UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How did fighter pay in Pride compare to UFC?

11/23/12 4:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kungfugrip - Let's compare a failed business model with a successful model? Seems like a good idea.

Other factors exist, but business find ways to stay open when they make money. Taking care of fighters to an extent that it eats up too much money isn't good

Had to voted this poster up for using common sense;)

Cindy

11/23/12 4:34 PM
CindyO

Hansumboy - 
kungfugrip - Let's compare a failed business model with a successful model? Seems like a good idea.

Other factors exist, but business find ways to stay open when they make money. Taking care of fighters to an extent that it eats up too much money isn't good

Pride didnt fail because they paid their fighters too much idiot. They failed because a major Japanese network black listed them for having Yakuza connections. Every MMA fan with half a brain knows this.

I think what he's saying (or at least how I interpreted his post) is that fighter pay isn't everything- there are other factors to consider like HOW a company does business. If the company goes under it doesn't matter what they pay the talent as those guys will be out of a job. Is that what you are calling him an idiot for?

Cindy

11/23/12 4:38 PM
CindyO

SonofJockstrap - 

^Then he's lying or the AC's are, he's had reported payouts of $250k before.

Which athletic commission reported Rampage made 250k in Pride?

Cindy

11/23/12 4:50 PM
Steve4192
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryann Von Doom - 
ranier wolfcastle -

around 2000 pride was paying way more than ufc

Up to 2006.. Then it fell apart due to k1 exposing the yakuza times Phone Post

That's half of it.

The other half is that at the same time Pride was struggling with Yakuza issues, their primary competitor was experiencing a massive revenue boom thanks to TUF.  Sakakibara talked about no longer being able to match the UFC dollar-for-dollar in an early 2006 Sherdog interview and it wasn't long after that that the UFC poached Cro Cop and Big Nog.  Both of those guys came over BEFORE Pride went in the crapper.

11/23/12 4:53 PM
Steve4192
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yrrepttam - straight cash homie

^ This

Pride fighters were getting paid in brown paper bags full of cash.  A number of the old school Pride guys talked about being uncomfortable walking around with so much cash on them, but unreported 'cash under the table' is worth a little discomfort.

11/23/12 5:45 PM
Kenso
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/12 5:46 PM
HolyAvengerP5 - 
Brigham - 
3 Sided Square - Rampage talked about it in the Ariel NYC interview.

46:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp3DrT4nmz8

"In PRIDE the lower level guys got paid more than the lower level guys in the UFC. But, in Pride I remember some guys that were pretty much well known in PRIDE that were only making $5,000 a fight. It was different between different people. Some people were making really good money, some people wasn't. I can honestly say the most I ever made in PRIDE was a hundred G's in cash."

Rampage also said the most he ever got was 100k Phone Post

actually, the most rampage ever said he made was a hundred thousand dollars

get your facts straight

You're both wrong. Actually, the most Rampage ever said he made was 10 million cents.
11/23/12 5:51 PM
SonofJockstrap
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
SonofJockstrap - 

^Then he's lying or the AC's are, he's had reported payouts of $250k before.

Which athletic commission reported Rampage made 250k in Pride?

Cindy

I meant UFC, maybe the person above my post was saying Rampage has said the most he ever made in PRIDE was 100k. The poster didn't clarify that he meant only PRIDE though, so I was adding in that he's made $250k show money in the UFC.

I guess I wasn't very clear either.

11/25/12 12:22 AM
Fedoral Crime
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HolyAvengerP5 -
Brigham - 

"In PRIDE the lower level guys got paid more than the lower level guys in the UFC. But, in Pride I remember some guys that were pretty much well known in PRIDE that were only making $5,000 a fight. It was different between different people. Some people were making really good money, some people wasn't. I can honestly say the most I ever made in PRIDE was a hundred G's in cash."

get your facts straight
That's complete bullshit! Rampage made ONE hundred thousand dollars, ok? That's 1 with a capital O. There's so much misinformation on this forum, it drives me crazy sometimes. Phone Post
11/26/12 12:15 PM
NorthFromHere
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Talked to one old school Japanese insider about PRIDE salaries. According the source during the PRIDE golden days Saku got 250-400K per fight. His salary was actually paid to Takada dojo that then gave Saku his share.
Sapp also got 400k for one big fight when he was in top form(dont know which. Fujita?).
11/26/12 12:21 PM
French Fries Malone
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HolyAvengerP5 -
Brigham - 

get your facts straight
Guys, rampage also stated that the most he got was 100 000.00$ cash Phone Post
11/26/12 12:36 PM
MasterofMartialArts
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So everyone got paid in cash? Phone Post
11/26/12 2:00 PM
Steve4192

NorthFromHere - Talked to one old school Japanese insider about PRIDE salaries. According the source during the PRIDE golden days Saku got 250-400K per fight. His salary was actually paid to Takada dojo that then gave Saku his share.
Sapp also got 400k for one big fight when he was in top form(dont know which. Fujita?).

Yep.

They always paid the team and let them figure out how much to give the fighter.  More often than not, the gyms kept more than their fair share.  That is why almost all of the great teams from the Pride era died off almost immediately after Pride folded.  Once the fighters started getting paid directly, they realized just how badly their teams had been fucking them.

11/26/12 2:10 PM
dingdong_malice

Steve4192 - 
NorthFromHere - Talked to one old school Japanese insider about PRIDE salaries. According the source during the PRIDE golden days Saku got 250-400K per fight. His salary was actually paid to Takada dojo that then gave Saku his share.

Yep.

They always paid the team and let them figure out how much to give the fighter.  More often than not, the gyms kept more than their fair share.  That is why almost all of the great teams from the Pride era died off almost immediately after Pride folded.  Once the fighters started getting paid directly, they realized just how badly their teams had been fucking them.

I know a lot of guys here rag on him, but this is one of the reasons why i have a lot of respect for how DFW does business.

I still remember all the shit he was getting for the overeem/golden glory fiasco a year or so back, but it was to prevent stuff like you mentioned.
11/29/12 1:50 AM
Fedoral Crime
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere - Talked to one old school Japanese insider about PRIDE salaries. According the source during the PRIDE golden days Saku got 250-400K per fight. His salary was actually paid to Takada dojo that then gave Saku his share.
Thanks bra, I always wondered how much Bob Sapp and other freaks made. I'd say he would got the most out of all the freaks too.
I actually thought Saku would of got more since he was the biggest Japanese star and arguably one of the best P4P at one time.
What about Fedor, Wand and Cro Cop? Does anyone have any good sources for what they made? Phone Post
11/29/12 1:53 AM
Fedoral Crime

fat referee -
Fedoral Crime - 
absoluteidiot - The top jap fighters (Saku, Yoshida etc) apparently got 1 million? Phone Post
Yeah I think I read somewhere that Rickson got around the same. I remember seeing fighters hold up those giant cheques and that's what got me curious on what they made. I mean they were giant cheques! I would of hoped they were over $50,000 cos anything less on a giant cheque is misleading IMO. Phone Post

You see! That's exactly what I'm talking about! Look at how unhappy, Happy is in that pic. Even he knows a giant oversized cheque should be worth at least $50K. Phone Post
11/29/12 2:08 AM
dingdong_malice

Fedoral Crime - 
NorthFromHere - Talked to one old school Japanese insider about PRIDE salaries. According the source during the PRIDE golden days Saku got 250-400K per fight. His salary was actually paid to Takada dojo that then gave Saku his share.
Thanks bra, I always wondered how much Bob Sapp and other freaks made. I'd say he would got the most out of all the freaks too.
I actually thought Saku would of got more since he was the biggest Japanese star and arguably one of the best P4P at one time.
What about Fedor, Wand and Cro Cop? Does anyone have any good sources for what they made? Phone Post

According to wiki fedor got $400k at pride 32.
11/29/12 2:10 AM
Rear Naked Chode
594 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedoral Crime - 
HolyAvengerP5 -
Brigham - 

get your facts straight
That's complete bullshit! Rampage made ONE hundred thousand dollars, ok? That's 1 with a capital O. There's so much misinformation on this forum, it drives me crazy sometimes. Phone Post

I'm pretty sure rampage said the most he ever got paid was a hundred G's.
11/29/12 2:12 AM
dingdong_malice

dingdong_malice - 
Fedoral Crime - 

Also for both of Fedors fights in Affliction he got $300,000 (which was less then sylvia and arlovski). And affliction would release the actual amount fighters were paid (compared to the ufc who keep the bulk of it secret).
11/29/12 2:25 AM
ShakeR_
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone paying someone that amount of money in 'cash' is either laundering money, evading taxes, or both. Phone Post
11/29/12 2:56 AM
Fedoral Crime

Wu Massacre -
Fedoral Crime - 

You calling Bob Sapp a freak is disgusting.

Bob Sapp won his first 2 PRIDE fights, gave Nog one of his toughest fights (an all time great MMA fight, amazing fight), and KO'd Hoost Twice
Believe it or not I was one of the few people defending Bobby Sapp when Ariel tried to humiliate him on his show. Me calling him a freak isn't disgusting, he was a freak. Giant Silva, Hong Man Choi, Manny Yarborough and . . . Joe Son, all freaks. A freak doesn't always have to be bad. Brock Lesnar was a freak too and he was a UFC HW champion so like I mean, whatever dude. If Bob Sapp isnt a freak, what is he? Im not sure if u were serious but I can assure you I am. I am also definitely not gay. Phone Post
11/29/12 4:02 AM
MasterofMartialArts
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedoral Crime -
Wu Massacre -
Fedoral Crime - 

You calling Bob Sapp a freak is disgusting.

Bob Sapp won his first 2 PRIDE fights, gave Nog one of his toughest fights (an all time great MMA fight, amazing fight), and KO'd Hoost Twice
Believe it or not I was one of the few people defending Bobby Sapp when Ariel tried to humiliate him on his show. Me calling him a freak isn't disgusting, he was a freak. Giant Silva, Hong Man Choi, Manny Yarborough and . . . Joe Son, all freaks. A freak doesn't always have to be bad. Brock Lesnar was a freak too and he was a UFC HW champion so like I mean, whatever dude. If Bob Sapp isnt a freak, what is he? Im not sure if u were serious but I can assure you I am. I am also definitely not gay. Phone Post
I get what you mean. A freak, a huge giant, athletic guy. Phone Post
11/29/12 4:13 AM
dingdong_malice

Wu Massacre - Overall PRIDE pay was less, it was earlier, probably higher than UFC pay at that time by a lot, but one thing is for damn sure - their cards were STACKED! UFC on FOX 5 is going to be Great.. but it's still not as good as a PRIDE card!

Fucking look at this chit.. picked a middle number and pulled a few..

PRIDE 24

Daijiro Matsui vs. Kazuki Okubo
Matsui defeated Okubo via unanimous decision.

Guy Mezger vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Nogueira defeated Mezger via split decision.

Valentijn Overeem vs. Ron Waterman
Waterman defeated Overeem via submission (keylock) at 2:18 of round 1.

Rodrigo Gracie vs. Yuki Sasaki
Gracie defeated Sasaki via unanimous decision.

Alexander Otsuka vs. Yoshihisa Yamamoto
Yamamoto defeated Otsuka via TKO (leg injury) at 5:00 of round 2.
Bazigit Atajev vs. Alistair Overeem
Overeem defeated Atajev via TKO (knee to the body) at 4:59 of round 2.

Kevin Randleman vs. Murilo Rua
Randleman defeated Rua via TKO (cut) at 0:20 of round 3.

Non-Title bout: Dan Henderson vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Nogueira defeated Henderson via submission (armbar) at 1:49 of round 3.

PRIDE 25

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Nogueira defeated Nakamura via submission (armbar) at 3:49 of round 2.

Akira Shoji vs. Alex Stiebling
Shoji defeated Stiebling via split decision.

Alexander Otsuka vs. Kenichi Yamamoto
Otsuka defeated Yamamoto via unanimous decision.

Carlos Newton vs. Anderson Silva
Silva defeated Newton via KO (flying knee and punches) at 6:27 of round 1.

Dan Henderson vs. Shungo Oyama
Henderson defeated Oyama via TKO (punches) at 3:28 of round 1.

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Antonio Schembri
Schembri defeated Sakuraba via TKO (knees) at 6:15 of round 1.

No. 1 Contender bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Kevin Randleman
Jackson defeated Randleman via TKO (punches) at 6:58 of round 1.

Pride Heavyweight Championship bout: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Emelianenko defeated Nogueira via unanimous decision.

PRIDE 27

Dan Bobish vs. Igor Vovchanchyn
Vovchanchyn defeated Bobish via TKO (punches) at 1:45 of round 2.

Sergei Kharitonov vs. Cory Peterson
Kharitonov defeated Peterson via submission (armbar) at 1:23 of round 1.

Alexander Otsuka vs. Murilo Rua
Rua defeated Otsuka via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 1:25 of round 1.

Alberto Rodriguez vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura
Nakamura defeated Rodriguez via unanimous decision.
Mark Kerr vs. Yoshihisa Yamamoto

Yamamoto defeated Kerr via TKO (punches) at 0:40 of round 1. Kerr knocked himself unconscious attempting a takedown.

Heath Herring vs. Gan McGee
Herring defeated McGee via split decision.

Mirko Filipovi? vs. Ron Waterman
Filipovi? defeated Waterman via TKO (soccer kicks) at 4:37 of round 1.

I wouldnt say any of those cards were particularly stacked (especially pride 27 lol).

It was usually the Grand prixs that were stacked (especially the 03 and 05 one)
11/29/12 9:31 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't The Hammer Coleman paid 50K to throw that fight against the Japanese can Takada?

11/29/12 10:07 AM
AZKIEL
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find the "paid in cash" thing hard to believe. Anyone ever try to fly internationally with like $50,000 cash? Am I missing something?

Very possible for some of the smaller purses (under 10k), but I'd be pretty surprised otherwise.
11/29/12 10:18 AM
john joe
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web monkey
dingdong_malice - 
dingdong_malice - 
Fedoral Crime - 

Also for both of Fedors fights in Affliction he got $300,000 (which was less then sylvia and arlovski). And affliction would release the actual amount fighters were paid (compared to the ufc who keep the bulk of it secret).

affliction and other companies release the official purses that are paid to fighters

they dont reveal the 'consultancy fees' and other ancillaries that are paid to the fighter as part of his appearance on the show, as these are private business transactions between two legal entities and are nothing to do with the AC, which oversees payments for athletic performance only

Fedor (or rather, M1) got a hell a lot more than 300k

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.