UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey likely to main event UFC PPV

11/23/12 10:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MentaL
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

~~ MMA Movember Edition ~~

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/11/18/3660912/ronda-rousey-likely-to-main-event-ufc-pay-per-view-in-debut-dana-white?sct=mma_t2_a8

MONTREAL -- Here's how much the UFC thinks of Ronda Rousey and her exploding star power: the newly signed women's bantamweight champion will most likely main event a pay-per-view in her octagon debut, UFC president Dana White said.

"She's the champ," he said. "Unless there's a weight division higher than her that the champ would be defending the title, then yeah, she'd be the main event."

That's quite a turnaround for White, who as recently as 2011 said women would "never" fight in a UFC cage.

White specifically said that Rousey would be placed on a pay-per-view event instead of a FOX or FX card, with the hope of popping a big buy rate based on Rousey's crossover appeal and proven ability to lure in mainstream media. The 25-year-old former Olympic judo bronze medalist has already done major spots on late-night talk shows, been on magazine covers and kept her name in the news through well-crafted sound bytes.

She recently moved to 6-0 after beating Sarah Kaufman via her favored victory method, a first-round arm bar.

The only thing White didn't know is when she would be likely to make her octagon debut, though from his answer, it seemed the sooner, the better.

"Next Saturday," he said when asked when he'd like to see it happen. "But I don't know when she's going to."

11/23/12 10:48 AM
XcessiveZ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would like to see her fight in the UFC but I won't be paying to see her headline a card. Phone Post
11/23/12 10:49 AM
UGCTT_SMASHED BY A BIG RIG!
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless that card is fucking stacked to the gills.....would not buy. Phone Post
11/23/12 10:50 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, that's nice.

I'll be streaming it.

Thanks for the heads up, Zuffa.
11/23/12 10:52 AM
BaraoKix

Not paying $55.00 to watch her armbar her opponent in less than 2 mins...

Im happy that shes in the UFC, they should put her on a card with another title fight as the main event.

She would make for a great Co-main...
11/23/12 10:54 AM
smth416
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at Dana White. Does he ever stick to his word anymore?

And he should check out the thread here where over half of the UFCs biggest fans say they won't pay for that PPV Phone Post
11/23/12 10:55 AM
Bry Bry

im def not buying this card if this is true..not a fan of womens mma..
11/23/12 10:57 AM
victorpoprock
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wtf is the matter with you guys saying you will never buy a ppv with a woman's fight? Are you even fans?

I've seen some great fucking fights between women. How could you not want to see Ronda fight in the UFC? Phone Post
11/23/12 10:59 AM
Priest Driven Ambulance
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll buy, I like Rousey. They will stack the card tho. Otherwise it will totally Fucking bomb. At the end of the day, its still a woman head lining a PPV, so damage control on the rest of the card is probably needed. Happy for her tho. Phone Post
11/23/12 11:04 AM
UGCTT_SMASHED BY A BIG RIG!
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if they'll actually have the mindset to stack the card? If Dana has anything to do with it, he'll be thinking with his dick and not his head. It'll all be about Ronda probably : / Phone Post
11/23/12 11:06 AM
caposa
1417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they are overestimating Rondas popularity. I don't think she's ready to headline a PPV. But what the fuck do I know.

11/23/12 11:06 AM
DWTF
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoy watching flyweights and the other smaller guys fight, but head lining a PPV with a woman will not get my 50 dollars, period.
11/23/12 11:08 AM
DAVID H
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

victorpoprock -  Wtf is the matter with you guys saying you will never buy a ppv with a woman's fight? Are you even fans?

I've seen some great fucking fights between women. How could you not want to see Ronda fight in the UFC? Phone Post

I watch mma, but not womens mma. I love boxing, but will not watch womens boxing. I watch the NBA, but hate the WNBA.

Some people just don't have any interest in watching womens sports...
11/23/12 11:09 AM
Large Fun Bags

I can't help but think Ronda has been giving Dana a whole lot of blowjobs these past couple of months Phone Post
11/23/12 11:11 AM
jjchgo
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no thanks, will not be purchasing.
11/23/12 11:16 AM
Voiceinthedesert

Sorry, but I feel it would be disrespectful to the fighters who have paid their dues. Her fight could be on the main card, but at least no higher than third.

The women's division is an absolute joke. At this point, this is what I would consider a freakshow fight, not unlike Couture vs. Toney.
11/23/12 11:17 AM
udk

Edited: 11/23/12 11:17 AM
here's another that won't be purchasing this one.
very bad decision...hope dana's having fun.
11/23/12 11:21 AM
XxLiveBaitxX
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like to see her on a PPV card but not a PPV Main Event Headliner for her first fight.
The women's 135 lb division should be brought along much like the 125 men's flyweight.
The women should have a 4 person 135 tourney and crown the champion on a PPV. At the very least 4 women will be introduced to the UFC viewer rather than 2.

11/23/12 11:22 AM
MMALOGIC

it could be a big mistake if she headlines a ppv... it could hurt the brand.  Female mma can get ratings but it has yet to prove that it can sell tickets or ppv.   

it would be prudent to not go beyond co-main on ppv under a jon jones, GSP, jds, anderson title fight or she can main event an fx card.

Even Fox would be gamble... the ratings would be stellar but i dont know if you'd want people associating the brand with Female MMA that much.  especially since it's a new audience.

11/23/12 11:22 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Better be a a good 4 fight main card Phone Post
11/23/12 11:42 AM
Jweinberg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome- Phone Post
11/23/12 11:43 AM
Larry Appleton

Honda/Cyborg would get a huge buy rate, but Dana doesn't want to see Rousey get mauled by the Brazilian, either Phone Post
11/23/12 11:43 AM
PatsBarriesGotKongo

Wicked! Phone Post
11/23/12 11:45 AM
Fernando Alonso

I'll buy Ronda's always exciting to watch fight. Phone Post
11/23/12 11:51 AM
AlexanderTheGOAT

Of the card isn't stack the buy rates will be historically low Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.