then a million buys.

HW's must have got paid more in pride. Sylvia left the UFC because he felt he could get paid more elsewhere, he was reported to make $800,000 against fedor which allegedly is the actual amount he got paid, so its safe to assume he was getting less then that in the UFC.
11/23/12 1:41 PM
yrrepttam

straight cash homie
11/23/12 1:57 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much did you get if you won a GP? I've also heard the top Japanese fighters and others made a million a fight. Silva, GSP, and Jones all make that so it's not surprising. Phone Post
11/23/12 1:58 PM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy -  How much did you get if you won a GP? I've also heard the top Japanese fighters and others made a million a fight. Silva, GSP, and Jones all make that so it's not surprising. Phone Post

I can't recall, but I do know the GP belts were worth a shitload of money as well.
11/23/12 2:08 PM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kungfugrip - Let's compare a failed business model with a successful model? Seems like a good idea.

The reason Pride folded had nothing to do with fighter pay, and if you'd read of the thread, or any of the similar ones over the years, you'd know Pride wasn't all that generous.
11/23/12 2:52 PM
Snooty

HolyAvengerP5 -
Brigham - 

actually, the most rampage ever said he made was a hundred thousand dollars

get your facts straight
As a matter of fact, the most Ramage ever said he got was 100k Phone Post
11/23/12 4:05 PM
SonofJockstrap
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Then he's lying or the AC's are, he's had reported payouts of $250k before.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.